Jump to content
Lightchao42

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: Something to report, Professor (Byleth out now!)

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

47 members have voted

  1. 1. Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?

  2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?



Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Lemons still knock back gordos. Even the ones Dedede has inhaled and spat back out which is a new feature. I think Dedede's ability to eat projectiles and spit them back out for more damage is pretty huge in a matchup like this but yeah, I still think it's a stretch to call that suddenly even. And I don't know what you're referring to with Kirby vs Wii Fit.

Yeah, I'm assuming most of the reasons why that matchup sucked for Dedede still apply. As for Kirby vs Wii Fit Trainer, what I'm referring to is that if Kirby crouches, pretty much everything Wii Fit Trainer can do just whiffs (only down tilt, dash attack, and down smash can hit Kirby if he ducks, and those are all slow). Not to mention that he pancakes after aerials, leading to more whiffing. As if that wasn't bad enough, he can copy her ability and heal. Apparently, other short characters give WFT trouble as well for the same reason (that being rendering most of her moveset practically useless if they duck).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, I noticed the replays can be converted into videos and required a Micro SD Card inserted to the Nintendo Switch. Does those videos only play in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or they can be played in the computer and you can upload the converted replay videos to YouTube as well? I know Super Smash Bros. for Wii U used to upload replays to YouTube before Nintendo shut Miiverse down.

Edited by King Marth 64

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yeah, I'm assuming most of the reasons why that matchup sucked for Dedede still apply. As for Kirby vs Wii Fit Trainer, what I'm referring to is that if Kirby crouches, pretty much everything Wii Fit Trainer can do just whiffs (only down tilt, dash attack, and down smash can hit Kirby if he ducks, and those are all slow). Not to mention that he pancakes after aerials, leading to more whiffing. As if that wasn't bad enough, he can copy her ability and heal. Apparently, other short characters give WFT trouble as well for the same reason (that being rendering most of her moveset practically useless if they duck).

Well her jab does hit low enough in ultimate. I don't know if any other grounded move had its hitbox similarly adjusted, but jab is probably enough since you can do that from a run. Can't imagine that having been a deal breaker in smash 4 though since every rare opportunity I had to see a serious WFT match in a tournament involved that character exclusively using special moves to heal up and camp out the opponent since her normal attacks just aren't good even when they do connect. Most of her buffs appear to be centered on those attacks from what I can tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, King Marth 64 said:

By the way, I noticed the replays can be converted into videos and required a Micro SD Card inserted to the Nintendo Switch. Does those videos only play in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate or they can be played in the computer and you can upload the converted replay videos to YouTube as well? I know Super Smash Bros. for Wii U used to upload replays to YouTube before Nintendo shut Miiverse down.

It converts them to video files I assume. When they had the update they warned that on console replays would become useless and advised converting the videos, that means they have to be a video file of some sort as the whole reason updates mess with replays is because they just have the game replay the match from a recorded script instead of playing na actual video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know where Lucina is in the World of Light? I can't find her anywhere.

EDIT: Never mind, I found her.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Does anyone know where Lucina is in the Word of Light? I can't find her anywhere.

How far are you? You find her after beating Galeem

Spoiler

in the lower right area of the Dark Realm by Dracula’s Castle, past Omega Ridley’s spirit battle.

Speaking of World of Light, we’re in the endgame now. This should be the last question I ask...

Spoiler

I know already that there’s some kind of multiple ending system, and I’m guessing it has something to do with the light and dark balance in the final area, with the real ending being neutral (again, like Shin Megami Tensei). I want to see the light and dark endings before getting the true ending, but am I right about it being based on the light/dark balance? And do I have to do anything over if I get one of the “wrong” endings?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Speaking of World of Light, we’re in the endgame now. This should be the last question I ask...

  Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Just try to keep it as balanced as possible and defeat both Hands twice each in order to free them, and after you complete the segment they open up you're free to go to the true final battle.

Also at that point, you can get the bad endings by beating Galeem solo and Dharkon solo without any negative repercussions (as in, you get those first and then go get the true ending). If you're aiming for 100% completion in WoL, you do actually need to get both of the bad endings. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or do a lot of fighters have all-or-nothing Final Smashes in this game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is it just me, or do a lot of fighters have all-or-nothing Final Smashes in this game?

Final Smashes have been simplified to keep the game flowing. Which means they're all rather similar big attacks with the variation being whether it's a shot forward or a rush into a cinematic (and Peach). This is one of the few changes I'm not all that fond of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder... is there a chance we get extra stages as DLC? Because I find the Mute City in this game being referred to as "Mute City SNES" kind of odd when the other Mute City stage isn't in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I wonder... is there a chance we get extra stages as DLC? Because I find the Mute City in this game being referred to as "Mute City SNES" kind of odd when the other Mute City stage isn't in this game.

 We are getting an extra stage per new DLC character, but presumably they'll be new stages based around the character. Beyond that *shrug* who knows.

25 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Welp, looks like the Phantom Thieves let us down. Medjed leaked the remaining DLC roster for Smash. Be careful on the internet...

