Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

4 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Yep. 

It was probably different in brawl

Because I do exactly what you say when I use doctor Mario. His back air is nice and filthy

But you have to manually turn around before you short hop to do the back air 

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/30/2020 at 9:10 PM, ZeManaphy said:

I dunno if this has been pointed out, but at Byleth’s victory scene, there are petals in the background; clear reference to Funeral of Flowers and Wailing.

The pink petals? All victory animations have them.

I really wish Byleth used magic in his/her throws or something. Just so it's there. Bothers me far more than it should that it's absent. I get the whole Axe/Lance/Bow thing, but I don't really view Byleth as use every weapon type of unit. I see them as a Sword/Brawl/Magic due to the proficiencies of Enlightened One. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Smash needs to bring back custom specials. A pair of gauntlets and at least one magic attack would be lovely for Byleth.

Masahiro Sakurai: “I don’t choose the fighters based on my own preference, that’s for Nintendo to bring in.”

https://www.siliconera.com/masahiro-sakurai-reminds-us-that-he-doesnt-choose-the-fighters-for-super-smash-bros/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/02/sakurai_knows_smash_bros_has_too_many_fire_emblem_characters_but_its_nintendos_fault

Famitsu reveals that Sakurai doesn't actually choose the new characters. So don't blame him for ByBy, or 'Plant, or probably Bayo and RinRin.

On 2/5/2020 at 3:16 AM, Jotari said:

I really wish Byleth used magic in his/her throws or something. Just so it's there. Bothers me far more than it should that it's absent. I get the whole Axe/Lance/Bow thing, but I don't really view Byleth as use every weapon type of unit. I see them as a Sword/Brawl/Magic due to the proficiencies of Enlightened One. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Smash needs to bring back custom specials. A pair of gauntlets and at least one magic attack would be lovely for Byleth.

That would kinda make Byleth a semi-Echo Fighter of Robin if Sakurai used Magic for Byleth since Robin has those tomes in Super Smash Bros. series. You do realize he is teaching the students use any type of weapons like Axe, Lance, Bows, etc. and all weapons aren't locked in every classes in Three Houses as well. I think I did saw GameXplain did mentioned about Sakurai did said he used all the major 3 Ancient Weapons for Byleth because any newcomers or veteran players while playing Three Houses didn't probably get a chance to play any of the routes that they had completed and probably just finished one of the routes in Three Houses and leave the game like "I finished the game and going on to the next game" without playing the other routes.

Edited by King Marth 64

5 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

That would kinda make Byleth a semi-Echo Fighter of Robin if Sakurai used Magic for Byleth since Robin has those tomes in Super Smash Bros. series. You do realize he is teaching the students use any type of weapons like Axe, Lance, Bows, etc. and all weapons aren't locked in every classes in Three Houses as well. I think I did saw GameXplain did mentioned about Sakurai did said he used all the major 3 Ancient Weapons for Byleth because any newcomers or veteran players while playing Three Houses didn't probably get a chance to play any of the routes that they had completed and probably just finished one of the routes in Three Houses and leave the game like "I finished the game and going on to the next game" without playing the other routes.

No more than giving them a sword makes them a clone of Marth. Robin doesn't have a monopoly on magic in Smash, especially since Byleth doesn't even use tomes. Like I said, if it were even featured in throws I think that would be cool. Having some magic in throws would in no way make them an echo.

5 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Yes, I realize this. I literally said I get what they're doing. I'm not asking for lance/axe/bow to be unrepresented, I'm asking for magic (and gauntlets) to be represented.

Edited by Jotari

6 hours ago, Perkilator said:

If there’s a general Nintendo Direct anytime soon (seriously, it’s dry season right now.), do you think we’ll get a teaser-at most-reveal trailer for FP6, kinda like Joker at TGA 2018?

For Sakurai's sake, I hope so. It sounds like he's been getting an unceasing barrage of hate over Byleth.

Here's hoping for Dante.

3 hours ago, Etheus said:

For Sakurai's sake, I hope so. It sounds like he's been getting an unceasing barrage of hate over Byleth.

It's sad that things are this way, but it's really not much of a shock. Corrin got tons of hate from being an FE character, why wouldn't Byleth?

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

It's sad that things are this way, but it's really not much of a shock. Corrin got tons of hate from being an FE character, why wouldn't Byleth?

Well, I mean, even FE fans don't like Corrin. They were a bad choice on all accounts. Not that this justifies harassing anyone. 

