Who should write a Fire Emblem game?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

Who do you guys & gals think should write a future Fire Emblem title? I've heard Yasumi Matsuno as a suggestion, what do you all think though?

Have anyone in mind?

Edited by Dreamyboi

The Xeno fan in my says Tetsuya Takahashi, though we'd be getting a very different type of Fire Emblem if that were the case. I mean, he can probably keep it "Fire Emblem" but it wouldn't just be about warring nations like Fire Emblem typically is. Expect a lot of religious symbolism too and then a mech shows up like halfway through the game.

Regardless, if Takahashi does write a Fire Emblem story, i'll feel confident that it'll be great. All of the games in the Xeno series have great stories, except for Xenoblade X but that game was never about the story in the first place.

Guest Dreamyboi
44 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Xeno fan in my says Tetsuya Takahashi, though we'd be getting a very different type of Fire Emblem if that were the case. I mean, he can probably keep it "Fire Emblem" but it wouldn't just be about warring nations like Fire Emblem typically is. Expect a lot of religious symbolism too and then a mech shows up like halfway through the game.

Regardless, if Takahashi does write a Fire Emblem story, i'll feel confident that it'll be great. All of the games in the Xeno series have great stories, except for Xenoblade X but that game was never about the story in the first place.

Cool I gotta play Xenoblade 2 now

Guest Dreamyboi
32 minutes ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Akira Toriyama

The Legendary Super Lord Marth vs Perfect Cell Grima

Edited by Dreamyboi

1 hour ago, Hylian Air Force said:

Akira Toriyama

Does that mean all playable men will have one of 10 faces? I can't wait to see how many remind me of Angelo (he was a good and developed character by DQ standards)! 

And Blue Dragon exists you know. Never apparently did well, but it exists.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Same here. Although I think that if a Takahashi Fire Emblem had any issues, it'd be the old "too ambitious" criticism. But as an RD fan (an overambitious game among FEs), I wouldn't mind one bit, and Takahashi has learned to improve on his execution- he only had to cut a giant shoulder and a life pod scene out of XC. And maybe playable Vanea. But nothing like Disc 2 XG (I haven't touched XC2 yet- I'll get to it late spring-early summer), but even that had all the ideas there, the presentation was all that was lacking.

And mecha aren't a problem for Fire Emblem. Armor units need a buff, so might as well make them GIANT Armors (Xeno-mechs aren't that big by mecha standards though).

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although I think that if a Takahashi Fire Emblem had any issues, it'd be the old "too ambitious" criticism. But as an RD fan (an overambitious game among FEs), I wouldn't mind one bit, and Takahashi has learned to improve on his execution- he only had to cut a giant shoulder and a life pod scene out of XC. And maybe playable Vanea. But nothing like Disc 2 XG (I haven't touched XC2 yet- I'll get to it late spring-early summer), but even that had all the ideas there, the presentation was all that was lacking.

Yeah, i too see the potential "too ambitious" criticism with a Takahashi Fire Emblem. I mean, one of the criticisms Xenoblade 2 has is that some custscenes go on for quite a bit (the game has 14 hours of cutscenes in total), echoing a similar criticism Xenosaga I received when it had 8 hours of cutscenes, which is evidence of just how much these games want to tell a story. But even with Takahashi being a bit overambitious at times, as you said, he has learned how to improve his execution.

I suppose Takahashi's biggest challenge in writing a Fire Emblem game would be the Support Conversations. Takahashi is good at writing characters but Fire Emblem games tend to have way more characters than Xeno. He has the experience, just look at the Heart-to-Hearts in the -blade games but post-Awakening Fire Emblem still has a ton of Support Conversations.

With that said, this is all a hypothetical scenario so he could just reduce the number of Supports like in SoV.

41 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I suppose Takahashi's biggest challenge in writing a Fire Emblem game would be the Support Conversations. Takahashi is good at writing characters but Fire Emblem games tend to have way more characters than Xeno. He has the experience, just look at the Heart-to-Hearts in the -blade games but post-Awakening Fire Emblem still has a ton of Support Conversations.

