Class names that don't make sense?

6 hours ago, CyberController said:

The odd thing is that FE4 Paladin girls can use staves, like the D&D paladins can use magic.

Princess can use staves and Prince's can't in Genealogy too. Damn sexist game mechanics. Stave wielding Prince!Leif would have been amazing for Thracia.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/18/2018 at 7:59 PM, Hylian Air Force said:

There is a type of Butler that is seen near combat. It is called, I shit you not, a batman. A military officer in the field during the Victorian era had one nearby at all times. Batmen probably had some skill in defending themselves or their masters, purely because they served masters who could possibly be minutes from capture at any moment.

The Weird thing is that that means that the guy named Joker is a batman.

Pity there isn't a serving class in Awakening, otherwise we could call the game "Batman and Robin".

1 hour ago, illegal knight said:

Perhaps they should be renamed as "Rune Knights".

Or they should give Dark Knights dark magic and bring back og Mage Knights.

On 5/24/2018 at 1:30 AM, Jotari said:

Princess can use staves and Prince's can't in Genealogy too. Damn sexist game mechanics. Stave wielding Prince!Leif would have been amazing for Thracia.

Leif getting staves on promotion in Thracia would be worth the slog.

2 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Dread Fighter makes no sense. How is someone supposed to fight dread?

I think the idea is that they are to be dreaded.

With that ruining over, WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH BASARA? I know it's not just the name that's bizarre (I'm always thinking of the Dark Knight Rises), I just do not get the class conceptually at all.

Also, let us never forget that one time brigands were called mountain thieves. 

Xane's class names are also strange. Why Commando in particular?

15 minutes ago, illegal knight said:

Yes that's correct. But since there's Mage Knight in Sacred Stones, perhaps may cause a little confusion like Monk (light magic in Sacred Stones and staff in Fates).

Sword wielding Mage Knights came first. Gameboy Advance and its dumb combining of strength and magic is the one to blame for making things confusing.

Edited by Jotari

On 5/26/2018 at 12:54 AM, CyberController said:

Pity there isn't a serving class in Awakening, otherwise we could call the game "Batman and Robin".

No, pls don't....

Maid or Buttler were enough to made me imagine about a poor Troubadour who carrying heavy debt forced to sell his/her horse to obtain a Master Seal and must "promoted" to be a vassal of a lord.

On 3/18/2018 at 11:41 AM, IfIHadToPickADude said:

Why is a merchant on the battlefield? Why would you BRING A MERCHANT ONTO THE BATTLEFIELD?

Perhaps they were Mercenary's counterpart, since both classes have 1 purpose: money (same as my purpose)? :D:

Honestly, when I saw Merchant or Villager classes, first I think was about the "small picture or symbolic" role about the country (Hoshido) which might had strong policy about conscription. That's why their "civilians" also able to take a part for country's defense.

Ballisticians,  especially in Fates where they look more like cannons than actual ballistae. 

Real ballistae were large catapults that hurled stones or large crossbows that fired spears and required multiple people to use. 

Jake and Beck aren't even real ballisticians, they're carroballisticians. Carroballistae were ballista mounted on a cart and required horses to pull the cart in order for the ballista to move. 

Fates ballistae aren't even ballistae they're cannons and look nothing like ballistae. 

To me the class name that doesn't make any sense is...a lord for some reason.

Lords are the most oddballs simply because they have a high position and yet, instead of getting soldiers or get weapons under stock, they have to recruit people not part of the liberation army...and to buy weapons to fight for their people for some dumb reason. I mean I get why it makes sense gameplay wise but plot wise, its odd really especially when you consider the ranks that Eliwood, Chrom, Hector, Marth, Corrin and Sigurd are in. 

And to recruit other units that the lords can't talk to, you have to use recruited units to recruit them..again odd there.

Gameplay wise also makes them odd. They are the only ones that almost have obnoxious high growth rates in practically every stat compared to the other units and yet, they are for the most part weapon locked. Why can't a lord be capable of using nearly every weapon type if they are the most important part of the games? It really makes no sense for someone like Eliwood to use lances only after getting a promotion. What's the point of someone like Roy to still move barefoot even after a promotion? I get why certain lords are promoted late due to character development and to make the game challenging but the promotion leaves more to be desired to me atleast.

20 hours ago, Exavand said:

Ballisticians,  especially in Fates where they look more like cannons than actual ballistae. 

Real ballistae were large catapults that hurled stones or large crossbows that fired spears and required multiple people to use. 

Jake and Beck aren't even real ballisticians, they're carroballisticians. Carroballistae were ballista mounted on a cart and required horses to pull the cart in order for the ballista to move. 

Fates ballistae aren't even ballistae they're cannons and look nothing like ballistae. 

Their real name is SHOOTER no matter Ballistae or Ballistician, those are the localization names.

Ballistae name comes from the word "ballista", that's you said correctly about the large catapults or crossbows which launch the arrowspates.

