Super Smash Bros. Ultimate News and Discussion: A Simple and Clean Finish

Lightchao42

Now that Ultimate has been out for a while, who is your favorite newcomer?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your favorite base game (and Piranha Plant) newcomer?

2. 2. Who is your favorite new Echo Fighter?

3. 3. Who is your favorite Fighters Pass 1 character?

13 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Imagine yourself as Sakurai, about to reveal CP11...and you get to one day utter the words:

"For this last spot, Nintendo asked me personally what character I would like to have in Super Smash Bros. I suggested (insert character here) and now I am so happy to finally see (insert character here) in the game."

Who would you pick in this regard? For me, it'd be Sora or Crash or Eggman.

Aka "Who is your most-wanted?"

I don't know what Sakurai has played and loved so I don't know which specific character, but I would definitely go with someone obscure that Nintendo would never approve of otherwise.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found time to punch some random people online with a buddy. Kazuya's great. There are so many possibilities with such an expansive moveset that it's hard to decide what you should try to fit the situation. And I'm so focused on the A moves that I often forget that I have specials as well to consider. With some more time, I bet I could really make the most of what he has to offer.

A lot of Kazuya's more interesting tools are tied to the crouch dash. And luckily I can shoryuken on command so I've had little trouble performing those attacks. But I still have my complaints about the controls. For instance the Gates of Hell. Shoryuken plus grab. Sounds easy, only Smash has this weird quirk where pressing grab occasionally gets registered as an A press. I've noticed this bug in every Smash game, but this is the first time where it's actually screwing up my intended inputs. What I found the most difficult to perform was really the double forward tilt move. It was often coming out as a Forward Smash or dash attack depending on how fast or slowly I tried to move the control stick for that second input. That's an important move to be able to do consistently, since it's Kaz's reflector. And it gets me thinking how much easier Kazuya's directional inputs would be if you didn't have to worry about tilts and smashes in a tense situation. Heck, any character would benefit from removing that dichotomy, and mapping moves to an additional attacking button. If you've ever in your life tried to tilt somebody and a laggy smash attack came out instead, you can see where I'm coming from. Imagine Smash Bros with light attacks on one button, heavy attacks on another, and your usual special button. Suddenly you can play Smash Bros with a Directional pad rather than requiring a control stick. But that's just controller theory. At the very least I wouldn't mind the option of mapping tilt and smashes to specific buttons in the future.

Edited by Glennstavos

I did get a notification in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate that we are getting 1 another Monster Hunter Spirit after the Tekken Spirits is the Razewing Ratha. It did said this spirit has to be obtained by playing Monster Hunter Stories 2 similar to like how Tockles Spirit can be unlocked by getting Dragon Quest XI, Sophia Spirit from getting Persona 5 Strikers, and Arthur Spirit from getting Ghost and Goblins Resurrection. Also, I managed to buy the 4 Mii Fighter Costumes yesterday and Shantae's Spirit Battle is still not gotten a DLC updated and still uses Zero Suit Samus.

Edited by King Marth 64

2 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

But I still have my complaints about the controls. For instance the Gates of Hell. Shoryuken plus grab. Sounds easy, only Smash has this weird quirk where pressing grab occasionally gets registered as an A press. I've noticed this bug in every Smash game, but this is the first time where it's actually screwing up my intended inputs. What I found the most difficult to perform was really the double forward tilt move. It was often coming out as a Forward Smash or dash attack depending on how fast or slowly I tried to move the control stick for that second input. That's an important move to be able to do consistently, since it's Kaz's reflector. And it gets me thinking how much easier Kazuya's directional inputs would be if you didn't have to worry about tilts and smashes in a tense situation. Heck, any character would benefit from removing that dichotomy, and mapping moves to an additional attacking button. If you've ever in your life tried to tilt somebody and a laggy smash attack came out instead, you can see where I'm coming from. Imagine Smash Bros with light attacks on one button, heavy attacks on another, and your usual special button. Suddenly you can play Smash Bros with a Directional pad rather than requiring a control stick. But that's just controller theory. At the very least I wouldn't mind the option of mapping tilt and smashes to specific buttons in the future.