With that said, this is all a hypothetical scenario so he could just reduce the number of Supports like in SoV.

Well from what I remember seeing in XCX, a game that has 18 playable characters outside of the MC. Although admittedly XCX isn't built around the story, the characters aren't great here, which is the closest possibly that Takahashi has gotten to an FE cast in size.

My quick opinions on them:

Spoiler
  1. Elma is love or hate by the end of the story. I say love for myself, but even then she is a little monotone.
  2. Lin is eh for me. Too anime. Tatsu should have been dinner for reals (that joke was overdone).
  3. L needed more than gimmicky talk and behavior.
  4. Celica is L with a British accent and also needed more. 
  5. Gwin is pathetic.
  6. Irina is interesting but underdone.
  7. Doug was good, but he looks much older than 30.
  8. Murderess starts really abrasive, but I ended up liking Murderess by the end of her Affinity Missions.
  9. Yelv starts abrasive, but turns out to be unique.
  10. Phog, for some reason I personally liked him, but he really isn't special. 
  11. Frye just drinks and fights. Not bad, but mostly a trope.
  12. Hope is kind enough, if bad in gameplay.
  13. Nagi is cool, the Citan/Jin/Dunban of XCX. Deadliest Secretary ever. Complete with the powerful Blossom Dance.
  14. HB ends up being likable, if arrogant at first and overly focused on one thing.
  15. Alexa is nice enough, but you have to invent the word Skellsexual for her.
  16. Boze is an old-fashioned Sensei who isn't even ethnically Japanese, and xenophobic. 
  17. Mia is perky and okay. Just locked behind some obscure and hard unlocking requirements you might not even meet until you beat the final boss.
  18. Lao, the game tries to make him out to be more heroic/tragic/sympathetic than he is. Not terrible outside of those moments though. In ordinary life, he seems good.
  19. Vandham wasn't playable sadly, but I think he was done well as a major NPC, badass at least.

And lastly, most of the minor sidequest NPCs were okay, never memorable really, but the sidequests themselves were good world building.

I never went for the Hearts to Hearts, but I did finish all but Elma's, Celica's and Nagi's Affinity Missions (I saved Nagi's for later because it apparently has a really cool cutscene).

Yasumi Matsuno, the writer of Tactics Ogre could be a good fit. I appreciated the somber tone of the war in that game. It could be a nice change of pace after the goofiness of Fateswakening.

Guest Dreamyboi
25 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

Yasumi Matsuno, the writer of Tactics Ogre could be a good fit. I appreciated the somber tone of the war in that game. It could be a nice change of pace after the goofiness of Fateswakening.

Agreed. Fates especially was, for a good number of reasons, impossible to take seriously. I hear the stories for Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are great though and I honestly can't wait to try out FFT when I get the chance. Sadly wont get to play Tactics Ogre anymore because I sold my PS Vita, it was gathering dust anyway.

How about Chris Avellone? Probably the only video game writer I know by name since he did it for one of my favorite rpgs of all time and some other perennially acclaimed games like Planescape Torment, KOTOR 2, and the recent Prey though I haven't yet gotten to any of those three. In the games I have played, he's got an excellent grasp on dialogue writing and character growth that reacts to player choices. He can write small scale conflict side quests in a way that reflects back on the larger scale events of that world. These are all aspects of writing I feel Fire Emblem, especially 3DS era Fire Emblem, has trouble with.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Dreamyboi said:

Agreed. Fates especially was, for a good number of reasons, impossible to take seriously. I hear the stories for Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics are great though and I honestly can't wait to try out FFT when I get the chance. Sadly wont get to play Tactics Ogre anymore because I sold my PS Vita, it was gathering dust anyway.

Maybe watch a playthrough on Youtube? As much as I enjoyed the writing of the game, the gameplay was very punishing. Enemies are always significantly stronger than you and better positioned, to a degree where even superior tactics isn't enough to overcome the challenges.

