Is it weird that I train every unit competently?

Nope, I do the same. In any game that you can grind (SS, Awakening, Fates BR and Rev and of coarse SoV) I always grind all my units to max. It's mainly an OCD thing with me.

3 minutes ago, Azz said:

Nope, I do the same. In any game that you can grind (SS, Awakening, Fates BR and Rev and of coarse SoV) I always grind all my units to max. It's mainly an OCD thing with me.

I know! I feel the same. It bothers me that Sonia or Zeke are falling behind just because they haven't had as much training as gray or Boey.

I grinded for Revelation since the entire point of the route is to have everyone (and it's otherwise not that fun anyway), but I was kinda turned away from grinding in SoV because post-battle EXP would inevitably make my stronger units, like the Lord, break the level curve at the same time.

Depends on how complete you mean.

I'd not have the patience to go 20/20/20 for every single unit regardless of class (I don't have DLC, so pretend most units were villagers). I didn't ignore anyone either, not even Nomah or Mycen.

Not weird at all. This is the only way to learn every unit and be able to decide if you like them or not. I usually do this with multiple playthroughs where picking and deciding which units I want to invest time into. 

I don't, no. I hate grinding. I hate both the act of mindless grinding itself, and the trivializing of the game that happens afterwards.  I prefer working with and making the best of limited resources.

But hey, too each their own, if you prefer to play that way then you should do so.

I do the same thing, but I try not to do it too much. I still like having the challenges that come a long with not grinding, because it makes things more interesting and makes you have to think through situations more, but I also don't want my units to be too weak. I like to try to have a nice balance when playing. When the game is over with though, I tend to go back and build my characters up even more, not just because it bothers me if I don't, but because I actually enjoy it. Maybe that's a little bit weird, lol. I just have a lot of patience. 

Well, I'd think that I try to get the best use out of all the characters I can deploy. But I'm not going out of my way to ensure that Clive doesn't get completely outperformed by Mathilda or something like that.

Edited by BrightBow

It's more personal choice imo. Don't think it's a bad thing. Just depends how long you want to spend time grinding units into shape. It'd be one thing if it was like conquest and you weren't using exp dlc. When there is limitless experience the only thing that can stop you from grinding to the max is patience

In Sacred Stones, I grinded (ground?) everyone until they were about equal with my Lord (maybe a couple levels below), because I didn't want anyone to die. Post-game, I just did it for fun and also to farm Gold. In Awakening, I did some grinding, but there's not a lot to do unless you have Reeking Boxes, DLC, or are fighting player teams on Casual. I don't think it's wierd to farm unless you get 20/20 people before the last 2-4 chapters in Sacred Stones, and I don't have standards for Awakening. 

Not normally no. However, SoV is a special case for me because you are always going to be deploying everyone outside of dungeons normally. I felt like I had to get everyone promoted, and so I did the extra grinding to make sure no one lagged behind level-wise. I'm glad I did it but there is no way I would be able to do that in Awakening or Fates.

• 1 month later...

Training everyone is quite the waste of time. It is a much better idea to train a couple juggernauts who can fight hordes of enemies and the scrubs either serve as agents of shield or chipping.

I used everyone when I first played Echoes, but didn't grind. It was pretty challenging that way, but the game is still really easy - enough so that you can kind of use whoever you want.

Usually, though, I just use whatever unit is best for a given job (which may not be a trained unit).

I'm pretty guilty of grinding all of my units until they max out, but only because I genuinely enjoy the characters. I am also guilty of using the star jacinth to help with the leveling.

Then I just pick my favorites to have as the main squad for the post-game. Same as any other Fire Emblem.