Super Robot Wars

Rei

Huh, is this a fighting game, or the gameplay is similar to ACE's...? If it's the former... huh, well, hopefully it won't be like Super Battle Spirits (that's the name of the fighting game, right?), when you had ridiculous stuff like Voltes and Billvine brawling it out while both having similar sizes... lol

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PV1:

I'm honestly unimpressed by what I'm seeing. The combat seems clunky, the animations are often choppy, and it has one of my biggest complaints from almost every Gundam game ever: a quick Boost Overheat (maybe not to such a quick extent that said Gundam games have, but still there nonetheless - it completely goes against the fact that they routinely depict the mechs doing it for much longer in animation).

Of the footage in the video, I honestly think that the Gespenst Mk-II M seems the most fluid and natural, complete with a relatively brisk speed and good boost duration. The game's 80% complete, so I'm honestly not expecting that it'll look or play any better between now and when it releases. The game's concept has promise (enough so that I've honestly thought about how great a Gundam Extreme Vs. meets SRW meets ACE game would play (I even typed up a fantasy idea document almost a year ago covering the concept)), but this just screams "failed execution" to me.

IMHO, the game's only saving grace (seen at the end of the PV) is the fact that the limited edition will come bundled with the first downloadable episode for The 2nd Super Robot Wars OG titled the "Dark Prison DLC", which, as you can guess, covers Shu's Route from EX which Terada and co. weren't able to include in the regular game (for whatever their reasoning was); or, you could save yourself the import and just wait for the DLC to become available online in 2014.

Edited by Lord Glenn

What, 2nd OG didn't had Shu's route?! Hmm... considering everything else that was in there, I could probably guess that perhaps it was space issues, but eh... it probably was most likely it was done deliberately... or something, who knows.

The thing that really grinds my gears about the 2nd OG DLC (which I forgot to mention above) isn't that it's Shu's Route and should have been in the game to begin with - honestly, I'm fine with it being DLC. (And, heck, I'd love to see some DLC that just adds some mechs to the available pool (make it 2nd Playthrough+ or something if you're worried about balance), for that matter. I want my Wildschwein back, nao!)

It bugs me that, after seeing the preview with Granworm Sword and it's new animation, I now can easily feel that the development team hit a deadline with 2nd OG and were forced to tone down how involved the later mechs' animations were (to the point that a fair number became simple up-res images from their OGs sprites), especially in regards to the amount of dynamic angles as the attacks progressed.

• 2 weeks later...

SRW MK3 impressions: MK3 is basically MK2 with added parts/part points, different skill system, and enemies with higher stats. Part points work like skill points, except you get a part as a reward. Skills are still refundable and now cost PP, with PP rewarded for unspent SP at the end of each mission.

Enemies have higher stats overall, especially grunts with high HP and long range high damage P attacks. The AI is also improved, choosing to focus fire on weaker units instead of randomly attacking as in most recent SRWs.

The campaign starts out more difficult than usual, but gets easier once you have better upgrades/parts/skills/morale boosts. I'm not a big fan of reverse difficulty curves and I think they should have reversed the curve or added an easy mode. It's one of the more difficult SRWs of the past couple years. You can get extra parts from DLC missions which make the game easier overall, though.

Overall it's an improvement on MK2, but still feels like a game from the 1990s with HD graphics. Winkysoft hasn't changed its formula much. I gave MK2 a 6/10 and MK3 feels more like a 6.5-7/10.

No upgrade/pp as usual.. 212 turns total.. although with the wonky way MK3 counts turns, it's more like 253 turns.

Probably not going to play the other routes. Now to catch up on SRW OE and clear Ch 3 and 4.

• 2 weeks later...

still not sure whether or not cobray will exist

if he does i think it'll actually be alpha cobray though

Cobray definitely exists. I forgot when exactly, but there is a part where Ingray talked with an unknown, and the anime revealed the unknown was Cobray. Or at least heavily hinted at being Cobray.

I kinda think so too. I still remember that for all that has happened, Astranagant is still MIA from the OG continuity. Even if there were to be a Cobray from the OG time line, how could he get his Dis-Astranagant?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Cobray definitely exists. I forgot when exactly, but there is a part where Ingray talked with an unknown, and the anime revealed the unknown was Cobray. Or at least heavily hinted at being Cobray.