9 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

How about Chris Avellone? Probably the only video game writer I know by name since he did it for one of my favorite rpgs of all time and some other perennially acclaimed games like Planescape Torment, KOTOR 2, and the recent Prey though I haven't yet gotten to any of those three. In the games I have played, he's got an excellent grasp on dialogue writing and character growth that reacts to player choices. He can write small scale conflict side quests in a way that reflects back on the larger scale events of that world. These are all aspects of writing I feel Fire Emblem, especially 3DS era Fire Emblem, has trouble with.

I was just about to suggest him, but you beat me too it! Regardless, I wholeheartedly agree that he should try his hand at writing for the series, even if it is just a one time deal. He's extremely good at deconstructions, and ensuring that the gameplay and story compliment each other. And as you said, he's also good at writing dialogue and characters. My only concern is that while a lot of the characters you meet in the games you mentioned tend to be unique and are far two dimensional, you can tell that the players party gets the lions share of depth and development, and they tend to be of a reasonable size too, so I wonder how'd he handle writing for an army of over 30 people.

By the way, what RPG are you talking about when you say it's your favorite? I've played KOTOR 2, and it has one of my favorite stories in a videogame (even if I haven't beaten it, because my computer can no longer play bioware games anymore for some stupid reason) and I've tried Planescape Torment but haven't gotten very far, honestly (I should have heeded the warning that the game starts of slow more strongly, and it doesn't help that I'm not good at finishing long games anyway).

Edited by Hawkwing

Guest Dreamyboi
12 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Maybe watch a playthrough on Youtube? As much as I enjoyed the writing of the game, the gameplay was very punishing. Enemies are always significantly stronger than you and better positioned, to a degree where even superior tactics isn't enough to overcome the challenges.

Oof, yeah I think I'll watch a playthrough for that one. I still plan on playing FFT War of the Lions on iPad (it's the only version I can find without slowdown issues) but I hear there's one map in particular that's so bad it's luck based and if that's true I am NOT looking forward to it.

16 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

I came here to scroll through this and giggle at the suggestions until I saw this and yes, he did a good job writing that game and the tone would fit well into FE.

Guest Dreamyboi

Whoever's writing FE Switch I hope we can get a different kind of story than "Evil people want to summon a god/dragon to do bad stuff".

I don't mind the magic legendary weapon stuff but even if Fire Emblem is fantasy, sometimes I think it'd do better for the story to be a little more realistic when it comes to the conflict. That way we end up with less "I'm evil because I'm possessed or some shit" villains like Garon and more that are driven by their own motivation.

Hard to give antagonists depth when they have literally no control of their actions and aren't even themselves anymore, that's what killed Garon's potential and made him a joke and it's one of several reasons why Anankos is my least favorite Fire Emblem antagonist bar none.

6 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:

Oof, yeah I think I'll watch a playthrough for that one. I still plan on playing FFT War of the Lions on iPad (it's the only version I can find without slowdown issues) but I hear there's one map in particular that's so bad it's luck based and if that's true I am NOT looking forward to it.

If you can get through the BK fight, I'm sure you'll manage on that other luck based mission. ;)

Guest Dreamyboi
6 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

If you can get through the BK fight, I'm sure you'll manage on that other luck based mission. ;)

BK fight?

Which one do you mean?

7 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

BK fight?

Which one do you mean?

The Black Knight in Path of Radiance. You WILL lose if you don't proc Aether enough, which is luck based.

1 minute ago, NekoKnight said:

The Black Knight in Path of Radiance. You WILL lose if you don't proc Aether enough, which is luck based.

Actually Ike with maxed Str landing all his hits, assuming the BK doesn't get healed by a Bishop, works too. As does Wrath and Adept, but regardless, it is all luck. No guaranteed way of killing the BK. Evidence FE isn't really made for 1 vs. 1 duels.