Ahem...

9 hours ago, Florete said:

Aka "Who is your most-wanted?"

That format actually wouldn't work for my most wanted, which is Pig Beast Ganon, because he already is in the game, just not in the form I want (classic Ganon with the trident).

On 7/1/2021 at 5:30 PM, Perkilator said:

Imagine yourself as Sakurai, about to reveal CP11...and you get to one day utter the words:

"For this last spot, Nintendo asked me personally what character I would like to have in Super Smash Bros. I suggested (insert character here) and now I am so happy to finally see (insert character here) in the game."

Who would you pick in this regard? For me, it'd be Sora or Crash or Eggman.

Crash Bandicoot, no question.

Unlikely, but I hope we get an update circa the last fighter's release that adds Guidances for the Fighters Pass characters.
(Thank the lord for the people behind the fan made versions by Zelda Universe, at least)

So we know Challenger Pack #11 will be the last DLC fighter, but does that mean there will be no further DLC Spirits or Mii Costumes? Seems to me like they could keep rolling those out for a year or so.

58 minutes ago, Lord_Brand said:

So we know Challenger Pack #11 will be the last DLC fighter, but does that mean there will be no further DLC Spirits or Mii Costumes? Seems to me like they could keep rolling those out for a year or so.

Mii Costumes? Most likely done after CP11. DLC Spirits? I could see Spirit Events and save data Spirits, and that’s about it. DLC Spirit Boards are probably also done after CP11.

On 7/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, Perkilator said:

Mii Costumes? Most likely done after CP11. DLC Spirits? I could see Spirit Events and save data Spirits, and that’s about it. DLC Spirit Boards are probably also done after CP11.

On the other hand, if development no longer has to focus resources on fighters, they can release costumes more often. There are still dozens of possibilities. Mega Man and Final Fantasy alone could fill entire pages with all the characters (and classes, in FF's case) they could adapt as Mii Costumes. Even Sonic has a lot to offer, so long as you use proper head masks and not those awful hats and wigs. Better yet, they could update a lot of the Spirit Battles to use Mii Fighters with matching costumes. New Spirits could get accompanying costumes as well.

Here are some I'd love to add to the game:

Spoiler
  • Super Mario
    • Swordfighter - Waluigi
  • Star Fox
    • Gunner - Krystal (Assault)
    • Swordfighter - Krystal (Adventures)
  • Pokemon
    • Brawler - Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Lopunny
    • Swordfighter - Marowak
  • Mega Man
    • Brawler - Cut Man, Guts Man, Ice Man, Bomb Man, Elec Man, Iris, Phantom, GutsMan.EXE
    • Gunner - Fire Man, Flash Man, Skull Man, Bass, Alia, Axl, Palette, Fefnir, Model X, Bass.EXE
    • Swordfighter - Colonel, Harpuia, Leviathan, ProtoMan.EXE
    • Roll - Gunner, Swordfighter
    • Sigma - Gunner, Swordfighter
      • Brawler - Neo Sigma, Psycho Sigma
    • Zero (Z) - All
    • Roll.EXE - Brawler, Gunner
  • Final Fantasy
    • Brawler - Monk, Yang, Sabin, Zell, Rikku
    • Gunner - Edgar, Vincent, Laguna
    • Swordfighter - Warrior, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, Cecil (Dark Knight), Cecil (Paladin), Terra, Locke, Celes, Cyan, Squall, Zidane, Steiner, Tidus
  • World of Mana
    • Brawler - Primm
    • Swordfighter - Sumo, Randi, Duran
  • Chrono
    • Brawler - Ayla, Robo, Kid
    • Gunner - Marle, Lucca, Norris
    • Swordfighter - Crono, Frog, Serge, Glenn
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
    • Brawler - Honey the Cat, Tikal, Shadow the Hedgehog, Rouge the Bat, Blaze the Cat, Silver the Hedgehog
    • Gunner - Egg Robo, Fang the Sniper, E-123 Omega
    • Swordfighter - Amy Rose, Excalibur Sonic
  • Dragon's Lair
    • Swordfighter - Dirk the Daring
  • Space Ace
    • Gunner - Ace
  • Banjo-Kazooie
    • Swordfighter - Mumbo Jumbo
  • Conker
    • Swordfighter - Conker
  • Dinosaur Planet (Unreleased)
    • Swordfighter - Sabre
  • Doom
    • Doom Slayer - All
  • Crash Bandicoot
    • Brawler - Tawna Bandicoot, Coco Bandicoot, Crunch Bandicoot, Nina Cortex
    • Gunner - Neo Cortex, Pinstripe Potoroo
    • Swordfighter - N. Tropy
  • Spyro
    • Gunner - Agent 9
    • Swordfighter - Ripto
  • Shantae
    • Risky Boots - Gunner, Swordfighter

