[FE8] Self-Randomizing Rom v1.3

circleseverywhere

Link to UPS Patch (FE8U)

What's self-randomizing?

This is a rom that randomizes itself - meaning that no two playthroughs will be alike!

Features

Options screen on New Game start

unknown.png

Tactician name as randomizer seed

image.png.0c4063ed770cc9a5dc6f0773f11694af.png

Random classes for players and enemies

image.png.c1a5a847dfaf12bb7c1209f037b11894.png

Random growths and bases

image.png.b523affb0ea0b955c71c8064c19626a1.png

Random personal skills

image.png.f15976240edf7eb9c293cd9eeacd2eda.png

Random weapon stats

image.png.5b97ec6a04cc6272e5889298ef2528a2.png

Random chest and event items

image.png.719c1d054d061b7e6ec0e5cc0d5e58b5.png

Palettes that might be janky because that's part of the charm

image.png.13155c5849f5c45930161e5b9c93294b.png

v1.3 changelog:

Additions

- Random Class Skills option: Shuffles all learned skills per class! (innate skills e.g. Canto/Shove not shuffled)
    - Skill Scrolls (learn a random skill) added to drop list and prep screen shop
    - Amnesia Scrolls (forget a learned skill) also added
    - Thracia Mode! Put "776" somewhere in your seed to give everyone Capture, set Hit to 1RN and between 1-99!

Tweaks

- Stats no longer overflow/underflow (e.g. demon king HP)
    - Dancers and Bards animations don't crash if they double
    - Flashy mode now works in vanilla! (all boss kill attacks show the critical animation)
    - All items can be sold or discarded
    - Debuffs now clear properly between chapters
    - Scripted battles end correctly when one character dies
    - Nosferatu and Devil Axe fixed in Vanilla Mode

Skills

- Skills learned per class redistributed to reflect the new skills available
    - Wary fighter removed from dancers/bards since it doesn't crash any more
    - When forgetting a skill, you can press R to see the skill description
    - Fixed various Capture glitches

------

Other useful things:
    - Press Select at the stats menu to view stats/growths
    - You can buy a lot of useful things at the prep screen armory
    - Hold L to toggle battle animations on/off
    - Hold A to speed up battle animations (and B to pause them)
    - Press Select to view Danger Zone
    - You can shove/drop/etc onto most terrain, useful if you're stuck
    - Use the Konami code if you're really stuck
    - If you plant the right seed you may find it sprouts into a secret game mode
    - Press R on the Donate to Circles screen to find out how to donate

Known Issues
- Trying to back out of the unit menu after doing a Talk/Support can show the conversation again

image.png

image.png

Edited by circleseverywhere

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooooh, will definitely have to check it out, especially since you added your skill system to the randomization. Will report any bugs I find.

Are there any classes that are not in the randomization table out of curiosity? Aside from the demon king of course.

So does this randomize each rom at the point of the patch, or how does it go about it? Asking out of curiosity.

It also means I can actually play a randomised rom for once, the randomiser still didn't get a linux version.

I removed manaketes/dracozombies/necromancer from randomization because lol, T0 trainees now become random T1s to avoid promo weirdness, and thieves remain thieves because yeah.

Classes, inventories, bases are randomized upon unit loading. Growths and personal skills are randomized at the start of each new game.

1 hour ago, circleseverywhere said:

I removed manaketes/dracozombies/necromancer from randomization because lol, T0 trainees now become random T1s to avoid promo weirdness, and thieves remain thieves because yeah.

Classes, inventories, bases are randomized upon unit loading. Growths and personal skills are randomized at the start of each new game.

So it'll randomise each time? Bravo, I am impressed.

Shame that Colm can't, but I understand why, trying to ensure that a thief shows up by then would be too awkward.

That's a shame about dracozombies, but it's understandable. They are the strongest units in the game after all. That and I've never seen their animation show up properly on the player side anyway, though from screenshots I imagine their palettes would look pretty interesting.

Necromancer also makes sense, but I could see manaketes working if there was a way to guarantee you couldn't get more than one per run in the randomizer, but I honestly have no idea how you do what you do.

Glad we don't have to worry about funky trainee bananas though.

Edited by Cryse

Spent a few hours with V0.6. Pretty fun, but has its issues. I'll address them in the order that I encountered them. Played on hard in case it's relevant.

-On the first map, one of the enemy grunts spawned as a shaman with no spd stat. Wasn't an issue, but may point to something that could be a bigger issue, so thought I'd mention it.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-0.png

-On Ross' chapter, having the enemies in the mountains randomized can cause some issues when trying to clear the chapter if you don't have any flying units or units with pass, or have units with the right amount of con/aid to be able to rescue chain deep enough into the mountains. Luckily my Seth was a Rogue with pass, so I had no issues there. Rogue Seth palette is awesome btw.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-1.png

-This one may be intentional, but if a unit has 2 rally skills as is shown with my Vanessa, they both proc with one command, leading to some pretty crazy stat boosts. +6 to str/mag and +2 to everything else is no joke, especially early on.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-2.png

-Not all monster weapons show their stats, fiery fang at least displays nothing. More of a minor annoyance than anything.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-3.png

-Orson randomized into a summoner, and though he had the summon skill there was no command to use it. If I remember correctly from some post a long time ago, I believe this is because there is no phantom assigned to the character? Could be talking out of my ass.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-4.png
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-5.png

I left off early on in chapter 5x, but I think I'll have great difficulty with it seeing as how enemy keys were overwritten, and my characers came with no methods of healing, as well as there being no method of healing attainable from enemies.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-6.png
FE8 Auto Rand 0-6-7.png

Moving on to more general notes, it's nice to see that you've added in some classes from the other gba titles, and some class gender alts. Finally having randomized palettes in FE8 is really great even when it turns funky. 

