Most/Least Likely to Return to Switch Smash Between Roy, Robin, and Corrin

Randoman

Who's The Most Likely to Least Likely to Make it into the Switch Smash between Roy, Robin, and Corrin?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Most Likely to Least Likely to Make it into the Switch Smash between Roy, Robin, and Corrin?

• Roy, Robin, Corrin
    • Roy, Corrin, Robin
    • Robin, Roy, Corrin
    • Robin, Corrin, Roy
    • Corrin, Roy, Robin
    • Corrin, Robin, Roy

So between Roy, Robin, and Corrin only, in what order do you think the 3 of them are most likely to least likely to make it into the Switch Smash? Even if you don't think any of these 3 will be cut, please indulge me and just play along with the idea just for this thread. I want to get SF's opinions on the topic, due to it being a Fire Emblem forum.

I personally think Robin is the mostly likely to stay, due to being the only one of the 3 in the base Smash 4 roster. The other two I feel are more likely to be cut due to being DLC and not part of the base game. Roy and Corrin, I'll admit it's quite a close call between them, but I'm personally leaning more towards Roy, since there was a lot of requests for Roy to be added as DLC in both Brawl and pre-DLC Smash 4. As for Corrin, there were very few requests for him to actually be in as a DLC character (at least, in comparison with other requested characters). I can't really think of any more compelling arguments as to why Roy would be in over Corrin, since as I said before, it's quite a close call.

Remember, this is based on the likeliness of what'll actually happen if cuts need to be made, rather than who are your personal favourites of the 3. If you really want to, I suppose you can state which of those 3 are your most to least favourites in addition to answering the thread's question.

I voted Robin >>> Roy > Corrin for the reasons you put except with Roy's nostalgia bias giving him an edge over Corrin.

I think Robin is the most likely to stay in, and while I'm not sure if Corrin or Roy is more likely over the other to remain on the roster, on a personal level, I'd want to see Corrin, because they have a different playstyle than Roy, who's basically just "Marth except he has fire."

Roy's a more popular character than Corrin, though, so who knows what'll happen.

Robin's staying for sure. I also want to say that Roy is guaranteed as well because not only was he added due to fan-demand but unused data in Brawl shows he was never meant to be cut in the first place. I would use the "DLC increases their chances" argument but that applies to both Roy and Corrin.

Edited by Armagon

Roy's the least likely to return. He's too much of a clone and Binding Blade is a far smaller game than Awakening or Fates. (Granted, Robin's only one of two from Awakening.) Corrin and Robin feel about equal to me; I doubt either gets cut.

Its funny how nobody is suspecting Ike could be the one that gets cut. 

But I think Corrin's the one who is likely to get cut. He was just there to advertise Fates which is no longer needed and Corrin was never really warmly embraced by the Smash community. And that's just the Smash community but Corrin is highly divisive in the FE community as well. 

4 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Would it? Tellius is well used to getting the short end of the stick. 

Fair enough. But when we're talking about an insanely popular character with a unique moveset and Smash franchise history.... well, it's pretty reasonable to assume that he's safe. 

27 minutes ago, Mallow said:

I'd want to see Corrin, because they have a different playstyle than Roy, who's basically just "Marth except he has fire."

As a Roy main, I'm obligated to disagree. Roy's hitbox placement requires a slightly more careful playstyle than Marth, who for the most part can just hang out so far away from the other guy and throw out moves so that if they try to approach, free Tipper hit. This is of course more prevalent in Melee, where Roy is really not even a fully-developed character while Marth is…yeah. Even in Sm4sh, however, Roy still plays differently enough compared to Marth in the hands of someone who actually knows how to use him(so basically almost nobody you'll ever run into playing him in real life because most people playing Roy believe he should be played as a rushdown kind of character) to be worth treating as a far more likely repeat for 5mash than, say, Lucina.

