Over a year ago we had an FE direct

31 minutes ago, Florete said:

Why would Fire Emblem be the one getting overshadowed? There are plenty of people excited for the series nowadays. The only games we know of that will likely be shown at E3 that may be bigger deals than an FE Switch reveal are Smash (obvious) and Metroid Prime 4 (arguable). There certainly are not "so many" other games that would overshadow it.

I'm not specifically speaking about Nintendo games here.Games like Red Dead Redemption 2,Cyberpunk 2077,Bethesdas new IPs,the new Tomb Raider game are few examples that first come to mind.None of those games are ofcourse comfirmed to have a presense on E3 but they could easily overshadow FE switch without much trouble.

At this point very few people are even aware that this games even exists.Having a reveal outside E3 and then following up with more info when it starts sounds a better strategy to me.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Bubba Jones said:

If (and a big if at that given how unpredictable Nintendo is) they reveal at E3, remember Fates was revealed during E3, was overshadowed at the event by other contendors and the result had no impact on the bottom line.  The only TBS contendors on the switch are Mario+Rabbids, Steamworld Heist, Disgaea, and Worms.  Nothing bad will happen if that’s what they do.

I’m certain communities for Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 are reacting similarly to this one after the direct.

Nintendo has a long, long history of secrecy and releasing information on their own time and following their own schedule without consideration of the feedback, or the desires, of their communities.  Trawling for information from bad or misrepresenting sources, speculating, or doing anything other than waiting and finding something else to do will do nothing but drive you mad.

Fates got revealed in a February direct a few months before it came out in Japan. 

The only FE that's ever been revealed at E3 was RD, IIRC. 

Edited by Slumber

14 hours ago, Tryhard said:

Well, no. Nintendo aims to create profitable games (and merch apparently, with things like Amiibos) like EA and everyone else. I know it's easy to shit on EA but Nintendo aren't making games out of the goodness of their heart.

Of course they are making games in such a way that they are profitable, but the way they do it and the way EA does it is different. For EA their goal form the start is to find ways to milk as much money out of the player as possible with the actual game itself being nothing but an afterthought. With Nintendo the goal may be to make money, but they don't go into development with just that mindset. They go into development with the goal of creating a fun game. That is what I was saying.

Edited by YingofDarkness
typo

12 hours ago, Blade Lord Lyn said:

Don't know who quoted me probably on ignore (for good reason) from this topic....anyway ignoring the salt the direct is over with wait till E3 or April (if anything) to see if FE16 will finally show can't believe its going to be a year and possibly a half to finally hear something....

You know exactly who quoted you, my post was literally only five spots above this quoted one. I understand that you disagree with me but you can at least not be an (self-censored) about it.

On 3/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, SoulWeaver said:

Unless I understand the Topic fully or am asking for clarification so I better understand what's going on, I generally don't post in Topics as a personal rule. The main exception is Introduction Topics, since just hopping into a Thread to give a cheerful hello and welcome requires almost nothing from me and often helps make someone's day.

I understand that this could have been placed somewhere else, like in a general FE16 Topic, but as she herself mentioned, she specifically avoided the more mainstream Threads to try to avoid pissing off random posters like yourself. Are there still places to post such concerns that are less likely to offend people than this? Yes, she could have run this in her Status Update thingy on her Personal Page, but then maybe three people would read it, and it sounds like she's speaking from her fears, which likely means she'd like for people to help her with those fears - not sit and whine at her about how she's making a bigger deal out of it than it is - and I'd say it's probably more comforting to have a bunch of people here try to help her than just her three current followers and anyone who visits her page within the next 24 hours or so.
To answer your question, I'll repeat what I just said here: As far as I can tell, she's speaking from her fears(correct me if I'm wrong anywhere on here btw Lasers). She never said she knew the game would be barebones, she was stating her fears are that either the game will be barebones or that it will be delayed, you simply tripped on the wording she used, which is a common enough mistake, especially on the internet.

You’re right about why I made the topic! Thanks for noticing and thanks for defending me~ sorry I abandoned ship. 

It wasn’t really helping me much and nobody else seemed to share major concerns so I kinda just left for a short break. 

On 3/8/2018 at 7:03 PM, Dandy Druid said:

It probably means they're waiting to reveal it at E3, that way they have a big name IP to show off. The information drought is surprising though, and a bit disappointing.

Ummm, what? E3 happens in June, wayyyyy before you'll be at college. So you'll still be stable and secure.

