Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what stage would they do? Probably destiny island right? Would it be a chill beach you can just vibe on or should it occasionally get dark with that big heartless boss showing up. Maybe the island splits apart and Ansem shows up as a stage boss. They haven't done one of those in a while. In either case, no Baby Tidus and his baby pals. Blitzball is not allowed in Smash Bros. On account of being too much fun!

I think it'd be fun to get Radiant Garden or Twilight Town. Or a tour stage that takes us to multiple worlds, like Destiny Islands, Traverse Town, Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden, Castle Oblivion, Twilight Town, and the World that Never Was.

How about costumes? Drive forms would make a lot of sense, but it could also be cute if they came up with costumes unique to Smash that show what Sora might look like if he visited various Nintendo worlds. For example, a plumber outfit with a Keyblade based on Mario's games, a Hylian tunic with a Keyblade resembling a sword, or even an armored spacesuit. The keychains likewise could be various series symbols, like a Super Mushroom, the Triforce, and the Screw Attack. Ooh, how about a Pokemon Trainer outfit with a Pokeball keychain! Since Fire Emblem is pretty popular, I imagine they'd come up with a costume for that as well.

But, more likely they'd just use forms from the KH series proper.

8 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

So what stage would they do? Probably destiny island right? Would it be a chill beach you can just vibe on or should it occasionally get dark with that big heartless boss showing up. Maybe the island splits apart and Ansem shows up as a stage boss. They haven't done one of those in a while. In either case, no Baby Tidus and his baby pals. Blitzball is not allowed in Smash Bros. On account of being too much fun!

Here was my idea: the Station of Awakening

my idea for a KH stage would have a similar concept to that of Garreg Mach or Northern Cave, meaning that it would transform into certain phases while also telling a story

1st phase) Station of Waking

2nd phase) Destiny Island

3rd phase) Destiny Island in the Realm of Darkness

4th phase) Realm of Darkness, in front of the door to Kingdom Hearts

don't know if it would make sense, much less be possible to make to begin with, but IMO it would be nice

I'm thinking about a stage for Crash Bandicoot. Presumably, we'd expect a stage set on the Wumpa Islands, but could Crash's stage be another of those tour stages? Like, first it starts on N. Sanity Beach, perhaps with Crash and Coco's house in the background, then travels to a snowy area to represent Crash 2, then to a futuristic era to represent Crash Bandicoot Warped, and maybe finally travels to an alternate dimension for Crash 4: It's About Time?

Regardless of the settings visited, I know I'd want crates to be the main gimmick of the stage, since that's where Crash gets his name from. Like in the Crash games, fighters can jump on top of crates to bounce off of them or break them by attacking them or jumping up into them. Different crates have different effects:

• Basic Crates yield one Wumpa when broken, and are naturally the most common type to appear. In Smash, Wumpa fruit will heal whoever picks it up, like any other food.
  • Aku Aku Crates yield a protective Aku Aku mask when broken, making the fighter briefly invincible. Naturally, that means they tend to be rare. More villainous fighters such as Bowser and Ganondorf get Uka Uka instead, similar to how the invincibility mask powerup distinguished between "good" and "bad" racers in CTRNF.
  • Crash Crates yield an extra stock or point when broken. However, only a few appear per match; once they have all been broken, no further Crash Crates will appear for the remainder of the match. Furthermore, fighters can't have more than the starting number of stocks; if the starting number is 3 and a fighter with 3 stocks smashes a Crash Crate, they will not gain any additional stocks.
  • Purple ? Crates are just like Basic Crates, but yield an item when broken. This is based on ? Crates in Crash Team Racing and its remake as well as the purple ? Crates seen in Crash Bash, which yield power-ups.
  • Red TNT Crates will explode if struck, and if bounced on they will begin a 3-second countdown.
  • Green Nitro Crates are highly volatile and will explode if a fighter so much as brushes against them.
  • Yellow Time Crates appear exclusively in matches with time limits. When broken, they stop the clock for a number of seconds equivalent to the number depicted on the crate (1, 2, or 3). Like Crash Crates, only a certain number will appear per match.
  • Black Smash Crates fill part of the Smash Meter when broken. They will not appear if the Smash Meter is disabled.

I would also include Arrow or Bounce Crates, but one of those could be Crash's Up Special. Then again, the jetpack from Crash 2 could serve that purpose. So, it's possible Arrow and Bounce Crates would appear as well, functioning like they do in the Crash games.

Edited by Lord_Brand

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, the last two fighters of this Pass are the last two to be added to SSBU, period. :/: Also apparently, they'll be revealed at the same time (or more likely, in the same video the way Hero and B&K were) and they'll both be playable by the end of the year.

Last chance for our boy Crash. After this we'll have to wait until SSB6, whenever that happens. Maybe next time, I'll finally be able to play Krystal...

Edited by Lord_Brand

1 hour ago, Fire Emblem Fan said:

Where did you hear this?

My bro tells me it was a news article. He forgets which one. Maybe it's this one?

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/super-smash-bros-ultimate-nintendo-switch-dlc-characters-tease-sakurai/

Or this one?

