How do you think the FE Three Houses protagonist will be handled in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate roster?

King Marth 64

Thoughts about how the Fire Emblem: Three Houses protagonist will be showing up to upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the upcoming Fire Emblem: Three Houses protagonist will might show up in the roster for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

• I think he/she will might make it as a default fighter for the roster.
    • I think he/she will might appear as an Unlockable Fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate similar to like how Roy was added to Super Smash Bros. Melee as an Unlockable Fighter.
    • I think he'll/she'll might appear as a DLC Fighter for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate similar to like how Corrin was added to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U as a DLC fighter since his/her game was released after the Nintendo 3DS / Wii U version happened.
    • Hard to say

Since the latest Nintendo Direct shown that there is an upcoming Super Smash Bros. title happened today and the game will be coming to the Nintendo Switch system on 2018. But, we haven't seen any footages nor any characters revealed for the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title and they haven't shown the Fire Emblem Switch title in today's Direct. I'm guessing that we could see Alm (he does use a bow since he does use a bow in his Hero class on Gaiden and Echoes: Shadows of Valentia and it would avoid use the Plain Swordsman category since what happened to Chrom when he was going to be planned during at Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U) or probably add Celica since Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia was released last year and Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did managed to sold well outside of Japan and it did managed to outsold Pokemon Sun and Moon's numbers since May as one of the Top 10 Best Selling Nintendo 3DS games. However, since the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title is coming to the same year as the upcoming Super Smash Bros. title, but we have no idea which games is going to be coming out first. I totally think the Fire Emblem Switch protagonist is probably going to be showing up either as an Unlockable Newcomer similar to like Roy in Super Smash Bros. Melee since Roy's game The Binding Blade did released after Super Smash Bros. Melee or he/she will might show up as a DLC Newcomer similar to like Corrin since Fire Emblem Fates did released after Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U. I don't think it would make any sense and we don't exactly know if he/she will show up as a default fighter since his/her game is going to be coming this year if the Fire Emblem Switch title as well as the Super Smash Bros. Switch title and we still don't have a single release date confirmed other than confirmed 2018 for both of these titles. I know that Sakurai did add Roy and Corrin to the roster as Unlockable, DLC, vice versa since Sakurai did said he's a big fan of the Fire Emblem series and I totally think we could see the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch protagonist being appearing for the upcoming Super Smash Bros. Switch title sometime during at the development.

What do you guys think how will the protagonist of the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title will show up for the upcoming Nintendo Switch title of Super Smash Bros.? I'm pretty sure we could see some or a few Nintendo related characters (like any ARMS characters, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, etc.) who debut from the Nintendo Switch games that were released around 2017 through early or mid 2018 will might show up for upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch either as default, unlockable, or even DLC newcomers.

Edit: The E3 Presentation and the latest Nintendo Direct confirms the new title for both games revealed to be as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate for December 9, 2018 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses is now set to Spring 2019 instead of 2018.

Edited by King Marth 64

1 minute ago, Thane said:

If both games come out in 2018, I can see them using it as cross promotion, like with Roy back in the day. The timing for it is pretty good.

I was gonna say almost exactly that, it seems 100% intentional to me. Smash is the primary reason FE has so much presence these days, so it would make sense that they intend to release Smash like a month or two before FE. With Smash, FE, Metroid Prime 4, and Pokemon, that's 4 major games slated for this year that we've gotten no real information about. If it coincides with their September release of the subscribed online service, I'd wager we'd see Smash in Sept as well, and the other 3 released each month thereafter (with 2 months between FE and Pokemon since they likely have overlap in their player base).

I'm fine with them adding characters, even brand new ones that we know nothing about, but I don't want to see any characters cut.

2 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did managed to sold well outside of Japan and it did managed to outsold Pokemon Sun and Moon's numbers since May as one of the Top 10 Best Selling Nintendo 3DS games.

Really? I thought Echoes sale didn't met IS's sale expectation? Did Sun & Moon sold badly?

13 minutes ago, Zangetsu said:

Really? I thought Echoes sale didn't met IS's sale expectation? Did Sun & Moon sold badly?

