Thoughts?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. A Golden Ending

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • I don't know
    • Can you repeat the question?

One criticisms of Fates that I see frequently is that on Revelation there is a golden ending to the game. And that there shouldn't be one because that invalidates Corrin's choice.I 'm wondering could it have been better implemented in the game. Maybe Corrin could be an ambassador of peace to the continent? Or we are cynical people that want characters to suffer in the end. 

For this to work, it would require a giant overhaul of everything - the two kingdoms, why they're fighting, what the world is like, etc.  And none of this Valla nonsense, either.

Because IMO the best ending would be for both sides to unite and kill Corrin.

I don't believe it was wrong for Revelations to be the best ending but they really took the easy way out. In Birthright and Conquest we lose Elise, Azura, Xander, Ryoma, Takumi and possibly Kaze.

In contrast the only people that died in revelations were some Corrinsexuals no one cared about. That was kinda weak. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Guest Dreamyboi

In my opinion, no. The way I see it the endings are supposed to be bittersweet because you're making a serious and tough decision that will decide the course of the war somehow and which superpower will win in the end, unless your siblings on the opposing route somehow forgive you for siding with their worst enemy, killing their troops and friends and then raising your sword against them there is no way to squeeze a golden ending out of that.

It really should have been just Hoshido and Nohr, but instead we wound up with a gross fanfiction of what we could've had because the dev team couldn't get it's shit together

Edited by Dreamyboi

I mean sure, it could work. But it would need more details along the way, and we would need to go through more to get to that "golden ending". In all honesty, Corrin suffered more on the Birthright and Conquest routes than they did in Revelation, and I thought that they didn't really have to go through too much in Revelation. Now, I'm not saying that they needed to completely suffer something new in each chapter, but something should have been done differently. As others have said before, the deaths of the Corrinsexuals was pretty lame and seemed to be thrown in the story just for the hell of it. It wasn't really all that shocking when it happened, but it was annoying that it happened in the way that it did. 

I do like how it started, with both sides not trusting Corrin after they refused to pick a side, which is one of the few times that the royals on either side actually acted as though they had some sense in them. It was natural for them to not trust Corrin and to feel betrayed, but I feel like their trust was won too easily in the end. I'm not sure really what could have been done differently to make it seem more realistic, other than to add more chapters to the game, but it still would only result in more seemingly pointless battles and would probable draw it out too much. 

The concept of Valla is not entirely stupid to me, and in fact I think it was pretty cool. The concept was just not carried out in a way that made it seem particularly memorable. I felt as though we should have spent more time in Valla, since it was supposed to be so central to everything. Our time there came off as rushed, with little explanation as to why we were there and how things got to be the way they were. I understand that all of that is outlined in optional DLC, but that could have easily been worked into the Revelation path itself, which would have made it more coherent. 

I think that what could have made the experience in Valla more memorable, if nothing else, would be to fight alternate versions of the characters that had died in the other paths. For example, we could have fought against Ryoma, who died in Conquest and who is now being controlled by Anankos. It could be worked in somehow to show Corrin and all the others what could have happened had Corrin chose to side either with Nohr or Hoshido, and would have showed that their deaths would have been meaningless, since Anakos was their true foe all along. Not only would it have been interesting to see, but it was also solidify the point even more. Like I said though, I just thought it would have been cool to see that happen, but in order for that to happen other things would likely need to be added, and could have only led to more confusion and plot holes, knowing the writing team that Fates had. 

But overall, I think that a "golden ending" with Revelation is not an issue. What is an issue, however, is how that ending was reached. The journey to any ending is always important and is what makes any story even remotely enjoyable, because while people may appreciate a "feel good" ending, what they enjoy even more is being able to experience it along with characters that they can view as realistic and relatable. If that aspect is not there at all, then an ending that is just made to make everyone feel happy is a waste and is an example of lazy writing. 

On 3/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, eclipse said:

Because IMO the best ending would be for both sides to unite and kill Corrin.

Why? Corrin is a beloved member of both families, and didn't really do anything worth being killed for. That's like saying killing off Marth or Eirika or Celica would imporve the story.

On 3/20/2018 at 6:45 AM, redtutel said:

Why? Corrin is a beloved member of both families, and didn't really do anything worth being killed for. That's like saying killing off Marth or Eirika or Celica would imporve the story.

Marth - he's the actual main character, so this wouldn't work.
Eirika - maybe
Celica - definitely

Politically speaking, Corrin is dangerous.  They'd know things like where the guards are stationed (assuming they were an actually competent character raised by someone with an ounce of sense, not the nonsense that is Garon) and the castle layout - things the other side is best not knowing.  Thus, if there's no guarantee that Corrin won't run off/betray, it's best to tie up that loose end.

I like golden endings so I want to say yes, but the problem with Revelations isn't that it is the golden ending but that it makes no flipping sense. If they try this again in the future I would love for them to have a golden ending that actually works with the story they created not introduces a lot of plot holes and sweeps any actual conflict under the rug in favor of a new bad guy nobody knew about until now.

For a golden ending to work in the context of Fates, Revelations must bring with it a legitimate amount of hardship to make the good worth it. Furthermore, the ending can't be so golden that Birthright and Conquest seem like pointless options. Finally, there needs to be some consequence for Corrin; in each route, there is a legitimate consequence for either choice by Corrin, yet there seems to be none in Revelations. Of course, this is reliant on the other routes being revised to be a more solid story as well.