Ballistician name comes from the word "ballistic" which have more complex meanings than ballista, so any relating to projectiles or their flight including bow, crossbow, ballista, catapult, and cannon are still under category of the "ballistic" word.

About Jack and Beck, there's info in support conversation with Kris in this trivia about how the Ballistae moves in the world of Fire Emblem.

In Fates SHOOTER wasn't renamed as Ballistae. It renamed as Ballistician since it didn't use catapult or large crossbow, but cannon (even they shooting the massive numbers of arrowspates). That's why it renamed as Ballistician.

Edited by illegal knight

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

To me the class name that doesn't make any sense is...a lord for some reason.

Lords are the most oddballs simply because they have a high position and yet, instead of getting soldiers or get weapons under stock, they have to recruit people not part of the liberation army...and to buy weapons to fight for their people for some dumb reason. I mean I get why it makes sense gameplay wise but plot wise, its odd really especially when you consider the ranks that Eliwood, Chrom, Hector, Marth, Corrin and Sigurd are in. 

And to recruit other units that the lords can't talk to, you have to use recruited units to recruit them..again odd there.

Gameplay wise also makes them odd. They are the only ones that almost have obnoxious high growth rates in practically every stat compared to the other units and yet, they are for the most part weapon locked. Why can't a lord be capable of using nearly every weapon type if they are the most important part of the games? It really makes no sense for someone like Eliwood to use lances only after getting a promotion. What's the point of someone like Roy to still move barefoot even after a promotion? I get why certain lords are promoted late due to character development and to make the game challenging but the promotion leaves more to be desired to me atleast.

What the arrogant words!

The term "Lord" is archaic word for commander-in-chiefs who joins directly on the battlefields and have full responsibilities to lead their armed forces. They aren't neccessary from royalty or nobility figures. They commands every generals and admirals with their entire forces under one flag. Same with "knight", the term used for armored soldiers who stride on battlefields no matter they on horseback or on foot. If you learned about histories, you will not find the word "Lord" or "Warlord" as something-don't-make-sense.

And about the "oddball" things. You don't get it at all, do you? The games not only provides the challenges but also the storylines including the characters in it! Ofcourse the noble-hearted Lords themselves must recruit someone who wasn't included in his/her commands yet! Blue color means those units has under the commands, while other colors are not (yet)! Do you think "since they have high authority, they just enough to sitting idly because someone will begging to join them" will always works on battlefields at the wartimes? Those still-NPCs (green) units fights alone for their own life (and I don't care about their AI) until the Lord approach them, invite them, and gain trust to the Lord (since the Lord themselves comes to help them) that they will safe under the Lord's command (their color changes become the blue one). That's how it works! And not every men in a country loyal to their homeland (moreover the enemy units that obviously often in their own territories), so the Lords unable to recruit them until someone in the Lord's army who knew them so well able to invite them: they agreed to join the command not for the Lord, but for someone who invite them until gradually they changed their perspectives! Beside, the conspiracies and treacheries are commonplace in the war storylines.

Most war games also include about resource managements. The Lords must able to control how many resources needs for the force since wars are costly things. Do you think those weapons and supplies grew on the trees or just picked up on the streets? Or do you think the troops must buy their needs themselves? NO! The commander-in-chiefs must BUY it for them! By war funds! The Lords must provide their men needs for the sake of their safety as well as maintainings their performances on battlefield since they willingly to gave their life for the Lords, and you said that's a DUMB REASON??? Every war gamings mostly include resource managements for unit's upgrades, for restocks, etc, including Fire Emblem, and you said improving and maintaining units are DUMB REASON??? Be grateful that Fire Emblem gameplay didn't include another cost for food or even wages for the units (remember: even there's mercenaries in it)! I can't imagine that if you able to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.

About the weapon locked, what's so "odd" if every unit have their own weapon talents? To master one kind of weapon need times and not all classes able to wield another weapon outside theirs. What's so "odd" when the swordsman Eliwood finaly got his mounts and able to learn to wield lance? What's so "odd" when Roy didn't have any mounts? What's so "odd" if a unit promoted so late? We seems no problem on those things at all. What? Lord must able to wield most weapon types? Damn it! This is Tactical RPG! Every units have their own strength and weakness including the Lord unit! Another units exist for deploys in Tactical-RPGS to use them equally and must covering each others for defeating the enemies, not created the Lords or main units as one-man-army!

What's the "gameplay wise"? What's the "plot wise"? What the hell?! You know nothing how it basically works! Your words made us so upset! You just played FE 6 & 7, but you felt that you knew all Fire Emblem and entire Tactical-RPGs titles, even I doubt you able to finished FE 6 & 7 in hard difficulty. :angry:

5 hours ago, illegal knight said:

What the arrogant words!

The term "Lord" is archaic word for commander-in-chiefs who joins directly on the battlefields and have full responsibilities to lead their armed forces. They aren't neccessary from royalty or nobility figures. They commands every generals and admirals with their entire forces under one flag. Same with "knight", the term used for armored soldiers who stride on battlefields no matter they on horseback or on foot. If you learned about histories, you will not find the word "Lord" or "Warlord" as something-don't-make-sense.

