Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

Is banjo&kazooie supposed to be played as a rush down charather? I feel like I'm surprising people in my locals, and I get the impression that they think he's a campier zoning charather for some reason. It's worked out pretty well in my favor so I can't complain.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Reality said:

Is banjo&kazooie supposed to be played as a rush down charather? I feel like I'm surprising people in my locals, and I get the impression that they think he's a campier zoning charather for some reason. It's worked out pretty well in my favor so I can't complain.

I think so. I couldn't possibly see him as a camper given his limited projectile arsenal and the low range of these projectiles.

I mean, his most powerful move is a side special dash, after all.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:11 AM, vanguard333 said:

If I had been in Sakurai’s position, saw Nintendo saying I could only pick Byleth, and saw the fans saying not to pick Byleth, I would’ve gone, “Sure, Byleth will be in Smash” and do the Pokémon Trainer thing both for creativity and embracing technicality to troll everyone (in a good way). 

And then you'd be making three characters with the budget and time for one.

7 hours ago, Florete said:

And then you'd be making three characters with the budget and time for one.

True... 🙁

It was just a hypothetical anyway. In any case, looking back on it, I think Sakurai knew what was going to happen and tried to make the best of an inherently bad situation. 

15 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Sorry to triple post, but there’s a new Spirit event with a black motif.

And Lotus from Warframe is one of the Spirits, not even joking.

Only one new Spirit? I’m a little surprised.

7 hours ago, Dai said:

Only one new Spirit? I’m a little surprised.

Well, to be fair, the black motif is something of a broad kind of Event, and plenty of other Spirits have this. So not much leeway for new Spirits, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Perkilator said:

Well, to be fair, the black motif is something of a broad kind of Event, and plenty of other Spirits have this. So not much leeway for new Spirits, in my opinion.

That same logic also means there's loads of leeway for new spirits.

On 2/16/2020 at 3:34 PM, Perkilator said:

This tweet brings up a good point for a hypothetical Danganronpa character.

EDIT: Darn it, I just realized I DIDN’T have it. Fixed:

If Danganronpa were to ever get represented in Smash I fully expect Makoto or Hajime (maybe even both with one as an echo or an alt costume) with a similar gameplay to what Phoenix has in Marvel vs Capcom. If it wasn't them, Junko controlling Monokumas would probably be suitable too with giant Junko as a final smash. Or just Monokuma itself would be fine as the mascot of the series. Toko/Genocide Jack seems more likely too since she literally shifts the game from a TPS to a beat em up which is more suitable for Smash if they really wanted to represent UDG for some reason over the main titles.

Ahh, imagining all their possible moveset really makes me wish for Danganronpa Warriors crossover.

Anyway, talking about new characters, if a new pokemon gets added via dlc to advertise the new games then in light of the popularity poll results I see Toxtricity making it in. It's the 2nd most popular Galar mon (skipped Dragapult because I don't think it'd be a good fit), has an interesting potential moveset that would revolve around music, has poison in its arsenal which is something that isn't messed around with too much in Smash, has a gigantamax that it'll probably use as part of its final smash or alternatively have the end credits band appear for it instead.

Enhancing Black Lotus turns them into Natah, which has Transformation Duration Up as their ability, with three slots. Guess that's neat. Shame I don't play Warframe, so all this flies over my head.

You can say "I think we're getting a Direct this month" every month and you'll eventually be right~

Though I was reminded of something interesting with the first fighter's pass. The time frame between Joker being announced for Smash and having a gameplay trailer was five months. Maybe it was spaced out so far because Piranha plant arrived in the middle of that gap. But since we have until December 2021 for the sixth character, I'm expecting long gaps inbetween character releases. My money's on FP6 arriving in the Summer. Though their announcement may get a gameplay-less teaser long before then.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

What if Sakurai is training to be the final DLC character?

I'd pay good money for that. 

As much as I'd like to see Sakurai himself be a character, I'm not sure that joke was in good taste.

32 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

As much as I'd like to see Sakurai himself be a character, I'm not sure that joke was in good taste.

Matter of perspective. It makes light of a bad situation, true (most humor does - it is society's medication for the ills of the world), but I think it also shows a great deal of appreciation for the sheer amount of himself that he puts in the game. That was the intent, at least.

Edited by Etheus

23 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Matter of perspective. It makes light of a bad situation, true (most humor does - it is society's medication for the ills of the world), but I think it also shows a great deal of appreciation for the sheer amount of himself that he puts in the game. That was the intent, at least.

Ah, okay then.