Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

49 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

Were you the one who mentioned that Kazuya's moveset changes when he activates his devil form?

No. I just bet against that possibility. That's it's just an aesthetic change to the character to justify certain special moves. That's pretty much the case in the source material too as far as I've seen. It's not a thing that you activate manually or build up. The form just appears when he uses one of those moves, then goes away.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still predicting in Kazuya's Presentation that we might going to see:

1. Mii Fighter Costumes Round 10 (I'm predicting that we might get 1 or 2 Tekken Mii Fighter Costumes, Llyod Irving Mii Fighter Costume return, Wonder Momo Mii Fighter Costume (Brawler), Valkyrie Mii Fighter Costume (Swordfighter), and Dig Dug Mii Fighter Costume (Shooter))
  2. More details on Kazuya Move sets
  3. More details on the Tekken Stage
  4. Kazuya's Classic Mode + Who is Kazuya's Final Boss (I'm predicting Dracula) - I do not think it's going to long as Terry's Classic Mode Presentation
  5. Kazuya's Spirit Board
  6. What's also included in 12.0.0 Update?
  7. Maybe Sakurai will give out an Arranged Announcement Date for Final Challenger Pack 11 that Sakurai might tell to mark our calanders at (like maybe Holiday 2020 or Fall 2020) at the end of the Presentation similar to like after Cloud's announcement at November Nintendo Direct 2015 that showed the reveal date for Final Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U DLC Presentation was handled.
Edited by King Marth 64

I think E.M.M.I. from the upcoming Metroid Dread might be a cool fighter or Assist Trophy in the future, but for the former I wanna play Dread for myself before I have a concrete idea of how E.M.M.I. could play.

Honestly I'm not all that psyched for Kazuya, even though he looks like he'd fit my playstyle rather well. I just find taking these characters from traditional fighting games and porting them to Smash a bit...I don't know, uninspired? Like they're clearly  putting in a tonne of work into it (like seriously, it almost looks like we could have gotten two characters for how much effort they put into Kazuya with his billion+ moves), but at the end of the day the characters are acting like they are in traditional fighting games and, well, if I wanted to play that then I would just go and play Tekken or Street Fighter. I play Smash because it's entirely unlike other fighting games. Though I will give him a fair chance, maybe I'll end up loving him. Ryu, Ken and Terry never enticed me at all though, they're some of my least played characters in Smash. And Kazuya looks like a character you need to absolutely master or else you'll suck. He has so many special variations with so much precise timing and directional input (god help anyone who can't avoid playing with JoyCon Drift), I feel a player just picking him up will be tripping over themselves. I'll have to really like him right away to find much incentive to put the work in to play him well.

In other news, but of a shame Dante's a Mii Costume and not a fighter (though I suspect more people will be disappointed by Shantae). Up in the air who the last character will be now. I just hope it's not someone from Soul Calibur or Mortal Kombat 😕 I mean I do like those games, but per what I said before about not being a big fan of them getting ported so directly into Smash.

I never imagined a mii fighter costume reveal would upset me until I saw Lloyd's. RIP 🙏🏽 He was not meant to be.

Anyway, Kazuya looks cool. I enjoy Ryu and Terry and he seems even more fleshed out than them, which would make him more complicated to play in comparison, but he does get tons of moves with all kinds of utility out of it so it's a pretty fair trade off. Definitely a step up from P&M imo.

Only one more fighter to go. Lloyd's chances are dead now but at least I can still hold out hope for Phoenix. Especially with the Great Ace Attorney coming out this year.

well, i guess i'll have fun trying to make all of kazuya's moves work into a combo

can't wait to play him, and honestly surprised by the mii costumes this time around

Edited by Yexin

At least we got to see how Kazuya's Spirit Board looked and pretty much confirmed that Jin is the only Tekken Enhanced Spirit, I usually thought Heihachi was going to get the Enhanced Spirit Version? I'm still kinda curious on what Kazuya's Classic Mode is going to be tomorrow since we haven't seen it in the Presentation.

For Mii Fighter Costume Round 10, it's kinda odd that we haven't seen a single new Tekken Mii Fighter Costume. (It kinda feels similar in Pyra's and Mythra's Presentation that we didn't have a single new Xenoblade Chronicles costume in Round 9 and stuck with 4 Mii Fighter Costumes) I did predicted that Llyod is going to show up, but I did not expect that Shantae got in as a Mii Fighter Costume which she is one of my picks. At least that's every returning Mii Fighter Costumes from Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U came back in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Edited by King Marth 64

Ha, wow. That mii fighter selection feels very "sorry we opted not to do a Fighter's Pass 3 after all". I would have pegged al of those as high tier considerations. Very surprised at no Tekken additions as well. Don't we have like three virtua fighter miis and an assist trophy? That's the progenitor series to Tekken, come to think of it. Eh, I think the next fighting character for Smash 6 ought to be Sub Zero. I also wish it was Dante who came in with music. No disrespect to Shantae, but Burning Town isn't the best track from her games, and Devil Trigger needs to be in Smash.

