Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

On 1/27/2020 at 5:21 PM, vanguard333 said:

Why Roy? He only got one Japan-only game, was only put in Melee to advertise the game, his gimmick is that he's like Marth but with the tip-effect near the handle, and he's established as a poor fighter in his own game.

As a male redhead, I can't believe that I'm saying one of the few male redheads in Smash probably shouldn't be in Smash, but... yeah; I just don't see the value in keeping him in Smash. His time in Melee was great, but I do think he's overstayed his welcome.

Then again, keeping his appearance in Melee + everyone is back... I see. Never mind. 

Roy was popular back in Melee and besides that Roy did won in the Choose Your Legends Round 1 as Second Place in the Male Division in Fire Emblem Heroes as well.

18 hours ago, Perkilator said:

B9001C32-7D92-467E-8B9D-EC2E6F1A6B27.thumb.jpeg.edb37e4e0a9931e864b26c09a8be0dfc.jpeg

Here’s my realistic wishlist for FP Vol. 2.

I am pretty sure Sakurai might not going to be adding a Gen 8 Pokemon in the Fighter Pass Vol. 2 since we don't have any single Gen. 8 Pokemon as a Pokeball Pokemon in Ultimate. Also, I think Sakurai might not add a third 3rd Party franchise reps in Ultimate yet since we don't have a single third 3rd Party franchise rep in Ultimate main roster nor the first Fighter Pass Vol. 1, I would maybe think Sakurai will might not include Sora and Arle Nadja in Fighter Pass Vol. 2 and maybe go with a rep for a second Namco franchise and possibly add a rep for a second Atlus, Microsoft, or SNK franchise since we have Hero (rep for a second Square Enix franchise character) and Bayonetta (rep for a second Sega franchise character) in Ultimate already.

Edited by King Marth 64

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just found that there may not be a bug in Home Run Contest after all. I ended up getting that unresponsive right joy-con issue in Spirit Mode just now. Well, more specifically, it's the A and + buttons that stop responding. Only temporarily, but it's annoying and prevents me from playing properly when it happens.

I already have the drift issue with one of my joy-cons, why is this happening too? And these aren't even three years old yet. I shouldn't be having so many problems with these things this fast. Especially with controllers that cost fucking $80. I can't believe Nintendo made such shitty controllers for such a ridiculous price.

4 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I just found that there may not be a bug in Home Run Contest after all. I ended up getting that unresponsive right joy-con issue in Spirit Mode just now. Well, more specifically, it's the A and + buttons that stop responding. Only temporarily, but it's annoying and prevents me from playing properly when it happens.

I already have the drift issue with one of my joy-cons, why is this happening too? And these aren't even three years old yet. I shouldn't be having so many problems with these things this fast. Especially with controllers that cost fucking $80. I can't believe Nintendo made such shitty controllers for such a ridiculous price.

Do you play a lot of repetitive button mashing games?

Personal experience, my joycon drift set in after long play sessions of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (unfortunately, this was during the release week of Three Houses).

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Do you play a lot of repetitive button mashing games?

Personal experience, my joycon drift set in after long play sessions of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (unfortunately, this was during the release week of Three Houses).

No, the only games I can think of that I have that would require button mashing are Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors and I haven't touched them in a long time. I just started getting this issue with the A and + buttons the other day. Before I picked up Smash again, I played FE: Three Houses, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword, and Luigi's Mansion 3 most recently, none of which require button mashing, with the exception of the fishing mini-game in Link's Awakening and I only did that a few times.

Edited by Anacybele

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

No, the only games I can think of that I have that would require button mashing are Hyrule Warriors and FE Warriors and I haven't touched them in a long time. I just started getting this issue with the A and + buttons the other day. Before I picked up Smash again, I played FE: Three Houses, Zelda: Link's Awakening, Pokemon Sword, and Luigi's Mansion 3 most recently, none of which require button mashing, with the exception of the fishing mini-game in Link's Awakening and I only did that a few times.

Try to get those Hori Wired Controller (that are $25) or the Left Joy-Con Sideways and see if it works. I did noticed the A Button while I was fighting using the two Joy-Cons doesn't seem to respond sometimes like it can't register the attack properly in Ultimate recently, I think my Wired Controller seem to get the A Button working fine in Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 minute ago, King Marth 64 said:

Try using the other controllers (like Pro Controller or the Hori Wired Controller for example) or the Left Joy-Con Sideways and see if it works. I did noticed the A Button while I was fighting using the two Joy-Cons doesn't seem to respond sometimes like it can't register the attack properly in Ultimate recently, I think my Wired Controller seem to get the A Button working fine in Ultimate.

I do have a Zelda: BotW themed pro controller. It's the only other one I have. I should get another controller some time anyway, in case the one I have left starts bugging out too.

Edited by Anacybele

11 hours ago, Anacybele said:

I do have a Zelda: BotW themed pro controller. It's the only other one I have. I should get another controller some time anyway, in case the one I have left starts bugging out too.

Is it difficult to play Smash with a pro controller? I wouldn't dream of using anything besides a Gamecube controller, so I was naturally curious.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Is it difficult to play Smash with a pro controller? I wouldn't dream of using anything besides a Gamecube controller, so I was naturally curious.

Honestly, no. The pro controller is great and it's my preferred Smash setup. It's comfortable, practical, and has an eternal battery life.

Just now, Etheus said:

Honestly, no. The pro controller is great and it's my preferred Smash setup. It's comfortable, practical, and has an eternal battery life.

