[FE8] Self-Randomizing Rom v1.3

circleseverywhere

Just now, circleseverywhere said:

I've thought about adding a 2RN-style randomization so that extreme values are less likely, but maybe that's just reducing the fun - if you wanted less variation you could just choose to have less variation.

Alright, thanks! Appreciate the replies and work, circles! Gonna keep myself posted for updates.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/25/2018 at 4:16 AM, Auroros said:

Okay, started Another Run today... And Skirmishes don't work at all in V 1.1

They instead replay the original chapter. I assume this is a debug feature you forgot to take out?

Also, you cannot run from Valni Tower Battles, but I assume this is tied to the bug mentioned above.

Experiencing exactly the same issues. Is the Valni no-retreat a bug or a feature?

Nice work, man! This is the first SF thread in a long time where I've actually been excited enough about it to actually log in and post. Heard about you through a YouTube video of an earlier version of the patch, and as soon as I had access to a computer I started setting it up to play myself. The verdict? You need to stop. This is obviously just a ploy to kill all my remaining free time... and it's working. I feel obligated to point out that that was a joke because I'm horrible at jokes. I've been messing around with different settings in the config menu, too; so far I think you've nailed the customization of the ingame setup screen. And while I also enjoyed the original game without it and you by no means were required to add it, I'm glad I can play casual mode, if only because sometimes my randomized units start out with sucky defenses and I'm of the type that doesn't want to permanently lose anyone.

One thing that I'd like to see added, though, is the option to turn off the characters' unique palettes in setup, if that's possible. It's not a deal-breaker by any stretch; I found several of my characters to be amusing (I specifically remember a Cleric with neon outlines and mostly black fill that I nicknamed "Vegas") but sometimes I just find them to be irredeemably ugly. Some people like that, especially since this isn't meant to be taken seriously aesthetically, so it'd probably have to be another thing on the options menu, and thus I can understand if you don't want to add it. (In the same vein, perhaps also an option for genderlocking which version of the class the characters randomize into?)

One last thing: In testing, I started two new files with identical options and seed. The classes and stats were the same in the Prologue, but the item the Rapier changed into was inconsistent, and I'm pretty sure that's not exclusive to that particular item. In the event that multiple people wanted to do playthroughs of the same randomization, this might be a bit of an issue. Wow, I'd better stop writing. Do I always write in such huge amounts of text?

I found a very odd bug on chapter 11 Ephraim route, the pirate ship map.

For some bizarre reason, occasionally enemies will attempt to engage at ranged combat, and if animations are ON, the game softlocks, requiring a reset or savestate. If animations are OFF, the combat goes through... somehow... and continues on its merry way.

The units in question have been a brigand and a female myrmidon, both with iron weapons. Potentially caused because the unit being attacked was poisoned.

In any case, otherwise I'm having fun and thanks for doing the mod ^^

39 minutes ago, Raagentreg said:

For some bizarre reason, occasionally enemies will attempt to engage at ranged combat, and if animations are ON, the game softlocks, requiring a reset or savestate. If animations are OFF, the combat goes through... somehow... and continues on its merry way.

Don't worry if that happens. Reset the game and hold L when resuming the chapter. This will disable the animation for that enemy and the game will run without incident. The game plays funny with ranged axe animations, so if a basic axe is 1-2, you might need to hold L against a lot of enemies.

got a new bug for you. this ones a game breaker. i'm not sure if its just green unit ross as a staff user that does this but... after about ten minutes I knew it was a lost cause. Erika was at full HP and ross just decided to heal her as a green unit the result is an infinite heal.

Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 5.21.30 PM.png

6 hours ago, ThalGeno said:

got a new bug for you. this ones a game breaker. i'm not sure if its just green unit ross as a staff user that does this but... after about ten minutes I knew it was a lost cause. Erika was at full HP and ross just decided to heal her as a green unit the result is an infinite heal.

Screenshot 2018-04-08 at 5.21.30 PM.png

Yeah, saw this one on Turning Traitor. Dussel's crew got randomized to troubadours.

I found a bug with ch10 on Eirikas route. (Revolt at Carcino)

You can recruit Gerik, Innes and Tethys but Gerik disappears from your party when you return to the world map,  after the save screen.

I tried replaying it without recruiting Tethys and it still happened.

Also when a random encounter is on that tile on the world map it reloads chapter 10 with the levels i gave gerik instead of doing the skirmish.

Not sure if its relevant but Gerik was randomized to a fighter.

I've found a bug for a while (I'm not sure if it was an older version of the patch)

but I hadn't had the chance to report it. So whenever I visit a village from the stage with

Lute I can re visit the village infinite times.

I don't know if this glitch has already been fixed cause I don't have much time to watch the

discussion, but I thought I'd report it.

4 hours ago, WhydidImakethisaccount said:

I've found a bug for a while (I'm not sure if it was an older version of the patch)

but I hadn't had the chance to report it. So whenever I visit a village from the stage with

Lute I can re visit the village infinite times.

I don't know if this glitch has already been fixed cause I don't have much time to watch the

discussion, but I thought I'd report it.

This is going to be fixed in 1.2 according to the Circles last I saw in thread.

I've been loving this patch so far. How would you feel about changing the music randomizer to reroll once per phase, instead of rerolling whenever you move a unit? It also seems to act up a little on enemy combats, playing the map music on top of battle music.

Other than that, and some bizzare text when supporting Neimi with Colm in chapter 3, no problems to report. Thanks for your hard work!

• 3 weeks later...

Would it be possible to add the Solar/Lunar Braces to the inventories of people who roll the Ephraim/Eirika Lord Classes? Or maybe to add them to the shop? It's always disappointing when one of my characters rolls their class, but I don't randomly proc the needed items to promote them.

An easier fix would be to make them promote with knight and hero crests and remove the bracelets entirely, or to add the bracelets to the preparations shop.

6 hours ago, circleseverywhere said:

They already promote with master seals which you can buy at the prep screen anyway

Huh... I could swear that I had tried that and had it not work. But then, I seem to remember a lot of things wrong, like where my last Save State was. Awesome work, Circle. Love the hack.