It's a pity we don't have a Mii Spellcaster for mage-type characters, that would work so much better than lumping them in with Swordfighters. Spearfighters and Twohanders would be cool, too. If we want to go even further, you could have Mii fighters that wield dagger-type weapons in reverse grip for thief and ninja-type characters. Sneakers? Slashers? Stealth-Strikers?

I was playing Smash Run earlier today, and now I'm sad this wasn't brought back, base game or free update.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the over abundance of enemies from Kid Icarus alone and the swarms of enemies in general in the same room on occasion.

Yeah, I'd like to see more stages like what Adventure Mode had back in Melee, with a variety of enemies taken from different series. For Smash 6, I'd thought of an Adventure Mode map that works similar to the Subspace Emissary and World of Light, but with greater variety in stage types, and more focus on content from the source games. The map is divided into submaps with different themes, such as Kingdom, City, Islands, Desert, Mountains, etc.

• Course - Platformer-style stages with enemies, obstacles, and collectible items. Some have additional riders:
    • Timed - Clear the stage within a specified amount of time.
    • Stealth - Try to avoid being detected. Depending on the stage, being caught either penalizes you or results in instant failure.
    • Race - A race against one or more other fighters.
    • Scroll - The course scrolls automatically.
    • Chase - Pursue a target and catch them before they escape.
    • Flee - Get to the end before your pursuer catches you.
  • Event - Minigame stages where you perform some kind of task, such as breaking targets within a time limit or scoring as high as you can.
  • Battle - A stage where you battle one or more opponents. This in turn has a few subcategories:
    • Horde - Battle a horde of enemies.
    • Fighter Horde - Battle a horde of fighters.
    • Mixed Horde - Battle a horde of both enemies and fighters.
    • Fighter Challenge - Battle a playable fighter. Many unlockable fighters are unlocked this way.
    • Boss - Fight a powerful boss.
    • Gauntlet - Fight a series of battles.
  • Shop - Use in-game currency to purchase items. These include one-use powerups for stages as well as collectibles.

Completing Stages on the Adventure Mode map opens up new paths and additional stages, though some stages require an additional condition to be met before they can be played. There can be Quests on the Adventure Map issued by both NPCs as well as unlockable fighters. For example, Krystal starts out imprisoned within a crystal, much like she is in Star Fox Adventures, but by completing the six tests of the Krazoa, she is freed and can be fought in a friendly challenge to unlock her. Another example would be Wario, who tasks you with amassing a sizeable sum of cash before he'll let you challenge him and prove your worth.

For some NPC examples, you have characters like Cranky Kong and Dr. Light who give you challenges that you can complete for rewards. One of Dr. Light's first quests could be the means by which Mega Man's Fighter Challenge is unlocked. Mega Man X could be unlocked through Light as well, either as base game content or as DLC.

That would be one of the more exciting possibilities for Adventure Mode; DLC expansions adding new stages and even new submaps.

• 2 weeks later...

Man, Shadows of Valentia was done dirty in Smash Ultimate. It didn't even need a fighter from that game; it just needed better musical and Spirit representation, IMO (especially the latter)

The only Spirits of Valentian characters are Alm and Celica, and they're in a pair! What about Spirits of the characters from the OG Gaiden? Gray, Tobin, Clair, Clive, Mycen, Mae and Boey, Saber, Sonya, Rudolf, Jedah...just to name a few. And that's not even going into the Echoes OC's; Faye, Fernand, Berkut and the Masked Knight.