As for Most to Least of these three, I would say Roy comes out a hair ahead of the other two due to, as Armagon mentioned, his Brawl data and eventual Sm4sh DLC suggesting he was never meant to be dropped in the first place, plus his popularity among the Smash Community, which is at least on par with Robin and Corrin's(though I am also willing to admit my personal bias is involved in that view of things). I know most of us on here see Robin and Corrin spoken of much more frequently, but do keep in mind that this is a predominantly Fire Emblem Forum focused on Fire Emblem, and just because IS is so very invested in shoving more Awakening and Fates down our throats doesn't mean Sakurai sees things the same way.

My real opinion on this, though, is that Roy, Robin, and Corrin will all stay, but Lucina will drop. Trying to see things from Sakurai's perspective, I believe Roy was mostly brought back for his popularity among older Smash players, and Robin, Lucina, and Corrin were all brought in mostly for the purpose of semi-advertising their respective games.
Given how positive the reaction to his DLC release was(at least from what I saw), there doesn't seem to be a real reason to drop Roy a second time bar time constraints(Sakurai does have less than a year to get 5mash out while meeting their deadline after all), but Sakurai already set a precedent with Sm4sh implicating that he's willing to delay the launch date for a Smash game in order to make sure it gets done right, so it's very likely fans will call him out if he does that, leading at the very least to a second DLC appearance for the Young Lion. Of course, this is assuming the game gets delayed or we get time constraints leading to content being cut from the base game to be added in later via Updates/DLC - if all goes smoothly, frankly I think Roy's Mega-Veteran status will net him a spot, but then again, we ARE still waiting for Young Link and Pichu to return…
Corrin, despite being quite a divisive character within the Fire Emblem fanbase, was as far as I can tell received rather positively in Smash, though this might also have been because Fates wasn't out for the non-Japanese world just yet and we didn't know how…interesting…the Fates experience would be for us all. Corrin is not only unique(apparently able to come remarkably close to waveshining with the Dragon Fang Shot for example), but also good, though as my brother NEVER tires of telling the rest of us we could really do without the Dragon Lunge Side-B because it discourages learning how to play the Neutral as you can just Side-B then run away if it didn't work and try again. Due to this, and because to be honest someone high up will probably force it, I think we can expect to see Corrin again.
Lucina and Robin were both included because Awakening was a thing. Awakening isn't the same brand-spanking-new game it was, but it's still fairly relevant(in part thanks to IS and Nintendo continuing to force it upon us through Heroes and Warriors), so it makes sense that at least one Ylissian rep will stay. Which one goes, though? Lucina, of course - Sakurai stated when he first saw Robin that the character's moveset just clicked into place as a unique niche within the Fire Emblem cast for SSB, while Lucina was meant to be a palette swap and got upgraded because…uh…give me a minute(yes I know why, please don't sit and tell me the reasoning he gave, it's a different argument anyways). Robin's originality within Smash Bros. should pull him ahead of Lucina on the list of people to bring back for this round, but this is Sakurai, so you can't be too sure.

Really, I'd love for this to be the ultimate final installment - with at least all Fighters, Stages, Assist Trophies and Poke Balls from the previous games - so that Sakurai can finally take the break he deserves in addition to getting away from all of us whining at him about how so-and-so's not in the game or what's-his-face is WAY stronger than that and it's clearly biased so the next update had better fix it. However, the guy's already gone above and beyond what any of us would have probably done in terms of just putting up with the fanbase, not to mention the physical stress the last game put him through, so if this is the last show and it's not Re:Everything Smash, then hey, I'm willing to let the man do his thing.

Robin isn't going anywhere.

There are valid reasons to give Roy or Corrin higher priority, but I personally give Corrin the edge because their dragon shapeshifting makes them more unique and their home game isn't Japan exclusive. There's also the fact that Roy missed out on two base rosters since his first appearance, but that's not a totally fair comparison because Corrin hasn't had the "opportunity" to be cut yet.

And though she isn't part of the topic, it's hard to predict what will happen with Lucina because clones are treated differently from other characters. If she gets decloned as with Falco and Ganondorf then she has a good chance of returning, but if not it depends on if Sakurai can slip her in at the last minute again. Or IS will tell Sakurai to keep her around, which seems like a valid possibility.