I graduate HS in May and go to college in August.

E3 is 2 months before college not way before

and the game is after college...I’m gettin scared even thinking about it so late at night... 

11 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

You’re right about why I made the topic! Thanks for noticing and thanks for defending me~ sorry I abandoned ship. 

It wasn’t really helping me much and nobody else seemed to share major concerns so I kinda just left for a short break. 

No problem. I think my biggest concerns for FE16 are more along the lines of fear that we'll have way more fanservice characters considering how much of Camilla and Tharja's popularity ended up coming from that area, which is kind of a shame and would be concerning(for me at least) for more reasons than one. I did realize I was worried about getting a second Corrin-esque Lord once you brought up it maybe ending up barebones, though. I hope they'll be more careful about making sure it has a decently-written story this time around.

3 hours ago, SoulWeaver said:

No problem. I think my biggest concerns for FE16 are more along the lines of fear that we'll have way more fanservice characters considering how much of Camilla and Tharja's popularity ended up coming from that area, which is kind of a shame and would be concerning(for me at least) for more reasons than one. I did realize I was worried about getting a second Corrin-esque Lord once you brought up it maybe ending up barebones, though. I hope they'll be more careful about making sure it has a decently-written story this time around.

Me too. Fanservivy characteers like Tharja don’t bug me but if they’re fanservicy and in high up roles like Camilla who should he important but her character is overshadowed by just being fan. Service. 

But charlotte ie fan service and doesnt bug me at all  she’s just a silly and cuteness parody of the Axe men with no shirts and hugeness muscles but instead of muscles..

3 hours ago, IEatLasers said:

Me too. Fanservivy characteers like Tharja don’t bug me but if they’re fanservicy and in high up roles like Camilla who should he important but her character is overshadowed by just being fan. Service. 

But charlotte ie fan service and doesnt bug me at all  she’s just a silly and cuteness parody of the Axe men with no shirts and hugeness muscles but instead of muscles..

Tharja's interesting because she at least has some serious character development, though you kind of have to dig into her Supports to get it all. Camilla's more of a sad disappointment because they almost had something interesting going with her mental issues(Ghaast on YouTube did an interesting video about her I recommend alongside all his other Support Science videos if you haven't seen them yet) and they just let it go and made her this disturbing…thing, especially in Warriors and Heroes.

Charlotte's parody-ness does make for something to ponder, but her clothes still make me uncomfortable personally, even though I know it fits with her personality and end goals. Most female gamers I've discussed Fates with always act like I'm somehow weird or messed up for being bothered by it, though, and it drives me nuts to not be taken seriously there.

Charlotte is the only one I give a pass to, since there IS somewhat of a point to her being dressed in her underwear. It's not a great reason and it doesn't totally excuse it, but it's something. 

Tharja and Camilla are just 100% victims of awful, awful art direction, though. And their characters do little to redeem this. They're bad characters and they look bad for no reason. "Let's prance around in basically nothing and be awful to literally everyone who isn't the main character, and that'll be 99.9% of our contribution to the universe." 

On that note, my #1 hope from whatever the reveal is that it confirms that they fired the dingbat who came up with the class designs for Awakening and Fates. I wouldn't even totally mind Kozaki as long as somebody with half a brain was giving him templates to work with. 

Edited by Slumber

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Charlotte is the only one I give a pass to, since there IS somewhat of a point to her being dressed in her underwear. It's not a great reason and it doesn't totally excuse it, but it's something. 

Tharja and Camilla are just 100% victims of awful, awful art direction, though. And their characters do little to redeem this. They're bad characters and they look bad for no reason. "Let's prance around in basically nothing and be awful to literally everyone who isn't the main character, and that'll be 99.9% of our contribution to the universe." 

On that note, my #1 hope from whatever the reveal is that it confirms that they fired the dingbat who came up with the class designs for Awakening and Fates. I wouldn't even totally mind Kozaki as long as somebody with half a brain was giving him templates to work with. 

It always felt like Tharja was just the creepy, loner, stalker girl with a bad personality who also just so happened to be hot and because of that came off as a gag character to me. I didn't feel one way or the other about her when I played Awakening, but then she was actually really popular. I still don't really see what people love about her so much, but IS obviously saw an easy cash in with this kind of character and made Camilla. I think we should all just hope that the developers have learned their lesson and have decided to keep gratuitous fan service characters like Camilla and keep them in Heroes.

