Stardew advice?

Wanderer-Of-Fates

Hey guys, I started my first playthrough of Stardew Valley (loving it btw) and I decided to specialize in artisan goods. Does anyone have some tips for how to build up to that? I do love RF/HM games- I’m just not the best at them sometimes...

Some info about my farm:

I’m a few days shy of fall 

I have about $22000

Have all tools upgraded once

I have the forest farm

Should I buy a coop or barn? Make more jams?

Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by Wanderer-Of-Fates
Forgot the forest farm bit

If you buy a coop or barn, you’ll need a silo to store feed.  I’d advise a coop first since chickens are a lower investment and are easy to manage while you figure out how to get through winter.  You will also need to dedicate land to growing feed.

1 hour ago, Bubba Jones said:

If you buy a coop or barn, you’ll need a silo to store feed.  I’d advise a coop first since chickens are a lower investment and are easy to manage while you figure out how to get through winter.  You will also need to dedicate land to growing feed.

Ok, thanks for the advice, I'll build a coop then! I totally forgot about the silo so that was a good reminder too, and I'll also dedicate some land to feed.

Definitely get well-stocked on hay before winter!

Try and complete the greenhouse by the end of fall/beginning of winter! Reserve grape and cranberry seeds (cranberries and blueberries are generally the most lucrative). 

A shed can hold a lot of barrels and takes up little space on your farm. Wine is better than jam. Aim to get the last house upgrade ASAP; your basement comes ready-stocked with plenty of casks that can age wines and cheeses and turn them into iridium-level.

A coop is the quicker initial investment but the barn is also very much worth it. Chickens and cows take the same resources (1 hay x day), cows produce milk every day and milk > eggs. 

The only real reason to have rabbits is for the rabbit foot for the community center. Otherwise don’t bother with rabbits. Sheep are a decent investment.  

One very lucrative source of income is to take the Gatherer profession at level 5 foraging, then Botanist at level 10 foraging. Truffles are high-value and count as foraged items, so if you have an upgraded barn and have pigs, you end up gathering doubled gold-star truffles. They’re not strictly artisan goods, though, but I thought I’d mention it anyway! 

3 hours ago, Res said:

Definitely get well-stocked on hay before winter!

Try and complete the greenhouse by the end of fall/beginning of winter! Reserve grape and cranberry seeds (cranberries and blueberries are generally the most lucrative). 

A shed can hold a lot of barrels and takes up little space on your farm. Wine is better than jam. Aim to get the last house upgrade ASAP; your basement comes ready-stocked with plenty of casks that can age wines and cheeses and turn them into iridium-level.

A coop is the quicker initial investment but the barn is also very much worth it. Chickens and cows take the same resources (1 hay x day), cows produce milk every day and milk > eggs. 

The only real reason to have rabbits is for the rabbit foot for the community center. Otherwise don’t bother with rabbits. Sheep are a decent investment.  

One very lucrative source of income is to take the Gatherer profession at level 5 foraging, then Botanist at level 10 foraging. Truffles are high-value and count as foraged items, so if you have an upgraded barn and have pigs, you end up gathering doubled gold-star truffles. They’re not strictly artisan goods, though, but I thought I’d mention it anyway! 

Hey, thanks! This is really helpful! I started building a coop already but I will be building a barn as soon as I have some spare change. I also upgrade my house when I can (I do want to do wine), but I only have the kitchen so far, I’m in the first days of fall right now (year 1). Building a shed is a good idea, I just have a few barrels sitting outside... 

I took the Gatherer profession so far, since I have the forest farm it’s helpful so thanks for the tip there too! I’ll, probably get pigs for truffle oil so I can sell some gathered truffles as well for some good money!