And about the "oddball" things. You don't get it at all, do you? The games not only provides the challenges but also the storylines including the characters in it! Ofcourse the noble-hearted Lords themselves must recruit someone who wasn't included in his/her commands yet! Blue color means those units has under the commands, while other colors are not (yet)! Do you think "since they have high authority, they just enough to sitting idly because someone will begging to join them" will always works on battlefields at the wartimes? Those still-NPCs (green) units fights alone for their own life (and I don't care about their AI) until the Lord approach them, invite them, and gain trust to the Lord (since the Lord themselves comes to help them) that they will safe under the Lord's command (their color changes become the blue one). That's how it works! And not every men in a country loyal to their homeland (moreover the enemy units that obviously often in their own territories), so the Lords unable to recruit them until someone in the Lord's army who knew them so well able to invite them: they agreed to join the command not for the Lord, but for someone who invite them until gradually they changed their perspectives! Beside, the conspiracies and treacheries are commonplace in the war storylines.

Most war games also include about resource managements. The Lords must able to control how many resources needs for the force since wars are costly things. Do you think those weapons and supplies grew on the trees or just picked up on the streets? Or do you think the troops must buy their needs themselves? NO! The commander-in-chiefs must BUY it for them! By war funds! The Lords must provide their men needs for the sake of their safety as well as maintainings their performances on battlefield since they willingly to gave their life for the Lords, and you said that's a DUMB REASON??? Every war gamings mostly include resource managements for unit's upgrades, for restocks, etc, including Fire Emblem, and you said improving and maintaining units are DUMB REASON??? Be grateful that Fire Emblem gameplay didn't include another cost for food or even wages for the units (remember: even there's mercenaries in it)! I can't imagine that if you able to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms series.

About the weapon locked, what's so "odd" if every unit have their own weapon talents? To master one kind of weapon need times and not all classes able to wield another weapon outside theirs. What's so "odd" when the swordsman Eliwood finaly got his mounts and able to learn to wield lance? What's so "odd" when Roy didn't have any mounts? What's so "odd" if a unit promoted so late? We seems no problem on those things at all. What? Lord must able to wield most weapon types? Damn it! This is Tactical RPG! Every units have their own strength and weakness including the Lord unit! Another units exist for deploys in Tactical-RPGS to use them equally and must covering each others for defeating the enemies, not created the Lords or main units as one-man-army!

What's the "gameplay wise"? What's the "plot wise"? What the hell?! You know nothing how it basically works! Your words made us so upset! You just played FE 6 & 7, but you felt that you knew all Fire Emblem and entire Tactical-RPGs titles, even I doubt you able to finished FE 6 & 7 in hard difficulty. :angry:

Man ok first off, the title says class names that don't make sense. Secondly, I played fe6 & 7 and beaten them. The title didn't say anything about whether the classes are based in fire emblem or not. Thirdly, how is what I said insulting to anyone? It's just my damn opinion so how does that ruin you as a fan?

I just find it odd that is it. If it som how offends people, then I am sorry to you all.

6 hours ago, illegal knight said:

Wow dude. Chill.

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 1:22 PM, illegal knight said:

Their real name is SHOOTER no matter Ballistae or Ballistician, those are the localization names.

Ballistae name comes from the word "ballista", that's you said correctly about the large catapults or crossbows which launch the arrowspates.

Ballistician name comes from the word "ballistic" which have more complex meanings than ballista, so any relating to projectiles or their flight including bow, crossbow, ballista, catapult, and cannon are still under category of the "ballistic" word.

About Jack and Beck, there's info in support conversation with Kris in this trivia about how the Ballistae moves in the world of Fire Emblem.

In Fates SHOOTER wasn't renamed as Ballistae. It renamed as Ballistician since it didn't use catapult or large crossbow, but cannon (even they shooting the massive numbers of arrowspates). That's why it renamed as Ballistician.

shooter deez nuts lmao

26 minutes ago, Light Strategist said:

Whisper
Is that an instruction?

Pupil
Likely never seen an inch of combat practice in their lives. Let's throw them into the army!

The original name for Whisper was Spy, I have no idea why they changed it. Spy works so well as the final promotion of a thief as it's basically the ultimate manifestation of what a military thief is.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

The original name for Whisper was Spy, I have no idea why they changed it. Spy works so well as the final promotion of a thief as it's basically the ultimate manifestation of what a military thief is.

Reasonable enough.

12 hours ago, Light Strategist said:

Pupil
Likely never seen an inch of combat practice in their lives. Let's throw them into the army!

If you take a look at the title of this thread it says "Class names that don't make sense", and "Pupil" does make sense for a class name given your definition.

On 07/08/2018 at 5:00 PM, NinjaMonkey said:

If you take a look at the title of this thread it says "Class names that don't make sense", and "Pupil" does make sense for a class name given your definition.

I did specifically state 'Combat Practice'. Launching fireballs at scarecrows is one thing but hitting moving targets is another.