Really, it seems "odd" in shape, compared to a gamecube controller. I also think that the shoulder buttons kinda get in the way a bit. And how does controlling your character work? Fluid? Clunky? Any "jankiness', per se?

Just now, lightcosmo said:

Really, it seems "odd" in shape, compared to a gamecube controller. I also think that the shoulder buttons kinda get in the way a bit. And how does controlling your character work? Fluid? Clunky? Any "jankiness', per se?

I wouldn't call it clunky at all. In fact, honestly, I couldn't see myself going back to the GC controller with its springy trigger buttons and generally loud clicking.

If you're on the fence, my advice is simple. If you play a lot of games other than Smash, you should pick up a pro controller for practical reasons. That gamecube controller isn't universally supported, and a pro controller is great for your more action intensive games, since it doesn't have any manufacturing defects that plague the joycons (joycon drift). It's also a lot cheaper than replacement joycons.

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

I wouldn't call it clunky at all. In fact, honestly, I couldn't see myself going back to the GC controller with its springy trigger buttons and generally loud clicking.

If you're on the fence, my advice is simple. If you play a lot of games other than Smash, you should pick up a pro controller for practical reasons. That gamecube controller isn't universally supported, and a pro controller is great for your more action intensive games, since it doesn't have any manufacturing defects that plague the joycons (joycon drift). It's also a lot cheaper than replacement joycons.

Controls translate when playing other smash games, so it's hard to change habits, for me.

Oh, I have them, I was just curious how it worked in case the need ever arrived. And of course I've seen people use them at tournaments and wondered if it affected their playing with their controls. I'm very happy with my Gamecube controller, thank you very much. :B):

34 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

No, why would it be difficult? That wouldn't make sense. I don't use GC controllers for anything anymore. I'm no longer used to them since I've used others for so long.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Anything will seem odd in shape compared to perfection. Doesn't make it categorically bad.

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

No, why would it be difficult? That wouldn't make sense. I don't use GC controllers for anything anymore. I'm no longer used to them since I've used others for so long.

No reason to be so hostile, i was just asking, gosh. I personally think the control stick on the pro controller is a bit more awkward. The pro controller is also way to big for my hands to fit around, which is annoying.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Anything will seem odd in shape compared to perfection. Doesn't make it categorically bad.

I didn't say it was? I was just wondering, was all. And stating my personal preference. 

No reason to be so hostile, i was just asking, gosh. I personally think the control stick on the pro controller is a bit more awkward. The pro controller is also way to big for my hands to fit around, which is annoying.

...What? I don't see any hostility in my post. I was just asking why you'd think it'd be difficult to use a certain controller. No hostility needed there. But I see.

So, back in Brawl, I could set my right stick to tilt, which would let me auto short hop and B-air out of a sprint. It was extremely useful for certain characters.

Has this feature been removed, or is it just something the pro and joycons don't do? Because now, setting it to tilt just performs a tilt, or a dash attack.

Edited by Etheus

If you play Smash with any other controller besides gamecube you're a phosphorescent f00l

I personally think the control stick on the pro controller is a bit more awkward. The pro controller is also way to big for my hands to fit around, which is annoying.

I've used the gamecube controller since melee

The Wii remotes were weird... and I never bought a classic controller for Wii

Didnt really need to buy another controller anyway since gamecube controllers worked on quite a few of the games I played 

And Wii U gave us the adapter

And they have pro controllers with gamecube controller layouts now so I bought a wired one for pretty cheap and use that now

I still play with the joy cons for other games and stuff. The rivets in the control stick kind help with the gamecube layout. As well as when you're using characters like Ryu, Ken, and Terry. The joy cons are easier for doing inputs but sometimes you might do the wrong thing. Inputs with the gamecube controller seem much more....

Deliberate...

The joy cons are too stubby for me. As for a regular pro controller? I actually prefer the joy cons over a pro controller LOL

For smash, specifically 

@Etheus that has never been removed. You could do that on Wii U and even now ~

Edited by Arcanite

2 minutes ago, Arcanite said:

If you play Smash with any other controller besides gamecube you're a phosphorescent f00l

I've used the gamecube controller since melee

The Wii remotes were weird... and I never bought a classic controller for Wii

Didnt really need to buy another controller anyway since gamecube controllers worked on quite a few of the games I played 

And Wii U gave us the adapter

And they have pro controllers with gamecube controller layouts now so I bought a wired one for pretty cheap and use that now

I still play with the joy cons for other games and stuff. The rivets in the control stick kind help with the gamecube layout. As well as when you're using characters like Ryu, Ken, and Terry. The joy cons are easier for doing inputs but sometimes you might do the wrong thing. Inputs with the gamecube controller seem much more....

Deliberate...

The joy cons are too stubby for me. As for a regular pro controller? I actually prefer the joy cons over a pro controller LOL

For smash, specifically 

@Etheus that has never been removed. You could do that on Wii U and even now ~

Really? Why can't I get it to work?

2 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Really? Why can't I get it to work?

Well do you have a profile set up on your game? That's where you can adjust your controls (you can also change the default player controls so this way you dont have to use a profile)

Just now, Arcanite said:

Well do you have a profile set up on your game? That's where you can adjust your controls (you can also change the default player controls so this way you dont have to use a profile)

Right. I have a profile. I've set the stick to tilt. It just doesn't perform the short hop and forward facing Bair out of a dash.

Just now, Etheus said:

Right. I have a profile. I've set the stick to tilt. It just doesn't perform the short hop and forward facing Bair out of a dash.

When you say forward facing back air, are you saying you turn around and back air in the same direction you are running towards