Robin and Corrin are too unique to be cut imo. Sakurai likes characters that bring new and different things to the Smash table. Roy is just another normal sword and is still a partial Marth clone. He's a bit more different than he was in Melee, but not completely. Robin and Corrin are also from far more popular games.

That said, Corrin was DLC while Robin wasn't, so I say Robin > Corrin >>>>> Roy.

Also, no way is Ike getting cut. He's unique, especially for a sword character, being the only heavyweight class sword wielder and having his own moveset that differs from everybody else. He's also been in two (three if you count Wii U and 3DS separately) Smash games now. He's become a staple. Also, he's one of the most popular FE characters period, possibly the most popular one in Smash.

Edited by Anacybele

The more I think about it, the more I think Roy's the most in danger of being cut. Binding Blade is much older than either Awakening or Fates, and it is also Japan only.

I honestly don't think anyone is getting cut, but if they thought one really had go, then I'd assume it would be Roy. As I and others have said before, Robin and Corrin are unique in their playstyles, while Roy is still just like Marth aside from having different mechanics with his sweet spots.

However, judging how last time worked with who made it and who didn't (mostly clones were cut aside from Snake and the Ice Climbers), I think the FE cast is mostly safe aside from Lucina, and at worst she'd simply be demoted to a alternate costume..

Robin is the most likely to stay. Their tomes and moveset gimmick makes them completely unique compared to the other playable FE characters. Being one of the most popular characters from Awakening and FE in general helps too.

Corrin is also very likely to stay. Their dragon shapeshifting abilities also helps make them unique and gives them an edge compared to the other sword lords. Female Corrin is also fairly popular (she's usually in the top 10 for most official FE polls) and I can also see her being the default (P1) for Smash Switch.

Roy is the least likely to stay. His moveset just looks way too similar to Marth's and the Smash devs were clearly willing to cut him in both Brawl and Smash 4 before being DLC and I wouldn't be surprised to see Roy cut a third time just to add another FE character (who is hopefully not wielding a sword).

I voted Roy>Robin>Corrin.

Roy is still benefiting from people's obsession with Novelty. Much like Mother 3 people rave over him because the inaccesibility of his game makes them inflate what they think about him. And so his fanbase extends obscenely beyond the amount of people actually willing to play his game.  Of course within the FE community he has fans as well, but also people who think his game is firmly in FE's dark age mechanic and map design wise, not to mention occasional complaints that it has a slightly derivative plot and a cast overall less memorable than the games around it (most notably FE7 and his own father outshining him as a charather while having the same visual design). I have a lot of personal distaste for the means by which Roy attracted his large following, but if you ask me to be honest, the fact that following is in place will help him return. Nintendo won't want to make people feel like it's taking a charather that the fans "earned" through the DLC voting.

Robin will probbably return because 3DS sales, etc. I personally don't like their moveset the least of all FE charathers, but their visibility extends to both  his in-game personality and firsthand experience with Robin's game, even for a large spread of the casual audience (despite being a blank slate in theory). He benefits from the most recent FEH banner, and its worth pointing out that for new users, he has a presence in the pre-download screens, while Fates is represented by Takumi/Camilla instead of Corrin. I think it's also beneficial that the promotional material doesn't divide the Robin's depending on the game (female nohr / male hoshido). 

I hate to place Smash!Corrin the lowest, because  lot of thought went into his moveset and I love how many different thigns he can do out of his side B. People talk about robin being a unique charather, but IMO he's unique in a bad way. having an incentive to space is good fighting charather design, but he's in the unhealthy breed of projectile charther (not neccesarily weak, although most of  the charathers with a decent approach can bully him). Corrin as mentioned has his male/female variants tied to the different Fates games, which slightly reduces his visibility, and while I perosnally like the charather design the fact that his charather design is just as much a showcase of technology advancements (no feet awakening) as part of his actual visual is a minus. At least dragon form is unique compared to the European dragon type. 