I kinda think so too. I still remember that for all that has happened, Astranagant is still MIA from the OG continuity. Even if there were to be a Cobray from the OG time line, how could he get his Dis-Astranagant?

If Cobray shows up, as Cam theorizes (and I believe as well), it'll most likely be the Alpha-universe version of Cobray, who's currently Ingram's replacement as a Time Diver. As such, it's possible that he's outside of the whole universe cycle thing that Euzeth reveals - perhaps he's able to jump between universes across spacetime and thus wasn't "reset" like (most) everyone else. If Cobray shows up in the OGverse, he'll probably arrive with the Dis Astranagant in tow to begin with. (Considering that each new game kinda tames the power of the mechs, it's possible he could even show up at the start of 3rd OG. Though, I could see how plot-wise, they might wait until later in the game to bring him and the Dis into the universe.)

That being said, the better question is whether there will be any interaction between Ing and Cobray - not in dialogue, mind you. Ing is a clone (doesn't Euzeth actually say that he's based on Alpha!Ingram *because* of the Time Diver link?) and Cobray is also a clone, one that's already bonded with Ingram as a matter of fact. Is Ing's presense what has been keeping Cobray from entering the OGverse? Will Banpresto allow two pretty "hax" mechs to exist in parallel (Ex-Exbein and Dis)? Or, is it possible that, just like how Ingram and Cobray were merged, something will happen plot-wise and Cobray will show up and merge with Ing to save one or both of their existences?

At your last question, I honestly think that Ing is going to be Cobray's OGverse expy (i.e. no Cobray native to the universe). They both have similar origins - they're both originally clones of Ingram, they're both kind of amnesiac / they predominantly go by names that aren't actually their own, their mech progression is relatively similar, etc. That's in part what makes me feel that the speculation above makes a ton of sense and that my latter two questions may end up coming to light.

If Cobray shows up, as Cam theorizes (and I believe as well), it'll most likely be the Alpha-universe version of Cobray, who's currently Ingram's replacement as a Time Diver. As such, it's possible that he's outside of the whole universe cycle thing that Euzeth reveals - perhaps he's able to jump between universes across spacetime and thus wasn't "reset" like (most) everyone else. If Cobray shows up in the OGverse, he'll probably arrive with the Dis Astranagant in tow to begin with. (Considering that each new game kinda tames the power of the mechs, it's possible he could even show up at the start of 3rd OG. Though, I could see how plot-wise, they might wait until later in the game to bring him and the Dis into the universe.)

That being said, the better question is whether there will be any interaction between Ing and Cobray - not in dialogue, mind you. Ing is a clone (doesn't Euzeth actually say that he's based on Alpha!Ingram *because* of the Time Diver link?) and Cobray is also a clone, one that's already bonded with Ingram as a matter of fact. Is Ing's presense what has been keeping Cobray from entering the OGverse? Will Banpresto allow two pretty "hax" mechs to exist in parallel (Ex-Exbein and Dis)? Or, is it possible that, just like how Ingram and Cobray were merged, something will happen plot-wise and Cobray will show up and merge with Ing to save one or both of their existences?

At your last question, I honestly think that Ing is going to be Cobray's OGverse expy (i.e. no Cobray native to the universe). They both have similar origins - they're both originally clones of Ingram, they're both kind of amnesiac / they predominantly go by names that aren't actually their own, their mech progression is relatively similar, etc. That's in part what makes me feel that the speculation above makes a ton of sense and that my latter two questions may end up coming to light.

I haven't played Alpha 3 or 2ndOG, but i'm familiar with a tiny bit of story, and I like this theory, but I think Banpresto could make the mech things go along pretty well, and for some crazy plot reason or two fuse the Ex and Dis... or not

Is it time for a SRW M (moe) game?

Don't they already have this in the form of Super Herione Chronicle?

I also need some help, I can't get into Alpha 3, my body refuses it whenever I try to play it, and I really want to, and I think my copy(ies) hate me, whenever I finally get the resolve to play, it freezes on me almost instantly, any solutions to both problems?

• 3 weeks later...