Class names that don't make sense?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Witches are followers or practitioners of either Wicca or modern witchcraft. Witch is also a gender-neutral term. The closest thing the Fire Emblem witches have to real witches is that both are viewed in a negative light; but FE witches are often actually evil.

Villagers shouldn't be on the battlefield without being properly prepared. And I don't meanĀ giving them the correct weapons and a pot on their head.

I thought warlock was the male equivalent of a medieval witch, which is what FE's witches are based off of?

As for villagers, yeah, they shouldn't have been, but they often were ill-equipped due to having to take up arms themselves or being forced into service. Since the class is usually supposed to represent unarmed people trying to escape or, when it is a combat class, characters who just had to make do with what little they had, it seems like it's actually one of the most appropriate class names.

5 hours ago, RedRob said:

A more accurate term would be grim reapers.

I can only imagine how that folklore came to be.

Viking 1: What do you think happens to men who fall in battle?

Viking 2: I imagine their souls are carried away by beings to the afterlife.

Viking 1: You mean like a grim reaper?

Viking 2: Yeah, but as a babe with thick thighs!

Viking 1: I see...

15 minutes ago, NekoKnight said:

This more or less sums up the first episode of Yu Yu Hakusho.Ā 

18 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Dude this is the best thing I've read all week.

On 19.3.2018 at 5:03 AM, NekoKnight said:

Ā 

10 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Dude this is the best thing I've read all week.

Same here.

Though I could imagine that this is accurate, as the Vikings were apparently people who believed paradise entailed bashing each other's heads in during the day, then getting resurrected in the evening, then getting wasted at night and repeating the cycle come morning.

16 hours ago, CyberController said:

Wolfssegner were old men in medieval Germany who created charms to stop wolf attacks. The Wolfssegner in Fates are not old men, and are wolvesĀ themselves.

Which is probably why they are called Ulfhedin-Alpha in the German translation, Ulf being an old Germanic word for wolf. I have no clue what 'hedin' means, though.
(Though I'd like to remind everyone here that no matter how many times Fates will try to convince you, the Wolfskin look nothing like actual wolves at all. If anything, they are more like bears and even that is a stretch. Evidence #343 that Nintendo has no clue which animal is which.)

On that note, the German translation of the Nine Tails class also makes no sense. A Kitsune is still a Kitsune, though the Nine Tails is a 'Fuchsgeist' which translates to 'Fox Spirit'. What, do they die during promotion or something? Why they didn't go for the more obvious 'Neunschwanz' (the accurate way to translate Nine Tails) is beyond me, but... the Germs always need to be something special, I guess.

Edited by DragonFlames

31 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Ā 

Same here.

Though I could imagine that this is accurate, as the Vikings were apparently people who believed paradise entailed bashing each other's heads in during the day, then getting resurrected in the evening, then getting wasted at night and repeating the cycle come morning.

Which is probably why they are called Ulfhedin-Alpha in the German translation, Ulf being an old Germanic word for wolf. I have no clue what 'hedin' means, though.
(Though I'd like to remind everyone here that no matter how many times Fates will try to convince you, the Wolfskin look nothing like actual wolves at all. If anything, they are more like bears and even that is a stretch. Evidence #343 that Nintendo has no clue which animal is which.)

On that note, the German translation of the Nine Tails class also makes no sense. A Kitsune is still a Kitsune, though the Nine Tails is a 'Fuchsgeist' which translates to 'Fox Spirit'. What, do they die during promotion or something? Why they didn't go for the more obvious 'Neunschwanz' (the accurate way to translate Nine Tails) is beyond me, but... the Germs always need to be something special, I guess.

Nine tails are fox spirits though. To the extent that there wikipedia article is even named as such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_spirit

12 hours ago, Icelerate said:

The two should meet up and take over the world. The Hero and Saint Alliance.Ā 

I believe the Japanese for Hero can be translated as "Brave". And fan translations of the Brave weapons have often called them Hero- weapons for this reason. Caellach is certainly brave, or gutsy at least, if evil.

Calling a class just Brave, an adjective, in English comes off as weird. But heroes, nouns, are supposed to be brave people almost by definition, so it works better for a class. Brave being adjective makes it sound better when thrown in front of -Sword, -Lance, -Axe, or -Bow. They could could have called the class Brave Hero though.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I believe the Japanese for Hero can be translated as "Brave". And fan translations of the Brave weapons have often called them Hero- weapons for this reason. Caellach is certainly brave, or gutsy at least, if evil.

Calling a class just Brave, an adjective, in English comes off as weird. But heroes, nouns, are supposed to be brave people almost by definition, so it works better for a class. Brave being adjective makes it sound better when thrown in front of -Sword, -Lance, -Axe, or -Bow. They could could have called the class Brave Hero though.

And there is also the fact that heroes weren't always "good" by definition. Just look at Siegfried in the Niebelungenlied. He was anything but a "hero" by today's standards.
The definition of a hero as someone who does good deeds changed in the 12th century due to stories like King Arthur's Knights of the Round Table and the aforementioned Niebelungenlied. It was all part of a movement to educate the nobility of that time on how to act properly. The works were called "Chivalric romance".
I knew those three years and counting of literature studies would pay off!

Valkyries because I donā€™t recall them using magic.Ā 

Dark Knights also make no sense because theyā€™re unable to wield dark magic.Ā 

I get that strategists wouldnā€™t be on the front lines as theyā€™re more valuable as intel than combat. However, wouldnā€™t they at the very least have more physical defense? It seems unwise for an army to loose a stargetist just because s/he died to a faint breeze.Ā 

Cavaliers were supporters of King Charles IĀ during the English Civil War. And somehow,Ā nobility and commoners can be cavaliers despite horses being expensive. Or maybe it only applies to certain breeds.Ā 

4 hours ago, Paris said:

Valkyries because I donā€™t recall them using magic.Ā 

Dark Knights also make no sense because theyā€™re unable to wield dark magic.

They use magic in the game boy games.