Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

3 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Legendary Spirit Battles are against high-level AI; Corrin as a fighter is inoffensive.

In fact Corrin is probably one of the weakest FE characters in this game, (but still good. Swordies in this game are just silly good).

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I finally found Takumi so now my tsundere spirit/Smasher team is complete. 

Not being able to play multiplayer is starting to get to me though. I fear I'll exhaust the single player options long before my controller gets send back from repair. 

Did you find him on World of Light?

Because it seems each spirit on the final map has a Light/Dark counterpart(Midna/Tetra and Zero/X) and Takumi’s dark counterpart is very interesting, because it’s not Leo. Said counterpart is on crossroad on the of the Dark side similar as to how Takumi is on a crossroad on the edge of the Light side. 

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

In fact Corrin is probably one of the weakest FE characters in this game, (but still good. Swordies in this game are just silly good).

The only FE character to overall be nerfed (only thing that got buffed was their up-air IIRC, which itself was just reverting to how it was before it was nerfed in Smash 4), if I recall correctly. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I finally found Takumi so now my tsundere spirit/Smasher team is complete. 

Not being able to play multiplayer is starting to get to me though. I fear I'll exhaust the single player options long before my controller gets send back from repair. 

Can't you play multiplayer with the Joy Con?

I wish I could have recorded this, but I managed to freeze the Alucard Assist Trophy in his Spirit Battle in the upper-left corner of the screen when it spawned in. I was looking at the Medusa statue in the frame-by-frame, and when I unpaused, I noticed him just floating there.

Whoever programmed the AI needs a swift kick to the balls. I'm playing against level 4 AI's and they're either perfect shielding me all the stinking time or clearly reading my inputs. I could understand it if I were playing against level 9's, but they're nowhere near that.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Whoever programmed the AI needs a swift kick to the balls. I'm playing against level 4 AI's and they're either perfect shielding me all the stinking time or clearly reading my inputs. I could understand it if I were playing against level 9's, but they're nowhere near that.

Then you need to go to Japan. Because Sakurai had professional japanese players balance the AI. They even had to nerf the game “Challenger Approaching” because everyone was having trouble with it.

On 12/22/2018 at 7:48 PM, Book Bro said:

Man Azura's spirit battle is stupid. I never got Corrin for Smash 4 but they feel very cheap, plus the two powered up final smashes in a row seem to hit in a pretty wide range.

i just skipped it (Caeda's too)
I missed out on Severa's (twice. i laugh because she was novice) a second Sakura, and 2 chances at Camilla. 
but i did get  a TONNE of others, (and summoned a Hector and a Tiki out of it) I just need two more spirits so i can summon Ephiriam and the White Wings. 

i also noticed that now that the even is over, my last spirit slot is locked. anyone know how to"unlock it?)

58 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

i also noticed that now that the even is over, my last spirit slot is locked. anyone know how to"unlock it?)

Two of the challenges (seek out a bounty on a target 30 times, win against a Legend class spirit) on the Spirit Board section of the Challenge board increase your max number of targets as their reward, so you might have one of those to still do.

16 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Two of the challenges (seek out a bounty on a target 30 times, win against a Legend class spirit) on the Spirit Board section of the Challenge board increase your max number of targets as their reward, so you might have one of those to still do.

thanks. lol it might just stay locked. ahahaha Caeda and Azura kicked my butt so many times. 
I did buy Pyra though.

also i wanted to say thanks for suggesting i keep my copy of Smash. i am really enjoying it. 

I feel like the game's online service is single-handedly ruining the game for me. I've always liked playing team matches so I have Team Matches selected in my preferred rules and I actually don't remember the last time I played a team match because 99% of my matches are all 1 on 1s. The timer starts counting down at around 40 seconds and the matches start automatically even if there's only one other person in the match. That's not even enough time to have 3 people enter the room let alone 4...and I honestly wouldn't mind waiting longer for the room to fill up like in Sm4sh. (And this isn't even including the mess that is stage type, stock/time, items on/off etc)

The one time that the room had 4 people, the team match went great and everyone stayed in the room for the next match. But for some reason, the next match became free for all????? Like wtf is this system?

