Jump to content
Lightchao42

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: Something to report, Professor (Byleth out now!)

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

44 members have voted

  1. 1. Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?

  2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?



Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Speaking of glitches, were the two Isabelle glitches patched out?

Oh, I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Johann said:

I'm not gonna defend their bad choices in the past, but I still maintain that the direction going forward is showing signs that they're becoming more inclusive.

Yes, because it will make them money. If that stops being the case, they'll stop doing it.

9 hours ago, Etheus said:

There are actual examples of potential blatant racism in Nintendo's history (hell, just look at Punch Out, where stereotypes of all sorts are played for laughs), but calling Nintendo racist because Ganondorf is "evil because he's black" doesn't even warrant a response, in large part because he isn't black, and his race has nothing to do with his alignment (as is well demonstrated when we see Gerudo on our side in the proper Zelda games). 

Nobody is claiming Nintendo is racist because Ganondorf is black. I brought Ganondorf up to show how Nintendo is not a paragon of diversity and inclusiveness as he's the only character on the Smash roster that's clearly outside of the ambiguous Asian/White anime race. I also brought up the Gerudo as a whole and phrased them in a negative light to show how people absolutely could call racist in this modern climate had they been introduced now (in reality I think the Gerudo's portrayal in Ocarina of Time is pretty nuanced. They're clearly depicted as divisive about following Ganondorf ith Nabooru actively trying to work to take him down. They're willing to accept Link into their tribe based on his competence and Ganondorf is the way he is in part due to Twinrova's. They also have a much better reason to want to invade another country compared to most other enemy races in games, being disenfranchised people living in a very harsh terrain in close proximity to much more fertile lands).

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Are you colour blind or something? Is Mr. Game & Watch not black?

A7W4BOn.jpg

 

Come on man. It's clearly established now that Mr Game and Watch is a Native American.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Come on man. It's clearly established now that Mr Game and Watch is a Native American.

He's had that stripped from him by the SJW brigade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎27‎.‎12‎.‎2018 at 8:34 PM, Armagon said:

Because Chrom is a Roy Echo.
Huh, but he has no similar moveset to him. If so, I would say Chrom is supposed to be a former Ike clone, but he is not either because of his high speed. He is an unique charactertype in my eyes.

 

Because he's a heavyweight and Bowser got a big speed boost in Smash 4.
I have not played any Mario game after 64, but is Bowser supposed to be faster than Mario now? If not, it makes no sense to me plotwise.


Regardless online got messed for me lately, and it is not my internet which is fine.
Maybe some update caused some trouble for online smashes.

Edited by Necrofantasia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Bowser, is it just me or does Bowser feels very small in Ultimate? I swear he was bigger in previous games.

Edited by Water Mage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Huh, but he has no similar moveset to him. If so, I would say Chrom is supposed to be a former Ike clone, but he is not either because of his high speed. He is an unique charactertype in my eyes.

Other than his Up-B, all of Chrom's moves are the same as Roy's. The animations are different since he doesn't do backhand but other than that, he play like Roy but without the sweetspot.

2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

I have not played any Mario game after 64, but is Bowser supposed to be faster than Mario now? If not, it makes no sense to me plotwise.

Depends on the game but plot doesn't matter in Smash. If it did, Shulk would be bottom tier because he has Monado 1, which doesn't affect living people, which is 95% of the roster.

2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:


Regardless online got messed for me lately, and it is not my internet which is fine.
Maybe some update caused some trouble for online smashes.

Online is.....pretty bad. I've seen it have Brawl levels of lag. Just try until it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Armagon said:

plot doesn't matter in Smash. If it did, Shulk would be bottom tier because he has Monado 1, which doesn't affect living people, which is 95% of the roster.

I guess that's true of crossovers in general, otherwise we'd have crap like nearly everyone being useless against Aragami (require God Eaters to slay) or Mechon (invulnerable to everything but the Monado or special weapons built for dismantling them) in the Project X Zone games. Or Shulk being unable to do anything about Metal Face in this game.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Depends on the game but plot doesn't matter in Smash. If it did, Shulk would be bottom tier because he has Monado 1, which doesn't affect living people, which is 95% of the roster.

