Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not sure who, if you told me right now to name a second FF character not Sephiroth, I'd pick. But the first name that comes to mind is Terra. FFVI is well-regarded, it's Square's final fantasy game with Nintendo, and although she nominally uses a sword, she would be very magical. FF's spell conventions are so noted that KH and Bravely use them. Because Cloud can't cast Thunder, let Terra fry him a Thundaga and he goes Limit Break on her, she'll Aeroga back onto the stage.

Honestly while no Final Fantasy character has been carved out and deified as much as Cloud, there's loads and loads of good picks. I'd personally gravitate towards Cecil as he has hat mix of light and dark attacks that could make for a fun moveset. And he's also the quintessential Nintendo era Final Fantasy character in my mind.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Korcha from Chrono Cross or else!

Since you ruled out Ayla... I'll say Robo, please don't kill me Frog.😆

Oh if we're going down the obscure route than I nominate SuperXtreme Alphacosmos Police Officer Mick Von Jovi from Radical Dreamers!

Just now, Jotari said:

Oh if we're going down the obscure route than I nominate SuperXtreme Alphacosmos Police Officer Mick Von Jovi from Radical Dreamers!

Now we're talking!

7 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Honestly while no Final Fantasy character has been carved out and deified as much as Cloud, there's loads and loads of good picks. I'd personally gravitate towards Cecil as he has hat mix of light and dark attacks that could make for a fun moveset. And he's also the quintessential Nintendo era Final Fantasy character in my mind.

Good point. If he could rotate between Paladin and Dark Knight, it could make for a solid gimmick. Use the powers of the dark blade to KO your enemies, but at the price of increasing your %. Paladin would need either: minor healing abilities, heavy weight, a defensive moveset, or a combination of the three to be a counterweight to dark side's risk. To borrow from the special battle where Cecil undergoes his shift, if a Paladin will sheath his sword, the Dark Knight will draw his. Attack and defend as the battle tells you.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

What???????😮

One of the bad/alternative endings or something? And why the reference to a rock band whose singer has too much chorus?

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Good point. If he could rotate between Paladin and Dark Knight, it could make for a solid gimmick. Use the powers of the dark blade to KO your enemies, but at the price of increasing your %. Paladin would need either: minor healing abilities, heavy weight, a defensive moveset, or a combination of the three to be a counterweight to dark side's risk. To borrow from the special battle where Cecil undergoes his shift, if a Paladin will sheath his sword, the Dark Knight will draw his. Attack and defend as the battle tells you.

What???????😮

One of the bad/alternative endings or something? And why the reference to a rock band whose singer has too much chorus?

Radical Dreamers has a tonne of alternate scenarios after you play the game through once, and they're all pretty much fantastic. It's almost hilarious how much better that obscure Sattellaview game is than Chrono Cross.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So, the same as Cloud? The original is the only good one and that sucks because the original game has aged like organic bread in a rainforest?

No I think the remake did Cloud plenty of justice. I feared getting an emo killjoy who always acted as if he was too cool for school. What I got was an endearing dork who only pretends to be too cool for school and often painfully fails when doing so. The Cloud in the remake is far more than the boring killjoy then we saw in Advent Children or Dissidia. 

I was prepared to like the Remake despite Cloud rather than because of him, but as it turned out I warmed up to Cloud quite a bit. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Just now, Etrurian emperor said:

No I think the remake did Cloud plenty of justice. I feared getting an emo killjoy who always acted as if he was too cool for school. What I got was an endearing dork who only pretends to be too cool for school and often painfully fails when doing so. The Cloud in the remake is far more than the boring killjoy then we saw in Advent Children or Dissidia. 

Agreed. The remake was just great in general. After the boring and poorly designed FF15, FF7R gave me real hope for the franchise.

11 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I was prepared to like the Remake despite Cloud rather than because of him, but as it turned out I warmed up to Cloud quite a bit. 

Oh. Don't have access to nor want VIIRemake, NGL the ending doesn't sound like what I would've wanted, but Cloud returning to good original form is pleasant news.

20 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

I want the Warriors of Light (Warrior, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage) and Garland. You gotta have the original, iconic FF heroes and villain.

The classic Four Classes of Light would make good costumes. All three of those excluding Warrior got clean and charming 3D models in Mario Sports Mix. Not so sure of Garland.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

25 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Agreed. The remake was just great in general. After the boring and poorly designed FF15, FF7R gave me real hope for the franchise.

I dunno if I'd say poorly designed, but I guess so? Although by that logic, FF7R is equally as poorly designed.

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I dunno if I'd say poorly designed, but I guess so? Although by that logic, FF7R is equally as poorly designed.

I don't know where that inane statement comes from and it is so wrong as to be a farce. That's like saying that because Hey You Pikachu was poorly designed, so is Detective Pikachu and Pokemon Yellow. The two are totally different in their game design. FF15 is an open world. FF7R is a linear story-driven game. In FF15, you can literally win fights by holding the attack button. FF7R has fucking stellar hybrid action/turn-based combat. Your playable protagonist in FF15 is a bland amalgation of the weapon types of your other party members with special mechanics removed. In FF7R, you're swapping between 4 playable characters that all play very differently. 

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

On the one hand, there is a certainly cool factor to Spehiroth getting in.