33 minutes ago, Modamy said:

It always felt like Tharja was just the creepy, loner, stalker girl with a bad personality who also just so happened to be hot and because of that came off as a gag character to me. I didn't feel one way or the other about her when I played Awakening, but then she was actually really popular. I still don't really see what people love about her so much, but IS obviously saw an easy cash in with this kind of character and made Camilla. I think we should all just hope that the developers have learned their lesson and have decided to keep gratuitous fan service characters like Camilla and keep them in Heroes.

I hope so, too. IS has clearly seen Heroes' potential as a fanservice... service. And I'm 100% okay with Heroes  as basically a fanservice platform. 

I just hope that the trade-off is that they tone it way, way down in the mainline series. 

Otherwise I won't be 100% okay with it. Probably not even 10% okay with it. 

If they have like one or two characters that are designed more like Tharja and Sonya, who have a personality and backstory then I'm fine. But when it goes over the top fanservicey to the point of almost no character, that is when I have a problem. 

Tharja does have the obsession with Robin and the sorcerer's clothes are minimal, but I never felt that she was designed just for fanservice. In her supports we got to see a different side to her than "Just Robin".
Camilla on the other hand, she was designed so her fanservice aspects take over. In most of her supports she only talks about Corrin, barely mentioning who she really is.
Sonya does have the appearance of a fanservice character, but that is not who she is. She has a strong backstory and reasons for joining Celica.

I hope FE16 has more characters like Sonya. People with strong backstories and personalities. Having some fanservicey characters does help sell (i'm not denying that), but I don't want to sacrifice a well designed character just for fanservice. 

Guest Dreamyboi

I don't understand why having this kind of fanservice helps sell in the first place. If you want to see a video game character almost nude just type in their name in google images with safesearch off, no need to waste a perfectly good character spot with a one note joke who's mostly there for eye candy and/or creepy fantasy. You can find that shit for free via internet can't you?

Ignoring my own saltiness this DOES sound like a good idea. Have the actual character be an actual character in their game and leave the partial nudity and creepiness to the popular mobile game.

29 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Why the hell it always comes down to criticizing 5ish characters from two games that have over two-hundred? Can't people move on?

When those types of characters rarely(If ever) existed prior? 

No. 

I was totally ecstatic when they announced Smash so I wasn’t completely disappointed with the Direct, especially when the majority of the Direct was focused on ports & dlc, and of course the lack of any long overdue info on the new Fire Emblem.

However! I speculate that we might be getting a Fire Emblem Direct maybe in a few weeks.

Here’s why:

1. Remember the random announcement of Thracia 776 characters being added to Heroes in April a whopping month ahead in advance? This could be just me reading a bit too deep into this, or it could be Nintendo announcing an Echoes: Thracia remake alongside with the new Fire Emblem game and maybe releasing it before the new game to make up for the delay in info/release, perhaps the two games could even be linked together in some way.

2. The final Awakening dlc is slated for Fire Emblem Warriors is near, so it would be a nice little opportunity to show off Tharja, Olivia and Owain in action.

3. The Thracia, Legendary and Seasonal banner announcements for Heroes in April, if they decide to do Easter again or something different. Also maybe some details on the next Heroes patch.

4. Finally, the Direct ends with the long-awaited Fire Emblem 2018 trailer.

5. Fire Emblem’s anniversary is on April 20th, that could also be a contributing factor.

I don’t care if I’m being overly optimistic or just plain dumb, it’d be cool if all this actually comes to fruition. At this point though, people should just calm down and be patient. Fire Emblem isn’t going anywhere, Nintendo is a great company aside from their treatment with content creators, it will come, and the more time they have to polish the game, the better the game will be. Do we really want another rushed mess like Fates?

I’ve seen many negative posts about how Nintendo’s marketing team is stupid for announcing Smash before FE. What difference is it going to make if they announce FE before Smash? Smash is still going to be in the center of attention regardless and especially at E3. Each year has a major title representing Nintendo, BtoW, MariOdyssey and now Smash for 2018. All this is doing is simply hyping up people in the months leading up to E3. And before someone mentions how Smash should have been a 2019 release, no. It makes perfect sense for the title to be released later this year especially if it’s to launch alongside the Switch online service, a vital incentive for people to buy the service.

Course the fault is also Nintendo’s, for prematurely announcing the Fire Emblem Switch game with no information for over a year. But we can do this, we waited over a year, an announcement must be coming.  If not.. at least there’s other games...?

1 hour ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Why the hell it always comes down to criticizing 5ish characters from two games that have over two-hundred? Can't people move on?

