Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

It only took me about 20 tries, but I finally beat Dracula. It might’ve taken so long because I insisted on using Simon with Alucard as my spirit. And it turns out Dracula’s spirit is enhancable, and from my Castlevania knowledge I think I can guess who he’ll transform into... Speaking of which, is it possible to get another Dracula spirit afterwards?

As another question, is there a guide as to what Spirits are exclusive to the Spirit Board and shops? I want to fight as many spirit battles as possible, but I wouldn’t want to bother aiming for Caeda or Akuma (for example) on the Spirit Board since they’re available in World of Light.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It only took me about 20 tries, but I finally beat Dracula. It might’ve taken so long because I insisted on using Simon with Alucard as my spirit. And it turns out Dracula’s spirit is enhancable, and from my Castlevania knowledge I think I can guess who he’ll transform into... Speaking of which, is it possible to get another Dracula spirit afterwards?

As another question, is there a guide as to what Spirits are exclusive to the Spirit Board and shops? I want to fight as many spirit battles as possible, but I wouldn’t want to bother aiming for Caeda or Akuma (for example) on the Spirit Board since they’re available in World of Light.

Caeda is definitely found in the World of Light map. 

Spoiler

You can find her pretty close to the Sacred World. 

32 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Caeda is definitely found in the World of Light map. 

Reveal hidden contents

You can find her pretty close to the Sacred World. 

I actually have Caeda and Akuma already, I was using them as examples of Legends who I tried to get through the Spirit Board but I got in World of Light instead. I would rather avoid that in the future which is why I asked if there’s a list of what spirits are exclusive to where.

Though on that note I guess I wouldn’t mind knowing if Azura is available in World of Light (though I would rather not know where).

8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Though on that note I guess I wouldn’t mind knowing if Azura is available in World of Light (though I would rather not know where).

She is and also in the Spirit Board.

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

Speaking of which, is it possible to get another Dracula spirit afterwards?

I want to say yes if you start a new save file of World of Light, since you do at least get normal spirits again in a new game+ file.

5 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I just wish that in the case of Pokemon, hair color wasn't completely tied to skin tone options. I'm blonde, but I'm not Snow White pale, man. Let me pick blonde and slightly tan. Hair color and skin tone options should be separate. Heck, maybe let me pick some crazy hair colors like in FE!

Er, hair color isn't stapled to skin in any Pokemon game with customization in it save for the Let's Go games (and maybe Pokemon Go? Haven't really played it so I dunno). You just choose the proper skin color and get your hair color changed at a salon. SuMo unlocks more color options like magenta post-game (though it's admittedly not a decent amount of unnatural hair colors).

1 minute ago, NoirCore said:

Er, hair color isn't stapled to skin in any Pokemon game with customization in it save for the Let's Go games (and maybe Pokemon Go? Haven't really played it so I dunno). You just choose the proper skin color and get your hair color changed at a salon. SuMo unlocks more color options like magenta post-game (though it's admittedly not a decent amount of unnatural hair colors).

I was referring to Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. Should've specified.

The grand finale of World of Light was really nice. I'm very happy I hadn't accidentally spoiled myself on that part. 

But as for the ending. It shows World of Light might have needed a little more time even if you go in with low expectations. 

Spoiler

Given the nature of the mode so far I wasn't expecting a huge cutscene but I at least hoped those that spoke in the opening would get to do a nice little victory cry while the others cheered on the background. Instead it just...ends. 

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I can identify the Legends who can appear on the Spirit Board but not in WoL if you want: 

Spoiler

Donkey Kong & Lady
Wind Fish
Queen Metroid
Baby Bowser
Articuno, Zapdos, & Moltres
Mew; is a challenge board reward, but can start showing up on the Spirit Board after earning him
Deoxys (Normal Forme)
Manaphy
Ninten
Paula
Ness's Father
Black Shadow
Wario-Man
Liquid Snake
Super Sonic
Pyra; can also be found in Anna's shop
Sukapon

Aside from that, there are certain spirits that I believe you can only initially obtain by summoning them (which is to say, you'll never see them on the Spirit Board until you summon them). They are: 