I think the Monado 1 only can’t harm people of the Bionis, and since Shulk is the only playable character from the Bionis it should work on everyone else. It would mess up mirror matches though.

Anyway I beat Galeem. Hooray, now the game is over!

Spoiler

Except not. It turns out Glim Glam was holding back Dharkon, the dark god of the dark, so now we have to deal with him instead. Galeem seemed to escape, so I doubt we’ve seen the last of him. It seems to me that Galeem and Dharkon are both evil, but Galeem wants to imprison everyone in a universe of his creation while Dharkon just wants to destroy everything. No wonder Joker is the first Fighters Pass character, this is basically Shin Megami Tensei.

Right now my WoL roster consists of 41 characters with 336 spirits, and I have every character in the other modes except technically Mii Brawler (Greninja was last). Are there any secretive characters in the Light Realm I might have missed? There aren’t any fighters left on the map but there’s probably someone behind Gourmet Race, which I haven’t gotten first in yet.

 

Edited by Lightchao42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smash 4 Bayonetta was holding back more'n anybody. Although I don't recall being able to just use a wicked weave attack on its own unless Umbran Climax is activated which she needs to build up through attacks and dodges.

I've been thinking more about the Spirits and the decision to not have bios on the characters like in previous games. Now I was saddened at first - those trophy descriptions in Melee are what turned me on to some incredible games, but I suppose in this day and age, you can always google something that looks weird on your smart phone, and the kids know it better than anybody else. But I feel like the decision ultimately came down to a localization concern. This is the first simultaneous release in the series, and all that text presents a nightmare for a worldwide release. ~1300 life stories written in 11 different languages. And once you're done with that you gotta get all the ESRBs of the world to read every single entry to make sure there's nothing unsuitable in there. Yuck. Marvel Vs Capcom 3 just had Jpegs for its "spirits" too, now I see why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I think the Monado 1 only can’t harm people of the Bionis, and since Shulk is the only playable character from the Bionis it should work on everyone else. It would mess up mirror matches though.

Anyway I beat Galeem. Hooray, now the game is over!

  Reveal hidden contents

Except not. It turns out Glim Glam was holding back Dharkon, the dark god of the dark, so now we have to deal with him instead. Galeem seemed to escape, so I doubt we’ve seen the last of him. It seems to me that Galeem and Dharkon are both evil, but Galeem wants to imprison everyone in a universe of his creation while Dharkon just wants to destroy everything. No wonder Joker is the first Fighters Pass character, this is basically Shin Megami Tensei.

Right now my WoL roster consists of 41 characters with 336 spirits, and I have every character in the other modes except technically Mii Brawler (Greninja was last). Are there any secretive characters in the Light Realm I might have missed? There aren’t any fighters left on the map but there’s probably someone behind Gourmet Race, which I haven’t gotten first in yet.

 

  I'm surprised there's someone else as pedantic as me who was going to point that out.

Also yes, you get Dedede from Gourmet Race.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I think the Monado 1 only can’t harm people of the Bionis, and since Shulk is the only playable character from the Bionis it should work on everyone else. It would mess up mirror matches though.

Anyway I beat Galeem. Hooray, now the game is over!

  Reveal hidden contents

Except not. It turns out Glim Glam was holding back Dharkon, the dark god of the dark, so now we have to deal with him instead. Galeem seemed to escape, so I doubt we’ve seen the last of him. It seems to me that Galeem and Dharkon are both evil, but Galeem wants to imprison everyone in a universe of his creation while Dharkon just wants to destroy everything. No wonder Joker is the first Fighters Pass character, this is basically Shin Megami Tensei.

Right now my WoL roster consists of 41 characters with 336 spirits, and I have every character in the other modes except technically Mii Brawler (Greninja was last). Are there any secretive characters in the Light Realm I might have missed? There aren’t any fighters left on the map but there’s probably someone behind Gourmet Race, which I haven’t gotten first in yet.