Probably not.

I guess that's a reason why these characters remain so popular.

6 hours ago, thanny said:

Remember the random announcement of Thracia 776 characters being added to Heroes in April a whopping month ahead in advance? This could be just me reading a bit too deep into this, or it could be Nintendo announcing an Echoes: Thracia remake alongside with the new Fire Emblem game and maybe releasing it before the new game to make up for the delay in info/release, perhaps the two games could even be linked together in some way.

I really don't think we're getting a Thracia 776 remake alongside FE Switch, certainly not before a Genealogy of the Holy War remake.

I don’t think Thracia will be the next remake. 

Id say holy war or path of radiance 

atm Nintendo isn’t really profiting off Ike 

but i I firmly believe Nintendo won’t release another echoes before FE16, it they ever make any more

FE16 will be the first one to touch the switch

Edited by IEatLasers

Well, the first Echoes trailer was released just a little less than 4 months before releasing, so I'm not that worried. I'm sure they just wanna make sure everything is going right before dropping anything big for the game. 

Edited by Ragnellius

I feel that when we get another remake it is going to be Blazing Blade since that is what some of the developers said they were interested in remaking. We might get Blinding Blade first though just because it is the prequel.

Although Genealogy is a favorite among the Japanese, it also contains a bunch of content that would need to be looked over and fixed. The story itself can cause controversy, but I think it would be best left alone as no matter what they do I can see there being backlash from people. The main problem is going to be the gameplay. I haven't played it but some parts of it really sound annoying, and I can see sales dipping if they keep too much of it like with Echoes. Then again I think IS and Nintendo are going to have low sales expectations for all of these remakes so they might just not care.

We are definitely going to get one after the Switch release. I think they saw how well it worked out for them with Fates and then Echoes so they might make it a regular thing, or maybe have 2 new games and then a remake.

8 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

The main problem is going to be the gameplay. I haven't played it but some parts of it really sound annoying, and I can see sales dipping if they keep too much of it like with Echoes. Then again I think IS and Nintendo are going to have low sales expectations for all of these remakes so they might just not care.

It's worth noting that FE4 is like, the second(IIRC?) best selling FE prior to Awakening. As much as I do agree that changes to be made, the original wasn't nearly as offputting as FE2 was when it came out. Who knows how a strict remake like SoV would pan out.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

It's worth noting that FE4 is like, the second(IIRC?) best selling FE prior to Awakening. As much as I do agree that changes to be made, the original wasn't nearly as offputting as FE2 was when it came out. Who knows how a strict remake like SoV would pan out.

I know it is one of Japan's favorites, but I'm not sure that number is correct. It is actually pretty low on the list based on lifetime sales. It only sold second best to Mystery of the Emblem if you only include the Japanese games that were never released internationally. However, if you include the internationally releases it is only the sixth highest barring Awakening and the others after it. That is still very high and the game has quite the cult following even amongst Western fans but I doubt it will do any big numbers. I think FE4's gameplay actually has some of the same problems as FE2. Some parts of it are pretty experimental like the trading system being annoying, and the large maps making it difficult for anybody not on a horse to keep up. The story will probably still make it the second highest selling remake regardless of them keeping it the same or not, but I feel like it would sell more with some gameplay changes. Again though I doubt IS would care. All the remakes are just going to be quick projects they work on in between main series development so we probably shouldn't expect much.

18 hours ago, thanny said:

However! I speculate that we might be getting a Fire Emblem Direct maybe in a few weeks.

Here’s why:

1. Remember the random announcement of Thracia 776 characters being added to Heroes in April a whopping month ahead in advance? This could be just me reading a bit too deep into this, or it could be Nintendo announcing an Echoes: Thracia remake alongside with the new Fire Emblem game and maybe releasing it before the new game to make up for the delay in info/release, perhaps the two games could even be linked together in some way.

While a Thracia remake would be awesome, I just don't see it coming before FE4. They could tie in Leif and co with announcing an FE4 remake since they also appear in that game, buuut I dunno. It doesn't seem like it's time.

Actually, I'm afraid they could surprise everyone with an FE6 3DS remake. I would absolutely buy it, but I dread the thought of having to boot up my 3DS again. It's so hard to go back to it after Switch. Another possibility is announcing Tellius HD collection.

The rest of your points suggesting an FE Direct make sense though. I'm going to be cautiously optimistic for this possibility. Even without a remake they could have enough material for one.