Spoiler

Gold Mario: requires Metal Mario, Super Mushroom and Fire Flower
Cat Princess Peach: requires Rover and Baby Peach
Birdo: requires T-Rex and Starly
Thwomp: requires Rock Pikmin and Rocky
Nabbit: requires Duster and any Attack Type spirit
King Bob-omb: requires Shake King and Bob-omb
Shadow Mario: requires Vince, Eddy, and any Neutral Type spirit
Sprixie Princesses: requires Wanda and Princess Shokora
Cappy: requires Ezlo and Boo Mario
Master Cycle: requires Mach Rider, City Tripper (which I think can only be found in Funky's shop), Excitebike, and any Attack Type spirit
Paper Mario: requires Cut Man, Cardboard Box, and any Neutral Type spirit
Shadow Queen: requires Vivian and Gengar
Professor Elvin Gadd: requires Poltergust 5000 and F.L.U.D.D. (another one that might only be in the SP shops)

Dixie Kong (enhanceable spirit): requires Tiny Kong and Candy Kong
Baron K. Roolenstein: requires Dr. Crygor, Kritter, and The Creature & Flea Man

Epona: requires Rapidash and Malon
Ruto: requires Zora, Princess Shokora, and any Shield Type spirit
Koume & Kotake (enhanceable spirit): requires Charlotte Aulin, Fire Flower, and Freezie
Moon: requires Majora's Mask (another possible SP shop only) and any Support spirit
Demise: requires The Imprisoned and Ghirahim

Fusion Suit: requires Metroid and Chozo Statue

Super Happy Tree: requires Whispy Woods, Bonus Fruit, and any two Support spirits

Dyna Blade: requires Super Star, Beat, Cucco, and any Shield Type spirit
Daroach (enhanceable spirit): requires Count Cannoli, Mouser, and any two Attack Type spirits
Masked Dedede: requires Reporter & Wrestler and Hammer Bro
Galacta Knight: requires Shovel Knight (another possible SP shop only), Knight Man, and Meta-Knights
Queen Sectonia: requires Zinger and Princess Shroob
Mr. Shine and Mr. Bright: requires Baxter & Forthington and Slugger & Green Glove

Great Fox: requires Landmaster, Arwing (another possible SP shop only), any Neutral Type spirit, and any Support spirit
[Original / Assist Trophy] Andross: requires Porygon and Commander

Togepi: requires Gordo and Mega Eggdozer (another possible SP shop only)
Scizor: requires Zebesian and Sidestepper
Jirachi: requires Star Rod, Luma, and Starlow
Kyurem (Black Kyurem): requires Kyurem and Zekrom
Kyurem (White Kyurem): requires Kyurem and Reshiram

Mr. Saturn: requires Specknose and Qbby
Ultimate Chimera: requires Blargg and Pyoro
Absolutely Safe Capsule: requires Mr. Saturn and any six Shield Type spirits

Samurai Goroh: requires Takamaru, Sakura Samurai, Tac, and any Attack Type spirit

Hector (Fire Emblem): requires Lilina and any two Support spirits
Ephraim: requires Frey & Freya and Eirika
Micaiah: requires Sothe, Pitch, and any Grab Type spirit
Cordelia: requires Severa and Kaitlin & Katie
Xander: requires Leo, Camilla, and Elise

Octopus: requires Octoman, Octorok, Oil Panic, and any Shield Type spirit
Chef (Game & Watch): requires Chef (Personal Trainer: Cooking), Huey, and any Support spirit

Pit (Original): requires Centurion, Cupid, and any two Grab Type spirits
Phosphora: requires Elec Man and Rotom

Jimmy T.: requires Don Flamenco and Kalypso
Mona: requires Ouendan Cheerleaders and Ayumi Tachibana

Raiden: requires Solidus Snake, Rosemary, any three Attack Type spirits, and any Neutral Type spirit

Knuckles: requires Gordo, Muddy Mole, and any Grab Type spirit
Jet the Hawk: requires Pidgey and Akari Hayami
Sonic the Werehog: requires Togedemaru and Werewolf

Louie: requires Snorlax, Postman, and any Grab Type spirit
Burrowing Snagret: requires Raphael the Raven and Rattly
Plasm Wraith: requires Hakkun, Eddy, and any two Neutral Type spirits