I think all three charathers have a high chance of returning despite how they compare to each other internally.

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Roy's moveset could be tweaked even further to distance him even more from Marth? There may not be much to go on. ......Yet. It has been said that IS (specifically, it was Echoes' director, wasn't it? His name escapes me.) has expressed interest in tackling Binding Blade as the next remake. If they actually are doing that, and Sakurai learns of it before too long, Roy could very well be made new again. SoV has elements such as combat arts that could help make a good moveset for Alm and Celica, who's to say a Binding Remake couldn't open new possibilities for Roy as well; plus his game would finally be localized, bolstering his visibility. But of course, it's all up in the air right now, as it tends to be. Obviously, I'm just being very hopeful and for this to actually come to fruition would take as big a miracle as proc'ing Miracle itself in Tellius. I was damn lucky with Pelleas once. It was the last attack on EP and he proc'ed miracle, surviving the turn. Now THAT was a miracle.

Yes, I main Roy too, and I can vouch for SoulWeaver's statement that you have to play Roy more carefully than Marth. I've screwed up his d-air spike and SD'd from it more times than I'd like to admit.

39 minutes ago, Baron the Shining Blade said:

Has anyone ever considered the possibility that Roy's moveset could be tweaked even further to distance him even more from Marth? There may not be much to go on. ......Yet. It has been said that IS (specifically, it was Echoes' director, wasn't it? His name escapes me.) has expressed interest in tackling Binding Blade as the next remake. If they actually are doing that, and Sakurai learns of it before too long, Roy could very well be made new again. SoV has elements such as combat arts that could help make a good moveset for Alm and Celica, who's to say a Binding Remake couldn't open new possibilities for Roy as well; plus his game would finally be localized, bolstering his visibility. But of course, it's all up in the air right now, as it tends to be. Obviously, I'm just being very hopeful and for this to actually come to fruition would take as big a miracle as proc'ing Miracle itself in Tellius. I was damn lucky with Pelleas once. It was the last attack on EP and he proc'ed miracle, surviving the turn. Now THAT was a miracle.

Yes, I main Roy too, and I can vouch for SoulWeaver's statement that you have to play Roy more carefully than Marth. I've screwed up his d-air spike and SD'd from it more times than I'd like to admit.

Roy may struggle to receive a fresh moveset considering his use of only swords and no real changes to movement following promotion; the best thing he has going for him is the long-range properties of the Binding Blade. That said, Smash isn't always known for it's accuracy; Robin uses of Nosferatu despite his class not allowing him to and Ness uses PK Fire, Thunder, Magnet, and Starstorm despite those being moves of his companions, so I don't see why they couldn't exaggerate parts of Roy's movelist for the sake of making him more unique; I think it'd be interesting if he used a mix of the Elibean Legendary weapons.

P.S.: The director's name is Kenta Nakanishi.

5 hours ago, NSSKG151 said:

His moveset just looks way too similar to Marth's and the Smash devs were clearly willing to cut him in both Brawl

Except unused data in Brawl shows he was never meant to be cut in the first place. I don't have any developer insight but the general assumption seems to be that Roy and Mewtwo were cut due to time-constraints. Both of them were brought back by popular demand so i'd be really dumb to cut any of the DLC veterans, not just Roy.

7 hours ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Roy's the most in danger of being cut. Binding Blade is much older than either Awakening or Fates, and it is also Japan only.

This 

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Except unused data in Brawl shows he was never meant to be cut in the first place. I don't have any developer insight but the general assumption seems to be that Roy and Mewtwo were cut due to time-constraints. Both of them were brought back by popular demand so i'd be really dumb to cut any of the DLC veterans, not just Roy.

This isn't necessarily as meaningful as you would think.

Ultimately, being planned and being cut means that the character is low priority. He was a luxury inclusion, cut because the work to finish him could not be completed before the game shipped. 

These days, we have DLC to fix such issues (which was a rare thing on the Wii), which is why he made it into Smash 4. Ultimately, his inclusion will likely be as DLC, if at all.