So I just got Bayonetta, any tips?

Azz

As the title suggests, I got Bayonetta today for the Switch. I was wondering if there is anything I should know, like items I should look out for etc. I haven't really played many games like Bayo so I'm a bit of a noob. Thanks in advance.

Okay. For Bayo 1, buy Air Dodge and (I think it's called) Bats Within ASAP, dodging is super important and those 2 abilities are super useful. I don't think you were able to buy them  immediately, but keep an eye out for them. Witch Hearts increase your Max HP, Moon Pearls increase your Max Magic. Sometimes you get them complete, sometimes you get them in shards. Records (LPs) give you weapons.

For more general advice, try to get good at time in your dodges. Also, exploring and breaking things can be worth your while, but it's not necessary!

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

don't get frustrated for getting bad chapter rankings. most people get all or mostly stone awards on their first run.

edit: also the videos above are completely unnecessary. it's advanced stuff and it shows quite a bit of endgame content, so i'd say don't watch them and just play. the game does a good enough job of getting you good enough to beat normal mode and letting you see how you go from there anyway.

Edited by fartboi

Right in the first chapter they make a big deal out of the torture attacks. These are good silly fun, but largely unnecessary unless you really like using the angel weapons that enemies drop. The real big damage comes from Bayonetta's Wicked Weave attacks (the giant demon fists/feet/etc typically at the end of a button string). Don't worry about racking up style points at first, and just focus on landing those big hits. They give you breathing room, do a lot of damage, and are worth plenty of points.

Also, really small enemies and ones that fly are mostly not worth chasing down with your melee attacks until you get pretty good at the game and buy the rest of Bayo's moves. Just use your lock-on gun attacks to clear them out.

Also, since you're just starting out, do not neglect the lollipop creation! breaking furniture and stuff around the stages nets you a whole bunch of materials for free, and using an invincibility lollipop to just wail on those really troublesome enemies while they slash at you in vain is a great relief. Using items tanks your score, but for your first time through the story, who cares? Save your pure platinum aspirations for after you unlock all the stages. Invincibility lollipops will make your life so much easier, and so will the life refill lollis. You can mostly skip the magic refills, though, unless you really love the torture attacks.

One final thing: The accessories in Rodan's shop are fabulously expensive, so it's best to aim for one and buy it, then kind of ignore the rest until you buy out all of the witch hearts and moon pearls. Most players, myself included, recommend the Moon of Mahakala(sp). It gives you a parry with no limits that grants total invincibility... provided you can time it right. It's also one of the few accessories that doesn't cost any magic to use. In all likelihood you're not going to unlock a more useful accessory until well into the postgame. Once you get that, the flock of bats, and the aerial dodge, your umbra witch will be much harder to kill.

I keep thinking of more advice, but it's starting to get granular. Just enjoy it, and be prepared for a challenging, but rewarding, action game experience!