This is definitely might be related towards Crash Bandicoot talk for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Does anyone think the Activison Blizzard lawsuit that happened recently will might hurt and affect the chances for Crash Bandicoot's chance or appear as a Mii Fighter Costume since I did saw a lot of Crash fans wanted him to appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I did saw this was mentioned from IGN that Activison Blizzard is getting sued by the Californian Government for the Sexual Harrasment Assult that happened a while ago. I know that Crash Bandicoot would might be unlikely to appear in Challenger Pack 11 since Sakurai might going to do the same like poor Shantae and Dante (which he wasn't my choice for the roster), but do you think this lawsuit controversy could might get affect Crash Bandicoot's chances or cameo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Sakurai possibly scrap him to the roster or as a Mii Fighter Costume for avoiding the controversy since Crash Bandicoot was belong to Activison Blizzard as of right now?

Edited by King Marth 64

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

This is definitely might be related towards Crash Bandicoot talk for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Does anyone think the Activison Blizzard lawsuit that happened recently will might hurt and affect the chances for Crash Bandicoot's chance or appear as a Mii Fighter Costume since I did saw a lot of Crash fans wanted him to appear in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. I did saw this was mentioned from IGN that Activison Blizzard is getting sued by the Californian Government for the Sexual Harrasment Assult that happened a while ago. I know that Crash Bandicoot would might be unlikely to appear in Challenger Pack 11 since Sakurai might going to do the same like poor Shantae and Dante (which he wasn't my choice for the roster), but do you think this lawsuit controversy could might get affect Crash Bandicoot's chances or cameo for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Sakurai possibly scrap him to the roster or as a Mii Fighter Costume for avoiding the controversy since Crash Bandicoot was belong to Activison Blizzard as of right now?

Assuming Crash is the last fighter, I don’t think he would be scrapped because of the lawsuit, as all the fighters were locked in back in 2019.

Who would they replace him with, and how would they get the replacement done in time?

A bummer to hear about the lawsuit, though. If Crash is announced, I hope people don't flood the video chat or comment section with jokes and remarks about it. Not that it doesn't deserve to be brought to public attention and resolved, but the Crash and Smash fans' fun shouldn't have to be ruined because of some idiot creep. Let news sites handle the news and let the Crash and Smash fans have fun with the announcement video.

Edited by Lord_Brand

2 hours ago, Lord_Brand said:

Who would they replace him with, and how would they get the replacement done in time?

A bummer to hear about the lawsuit, though. If Crash is announced, I hope people don't flood the video chat or comment section with jokes and remarks about it. Not that it doesn't deserve to be brought to public attention and resolved (though the victim may want the matter resolved discreetly and might be humiliated if the issue receives too much attention), but the Crash and Smash fans' fun shouldn't have to be ruined because of some idiot creep. Let news sites handle the news and let the Crash and Smash fans have fun with the announcement video.

Wait, if you said this like if 50-50 chances would if there's some controversy like this might possibly happen when Crash was got announced. Wouldn't an another possibility that could happen like the anti-Activision Blizzard community who was still with the Company's Sexual Harassment Damage Lawsuit Report could might show up and would might try to bring a boycott activity down towards Sakurai and Nintendo unfairly for partnering up with Activision Blizzard if Nintendo did decided to bring and keep Crash Bandicoot for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

Edited by King Marth 64

1 hour ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, if you said this like if 50-50 chances would if there's some controversy like this might possibly happen when Crash was got announced. Wouldn't an another possibility that could happen like the anti-Activision Blizzard community who was still with the Company's Sexual Harassment Damage Lawsuit Report could might show up and would might try to bring a boycott activity down towards Sakurai and Nintendo unfairly for partnering up with Activision Blizzard if Nintendo did decided to bring and keep Crash Bandicoot for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

That'd get shot down pretty quick. Putting Crash in Smash =/= condoning sexual harassment. When did the harassment happen, anyway? If Crash is the last DLC, chances are they decided that a good two years ago. If the harassment happened after that, then it reflects even less on Nintendo's part. And if AB's smart, they'll make sure to clarify that they do not condone sexual harassment, just as any sane company would. No-one has any good reason to come after Nintendo just because they're adding a beloved video game mascot to a video game that's about celebrating video gaming.