Okay, not what I was expecting as far as Kazuya's controls. Sakurai's advice of "find your easy stuff before graduating to the technical moves" is very true to other fighting games, Tekken especially. And it justifies some of the weirder stuff they put into his moveset. Sakurai seems to think his main weakness as a fighter is the high startup on attacks. It's true, I think I read somewhere that the fastest jabs in Tekken come out on frame 10, compared to most jabs coming out on frame 2 or 3 in Smash. Buuuuut, Bayonetta's fastest moves came out on frame 7 back in Smash 4 and she was a terror in that game with what she could do on-hit. It'll probably come down to how well Kazuya can come in with his armored moves and abusing I frames. He doesn't seem to move very quickly, and he doesn't have Bayonetta's Side B to slip in either. We'll see. I'm going to have so much fun with him.

Also the Tekken music is much more expansive than I expected. All my favorites got in!

Edited by Glennstavos

Ouch. Deconfirmations of both Tales and DMC as the final character. 

I'm officially no longer interested in FP2. It's been an unmitigated disappointment for me, and the only thing left that could at all redeem the pass for me would be a Nihon Falcom fighter.

Edited by Fabulously Olivier

I haven't watched the video yet, but...Shantae got Mii Costume'd? 💔 My heart ain't just broken, it's smashed. At least she got premium treatment...

Well Crash, it's all up to you to end this Pass with a bang, now. I'm not hopeful, but hey, the Bandicoot made an unexpected comeback in 2017 with the N. Sane Trilogy, so maybe he'll swing this as well. But the moment Kazuya was revealed, my heart sank, because I knew at least one of the last two I wanted wasn't getting in, and now I know for certain who. Ultimate started off strong with the additions of Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon, and the DLC had a couple of smash hits with Banjo & Kazooie and Sephiroth, but the rest has been mildly entertaining to meh.

I want to know when Smash 6 is coming more than anything, now. Is it safe to assume some of the more notable Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes will be first in line next time?

Edited by Lord_Brand

3 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I never imagined a mii fighter costume reveal would upset me until I saw Lloyd's. RIP 🙏🏽 He was not meant to be.

Anyway, Kazuya looks cool. I enjoy Ryu and Terry and he seems even more fleshed out than them, which would make him more complicated to play in comparison, but he does get tons of moves with all kinds of utility out of it so it's a pretty fair trade off. Definitely a step up from P&M imo.

Only one more fighter to go. Lloyd's chances are dead now but at least I can still hold out hope for Phoenix. Especially with the Great Ace Attorney coming out this year.

It's not a series I'm familiar with at all, but isn't there a bunch of other Tales Of protagonists that could get in instead of Lloyd?

8 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's not a series I'm familiar with at all, but isn't there a bunch of other Tales Of protagonists that could get in instead of Lloyd?

(If a Tales character was our Bamco rep, then) Sure! There's Yuri Lowell, another popular Tales character.

Maybe of Yuri got in, Lloyd could've been a Spirit on his Spirit Board?

9 minutes ago, Jingilator said:

(If a Tales character was our Bamco rep, then) Sure! There's Yuri Lowell, another popular Tales character.

Maybe of Yuri got in, Lloyd could've been a Spirit on his Spirit Board?

Yuri is also the better pick. He's one of 2 characters in the franchise that is so popular, they've literally retired him to the Hall of Fame to keep popularity polls interesting (the other one isn't Lloyd, btw).

As someone who would have loved to see Shantae fully playable, I still take this as a win. I had no hope of her being the last DLC fighter and this is still clear acknowledgement of demand for her.

The Dragonborn costume is pretty neat. Maybe he'll make it into Smash 6, as well?

If even half of these "missed opportunity" characters make it in to Smash 6's default roster, that'll be one hell of a reveal trailer.

• Mega Man X
  • Zero
  • Doom Slayer
  • Waluigi
  • Alucard
  • Dante
  • Shadow the Hedgehog
  • Shantae
  • Lloyd Irving
  • Dragonborn
  • Travis Touchdown

I'd like to think Sora, Crash and Master Chief are all chomping at the bit for that last spot (which could very well be anybody) while Bandana Dee and Dr. Eggman are patiently observing from a distance.

They just up and gave Kazuya four additional tilts, in addition to special inputs, double tap inputs, a unique dash grab, a while rising input, probably something else I'm forgetting. And Min Min has a few less moves than the average character. Kind of reminds me of how Ryu and Bayonetta came out so close together, and both have quarter circle forward moves, and that maybe the next smash game would just throw special inputs into the mix for a bunch of characters that you wouldn't expect to have that. I was wrong on that, but regardless I have to wonder if in future Smash titles it will be normal to see such a large disparity on the number of moves. Or if nobody will bat an eye to see a character with a diagonal down tilt here or there in addition to the usual down tilt. I always felt like characters who can crawl ought to have a crawling specific move as well.