And if/when another character from a highly (arguably over) represented franchise like Mario or Pokemon gets in, we won't hear the same hate. 

It was still higly predictable that Byleth would have been badly received. The comunity can't shut up about how much they hate certain things that are on Byleth. I am quite sure that if they made a poll "wich character you do NOT want" before Byleth release, they would have won whit a very large margin over the second place. 

The main reason i reacted so badly is because i completely excluded in my mind the possibility of Byleth. I was 100% sure it was going to be either no one, Edelgard or the Pokemon trainer.

Releasing another anime swordsman from fire emblem, no matter how unique, would have awakened a sleeping giants, and i did not found any compelling reason to take such a risk when there were at least 4 better options in 3H. 

1 minute ago, Etheus said:

Though if you look at regional polling, Japan wanted Byleth. Not Edelgard. Not Claude. Not Dimitri.

It's a Japan-centric pick that failed to resonate with EU or NA, much like Hero.

There is not a "who do you not want" poll for any region. It's very possible for a divisive character to be on both. Is there any indication that japanese are at large happy about the inclusion?

Just now, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Look, it had to be Byleth. If it were any one of the Lords, it would "canonize" one of the houses and I don't think anyone who's not a member of said house would want that.

My main argument for Edelgard is villain representation, something that the franchise lack despite having a very large cast. Post TS Edel whit the hegemon as a final smash would not canonize anything.

34 minutes ago, Morgan--Grandmaster said:

Look, it had to be Byleth. If it were any one of the Lords, it would "canonize" one of the houses and I don't think anyone who's not a member of said house would want that.

My idea was Claude with Failnaught as his main weapon, and an Iron Bow for when Failnaught ran out of energy. Smash doesn’t give two corns on a cob about canon.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Well, I mean, even FE fans don't like Corrin. They were a bad choice on all accounts. Not that this justifies harassing anyone. 

I agree that the reasons Corrin was chosen were bad reasons, gameplay-wise, he did at least have something new to offer with his dragon-shapeshifting. Azura would’ve been more unique, but Corrin wasn’t a bad choice as far as variety was concerned. 

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

It was still higly predictable that Byleth would have been badly received. The comunity can't shut up about how much they hate certain things that are on Byleth. I am quite sure that if they made a poll "wich character you do NOT want" before Byleth release, they would have won whit a very large margin over the second place. 

The main reason i reacted so badly is because i completely excluded in my mind the possibility of Byleth. I was 100% sure it was going to be either no one, Edelgard or the Pokemon trainer.

Releasing another anime swordsman from fire emblem, no matter how unique, would have awakened a sleeping giants, and i did not found any compelling reason to take such a risk when there were at least 4 better options in 3H. 

Yeah; I can agree with that. It was obvious how much a huge portion of Smash fans were against the idea of another FE Swordsman Protagonist. 

I myself wasn’t angry, but I was disappointed because I thought the best way to represent Three Houses would be the Pokémon Trainer idea, but I would’ve been happy with anyone except just regular Byleth. 

The thing is, we’ve known for some time that Nintendo basically gave Sakurai a list of characters and told him to pick five from the list. Looking back on it, I do wonder if the only FE character on the list was Byleth. It probably was. 

If I had been in Sakurai’s position, saw Nintendo saying I could only pick Byleth, and saw the fans saying not to pick Byleth, I would’ve gone, “Sure, Byleth will be in Smash” and do the Pokémon Trainer thing both for creativity and embracing technicality to troll everyone (in a good way). 

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

And if/when another character from a highly (arguably over) represented franchise like Mario or Pokemon gets in, we won't hear the same hate. 

This is exactly my point, it doesn't matter whether or not Corrin was a good choice, the bottom line is that Corrin is from FE. That's all that matters to people, It seems.

I personally am happy with whoever, so I can't say I understand the views of many.

My 3 most wanted are all assist trophies (Shadow, Knuckles and Bomberman), which probably disqualifies them at least until Smash 6. And Byleth having Aymr means no Edelgard. So beyond that...

...I guess Dr Eggman could be cool, but I can't really think of anyone I particularly want. At least not that has an actual chance (X would be too similar to classic MegaMan, and Pulseman not only was Sega-exclusive, but I bet most of you don't even know who he is).

EDIT: I guess I should specify that when I say I want Shadow, that's ONLY if he's a unique character. To me personally, having him as an echo fighter of Sonic would be worse than not having him at all. His Chaos powers are diverse enough that there would be no excuse for not having a unique moveset. And no, he wouldn't need any guns.

Edited by Sid Starkiller