[FE8] Self-Randomizing Rom v1.3

circleseverywhere

I found this today while I was perusing RHDN's recent hacks, and this one has been so much fun! Natasha as a Tarvos is absolutely my aesthetic. I also got Eirika as a Troubadour which not only makes the early chapters more interesting, but gives her what may be the cutest sprite/palette combo in the GBA games. Look at this! It's too precious. You've done some seriously incredible work here, and I'm super glad to have some new life breathed into the game. One bug that I'm...hesitant to point out because it's one from vanilla that I've always liked but Evil Eye can be taken off of the Mogalls and given to other units to use. I gave it to Troubadour Eirika to help level her and give her some combat prowess early in the game, but it's definitely still a bug.

Edit: Are Tarvos's considered to be advanced units? If not, what would be the odds of giving them a promotion in a future version? I'm bummed that they're going to drop off and be useless later in the game.

Thanks very much for working on this and releasing it!

32378528_10214006733614684_226776266093625344_n.png?_nc_cat=0&oh=8bfd55b902f1836f428a7c53b183eb35&oe=5B9906E9

Edited by Ark the Pie King

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is by far my favorite randomizer to date. Just a couple pointless suggestions I want to make:

First, add a palette to Eirika and Ephraim. As it is, when they're randomized, they just end up with the default non-paletted version of their classes, which IMO is quite boring, especially when we have neon-green priests healing around. 

Second, add branching promotion to soldiers. They could promote into paladin or wyvern lord, making them not be completely useless as an unit. Having them promote to trainee 3 is quite boring, to be honest. :/

Thank you for your hard work <3

There should be more options like the regular randomizers have. I think monster classes are boring and skills are annoying, and I would like to have an option to remove them like I could in the regular randomizer. Playing this would be a lot more fun for me if there were more set to to tune the game to be optimal. I'm surprised nobody else suggested adding more settings. It would make the game more exciting and not irritating or boring for the people who want a different style. I know it's supposed to be a randomizer, but there should be more settings for the people who want to choose what to randomize. I think that this has a lot of potential and I would like to play it, but I can't stand the lack of choices.

So I downloaded this, was having fun for a little while, but then Chapter 5 happened. A bunch of mages spawning when none of my units have no res whatsoever is not your fault, that's part of the randomizer, even the 14 might Bolting tome this early in the game when no one is supposed to have a Bolting tome isn't your fault...kinda, but...are enemies supposed to change their classes, stats, and weapons each time you restart the same chapter? Because if so, that's...kinda dumb. I had to replay Chapter 5 like 6 times on Normal difficulty because the enemies kept changing too much for me to plan around the things that kept having to make me restart, plus the enemy mages kept changing their stats and the Eye Monsters kept increasing in power and number and swarming me before I could do anything about it, it just wasn't a fun time, and then I had to power through progressively stronger mages and hope no one died so that I could get the villages in time, which I eventually managed to do, but the chapter stopped being fun ages ago at that point. Then Chapter 6 came along, enemy phase of turn one begins, enemy Shaman and Wyvern Rider go and kill two of the green units. Is that supposed to happen? Because I don't remember any of the enemies even remotely trying to kill the green units before besides the spiders, but that was the point of the spiders. Anyways, I hope its not supposed to happen, because no matter how much I try restarting the chapter to try and despawn those enemies, the Shaman always spawns and will kill all of them by turn 3, and there's nothing I can do about it, I can't even send someone out to try and kill the Shaman because then they get overwhelmed by the stupidly strong enemies for Normal Mode in the fog. Sheesh, look at me, no one's going to take this message seriously after all that. Anyways, the point is, these things are taking all the fun out of this, I wasn't sure if they were intentional or not, just decided to bring them up just in case. Alright, guess that's it, definitely could've worded this message better

Screenshot_2018-05-18-21-12-30.png

Screenshot_2018-05-18-21-20-45.png

Screenshot_2018-05-19-05-49-39.png

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to say, love this patch so far. However, I did run into an issue on Chapter 11. At the fight between Glen and Valter, Valter was randomized into an Entombed who did zero damage, but won the scripted fight anyway with a crit, against a General Glen. After this, the cutscene appeared to continue as normal, but after Valter says something along the lines of "Go, the small fish are yours." and the other soldiers run into the mountains, Valter's sprite turned into a glitchy rectangle, crashing the game and wiping my save file. It didn't crash immediately; I think Valter glitched out once the text box was closed, and the game crashed right as the archer soldiers entered the mountain tiles.

So, just a little question: When I play randomizers, I usually always play with randomized recruitment, makes it more fun imo. Now, I can't test this rn, that's why I'm asking, but is it possible that I can randomize recruitment with the Universal GBA Randomizer, then apply the patch and just randomize away? Or should I apply the the patch beforehand? Or is it just impossible?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just reporting a bug I ran into on the Ghost ship chapter and the one after, Ephraim route, where enemy units would move onto a tile occupied by my troops. I had animations turned on, the enemy would move onto same tile as one of my guys, battle animation would begin, then the game stalls there. It only happened to me while on a ship, and I got through by turning off animations, enemies would still walk onto same tile but battle would not occur, and I could attack the unit as normal with someone else, this freed my unit who got stood on. So maybe something to do with ship tiles. Anyway great mod cheers :O

• 1 month later...