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2021/may/29/masahiro-sakurai-two-finalized-ssbu/

Boy, imagine if it was Crash and Spyro being announced back-to-back. The Shantae fan in me would die a little, but the Spyro fan in me would be a little happier.

Fact is folks, they can't keep this up forever. Sooner or later, they have to move on...to developing Smash 6 for the next Nintendo system.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Well these being the last two characters is at least accurate. And I'm happy to hear it. Smash isn't like other fighting games where the roster could be doubled or tripled over the course of five years. It was a complete roster at launch, only missing its stage builder and our beloved Piranha Plant. What Smash needs is better single player content. More interesting modes. More legacy modes like Boss Battles and Target Test. Maybe some new mechanical shake ups. Or at least good netcode. Smash Ultimate is a game with so many shortcomings that can't be addressed by just throwing in a new character, stage, and music once every couple of months. Other fighting games do manage to have their season passes on top of adding the other substantial things I listed. And I think the way they manage to pay for all that development is monetizing skins and stuff like that. When a new Smash DLC character releases and underperforms, it's a big deal, since that's the only thing they can make new money on besides the mii fighter outfits. When I see how much love and effort goes into these updates, there's no way this is THAT profitable. They need to update their development model.

So any ideas they've got for a third fighters pass may have been thrown in the drawer for when its time to start the next game. No complaints here. I was worried that development on Smash Ultimate would only end once it's time to start work on the next Smash. And that can't happen until Nintendo has a development kit ready to go for the Switch's successor. I'm pretty sure every Smash except for the first game tried (and failed) to be a launch title for a new system). If the Switch's lifespan is only five years like the Wii U before it, that time may be right now, but I think Nintendo's gonna let this Switch thing ride a bit longer. Their handheld consoles have always lasted longer than the home consoles as well. In any case, I'm expecting Sakurai has some time to rest in the near future. Heck, if the next console isn't until 2023 or later, then that's enough time for him to fit in a whole new project before Nintendo busts down his door. Maybe even my dream Star Fox game?

Edited by Glennstavos

14 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Boy, imagine if it was Crash and Spyro being announced back-to-back. The Shantae fan in me would die a little, but the Spyro fan in me would be a little happier.

Fact is folks, they can't keep this up forever. Sooner or later, they have to move on...to developing Smash 6 for the next Nintendo system.

What if Crash doesn't get in as a Fighter, but added as a Mii Fighter Costume in Ultimate incase if all two slots for Challenger Pack 10 and 11 gets revealed at E3 2021? I'm still think Shantae would have likely higher chance than Crash since I didn't see any voting promotion for Crash during at Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U era when the Fighter Ballot began around in 2015. I think Nintendo might have looked at the Fighter Ballot Results to see what fighters could they might add in since I do know the other fighters in Ultimate were been requested from the Fighter Ballot like Isabelle, King K. Rool, Simon (for West), Richter (for Japan), Dark Samus (for West), Chrom (for Japan), Eight (for West, they did said Eight was the highest requested Dragon Quest protagonist from the West), and Banjo & Kazooie?

On 5/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, King Marth 64 said:

What if Crash doesn't get in as a Fighter, but added as a Mii Fighter Costume in Ultimate incase if all two slots for Challenger Pack 10 and 11 gets revealed at E3 2021? I'm still think Shantae would have likely higher chance than Crash since I didn't see any voting promotion for Crash during at Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U era when the Fighter Ballot began around in 2015. I think Nintendo might have looked at the Fighter Ballot Results to see what fighters could they might add in since I do know the other fighters in Ultimate were been requested from the Fighter Ballot like Isabelle, King K. Rool, Simon (for West), Richter (for Japan), Dark Samus (for West), Chrom (for Japan), Eight (for West, they did said Eight was the highest requested Dragon Quest protagonist from the West), and Banjo & Kazooie?

That might have had something to do with the Bandicoot's then-most recent outing being Mind over Mutant, seven years prior. If that poll had gone on now, I guarantee you Crash would be one of the top results.

Edited by Lord_Brand

19 hours ago, Jingilator said:

I wonder what event for this week is gonna be announced tomorrow.

Is it suppose to be about the new Spirit Event coming up or is it Online Match Events? I didn't noticed that we're getting some announcements this week before E3 2021?

4 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Is it suppose to be about the new Spirit Event coming up or is it Online Match Events? I didn't noticed that we're getting some announcements this week before E3 2021?

They usually happen on Tuesdays. The last event we had was an online tournament celebrating the 35th anniversaries of Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Kid Icarus, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid.

1 minute ago, Jingilator said:

They usually happen on Tuesdays. The last event we had was an online tournament celebrating the 35th anniversaries of Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Kid Icarus, The Legend of Zelda and Metroid.

You mean like this one, correct?:

On 6/1/2021 at 7:11 PM, King Marth 64 said:

You mean like this one, correct?:

Actually. no; more like this.