The only way to play team matches reliably is to play in the arena and I honestly shouldn't be paying for this type of F tier online service. 

Edited by zuibangde

9 hours ago, zuibangde said:

The one time that the room had 4 people, the team match went great and everyone stayed in the room for the next match. But for some reason, the next match became free for all????? Like wtf is this system?

At least one of those people had their preferred rules set to free-for-all and the system chose theirs for the second match.

1v1 is my preference, but that really is a shame as I do enjoy playing team battles sometimes.

I've heard a ton of complaints about the online and I'm shocked. You'd think after Brawl and Smash 4, though Smash 4's online was okay imo, they'd know how to do it right. Just makes no sense to me that it's this bad. And the online for other Switch games is reported to be fine, I hear.

14 hours ago, zuibangde said:

I feel like the game's online service is single-handedly ruining the game for me. I've always liked playing team matches so I have Team Matches selected in my preferred rules and I actually don't remember the last time I played a team match because 99% of my matches are all 1 on 1s. The timer starts counting down at around 40 seconds and the matches start automatically even if there's only one other person in the match. That's not even enough time to have 3 people enter the room let alone 4...and I honestly wouldn't mind waiting longer for the room to fill up like in Sm4sh. (And this isn't even including the mess that is stage type, stock/time, items on/off etc)

The only way to play team matches reliably is to play in the arena and I honestly shouldn't be paying for this type of F tier online service. 

I recommend going into arenas. There, it's much easier to get what you want.

It won't affect your GSP but with Quickplay being terrible, it doesn't matter.

Looks like Smash Bros may get another controversy:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/325469-some-smash-bros-ultimate-players-are-pointing-out-what-they-beli

EDIT: Although to be fair, only one site is talking about it, though the Game and Watch controversy also started small. And it remained small, since Nintendo resolved it pretty quickly.

Edited by Water Mage

6 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Phew, I thought for sure anybody saying this right at this moment would have been talking about the Leffen v Salem thing on Twitter. Or the Verlisify money match. 

Drama drama drama

I will say though the Dee Jay Spirit Battle has nothing resembling an explanation and it did give me some pause when I encountered it. I guess because Diddy Kong's Dsmash is a sort of break dance move, but if that's all, just use Mario, his fighting style is more appropriate. Nobody should have to be told not to depict black dudes as monkeys.

1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

Phew, I thought for sure anybody saying this right at this moment would have been talking about the Leffen v Salem thing on Twitter. Or the Verlisify money match. 

Drama drama drama

I will say though the Dee Jay Spirit Battle has nothing resembling an explanation and it did give me some pause when I encountered it. I guess because Diddy Kong's Dsmash is a sort of break dance move, but if that's all, just use Mario, his fighting style is more appropriate. Nobody should have to be told not to depict black dudes as monkeys.

Actually if I’m not mistaken Dee Jay has a move that is just like Diddy’s Side Special, which is why Diddy prioritize the move in the battle.

27 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

https://gonintendo.com/stories/325469-some-smash-bros-ultimate-players-are-pointing-out-what-they-beli

EDIT: Although to be fair, only one site is talking about it, though the Game and Watch controversy also started small. And it remained small, since Nintendo resolved it pretty quickly.

Pointless drama to me. You can easily get valid explanations as to why those Spirit Battles are done the way they are.

7 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

Actually if I’m not mistaken Dee Jay has a move that is just like Diddy’s Side Special, which is why Diddy prioritize the move in the battle.

Well I did some searching and I guess his grab kind of looks like it? But it's not a command grab in which he leaps at you or jumps off of you like Diddy does. If it were a special move I'd get it, but this is a tenuous connection to make based off just one generic animation. 

56 minutes ago, Water Mage said:

28 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pointless drama to me. You can easily get valid explanations as to why those Spirit Battles are done the way they are.

This. Yet another case of people making way too big a deal out of something so small. They need to get a damn life.

5 hours ago, Water Mage said:

I'll be honest and say that I do find this rather problematic. I can get what they were going for with the references and I don't think there was any malicious intent, but I feel this is not something that should be simply overlooked as "drama".

I'm all in favor of patching it out.