I guess I'll have to see how Kazuya feels outside the 1v1 setting before clamoring for more moves. Some of those inputs just don't sound intuitive, and I know from experience going for Terry's two side specials does not feel right at all. That's in addition to the issue I have where trying to fast fall or down air somebody gets read as a special input just because my control stick has now slid to the side in order to control my air movement. That's gotten me killed a lot as an accidental tatsumaki sends me careening too far offstage to recover.

2 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

Yuri is also the better pick. He's one of 2 characters in the franchise that is so popular, they've literally retired him to the Hall of Fame to keep popularity polls interesting (the other one isn't Lloyd, btw).

Dont remind me, its depressing! 

11 minutes ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I really do hate that they've embraced special inputs. One of the best things about Smash is its intuitive controls compared to other fighting games.

you can always play Kazuya (just like Ryu, Ken and Terry), not use special inputs and still have a great time and be at least decent at the game, if you know what you're doing

Smash Ultimate is not as hardcore as Tekken, so unless you're a competitive player, nothing about Kazuya's shticks should really bother you, and i could add that the 10 hit combo is actually nothing special since you just have to hold A, same goes for a few other moves
to be completely honest, Kazuya seems like the least complex "fighting game" character in Smash, if we only look at how his moves are executed
like the only special inputs you need to learn are the same as the ones you need to do for the Shoryuken

Edited by Yexin

49 minutes ago, Yexin said:

to be completely honest, Kazuya seems like the least complex "fighting game" character in Smash, if we only look at how his moves are executed
like the only special inputs you need to learn are the same as the ones you need to do for the Shoryuken

There's so much more inputs to remember. There's double tap forward, while rising, there's the crouch dash, the unique dash grab. 

With Ryu/Ken, you need to learn literally none of them since all their special inputs are their special moves. Your shoryukens won't be quite as powerful, but you can get by just hitting Up B or Side B on any hit confirm and even kill with them. And if you did want to count the True versions of those moves, it's a quarter circle motion for two of them, and shoryuken for the last. And Terry's only got his two GO moves that can't be performed any other way than learning the motions. Kazuya's got several unique motions in addition to keeping track of what his five extra tilts might be good for.

The 10 Hit Combo being a jab combo is wild though. Wasn't expecting them to do that.

Edited by Glennstavos

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

There is but it doesn't mean I like them all equally. And honestly, the only other one that is likely to make it is Yuri since, as mentioned already, he's so popular he got removed from popularity polls. Maybe Cress too out of first-ism. And like I'm OK with Yuri, but I would definitely prefer Sorey or Luke over him or even side characters like Colette, Jade, Guy, Arche, Repede (yes, I'd sooner take the dog over Yuri and honestly most of the Vesperia cast) but like none of those are likely. Well maybe Repede is if he came bundled with Yuri as like part of his attacks or maybe like an independent follower like Luma but still not counting on it.

It's a good series though and despite everything I said, I would like to see it get repped even it isn't by any of my preferred characters. Might even pave the way for others I do like to join in the future.

3 hours ago, Fabulously Olivier said:

I knew about Yuri being retired but who's the other one? I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything.

49 minutes ago, Yexin said:

you can always play Kazuya (just like Ryu, Ken and Terry), not use special inputs and still have a great time and be at least decent at the game, if you know what you're doing

Smash Ultimate is not as hardcore as Tekken, so unless you're a competitive player, nothing about Kazuya's shticks should really bother you

That's not entirely true. You can perform almost all of Ryu's/Ken's and Terry's moves through traditional inputs. Sure they're less powerful like that but it's still something. Kazuya has quite a few moves that can't be performed at all if you don't bother with special inputs.

I don't necessarily thinks that a bad thing btw, nothing wrong with having more technical characters, but it's definitely not gonna be anywhere near the same experience as if you omitted the special inputs like for other fighters.

1 minute ago, NegativeExponents- said:

There is but it doesn't mean I like them all equally. And honestly, the only other one that is likely to make it is Yuri since, as mentioned already, he's so popular he got removed from popularity polls. Maybe Cress too out of first-ism. And like I'm OK with Yuri, but I would definitely prefer Sorey or Luke over him or even side characters like Colette, Jade, Guy, Arche, Repede (yes, I'd sooner take the dog over Yuri and honestly most of the Vesperia cast) but like none of those are likely. Well maybe Repede is if he came bundled with Yuri as like part of his attacks or maybe like an independent follower like Luma but still not counting on it.

It's a good series though and despite everything I said, I would like to see it get repped even it isn't by any of my preferred characters. Might even pave the way for others I do like to join in the future.

I knew about Yuri being retired but who's the other one? I tried to Google it but couldn't find anything.

That's not entirely true. You can perform almost all of Ryu's/Ken's and Terry's moves through traditional inputs. Sure they're less powerful like that but it's still something. Kazuya has quite a few moves that can't be performed at all if you don't bother with special inputs.

I don't necessarily thinks that a bad thing btw, nothing wrong with having more technical characters, but it's definitely not gonna be anywhere near the same experience as if you omitted the special inputs like for other fighters.

Leon Magnus from Tales of Destiny is the other character.