I for one hope the last character isn't anyone from Activision/Blizzard. I'm not giving that piece of trash company a single cent and I really hope the lawsuit goes through. Companies like that shouldn't be allowed to do as they please.

Okay, now I know more about what's been going on about the lawsuit. Someone apparently committed suicide over the harassment. Damn. Now I have conflicting feelings about whether or not Crash should get in. But, I would really like to know more specifics before making a judgment. It's easy to hear news and assume it's true, it's another to ask for hard evidence or proof of the fact. And recent years have taught me not to trust the media. Documents can be doctored. People can claim anything, knowing some out there will automatically take their side, facts be damned.

It's easy to think of a company as a monolithic entity and to apply any wrongdoing to the company as a whole, but corporations are made up of anywhere from dozens to thousands of people who all have independent minds, and not all of whom may agree with or support the activity being reported on. Are we going to assume literally every employee with XY chromosomes in this company is guilty of violating someone's personal space and creating a hostile work environment? Are we going to assume literally every employee with XX chromosomes in this company has been harassed in some manner?

I feel like a more thorough investigation is warranted, here. I want names. Who all exactly did the harassing? Who all exactly was harassed? Who exactly is completely innocent in this situation? And if AB falls - not that it's likely to do so - what's to become of the female employees who have allegedly been harassed? Where else will they work? What happens to their livelihoods? Sure, they'll be compensated fiscally for their hardship now, but then what? And for that matter, what about every employee who wasn't involved in the harassment? Is every guy who happened to work at AB at the time this went on going to be labeled a sexual predator, even the ones who didn't actually have anything to do with the harassment themselves? Is every employee and IP at this company going to be damned by association?

Ultimately, whether or not the DLC is Crash has been decided well before now. It's not fiscally probable to scrap that plan and switch to someone else. The work's already basically halfway done by now, if they tried changing the last fighter within months of their expected release, they'll run out of time before they're finished. They'll have to push the deadline back. And AB will have already gotten their money from Nintendo per the licensing deal, well before the fact. That's why Crash and Spyro didn't get into PSASBR; Activision was asking for way too much money up front. I see no reason why they wouldn't have asked for an up-front payment here as well. Which, sadly, does make it seem less likely that it is Crash, knowing that they probably put an exorbitant price on his name. If they asked for too much back when Mind Over Mutant was his latest, coolest thing, then I don't want to think what kinds of figures he's fetching now that he's back and at his best ever.

If it is Crash, I'll celebrate all the same, for his fans and the Smash developers who worked hard to make him look and play as good as possible within the development timeframe. Crash being in Smash has nothing to do with corporate employees harassing other employees. I choose to separate the two and judge each by their own circumstances.

Crash getting into Smash is good, because I'm a Crash fan and look forward to playing him, seeing his stage and Spirit Board, and hearing what music got into the game.

Employees harassing each other is bad for reasons I shouldn't have to explain. The employees actually responsible should be duly punished, the victims given due reparations, and everyone else left well enough alone.

Edited by Lord_Brand

Look, if you want to still support Crash for Smash that's fine. If it's already settled it's going to happen regardless.

But don't try to justify this company's actions in order to give yourself peace of mind. This is not some small lawsuit that's asking for an off-screen settlement. This is a state lawsuit, meaning there's been an investigation going for years, several victims have spoken (and many more are speaking up through social media), and plenty of testimony and proof have been gathered. The woman who was harassed to the point of suicide was something that really happened (No "apparently" about that). And several Activision/Blizzard higher-ups are now coming out giving fake apologies (because you know they're only apologizing since this is now out in the open).

AB will likely not fall down, but this entire process will go on for years, and the fate of all the people involved, whether they're guilty, innocent, or witnesses will be decided then. The majority of the victims are long gone from AB anyway, so the damage is already done for them.

I'm not derailing this thread talking about this topic anymore. It's a very delicate issue and I think bringing it up here really trivializes the gravitas of the situation. If someone makes a thread at Serious Discussion, I'll probably discuss it there.