Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

I would be trying to play Ken and Ryu more, but for whatever reason doing quartercircles on the joycons feels a lot harder than it should. Once I have the Pro-Controller I should be able to get a solid opinion on them.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, TheGoodHoms said:

I would be trying to play Ken and Ryu more, but for whatever reason doing quartercircles on the joycons feels a lot harder than it should. Once I have the Pro-Controller I should be able to get a solid opinion on them.

I like that you can use Ken and Ryu's classic inputs to do their specials, but I dislike how they power up the moves. They should just be a cute easter egg, not a mandatory aspect of proper play.

Shoryukens and Shakunetsus in particular are cumbersome to perform in a game as direction-heavy as Smash Bros, and there's been many times I try to do a Tatsumaki only to wind up just punching behind me.

5 minutes ago, Anomalocaris said:

I like that you can use Ken and Ryu's classic inputs to do their specials, but I dislike how they power up the moves. They should just be a cute easter egg, not a mandatory aspect of proper play.

Shoryukens and Shakunetsus in particular are cumbersome to perform in a game as direction-heavy as Smash Bros, and there's been many times I try to do a Tatsumaki only to wind up just punching behind me.

I find it the opposite for whatever reason. I try to do a forward aerial and some how find myself spin kicking off the stage. Fortunately it doesn't put them into a helpless state like most side specials now (still waiting for Flame Choke to get that buff), but it does make me less interested in using them.

I very commonly do a Tatsumaki when I'm trying to B-air. Because I'm trying to fast fall onto somebody in order to get in range. I hit down, then slide to right for the move, and the game reads it as a tatsumaki in the left direction - away from the person I'm trying to kick. I can also never wrap my head around on hit cancels on aerials. I'm not up to date on my street fighters, but isn't that just a Marvel vs Capcom thing in terms of Capcom fighters? I don't remember being able to do that in SF2 or my brief stints into SF4.

Edited by Glennstavos

26 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

It'll be a while before I get the game, so I might as well cut to the chase - do we have to get new music tracks by getting CDs again?

No, just buly beating challenges, buying them in the store, or finding them in adventure mode. They may also be awarded through classic, but I’m not sure on that one. 

3 minutes ago, Dai said:

No, just buly beating challenges, buying them in the store, or finding them in adventure mode. They may also be awarded through classic, but I’m not sure on that one. 

You often get two CDs for clearing Classic.

11 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

I stopped getting CDs from Classic around the same time I stopped seeing them available in the shop, so maybe that's the same pool of obtainable music?

Yes. Same here.

Final song total should be 876, by the way, if you want to check on the music screen.

10 hours ago, Dai said:

Hoo boy. Yeah, there's...quite a few of 'em, huh?

I'm gonna feel real bad if, within the next ten days, we get another patch hotfixing all these bugs. Because it indicates to me these developers couldn't catch a holiday break from this game.

4 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm gonna feel real bad if, within the next ten days, we get another patch hotfixing all these bugs. Because it indicates to me these developers couldn't catch a holiday break from this game.

Christmas isn't a major holiday in Japan though. I have  a lot of students who are working on Christmas. They generally get time off for New Year's however.

Edited by Jotari

3 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

They already did. At least, I assume so as there’s now a version 1.2.1 available. At the very least, I imagine the two Isabelle-related ones are gone now.

11 hours ago, Jedi said:

I really respect the man, but that line “a game is no fun if it is fair” really rubbed me off the wrong way.

I get his point, and I love when random stuff happens during fights, but it’s still not a good mentality to have.

15 hours ago, Book Bro said:

Man Azura's spirit battle is stupid. I never got Corrin for Smash 4 but they feel very cheap, plus the two powered up final smashes in a row seem to hit in a pretty wide range.

Legendary Spirit Battles are against high-level AI; Corrin as a fighter is inoffensive.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, It's not like he's Villager. *shots fired*

Say, is it just me or is Villager the most common enemy in World of Light and Spirit Board?

Seriously, it feels like most of the spirit battles are against Villager, Isabelle, Zero Suit Samus, Bayonetta, Palutena, Mega Man and Charizard. Other fighters were rather uncommon.

4 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I really respect the man, but that line “a game is no fun if it is fair” really rubbed me off the wrong way.

I get his point, and I love when random stuff happens during fights, but it’s still not a good mentality to have.

Mmm, I was surprised to hear it too. It's often a mantra of many FGCs. Though he didn't mean random elements, he meant the homogenization of characters that naturally comes when you balance a roster. When everybody's moves have the same damage, the same speed, the same recovery potential, and combos the same way (like the generic Down Throw Up Air) the game feels too samey from character to character. It's objective fact that the most balanced fighting game in the world is one where there's one character. But people want to play as all kinds of characters. So fighting games can't afford to strive for complete fairness. Especially when they don't rely on randomness the same way a board or card game does.

Edited by Glennstavos