It did mentioned in the sales list that was marked around in May 2017 when it was posted around in June 2017. Pokemon Sun and Moon did not sold it badly, I did said as in Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia did managed to become Top of the Best Selling Nintendo 3DS game List around in May 2017. I'm pretty sure adding Alm or Celica would most likely get added in first as the newcomers for the Fire Emblem franchise in the Switch version of Super Smash Bros. before the Fire Emblem Switch protagonist comes in to the roster due to a surprising successful marketing. https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/19/may-2017-npd-injustice-2-comes-out-on-top-as-nintendo-games-keep-selling/

Edited by King Marth 64

It's worth noting that Greninja was in Smash before the public even knew of X/Y. Sakurai designed him having only concept art to go off of. I think it's fair to say that, even though we don't have any details on FE16, we will be seeing the protagonist somewhere in Smash.

Baring clones/DLC every character in Brawl and Wii U/3DS was decided on at the beginning of development. We don't know when development on this game started, but it was probably too early for the FE16 protagonist to be considered, assuming they're unique enough to warrant being added in the first place. For reference, Robin only got in because Awakening was released in Japan the same time as Sakurai was coming up with Wii U/3DS's roster. If anything I think they have a chance of being DLC if they're unique enough from everyone else (assuming that there is DLC).

9 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I think they'll be in the game... as DLC

Wait, are you referring just the protagonist (like whether it be "He" or "She" depending on the Gender who the protagonist will be showed up as in the announcment); not talking about adding more playable characters from the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title since you did said "They'll"?

Edited by King Marth 64

18 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Wait, are you referring just the protagonist (like whether it be "He" or "She" depending on the Gender who the protagonist will be showed up as in the announcment); not talking about adding more playable characters from the upcoming Fire Emblem Switch title since you did said "They'll"?

I used they as a neutral term for the protagonist since their sex/gender is unknown as of now.

But I wouldn't be surprised if there is more than 1 DLC FE character. If another character is popular enough and is a main character, it may not be out of the question for there to be a plural they.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, this is mostly relevant to this topic about Fire Emblem Switch protagonist and the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch that I wanted to point out on what I just found out today. I managed to went to GameStop today and I did managed to asked if either the upcoming Fire Emblem title for the Nintendo Switch system and Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Switch title was up for preorder. The two employees at GameStop did told me when they looked at their system in the preorder list for one of those two games that I asked if they're available for pre-orders, they said they only saw the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch did showed up in their system was available for pre-orders at GameStop but they did not seen any signs of the next Fire Emblem game for the Nintendo Switch showed up for pre-orders as of right now since we did the Fire Emblem Direct did showed the info about the upcoming Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch title when it was first announced around February 2017 and we did saw the March 8th, 2018 Nintendo Direct did showed the Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Switch title was announced around March 8th. This is definitely looks like the Fire Emblem Switch protagonist will possibly show up as a DLC Fighter or Unlockable Fighter for the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch title instead of a Default Fighter for the roster.

Edited by King Marth 64

22 hours ago, King Marth 64 said:

Ok, this is mostly relevant to this topic about Fire Emblem Switch protagonist and the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch that I wanted to point out on what I just found out today. I managed to went to GameStop today and I did managed to asked if either the upcoming Fire Emblem title for the Nintendo Switch system and Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Switch title was up for preorder. The two employees at GameStop did told me when they looked at their system in the preorder list for one of those two games that I asked if they're available for pre-orders, they said they only saw the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch did showed up in their system was available for pre-orders at GameStop but they did not seen any signs of the next Fire Emblem game for the Nintendo Switch showed up for pre-orders as of right now since we did the Fire Emblem Direct did showed the info about the upcoming Fire Emblem for Nintendo Switch title when it was first announced around February 2017 and we did saw the March 8th, 2018 Nintendo Direct did showed the Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Switch title was announced around March 8th. This is definitely looks like the Fire Emblem Switch protagonist will possibly show up as a DLC Fighter or Unlockable Fighter for the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch title instead of a Default Fighter for the roster.

Game pre-orders mean nothing in this kind of scenario. 

Just because a game is up for pre-order before another, doesn't mean that the one that you can pre-order first will come out first. 

Duke Nukem Forever was available for pre-order... 11 years before it released? Prey was like 8 years before it released. FFXV was up for pre-order like, 7 or 8. Kingdom Hearts 3 was pre-orderable a solid 3-4 years before it was ever even properly revealed

Obviously these are extreme cases where games were announced 10+ years before release, but going off of pre-order availabilty to determine this kind of stuff is silly. 

FE Switch and SB5 likely started production around the same time(With both games apparently starting development around the time that the last main games in either franchise was released). I don't think it's a stretch to think that Sakurai or somebody in the Smash team has communicated with IS about plans for this at some point during these similar development schedules. 

It's not like Fates, where it was like a year and a half development time compared to the 5 years for Smash U. 