 

Spoiler

If you have 41 characters at that point in WoL, then I think you might be missing someone else aside from Dedede (who's in Gourmet Race like Jotari said). For reference, here's everyone that you can possibly have at the start of the Dark Realm:

Spoiler
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Ness
  10. Captain Falcon
  11. Jigglypuff
  12. Peach
  13. Bowser
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Sheik
  16. Dr. Mario
  17. Pichu
  18. Falco
  19. Marth
  20. Mr. Game & Watch
  21. Pit
  22. Zero Suit Samus
  23. Snake
  24. Pokemon Trainer
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Lucas
  27. King Dedede
  28. Olimar
  29. Lucario
  30. Toon Link
  31. Villager
  32. Wii Fit Trainer
  33. Mega Man
  34. Little Mac
  35. Mii Swordfighter
  36. Mii Gunner
  37. Pac-Man
  38. Shulk
  39. Duck Hunt
  40. Ryu
  41. Inkling
  42. Simon
  43. Isabelle

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:
  Reveal hidden contents

If you have 41 characters at that point in WoL, then I think you might be missing someone else aside from Dedede (who's in Gourmet Race like Jotari said). For reference, here's everyone that you can possibly have at the start of the Dark Realm:

  Reveal hidden contents
  1. Mario
  2. Donkey Kong
  3. Link
  4. Samus
  5. Yoshi
  6. Kirby
  7. Fox
  8. Pikachu
  9. Ness
  10. Captain Falcon
  11. Jigglypuff
  12. Peach
  13. Bowser
  14. Ice Climbers
  15. Sheik
  16. Dr. Mario
  17. Pichu
  18. Falco
  19. Marth
  20. Mr. Game & Watch
  21. Pit
  22. Zero Suit Samus
  23. Snake
  24. Pokemon Trainer
  25. Diddy Kong
  26. Lucas
  27. King Dedede
  28. Olimar
  29. Lucario
  30. Toon Link
  31. Villager
  32. Wii Fit Trainer
  33. Mega Man
  34. Little Mac
  35. Mii Swordfighter
  36. Mii Gunner
  37. Pac-Man
  38. Shulk
  39. Duck Hunt
  40. Ryu
  41. Inkling
  42. Simon
  43. Isabelle

 

 

Thanks, I have all of those characters aside from Dedede. I counted on the CSS and found that I actually have 42 characters, rather than 41 like I thought. I’m guessing the “fighters awakened” on the file selection doesn’t count Kirby since you don’t awaken him, so that explains where I got the 41 number from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Thanks, I have all of those characters aside from Dedede. I counted on the CSS and found that I actually have 42 characters, rather than 41 like I thought. I’m guessing the “fighters awakened” on the file selection doesn’t count Kirby since you don’t awaken him, so that explains where I got the 41 number from.

Ah right, that total doesn't count Kirby. Well, if there's anyone among the fighters you've still to get that you really want then I can tell you (only if you want me to) which direction to go in order to eventually find them since: 

Spoiler

the Dark Realm is pretty much just composed of three dungeons and the paths leading to each. There's only three fighters who're outside of the dungeons, one along each path.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Tybrosion said:

Ah right, that total doesn't count Kirby. Well, if there's anyone among the fighters you've still to get that you really want then I can tell you (only if you want me to) which direction to go in order to eventually find them since: 

  Reveal hidden contents

the Dark Realm is pretty much just composed of three dungeons and the paths leading to each. There's only three fighters who're outside of the dungeons, one along each path.

 

It’s fine, I’d rather be surprised by when I find each character. Like when there was a fighter guarded by Camilla who I expected to be Corrin (Camilla being Camilla), but they turned out to be Shulk instead. Likewise, the most recent character I unlocked was Incineroar, who was guarded by Caeda.

On another note, is everyone aware of the Mario spirit event going on? There are three spirits that are supposedly exclusive to the event, so remember to get them while you have the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

It’s fine, I’d rather be surprised by when I find each character. Like when there was a fighter guarded by Camilla who I expected to be Corrin (Camilla being Camilla), but they turned out to be Shulk instead.