Tom Nook (enhanceable spirit): requires Maruhige Shop Owner, Shop Assistant, and any Neutral Type spirit
DJ K.K. (enhanceable spirit): requires 9-Volt & 18-Volt and Labrador Retriever
Resetti: requires Mettaur, Dugtrio, Muddy Mole, and any two Attack Type spirits
Pete: requires Cucco, Postman, and any Support spirit
Phyllis & Pelly: requires Mio & Mayu Amakura and Pitch
Tortimer: requires Old Man Lobber, Koopa Troopa, and any Support spirit
Blathers: requires T-Rex, Beetle, and Fishman

Proto Man: requires Dr. Light, Roll, and any Shield Type spirit
Rush: requires Chibi-Tot, Boney, and any Support spirit
Yellow Devil: requires Waddle Doo and Diskun

Tree: requires Whispy Woods and Sudowoodo
Warrior: requires Seliph and Heracles

Super Macho Man: requires Machamp, Balrog, Urban Champion Fighter, and any Attack Type spirit

Mother Fairy: requires Great Fairy and Fairy Bottle

Formula: requires Mech and Robobot Armor

E. Honda: requires Sumo Brothers and Piston Hondo
Dhalsim: requires Fire Man and Great Tiger
Ibuki: requires Shinobu and Ayumi Tachibana
Yun & Yang: requires Mio & Mayu Amakura and Young Cricket

Rodin (enhanceable spirit): requires Brewster and Aegislash

Inkling Squid: requires Blooper, Huey, and any Support spirit
Judd: requires Judge, Meowth, any Neutral Type spirit, and any Support spirit
Squid Sisters: requires Blooper, Meloetta (Aria Forme), and Ouendan Cheerleaders
Spyke: requires Big Urchin and Unira
Flow: requires Shop Assistant and Madame Couture
DJ Octavio (enhanceable spirit): requires Octoling, Octorok, and any Neutral Type spirit

Julius Belmont: requires Juste Belmont and Reinhardt Schneider

Master Core: requires Master Edges, Master Beast, and Master Giant

Starfy: requires Moe, Old Man Lobber, and Mermaid
Jill & the Drill Dozer: requires Duster and Drill Man (another possible SP shop only)
The Wandering Samurai (enhanceable spirit): requires Sakura Samurai and Ghosts
Barbara the Bat: requires Rouge the Bat, Prince Saruno, and any Grab Type spirit
Dillon: requires Wheelie, Sandshrew, and any Attack Type spirit
Wonder-Red: requires Wonder-Blue and Drake Redcrest
Ribbon Girl: requires Elite Beat Divas and ChuChu
Ninjara: requires Shinobu and Shadow Man

All of them also cost SP to summon, which varies depending on the spirit.

As far as I can remember, all of the spirits in the above spoiler I only initially obtained via summoning.

Been playing some quickplay with no rule preferences. One free for all got so bad that the game disconnected me before I could even consider leaving. Then the game accused me of leaving anyway the next time I hopped online. I don't like that. It's like websites that accuse me of running adblock and denying them delicious ad revenue. I'm not running ad block, it's some kind of error on your end.

Anyway, destroying Links with my Lonk Mii fighter is way too fun. I almost wish there were a way to set preferences to fight specific characters so that I could only beat up Links. There's even a Mii Fighter voice option that sounds like a whinier version of Link.

9 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I agree it wouldn't be a bad idea for FE avatars to have skin tone options. Even Pokemon does this for their player trainers now!

I just wish that in the case of Pokemon, hair color wasn't completely tied to skin tone options. I'm blonde, but I'm not Snow White pale, man. Let me pick blonde and slightly tan. Hair color and skin tone options should be separate. Heck, maybe let me pick some crazy hair colors like in FE!

Didn't realize hair and skin colour were tied in Pokemon. That does seem unnecessary. More options is always better when making Avatars.

3 hours ago, NoirCore said:

Ah, I see. Still, it's strange that you can't choose the combination you want from the outset. I guess they do it that way to encourage use of the salon.

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I actually have Caeda and Akuma already, I was using them as examples of Legends who I tried to get through the Spirit Board but I got in World of Light instead. I would rather avoid that in the future which is why I asked if there’s a list of what spirits are exclusive to where.

I'd recommend getting as many legendary spirits as you can. Dismissing legends is one of the best ways of getting spirit points outside of redoing world of light.