Anyways, this is purely hypothetical, but I think it'd be hilarious if Sora just so happens to be the last DLC character. That'd bring the overall DLC character count to:

1. Piranha Plant
  2. Joker
  3. Hero
  4. Banjo & Kazooie
  5. Terry
  6. Byleth
  7. Min Min
  8. Steve
  9. Sephiroth
  10. Pyra
  11. Mythra
  12. Whoever CP10 is
  13. Sora

Notice how Sora is the thirteenth character listed? Again, this is purely hypothetical and I don't believe it has any bearing on his chances. I just figured it'd be funny for how perfectly it would line up, intentional or not.

Edited by Jingilator

Sooo...what's your bet for CP10, assuming they're revealed at E3? My Hope's are currently placed on Cash Banooca. I'll be pleasantly surprised if CP11 is revealed there as well (especially if it's Sora), but I don't necessarily expect it.

I feel like it would be very on brand for nintendo to have an amazing third party character announced at E3, then the final one is just a pokemon or fire emblem. And unless there's an unannounced fire emblem game coming out this year we don't have any fire emblems to worry about. It's the rare moment where Smash is caught up on that front.

15 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I feel like it would be very on brand for nintendo to have an amazing third party character announced at E3, then the final one is just a pokemon or fire emblem. And unless there's an unannounced fire emblem game coming out this year we don't have any fire emblems to worry about. It's the rare moment where Smash is caught up on that front.

Surprise Sigurd reveal for smash with a Genealogy remake!

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Surprise Sigurd reveal for smash with a Genealogy remake!

My friend and I were brainstorming a cavalry unit in Smash. The character could fight mounted or dismounted, with the mounted moveset being much less varied but more about hit and run style gameplay. Maybe have some of that movement and attacking are both independent of each other style of gameplay you see on Min Min, Steve, etc. And no access to grabs. When you press the grab button your Horse just whinnies in confusion. 

Altogether I think being able to punch a horse in Smash wouldn't be as well received as punching a wyvern or even pegasus, but I like the idea of needing to mount up with Down B, then the horse disappears whenever you're launched in the air (launched as in hit hard enough to get sent into the tumble state) and the character remains 'dismounted' until they can mount up again upon reaching the ground. Just can't figure out how recovery works. If the character were still mounted, the Up B could be the horse throwing its rider off its back into the air, good for continuing an air combo too. But an already dismounted rider, what do they do? Helicopter lance? Not a lot of options.

1 hour ago, Glennstavos said:

My friend and I were brainstorming a cavalry unit in Smash. The character could fight mounted or dismounted, with the mounted moveset being much less varied but more about hit and run style gameplay. Maybe have some of that movement and attacking are both independent of each other style of gameplay you see on Min Min, Steve, etc. And no access to grabs. When you press the grab button your Horse just whinnies in confusion. 

Altogether I think being able to punch a horse in Smash wouldn't be as well received as punching a wyvern or even pegasus, but I like the idea of needing to mount up with Down B, then the horse disappears whenever you're launched in the air (launched as in hit hard enough to get sent into the tumble state) and the character remains 'dismounted' until they can mount up again upon reaching the ground. Just can't figure out how recovery works. If the character were still mounted, the Up B could be the horse throwing its rider off its back into the air, good for continuing an air combo too. But an already dismounted rider, what do they do? Helicopter lance? Not a lot of options.

I could see the horse just being used for specials like Wario's Bike. As far as recoveries go, actually making the mounted style for your idea be the up special could be very interesting (the horse comes out in an upwards leap). It lead to a very strange way of activating a crucial part of the moveset. Alternatively an unmounted recovery could work by throwing a lance with a chain attached to it like the GBA!General's lance and axe animation, and then using that to recover like a tether grab. Or failing that a pretty generic upwards hit. They had basically nothing to work with for Marth and they still managed to give him a recovery (with animation stolen from Jugdral no less). Make it a two hit combo that automatically chains into itself and call it Pursuit, boom, job done. Spit balling a Sigurd moveset now

Special: Javelin: Sigurd tosses a Javelin which flies foward in an arc. Embeds itself in whatever surface it hits and remains in place for a few seconds dealing light damage to any enemies who come in contact with it. Not a powerful projectile, but good for spacing and controlling the stage. Holding the button puts Sigurd in a ready stance, he will not throw the Javelin until you release it, similar to Pit's arrow. Use the control stick to angle the arc of the Javelin before throwing it.

Side Special: Charge: Sigurd rushes forward on his horse like Wario's Bike. Can control the speed and even turn around. If used in the air Sigurd can treat it like a Yoshi and jump off of it. Unlike Wario's Bike, if Sigurd is knocked off of his horse, it vanishes. There is a slight cool down before Sigurd can summon another horse.

Up Special: Pursuit: Sigurd slashes forward in a given direction like Sephiroth's Blade Dash (the uncharged version of Octoslash), should this attack connect with a hurt box, Sigurd will automatically launch a second strike that can also be directed. This actually makes the attack rather safe to use against shields (unlike Octoslash) as if Sigurd hits a shield with the first hit, he can retreat with the second hit.

Down Special: Aegis: Classic skill of Paladin's that reduced ranged damage. Retooled here to be a reflector. Sigurd takes a stance with his blade in front of him and glows, if hit by a projectile Sigurd will slash with his sword, deflecting the projectile and hitting any nearby foes.

Edited by Jotari