That's OK. Corrin is actually being guarded by a Fates character, just not Camilla.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

On another note, is everyone aware of the Mario spirit event going on? There are three spirits that are supposedly exclusive to the event, so remember to get them while you have the chance.

Yup it's unclear whether these will be permanently missable or if events are re-ran. The Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee spirits are supposed to be made available for all players at an unspecified date, but no such assurance was given for these mario party spirits and that is troubling. I felt like it was unclear what the new spirits are, but you will find them at the very bottom of the Spirit List. I guess that's where DLC Spirits of any kind will appear, even if they are tied to an established franchise. Anyway those new spirits are Dice Block, River Survival, and Golden Dash Mushroom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

Yup it's unclear whether these will be permanently missable or if events are re-ran. The Partner Pikachu and Partner Eevee spirits are supposed to be made available for all players at an unspecified date, but no such assurance was given for these mario party spirits and that is troubling. I felt like it was unclear what the new spirits are, but you will find them at the very bottom of the Spirit List. I guess that's where DLC Spirits of any kind will appear, even if they are tied to an established franchise. Anyway those new spirits are Dice Block, River Survival, and Golden Dash Mushroom

I was able to get the three of them already. I hope they do simply add them to the pool later, preferably without needing them for summoning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Armagon said:

Online is.....pretty bad. I've seen it have Brawl levels of lag. Just try until it works

Worst of all is that you can't even taunt. Wii-U already had an annoying 3 taunt limit but now they just removed it entirely. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Worst of all is that you can't even taunt. Wii-U already had an annoying 3 taunt limit but now they just removed it entirely. 

Explains that teabagging I received one time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Worst of all is that you can't even taunt. Wii-U already had an annoying 3 taunt limit but now they just removed it entirely. 

You can taunt in Arenas. I exclusively play in Arenas because fuck Quickplay.

 

I do miss the custom taunt messages though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2018 at 10:19 PM, Jotari said:

Nobody is claiming Nintendo is racist because Ganondorf is black. I brought Ganondorf up to show how Nintendo is not a paragon of diversity and inclusiveness as he's the only character on the Smash roster that's clearly outside of the ambiguous Asian/White anime race.

Uh, that's not true. Villager and Inkling have alts that clearly depict them as dark-skinned, and given they're characters that can logically exist in multiple quantities without theoretical cloning shenanigans, I'd say their alts count. I don't even think Villager had a dark-skinned alt in Smash 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NoirCore said:

Uh, that's not true. Villager and Inkling have alts that clearly depict them as dark-skinned, and given they're characters that can logically exist in multiple quantities without theoretical cloning shenanigans, I'd say their alts count. I don't even think Villager had a dark-skinned alt in Smash 4.

Don't mean to be frank, but did you think I wasn't aware of that some how? Villager's Alt is even part of the reason for this whole discussion in the first place. I thought it was quite self evident I was discounting them on the basis of them being alts. Speaking of racial alts, that's something the Fire Emblem avatars should get. It seems very silly to me that Robin didn't inherit even the slightest hint of Validar's skin tone (although technically it's not impossible, massively improbable though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Don't mean to be frank, but did you think I wasn't aware of that some how? Villager's Alt is even part of the reason for this whole discussion in the first place. I thought it was quite self evident I was discounting them on the basis of them being alts. Speaking of racial alts, that's something the Fire Emblem avatars should get. It seems very silly to me that Robin didn't inherit even the slightest hint of Validar's skin tone (although technically it's not impossible, massively improbable though).

I agree it wouldn't be a bad idea for FE avatars to have skin tone options. Even Pokemon does this for their player trainers now!

I just wish that in the case of Pokemon, hair color wasn't completely tied to skin tone options. I'm blonde, but I'm not Snow White pale, man. Let me pick blonde and slightly tan. Hair color and skin tone options should be separate. Heck, maybe let me pick some crazy hair colors like in FE!

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...