Sign in to follow this  
GlitchWarrior

Mark the Mystery Man

Ahem... Good morning, Mark. I have a little something to discuss with you...

Why aren't you 100% canon?

Mark's canonicity is a pretty well-debated topic, and personally, I believe in it. As for everyone else, I don't know. But the reason it's up for debate is that it's entirely possible to play through the entire seventh game in the Fire Emblem series, from Chapter eleven onward, without the tactician existing.

Playing through Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance, on your first run, you're asked to create a tactician. According to the game, the character's name is, by default, Mark, although the tactician can be male or female. For the sake of this post, I'll go with the default Mark.

You are then introduced to Lyn, the main character of the game (at least, for the prologue and the first ten levels). She wakes Mark up, having found him unconscious on the plains. Sh steps out only to find a group of bandits on the plains. Mark is a strategist by trade, so he decides to follow Lyn around, telling her what enemies it would be best to fight. After the battle, the pair sets out on an epic quest.

But, from chapter 11 onward, things aren't so simple. If you've beaten the game before, you can start from this level. Thing is, if you do it in this manner, you have an option to NOT create a tactician, which would make Lyn's story non-canon (as Mark was essential to Lyn's tale). Even if you do create a new tactician, Lyn's story won't be canon, and the units don't recognize you. But in that case, Mark WOULD be canon.

It wouldn't be a problem on its own. But add in a few extra scenes from later games in the series, and things really get turned on their head. Playing the Awakening DLC is a good way to earn experience, but it also adds to the "Mark Problem," as, when you encounter Lyn in the Outrealms, she begins to suspect that ROBIN is Mark (or, whatever you named them, should Robin and your tactician both have been female). In Heroes, two extra versions of Lyn (but not the main one, surprisingly) begin to suspect this of Kiran, the Summoner. And in Warriors, she once again casts suspicion on Robin.

So, is Mark canon? Is Robin actually Mark? It would make sense, after all. Robin is found with amnesia, and... well, what's left is a spoiler for Awakening. But deep down, I never thought of it like that. On the other hand, it COULD very well be possible.

So, what are your thoughts on the Mark Situation? Let me know, and I'll see you later.

21 minutes ago, GlitchGabe said:

Ahem... Good morning, Mark. I have a little something to discuss with you...

Why aren't you 100% canon?

Mark's canonicity is a pretty well-debated topic, and personally, I believe in it. As for everyone else, I don't know. But the reason it's up for debate is that it's entirely possible to play through the entire seventh game in the Fire Emblem series, from Chapter eleven onward, without the tactician existing.

Playing through Fire Emblem for the Game Boy Advance, on your first run, you're asked to create a tactician. According to the game, the character's name is, by default, Mark, although the tactician can be male or female. For the sake of this post, I'll go with the default Mark.

You are then introduced to Lyn, the main character of the game (at least, for the prologue and the first ten levels). She wakes Mark up, having found him unconscious on the plains. Sh steps out only to find a group of bandits on the plains. Mark is a strategist by trade, so he decides to follow Lyn around, telling her what enemies it would be best to fight. After the battle, the pair sets out on an epic quest.

But, from chapter 11 onward, things aren't so simple. If you've beaten the game before, you can start from this level. Thing is, if you do it in this manner, you have an option to NOT create a tactician, which would make Lyn's story non-canon (as Mark was essential to Lyn's tale). Even if you do create a new tactician, Lyn's story won't be canon, and the units don't recognize you. But in that case, Mark WOULD be canon.

It wouldn't be a problem on its own. But add in a few extra scenes from later games in the series, and things really get turned on their head. Playing the Awakening DLC is a good way to earn experience, but it also adds to the "Mark Problem," as, when you encounter Lyn in the Outrealms, she begins to suspect that ROBIN is Mark (or, whatever you named them, should Robin and your tactician both have been female). In Heroes, two extra versions of Lyn (but not the main one, surprisingly) begin to suspect this of Kiran, the Summoner. And in Warriors, she once again casts suspicion on Robin.

So, is Mark canon? Is Robin actually Mark? It would make sense, after all. Robin is found with amnesia, and... well, what's left is a spoiler for Awakening. But deep down, I never thought of it like that. On the other hand, it COULD very well be possible.

So, what are your thoughts on the Mark Situation? Let me know, and I'll see you later.

It's pretty obvious that Mark is canon. He's subject to creation on your first playthrough unless you specifically transferred with FE6. The fact that he can not  be there is akin to asking if Wallace, Geitz, Canas, Harken, Karla, or Karel are canon because you can possibly not run into them. As a matter of fact, you specifically cannot run into Karla on your first playthrough. Yet, based on FE6 we know she's canon. 

Sure. 

Also true. 

Sure it is. And no, Lyndis' story is still very much canon. The only difference is that Eliwood didn't chance upon the tactician like he did in his route and take him/her along this time.  And you're looking at it the wrong way. Mark = You. If you didn't do Lyndis Mode, then the units not recognizing you would be because you didn't do Lyn Mode therefore the characters shouldn't recognize you because you weren't the tactician that met and helped them to achieve victory. 

That would lend credence to the fact that Mark is canon then. She remembers the tactician, and that Lyndis is constantly believing that this tactician that disappeared may be other people or at the very least, reminds her of him/her. 

I'd say very much so since they continue to have Lyndis make references to them. 

At the very least, we know that Lyndis has a deeper connection with a person named Mark, because her death quote always involves someone named Mark. There is no "didn't choose a tactican" Lyn death quote. If anything, I'd think that Lyndis is just fated to run into tacticians. If anything, the question you should be asking is if there are two Marks. Because there's still a Mark that Lyndis knew even if this same Mark didn't run into Eliwood. 

Edited by Augestein

Mark is canon and i wish it was more of a staple to have a character like mark that could be your self-insert and gets to talk to all the characters and so on 
I guess awakening also did something neat where your main robin is also a tactician so its not some random force telling units to move places