Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I have little to no affinity with Dragon Quest but I'm glad for the many fans that definitely do have that affinity. I suppose there could have been worse choices than Android 17. Its also a nice touch that the alts are all previous main characters. Even as a complete stranger to the series I could feel a decent amount of love in the trailer. 

Banjo I'm a little more exited on. I've always been skeptical on it happening but now it did I'm quite happy. And the trailer being a direct sequel to the awesome K Rool one was a very nice touch.

14 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Can't fault me for simply not knowing and then reasonably expecting that a trailer starting with DK stuff could mean a DK newcomer.

Donkey Kong's ties to Rare have always been one of the better known facts about the series so I personally immediately thought of Banjo when it opened with DK. Then Again Rare is really old history at this point so I can get people no longer recognizing the connection much. 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Donkey Kong's ties to Rare have always been one of the better known facts about the series so I personally immediately thought of Banjo when it opened with DK. Then Again Rare is really old history at this point so I can get people no longer recognizing the connection much. 

The first thing that happens in the trailer is a Jiggie bouncing across the floor. Anyone expecting something DK related after that doesn't know either franchise very well.

10 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I've never played any Banjo game and hadn't even heard of them until I started seeing people asking for Banjo Kazooie in Smash. I could only go "who is this?" when I kept seeing the character being mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

The first thing that happens in the trailer is a Jiggie bouncing across the floor. Anyone expecting something DK related after that doesn't know either franchise very well.

I saw something bounching of the floor but I kinda missed what it was. I was too busy looking at that beautiful croc snoring cutely on the ground 😀

Should we be calling this character Hero or Hiiro? Because Hiiro is just one of them...I'm calling them Hiiro even if it's the DQ11 guy that gets the spotlight. As for Banjo, it's weird a supposed third Banjo game was what was leaked, didn't end up coming true, but Smash gets the character anyway.

Edited by Glennstavos

This was real nice. Some dreams on both sides of the planet come true today.

Things look all 3rd-party for the 5 DLC Fighters here. Which is fine for me.

Touhou in Smash is still a pipe dream, but at least I’m open to these.

Just now, Etheus said:

If I were Sakurai, I'd do a fake reveal for character 5 of such grand absurdity so as to light the internet on fire. Then reveal the real final character.

I'd do a fake trailer for a Huniepop character. Then reveal Geralt a few days later.

For me, it would be Edelgard first.

Then the real final character. Don’t care which.

On an unrelated note, with the intro to the Banjo trailer, I thought we were going to get another villain. But then we came back to DK. And then the jiggy.

I was confident in us getting a Dragon Quest character but I wasn't convinced it would be Erdrick in particular, so I guess I was kind of correct even if Erdrick is in as an alt.

And with Banjo in, hopefully we will get acknowledgement of the greatest Rare IP, Viva Piñata. Also the Spiral Mountain track was added to the website.

I kind of figured Dragon Quest was going to be put in Smash considering how big a franchise it is in Japan. Wasn't expecting more than one character though and they all share the same slot. Kind of wish they did that Marth and all of his moveset clones from Fire Emblem so there wouldn't be so much backlash for that series. As for Banjo don't really have much to say about him. Never played his game so I don't really care about him. At least it wasn't Steve from Minecraft.

So yeah, both characters are a pass for me since I haven't played any of their games. At least their fans will be happy and I get to save twelve dollars. It's looking like its only going to be third party characters for the season pass what with Atlus/Sega, Square and Microsoft/Rare all getting characters so far. I'm guessing Capcom and Bandai Namco will both get another rep for the last two.

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I've never played any Banjo game and hadn't even heard of them until I started seeing people asking for Banjo Kazooie in Smash. I could only go "who is this?" when I kept seeing the character being mentioned.

If you kept hearing about them, nothing was stopping you from doing some research and finding out about the character and the series. That would have quickly told you why the character was so highly requested and, up until only a few hours ago, so many people considered them being in Smash nothing more than a pipe dream. 

Just now, Jave said:

If you kept hearing about them, nothing was stopping you from doing some research and finding out about the character and the series. That would have quickly told you why the character was so highly requested and, up until only a few hours ago, so many people considered them being in Smash nothing more than a pipe dream. 

I didn't really care enough to do research, tbh.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

So will Dragon Quest have more than two songs?

Square (FF and KH) and Enix (DQ) seem fairly separate to me when it comes to decision making, though I don't really know how SE works. But I'm optimistic that if Crazy Hand is thrifty, it doesn't necessarily mean Master Hand is too.

Next iOS sale I should consider nabbing DQs III and VI, they're two gaps I want to fill in on my DQ record. And why not the short but cheap I & II.

B&K I have some good memories of from childhood, never completed either on my own. But I was fond of them, even if in the hypothetical scenario they got an HD port to Switch I likely would skip over them.

21 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Then it’s really not fair of you to call the trailer a “f*** you” to Dixie fans, because if you would have done research, you would have realized, maybe even appreciated why this trailer meant so much to the fans. Not just because BK got confirmed, but because how the trailer was constructed (the DK characters being there was not a random choice). 

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

So will Dragon Quest have more than two songs?

Depends on how much of an ass the composer decides to be.

As awesome as Dragon Quest is, the composer is a total shitbag.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, this is kinda unfair, I mean i'm a huge Banjo Kazooie fan, so i'm happy they're in! You should be happy for people getting their favorites in, even if you don't know the series/character. I haven't seen the videos yet, but i'm sure they'll be great! Heck, I didn't even want a DLC character at first, so how can I complain?

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Yeah, this is kinda unfair, I mean i'm a huge Banjo Kazooie fan, so i'm happy they're in! You should be happy for people getting their favorites in, even if you don't know the series/character. I haven't seen the videos yet, but i'm sure they'll be great! Heck, I didn't even want a DLC character at first, so how can I complain?

Why do I need to be happy for the inclusion of a character I don't know anything about and don't care to know anything about? And anyway, I said "great for Banjo fans" earlier, though it might've been in the E3 thread I said that, not here.

Edited by Anacybele

Just now, Anacybele said:

Why do I need to be happy for the inclusion of a character I don't know anything about and don't care to know anything about? And anyway, I said "great for Banjo fans" earlier, though it might've been in the E3 thread I said that, not here.

I don't know, why not? I don't know Bayonetta, but I was happy for her fans for Smash 4. I hate Cloud, but I was happy for his fans. Nothing wrong with having a more positive attitude, I suppose?

5 minutes ago, NoNameAtAll said:

Depends on how much of an ass the composer decides to be.

As awesome as Dragon Quest is, the composer is a total shitbag.

I say there's hope! Dragon Quest 11S shows they're willing to go back on their past decisions by giving us the game's actual music since the backlash was so strong.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

I don't know, why not? I don't know Bayonetta, but I was happy for her fans for Smash 4. I hate Cloud, but I was happy for his fans. Nothing wrong with having a more positive attitude, I suppose?

Nothing to be positive about when it's not a character I wanted or cared for though. I don't understand you being happy for fans of a character you hate. You hate Cloud, so you should hate his inclusion. But I can't force you to change your mindset.

Edited by Anacybele