On the other hand I would have preferred a different Square rep moreso for principle than to have 2 reps from a game that has little presence on Ninty consoles. For FF Terra, Cecil and Kefka would have been good picks, never mind all the other options SE has beyond it, someone from Octopath (there's a bunch of options, so maybe no wins there), CT (Hell, Magus could have been that pick too and he's got a scythe so no complaining about swords), One of the Mana games or my pick Neku (which considering TWEWY actually got a sequel would have been a capstone to the turnaround this series is getting).

I will say when the music started I just repeated oh god oh fuck to the bars, will Ninty stop dunking on Mario though.

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

On the one hand, there is a certainly cool factor to Spehiroth getting in.

On the other hand I would have preferred a different Square rep moreso for principle than to have 2 reps from a game that has little presence on Ninty consoles. For FF Terra, Cecil and Kefka would have been good picks, never mind all the other options SE has beyond it, someone from Octopath (there's a bunch of options, so maybe no wins there), CT (Hell, Magus could have been that pick too and he's got a scythe so no complaining about swords), One of the Mana games or my pick Neku (which considering TWEWY actually got a sequel would have been a capstone to the turnaround this series is getting).

I will say when the music started I just repeated oh god oh fuck to the bars, will Ninty stop dunking on Mario though.

If they're giving us a The World Ends With You character then it has to be Joshua of Neku.

Personally I would have preferred Cecil Harvey from Final Fantasy 4, but I suppose Sephiroth's not a bad choice. Probably the coolest edition so far in fighters pass 2, especially since it's the first new villain we've had in a while.

51 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I don't know where that inane statement comes from and it is so wrong as to be a farce. That's like saying that because Hey You Pikachu was poorly designed, so is Detective Pikachu and Pokemon Yellow. The two are totally different in their game design. FF15 is an open world. FF7R is a linear story-driven game. In FF15, you can literally win fights by holding the attack button. FF7R has fucking stellar hybrid action/turn-based combat. Your playable protagonist in FF15 is a bland amalgation of the weapon types of your other party members with special mechanics removed. In FF7R, you're swapping between 4 playable characters that all play very differently. 

Gameplay functionality, the games are very similar. Map design, they are also very similar. Engine, also very similar. They are not "completely" different. You can tell FF7R uses 15 as its base.

Ah man, if we had to get another Square character, I kinda wish it was a Chrono Trigger one. If it had to be Final Fantasy, I kinda would have preferred Terra, Cecil, or Tifa. But, with that said, Sephiroth looks fun, and he is an iconic character and would be a good FF pick.

FF15 is amazing and I'll not hear otherwise.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The classic Four Classes of Light would make good costumes. All three of those excluding Warrior got clean and charming 3D models in Mario Sports Mix. Not so sure of Garland.

Warrior, I'll admit could work well as a Swordfighter, but I absolutely do not want more mages being relegated to Swordfighter costumes. Black Mage especially deserves better, seeing as he's the most iconic class of the entire series and at one point was the face of the franchise. (At the very least, introduce a Mii Spellcaster fighter so mages have a proper option.) And I think having four Warriors as a team would be cool and adorable. I was picturing Red Mage and Monk as costumes, as a Swordfighter and Brawler respectively.

And hey, Garland's gotta have his chance to "knock you all down!" He is the original Final Fantasy bad guy, and a badass in his own right what with the transforming weapon, elemental attacks, and ability to transform into Chaos. He'd be like Ganondorf, Meta Knight, Robin, and Byleth all mixed into one baritone package with a side of memetic ham. I mean, just freaking look at him!

As for a 3rd Pass, I imagine now a good portion of fans will expect another Microsoft and Square fighter in that one too, since they each got one in both Pass 1 and 2. And of course for that exact reason other fans will want them to not get any fighters in Pass 3. But it could be fun to speculate how they'd keep to the pattern!

Either Joanna Dark or Lara Croft could work well, leaning towards Croft as she has a little more significance than Joanna. Fulgore from Killer Instinct would also be a good choice, repping not only a Rare series from the Nintendo days but also a still-popular fighting game series, one with a radically different tone to the likes of Street Fighter and Fatal Fury. Speaking of radical, Rash of the Battletoads would be a good option too as he and his buddies were doing the whole "platform brawling" thing long before Smash made it cool. Heck, their signature attacks are even called "smash hits"!

Anyway, while Sephiroth wasn't my top pick, I am pleased by the fact his addition means the door is officially open to other third-party villains as well. Now it's only a matter of time before Eggman, Wily, and Cortex join the roster as well. If not SSBU, there's always SSB6!

Edited by Lord_Brand

I just saw the trailer and yeah, would've liked to see Terra if FF was getting another rep. Or at least a non FF7 one. Kinda sucks that they have a plethora of characters across the series to choose from and they decided to pick one from the same game. Also think TWEWY would've been a great choice due to the sequel being announced, not to mention it has an upcoming anime too.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

8 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Gameplay functionality, the games are very similar. Map design, they are also very similar. Engine, also very similar. They are not "completely" different. You can tell FF7R uses 15 as its base.

Okay, so Three Houses is equal to Warriors because it uses Warriors as a base. Got it.

18 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Okay, so Three Houses is equal to Warriors because it uses Warriors as a base. Got it.

So you act like a kid and throw a tantrum when someone doesnt agree with you, got it. I'll keep that in mind, thank you.