Is there video evidence? I hope people aren't going to get all excited over something that is fake like last time. Short memories indeed if that's the case.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Is there video evidence? I hope people aren't going to get all excited over something that is fake like last time. Short memories indeed if that's the case.

There's no video evidence of characters that haven't been made yet. But it is datamined code. I'm sure we're already getting a new host of fake leaks based on this new information, but the name we do have from the code seems pretty cut and dry, hence why I recommend exercising caution. This sort of development is 100% how we found out Roy and Ryu were coming to 4 before E3 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to look up those leaks, but only for one reason, as I'd normally prefer not to be spoiled otherwise. I did so to see if maybe the Fighters Pass would be worth getting. I don't want to buy something if I don't know what I'm getting, right?

Looked to me like all of them were from games I never played at all, though I'd heard of the series. Not a big surprise to me, considering the Joker reveal and how he was someone I'd never even heard of. Yet, one of the possibly leaked characters IS from a series I played! And...a very surprising one to me at that. I won't say what it is, but I will say that those who know me well would've never expected me to play this series. Yet I did, waaaay back in the SNES days. My brothers were better than me at it though. lol

 But as of now, it still looks to me like I won't care enough about the DLC characters to want the Fighters Pass.

Edited by Anacybele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have links? My research is just popping up with a single new fighter reveal and a name that's pretty ambiguous at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Anyone have links? My research is just popping up with a single new fighter reveal and a name that's pretty ambiguous at that.

That's all there is right now as far as I know.

I don't know what @Glennstavos is referring to, I've only seen the leak revealing the character after Joker.

Edited by Slumber

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

That's all there is right now as far as I know.

I don't know what @Glennstavos is referring to, I've only seen the leak revealing the character after Joker.

Spoiler

It's totally going to be Brave Sword Marth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Anyone have links? My research is just popping up with a single new fighter reveal and a name that's pretty ambiguous at that.

There's a datamine revealing a code name for the supposed 2nd DLC character, and a separate rumor that is gaining traction that, if true, reveals the rest of the DLC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Slumber said:

That's all there is right now as far as I know.

I don't know what @Glennstavos is referring to, I've only seen the leak revealing the character after Joker.

I should have been clear that that character is the only one I am referring to, and my joke reference to Persona 5 didn't help now that I see people online running with this in their own speculations. Like in that Gamexplain discussion video for instance. I'm sure those other "leaks" can be believed based on healthy conjecture, but I always exercise skepticism in that case.

And when the "leak" is something that exists in the game itself, well, I brushed that off the first time. I just wanted to say beware of leaks. Because we haven't seen activity rise up since...two weeks before the game released and people posted all kinds of garbage that they "datamined" or "witnessed". I'm still mad Balder isn't a boss in WoL.

Edited by Glennstavos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Glennstavos said:

I should have been clear that that character is the only one I am referring to, and my joke reference to Persona 5 didn't help now that I see people online running with this in their own speculations. Like in that Gamexplain discussion video for instance. I'm sure those other "leaks" can be believed based on healthy conjecture, but I always exercise skepticism in that case.

And when the "leak" is something that exists in the game itself, well, I brushed that off the first time. I just wanted to say beware of leaks. Because we haven't seen activity rise up since...two weeks before the game released and people posted all kinds of garbage that they "datamined" or "witnessed". I'm still mad Balder isn't a boss in WoL.

I got the Medjed joke, it was the "remaining DLC roster" bit that got me, since we still have 3 DLC characters that have 0 data to speculate on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I should have been clear that that character is the only one I am referring to, and my joke reference to Persona 5 didn't help now that I see people online running with this in their own speculations. Like in that Gamexplain discussion video for instance. I'm sure those other "leaks" can be believed based on healthy conjecture, but I always exercise skepticism in that case.

And when the "leak" is something that exists in the game itself, well, I brushed that off the first time. I just wanted to say beware of leaks. Because we haven't seen activity rise up since...two weeks before the game released and people posted all kinds of garbage that they "datamined" or "witnessed". I'm still mad Balder isn't a boss in WoL.

Screw boss, Balder should be a playable character.

EDIT: We're talking about Bayonetta, right?

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not buying these leaks yet because the last time we had a leak, it turned out to be an elaborate hoax.

I find it hard to believe that's there's already coding in the game that supposedly reveals who the second DLC character is. They haven't even started on Joker yet, let alone anyone else.

It makes sense for Pirahana Plant to have coding in the game already since he's almost finished but for everyone else? Nah. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm not buying these leaks yet because the last time we had a leak, it turned out to be an elaborate hoax.

I find it hard to believe that's there's already coding in the game that supposedly reveals who the second DLC character is. They haven't even started on Joker yet, let alone anyone else.

It makes sense for Pirahana Plant to have coding in the game already since he's almost finished but for everyone else? Nah. 

 

They're presumably started working on Joker at least, which means it's not at all unreasonable that code of him exists. It's not like they've datamined models and voice clips. It's literally just a name. Not at all unreasonable to believe something like that would exist at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...