Adding monster weapons to some shops would be nice but not necessarily needed, disregard this if they already appear in later shops I have not made it to. 

Support conversations (at least during chapters) lead to skill text, but I imagine this is because you used their space on the ROM in order to achieve your randomization, so it's no big deal. I doubt many people are playing a randomizer to focus on the supports after all. 

Having so many different enemies makes the chapter feel really fresh even if you're familiar with it, so that's nice. Randomized chests/houses might be nice if it's something you can do, but it's not like it's a huge deal if it can't be done or you'd like to spend your focus elsewhere.

Looking forward to continuing on in my file or re-randomizing if needed once the patch is updated a bit. Once some kinks are worked out, I imagine this will likely be the go-to for randomized runs of FE8.

Edited by Cryse

For those of us who are idiots that enjoy being screwed over by a lack of thieves, and/or an abundance of enemy thieves, would you consider releasing an alternative patch that throws them back into the pool?

Tons of fun with this so far. Very minor bug, if you stay on the village in chapter 6 after visiting, you can repeatedly visit every turn. Haven't noticed this with any other villages, I guess you could get an infinite supply of antidotes if you wanted?

Seeing as 0.9 was released, I may as well post any issues I ran into on 0.8 before moving on.

Starting a new file on v0.8, I made it to chapter 8.

- Somewhat minor, but warding blow granting +20 res seems a little excessive.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-8-2.png

- A few dummy skills seem to still be floating around in the randomization pools, such as Nice Personality.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-8-4.png

- Unfortunately in chapter 5x I once again started with no healing items and there were no enemies that dropped any, but luckily I managed to get through it with Ephriam being a mage with Breath of Life, and Orson being a Wyvern Lord with Rally Spectrum.

- Moulder randomized into a dancer, but as I leveled them up they seemed to have missed out on the Amaterasu skill that enemy dancers and my bard!joshua have.

FE8 Auto Rand 0-8-7.pngFE8 Auto Rand 0-8-8.pngFE8 Auto Rand 0-8-9.png

- In Victims of War, it's very possible for the enemies near the villagers to spawn as ranged units and start taking them out on the first turn, making it impossible to acquire the Orion's bolt they would give. Not a huge issue on its own, but seeing as how the promotion items bosses drop disappear in randomization, the player needs every promotion item they can get. Though perhaps having cheaper master seals available for purchase in 0.9 will make up for this.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-8-10.png

- I like randomizing enemies as groups rather than individually in the new update, however it can trivialize some chapters seeing as how dancers/bards/clerics etc are in the randomization pool. It can also make for very interesting chapters though, having a  bunch of wyverns coming out of the fog from across the map was pretty scary, especially when one has a horseslayer. 

FE8 Auto Rand 0-8-11.pngFE8 Auto Rand 0-8-12.png

Also it may be worth looking into the idea of making it so bosses always drop something.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-8-13.png

- Having encountered more kinds of monster units in this run, the only monster weapons with visible stats so far have been the "Eye" weapons. However this being a relatively minor issue and one I'm sure you're aware of at this point, I'll refrain from mentioning it again in the future.

Making shove a common skill has worked out well, and seeing as how my Vanessa retained their class as a Pegasus Knight, it seems likely that this is a change you made to combat there being enemies in the mountains in chapter 2, that or I just got really lucky. Either way it's not ideal, but keeping Vanessa as a Pegasus Knight is a decent workaround.

---EDIT---

Tried 0.9 for a bit, and it seems there are still some dummy skills.
FE8 Auto Rand 0-9-0.png

Also to my earlier mention of warding blow granting 20 res seeming a bit excessive, some other skills are pretty strong as well, like Rightful God or Dazzle. What do you think about randomizing what skills classes learn as well? For example, it could randomize to cavaliers learning Luna at level 15, so enemy cavaliers lvl15 and up would also have the skill. I think it could balance things a little as well as make things more interesting. Every wyvern rider has swordbreaker? Well when you see one you know you really have to make sure you get your sword units out of there, or Great Knights became the bane of your playthrough, because they have both Aether AND Rightful God, etc.

If you do decide to go that route however, the amount of skills that monster units learn might need to be upped to the amount regular units learn, or perhaps you could give them a separate pool of exclusive skills, otherwise they could easily become outclassed.

Edited by Cryse
Formatting

They are, but the secret shop also sold high-tier weaponry as well if I remember correctly. Maybe the patch adds them to later shops instead though, I've yet to make it past the route split in my testing so far.

Enemy dancers, no big deal. They have Shadowshot whatttttt?

Loving the new release. You do good work.

EDIT: Oh my god, despoil randomizes your red gem if you have items set to all, got a body ring off of it!

Edited by Cornguy

Abusing the villages so hard that I got SO MANY good items when I randomize all :):. After that I got destroyed in chapter 4 cause of so many thieves. All the money wasted already, pretty sad but happy I'm playing this randomizer. :D:

Edited by Blackwing912