This is cool! lol I keep replaying it to see what different units I'll end up with for each playthrough. My first run, i completed the entire game without magic or staff users and no fliers, i was convinced i had bad luck, but still had no trouble. My second run on normal was also no trouble at all, the same as my first run except i got a mage yay lol. Thankfully the 3rd run is the magic run with Erika as a Dancer and Seth as a Wyvern knight = awesome.

Didn't notice any bugs on my first few runs other than some skills still not working properly, But I saw a comment where you mentioned fixing them later. There was a game crashing bug with Garcia as a priest, while he was still green he tried to use recover staff on my Erika, and it crashed the game. works fine after I've talked to him, but while green he appears to be broken. Funnily enough the drops from events and chests are better when random than fixed. Loved that i could literally farm the tower for elixer and shamshir. 

Really loved this though, i used characters i never used before. Thanks for this. :) Have yet to see a mymridon or troubadour though.... 

Edited by Thorgrun

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2018 at 7:30 PM, FireKaliber said:

I just downloaded this and I love it. However I can't figure out how to show the new growths after they've been randomized in the game. Is there any option to check or something to get that to show up?

Press select on your character's stat screen.  They do also have to be playable characters for you to check (so you can't check Joshua's growths until he actually joins, for example).

With regard to the weird AI on ship levels (where enemy units will move onto spaces occupied by your units or try to attack you from outside their attack range), I suspect it is caused by the mast tiles being incorrectly set to 0 movement cost.  I noticed that by moving over them I could move my units outside the displayed movement range, and I think when the enemies move over them it confuses the game about where they are supposed to end up.  Unfortunately I only thought of it after I was past levels with mast tiles, so I couldn't test editing them in nightmare to see if it fixes the issue, but I think that's what's going on.

Other than that little issue, I'm really enjoying this hack.

V1.2 is out!

v1.2 changelog:

Randomizer Options

- Vanilla Mode (default FE8 skills only) - Don't randomize generics - Random map music changes every phase and battle music is random too - FE7 spinny circle added

Tweaks

- HP and weapon hit are randomized with 1.5RN to be less extreme - Eirika and Ephraim now have wonky palettes like everyone else - Support text is fixed - Bards have an animation now - Tactician name is displayed at the world map (replacing the lord's name) - Lunar/Solar Brace can be sold like other promo items - Many many bug fixes

Skills

- Skill system updated to the latest version: - Fixed old skills and introducing 36 new skills

Other useful things:

- Press Select at the stats menu to view stats/growths - You can buy a lot of useful things at the prep screen armory - Hold L to toggle battle animations on/off - Hold A to speed up battle animations - You can shove/drop/etc onto most terrain, useful if you're stuck - Use the Konami code if you're really stuck - If you plant the right seed you may find it sprouts into a secret game mode - Press R on the Donate to Circles screen to find out how to donate

v1.3 is here!

Yes it's soon after v1.2 but there's actually quite a few new things added:

Additions

- Random Class Skills option: Shuffles all learned skills per class! (innate skills e.g. Canto/Shove not shuffled)
    - Skill Scrolls (learn a random skill) added to drop list and prep screen shop
    - Amnesia Scrolls (forget a learned skill) also added
    - Thracia Mode! Put "776" somewhere in your seed to give everyone Capture, set Hit to 1RN and between 1-99!

Tweaks

- Stats no longer overflow/underflow (e.g. demon king HP)
    - Dancers and Bards animations don't crash if they double
    - Flashy mode now works in vanilla! (all boss kill attacks show the critical animation)
    - All items can be sold or discarded
    - Debuffs now clear properly between chapters
    - Scripted battles end correctly when one character dies
    - Nosferatu and Devil Axe fixed in Vanilla Mode

Skills

- Skills learned per class redistributed to reflect the new skills available
    - Wary fighter removed from dancers/bards since it doesn't crash any more
    - When forgetting a skill, you can press R to see the skill description
    - Fixed various Capture glitches

On 2/14/2019 at 9:43 AM, circleseverywhere said:

Additions

- Random Class Skills option: Shuffles all learned skills per class! (innate skills e.g. Canto/Shove not shuffled)
    - Skill Scrolls (learn a random skill) added to drop list and prep screen shop
    - Amnesia Scrolls (forget a learned skill) also added
    - Thracia Mode! Put "776" somewhere in your seed to give everyone Capture, set Hit to 1RN and between 1-99!

Well great, that's another person who's worked on FE GBA who does the most awe inspiring work I've ever seen. I'm very excited to try these out!