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Didn't realize hair and skin colour were tied in Pokemon. That does seem unnecessary. More options is always better when making Avatars.

Well, it's just in Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee right now, really. But yeah.

I managed to received the game during at Christmas and I also unlocked all the fighters as of right now. But, I got a few questions, did anyone know what happened to All-Stars Mode and Event Mode, are they still unlocked in the Challenges or did they seemed to be gone? Also, I noticed Mii Fighters aren't showing up in the select screen for the Classic Mode in Ultimate for some odd reasons (I did created three different Mii Fighters sets from the Mii I created which is Mike Jones from StarTropics), I kinda wondered why since the Mii Fighters were usable in Classic Mode during in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.

Edited by King Marth 64

8 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

I managed to received the game during at Christmas and I also unlocked all the fighters as of right now. But, I got a few questions, did anyone know what happened to All-Stars Mode and Event Mode, are they still unlocked in the Challenges or did they seemed to be gone? Also, I noticed Mii Fighters aren't showing up in the select screen for the Classic Mode in Ultimate for some odd reasons (I did created three different Mii Fighters sets from the Mii I created which is Mike Jones from StarTropics), I kinda wondered why since the Mii Fighters were usable in Classic Mode during in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.

Mii Fighters have no Classic Mode in this game. All Star Mode is effectively gone as a primary mode, now combined with Endless Smash as "All Star Smash" in Games & More. Event Matches are also gone, since Spirit Battles and the hundreds of fights in Adventure Mode are pretty much the same thing but with added RPG elements.

2 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Mii Fighters have no Classic Mode in this game. All Star Mode is effectively gone as a primary mode, now combined with Endless Smash as "All Star Smash" in Games & More. Event Matches are also gone, since Spirit Battles and the hundreds of fights in Adventure Mode are pretty much the same thing but with added RPG elements.

Oh really, that's kinda a shame they're completely gone. I do like the new Classic Mode layout that Sakurai putted it out in Ultimate.

On 12/27/2018 at 12:52 AM, Jedi said:

Japanese opinion on character placement screenshot_20181226-142502-png.png

What happened with Falco to have him 3 tiers below Fox and Wolf? And what about Ken makes him A tier while Ryu is B?

Edited by Shadow Mir

So as a New Years gift, Pyra decided to show up in Anna’s shop. It isn’t 2019 where I live yet, but it is in the country where Xenoblade 2 was localized so I guess it counts as a New Years gift. I’m not sure yet if want to buy her or if I want to get her through the Spirit Board, but I already failed her battle ten times and I’m not very good at the shooting minigame, so...

As for World of Light

Spoiler

I finished Dracula and Ganon’s dungeons, and I’m in the middle of the third Dark Realm dungeon. Currently I’m missing Dark Samus, Luigi, Lucina, Mewtwo, Roy, Wolf, Palutena, Bayonetta, Richter, and K. Rool (and maybe someone else I’m forgetting to mention). Are any of these characters in the previous areas I went through, or are they found later? I haven’t found anyone in the lower right Dark Realm area yet, and hopefully the character there isn’t behind Omega Ridley.

6 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

What happened with Falco to have him 3 tiers below Fox and Wolf? And what about Ken makes him A tier while Ryu is B?

It's not anything that happened in this game with regards to Falco. His Smash 4 design was just very unviable with all his tricks removed and chain grabs no longer being possible. He got a lot of individual buffs to some attacks in this game, but nothing game changing to set him apart from the last game. Just better lasers and now he can't side B through shields just like Fox which hurts their position at the ledge. Falco has some merits, but if nobody ends up picking him up, then I can't see his tier list placements improving. 

As for Ken/Ryu, I dunno, you could make arguments for either character. A lot of Ryu's nonsense has been toned down but he's still very functional. Ken's got better movement stats, but the reason why I still think Ryu is the ideal pick is that his Shoryuken kills earlier. And since you can cancel the majority of his moves on hit into this kill option, I think that's the deal breaker at high level play. No other difference between the two compares to that one, in my eyes. 