We won't get a character from FE Switch on the base roster. The roster was likely decided in 2016, shortly after the completion of the DLC for Smash 4. Shadows of Valentia would be the current in-development title during this Smash's development, NOT the FE Switch protagonist. The token "most recent FE lord" in Smash would have to be Alm and/or Celica. We know, though, that Sakurai doesn't really like cuts and has mentioned already that there's too many Fire Emblem characters on the roster. I expect to see Corrin staying as the most recent FE main character in Smash (hopefully defaulting this time to female). I wouldn't be surprised to see Celica as what Lucina was originally intended to be, a Marth costume, though I'll admit Celica being a Marth clone in Warriors gives me that bias. There will likely be cuts, but who is totally up in the air.

That said... Nintendo is really on the DLC train right now though, and anything that's current is a great cross promotion for DLC. I fully expect a more extended post-release content season (with or without a season pass, idk) than we got for the previous game, given how successful the last set was, especially for a Wii U game, when the Switch is doing so much better. The FE Switch protagonist as DLC is by far the likeliest option for that game.

Edited by dmurr

On 5/4/2018 at 10:13 AM, dmurr said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Celica as what Lucina was originally intended to be, a Marth costume, though I'll admit Celica being a Marth clone in Warriors gives me that bias.

I've seen people saying she could be a Robin clone with a self harming mechanic instead of weapons breaking. It could work with a "light" variant of Nosferatu and maybe switching her neutral special to Fire and Ragnarok and the side special to Aura instead of Robin's Thunder/Thoron and Elfire. Of course if Celica is in I'd rather she not be a clone but hey this could be fun too.

On 4/6/2018 at 9:07 PM, Book Bro said:

I've seen people saying she could be a Robin clone with a self harming mechanic instead of weapons breaking. It could work with a "light" variant of Nosferatu and maybe switching her neutral special to Fire and Ragnarok and the side special to Aura instead of Robin's Thunder/Thoron and Elfire. Of course if Celica is in I'd rather she not be a clone but hey this could be fun too.

I'd only be okay with this if she was much better. I've always found Robin to be such a drag to play in Smash, not the most fun moveset.

• 1 month later...

Since everyone and their mother seems to think the FE Switch lord is the most likely FE newcomer candidate, having thought about it, I have to say I don't think the FE Switch lord will be in the base game. I'll draw some comparisons to explain why.

First, Roy. Yeah, Roy was in Melee before Binding Blade released. But he was a clone of Marth. The FE Switch lord is quite unlikely to be a clone of an existing character. Roy arguably only got in because Melee was also Marth's introduction, so they weren't introducing a brand new character as a clone of a previous one.

Second, Corrin. Yeah, Corrin was unique, but was also DLC. This means Sakurai worked on them when he was only working on new fighters, Mii costumes, stages, and other small stuff, not building an entire new game. Plus, Fates/IF came out in Japan a good 8 months (don't remember the exact amount of time) before their release in Smash, whereas FE16 is likely to be released after Smash 5.

We've never gotten a fully unique character from a game that didn't even exist yet. DLC perhaps, but not in the base game.

Ok, we managed to get some new news that showed up from E3 presentation and today's Nintendo Direct that happened today. I managed to updated the topic and the poll since we do have a confirmed name for the Switch title of Super Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem called as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and Fire Emblem: Three Houses. Plus, we do have confirmed dates for both of them are December 9, 2018 and Fire Emblem: Three Houses is now set to Spring 2019 instead of 2018.

And speaking of the protagonist. I'm really guessing that we could see one of the protagonists from Fire Emblem: Three Houses as a DLC  since the game is going to be after Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. And I'm pretty sure that I think the protagonist for Fire Emblem: Three Houses could be Byleth.

I think DLC is the only option at this point since Three Houses is releasing months after Smash.

Mmmm, since we have three core lords and I think a my unit/avatar, it's a toss-up between the avatar or one of the lords. Corrin served as a cross promotion for Fates.

That said, I kinda hope it's Edelgard, just for being a female and, more importantly, being an axe weilder. She was given the center in today's trailer, too.

Like Altrosa said above me I don't think we will see anything from Three Houses referenced in Smash outside of potential DLC. I believe most of the new FE content for Smash such as trophies/stages/songs/etc. will be pulled from Fates and Echoes/Shadow of Valentia.

Though if we do get DLC and a choice for a Three House character rep for Smash I would like it to be either Edelgard or Dimitri for an axe or lance moveset.