Which of the first two games is better?

CatManThree

Which of the first two games is better?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which game is better?

• Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
    • Gaiden

I think everyone can agree that both of these games did not age well at all. But which one of the two is better? At least in your opinion.

Remember, the remakes of these games are by no means the same as the originals. Just felt I needed to clear that up.

Personally I prefer FE1 by a long shot. The map design overall is just better and the broken stat boosters are really entertaining to abuse or simply use in general.

Edited by CatManThree

Well, the rings in FE2 are equally if not more so broken.

I prefer Gaiden, but admittedly I never gave FE1 much of a shot - the music compared to FE2 doesn't really keep my interest either.

7 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

Well, the rings in FE2 are equally if not more so broken.

Thing is though, the stat boosters in FE1 actually have a fun use outside of just meming a unit's stats that is also rather helpful. They allow a unit that you may be stuck with to go from shit, to a fine replacement. Lets say for instance all your mounted units are dead except Roshea or Matthis. These two can easily be put to work quickly via the use of stat boosters due to the universal 20 stat caps and high bonuses from the items.

The ring's in gaiden are outright broken without purpose.

I love both FE1 and 2, they don't deserve their reputation. They are both fun games and yes they haven't aged well but neither has pretty much every Famicom game, so it isn't really a surprise. 

If you ever play them, keep in mind they are the originals and deserve their respect for what they created and to be open minded about mechanics, yes they haven't aged well but that means jack squat. 

I think they are both under-appreciated games but I do much prefer FE 2, people often just never play either game and think their bad because someone else said so or something along the lines of "HURR DURR Grafiks not even good" 

FE2 is so much freaking fun to play. One of my top three favorite FE games.

FE1 on the other hand, I find torturous to play. Not saying it's bad, necessarily...I just have issues with it for some reason.

FE1.

FE2 is a goddamn clusterfuck, and slower than molasses going uphill. I always give credit to the team handling the remake that they managed to keep SoV as true to Gaiden as possible, while still making it way more fun than the original.

Edited by Slumber

I really have to say that both are slow to me.

Gaiden is the sort of game that's frustrating when it isn't fun in an absurd way. DD is a boring game to me on the other hand.

I'm apparently okay with the pains that Gaiden gives. Probably never bother with either one again though.

FE1, no question. Good maps and good set up for FE3. Gaiden is a slogggggg.....

Although I will say that the Gaiden soundtrack is in my top 3 for the series...

After having played both and defeated both. I have to say FE1, though I do enjoy both games overall. FE2 had way too many unfair/tedious elements compared to FE1 (Celica's team randomly losing HP before the final battle in Chapter 5, experience being gained way too slowly by FE standards even in easy mode, swamp maps where most characters will constantly lose HP traveling through swamp water, certain enemies constantly summoning up to 8 monsters). That, and FE2 has a couple of pretty cruel tricks that people going in blind will fall victim to (namely the fact that anyone who isn't Alm shouldn't be attacking Rudolf and the Chapter 4 volcano/constant Dracozombie spawning trap on Alm's side).

That aside, I still like FE2 as a whole for the risks it took, the customization in choosing Villager promotions, the magic system being pretty fun and versatile, among other things.

Gaiden.

Less clunky interface, no asshole reinforcements, a world map, fewer worthless characters, a marginally more interesting weapon system, the debut of auto-battle and the "push a button to cycle through your units" function, and playable Camus.

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light has a decent narrative, though, and less tedious maps. I just can't get over the slight lag when you want to change the direction you're moving your cursor.

Also, it really pisses me off that both games' Falchions are exempt from the battle animations: off option.