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

As for World of Light

Hide contents

I finished Dracula and Ganon’s dungeons, and I’m in the middle of the third Dark Realm dungeon. Currently I’m missing Dark Samus, Luigi, Lucina, Mewtwo, Roy, Wolf, Palutena, Bayonetta, Richter, and K. Rool (and maybe someone else I’m forgetting to mention). Are any of these characters in the previous areas I went through, or are they found later? I haven’t found anyone in the lower right Dark Realm area yet, and hopefully the character there isn’t behind Omega Ridley.

Yes.

Spoiler

Richter is in Dracula's Castle. You need to defeat all the ghosts for him to appear.

3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

So as a New Years gift, Pyra decided to show up in Anna’s shop. It isn’t 2019 where I live yet, but it is in the country where Xenoblade 2 was localized so I guess it counts as a New Years gift. I’m not sure yet if want to buy her or if I want to get her through the Spirit Board, but I already failed her battle ten times and I’m not very good at the shooting minigame, so...

As for World of Light

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Omega Ridley is blocking someone, unfortunately.

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

It's not anything that happened in this game with regards to Falco. His Smash 4 design was just very unviable with all his tricks removed and chain grabs no longer being possible. He got a lot of individual buffs to some attacks in this game, but nothing game changing to set him apart from the last game. Just better lasers and now he can't side B through shields just like Fox which hurts their position at the ledge. Falco has some merits, but if nobody ends up picking him up, then I can't see his tier list placements improving. 

As for Ken/Ryu, I dunno, you could make arguments for either character. A lot of Ryu's nonsense has been toned down but he's still very functional. Ken's got better movement stats, but the reason why I still think Ryu is the ideal pick is that his Shoryuken kills earlier. And since you can cancel the majority of his moves on hit into this kill option, I think that's the deal breaker at high level play. No other difference between the two compares to that one, in my eyes. 

So in other words, this could more be chalked up to the game being new than anything else, to some extent at least.

Anyway, are there any matchups that are really bad in this game?

Edited by Shadow Mir

17 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

So in other words, this could more be chalked up to the game being new than anything else, to some extent at least.

If you're referring to my comment about nobody picking up a character, keep in mind this roster is massive. And unless this game has more than just a few years of competitive interest, a lot of characters will generally go unexplored. Dumped into lower mid tier because nobody thinks they're interesting or wants to prove their viability. Tier lists are concerned with how good characters are in a vacuum, as well as their matchup spreads, but the third and most vital factor is proof, and that comes in the form of good players picking them up and placing well with them. Nobody thought Yoshi was any good in Melee until Amsa placed with him, for instance. And that game already had 10+ years of development by that point. Some things will slip through the cracks.

Anyway, are there any matchups that are really bad in this game?

Ganon is still easy to camp out and Jigglupuff has no good answers against swords, but other than that not much seems unreasonable. I half expect the first very bad matchup to result from some kind of glitch. Like this one or that one. 

Edited by Glennstavos

30 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

If you're referring to my comment about nobody picking up a character, keep in mind this roster is massive. And unless this game has more than just a few years of competitive interest, a lot of characters will generally go unexplored. Dumped into lower mid tier because nobody thinks they're interesting or wants to prove their viability. Tier lists are concerned with how good characters are in a vacuum, as well as their matchup spreads, but the third and most vital factor is proof, and that comes in the form of good players picking them up and placing well with them. Nobody thought Yoshi was any good in Melee until Amsa placed with him, for instance. And that game already had 10+ years of development by that point. Some things will slip through the cracks.

Fair enough.

30 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Ganon is still easy to camp out and Jigglupuff has no good answers against swords, but other than that not much seems unreasonable. I half expect the first very bad matchup to result from some kind of glitch. Like this one or that one. 

The former really oughta get patched out already... Anyway, to name some matchups that were really bad in Smash 4, does Megaman vs Dedede still completely suck for the latter? Does Kirby still shut down Wii Fit Trainer completely?

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

The former really oughta get patched out already... Anyway, to name some matchups that were really bad in Smash 4, does Megaman vs Dedede still completely suck for the latter? Does Kirby still shut down Wii Fit Trainer completely?

Lemons still knock back gordos. Even the ones Dedede has inhaled and spat back out which is a new feature. I think Dedede's ability to eat projectiles and spit them back out for more damage is pretty huge in a matchup like this but yeah, I still think it's a stretch to call that suddenly even. And I don't know what you're referring to with Kirby vs Wii Fit.

Edited by Glennstavos