FE1 Marth

Jotari

So I hear FE1 Marth is pretty good. I'm currently doing my first playthrough of the first game and I'm on Chapter 10. Marh has proven himself pretty decent, especially thanks to the rapier's weapon effectiveness. But I'm a bit concerned about how much I should be using Marth. He's currently at level 11, and while he's good, he can't be reliable left to tank a choke point or anything. I'm wondering how much I should keep using him. I've also heard that Mercurius is an exclusive weapon to Marth that doubles his growths, so I'm almost tempted to just not use him at all until that becomes available. Does that sound in any way reasonable? I know it's pretty late in the game, but also that enemy's generally aren't all that powerful in this game, so I know I'm probably reasonably safe no matter what I do.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:02 AM, Jotari said:

I've also heard that Mercurius is an exclusive weapon to Marth that doubles his growths, so I'm almost tempted to just not use him at all until that becomes available.

His growths aren't doubled; there's a 1/4 chance for a given stat proc to undergo the angel ring effect (check Gryz' explanation here). The effect this could have on Marth's outcome is quite minimal, so I'd advise against postponing his exp gain. The Mercurius' claim to fame is its 18 might and 1 weight.

Liberal use of Marth is always encouraged, and he'll make by and large the best use of any durability boosters you may have.

1 hour ago, Topazd said:

His growths aren't doubled; there's a 1/4 chance for a given stat proc to undergo the angel ring effect (check Gryz' explanation here). The effect this could have on Marth's outcome is quite minimal, so I'd advise against postponing his exp gain. The Mercurius' claim to fame is its 18 might and 1 weight.

Liberal use of Marth is always encouraged, and he'll make by and large the best use of any durability boosters you may have.

Ah. Bit late now. I've just retaken Altea and kept Marth at level 12. The fact that the boost is so minor is even more of a curiosity as to why it exists at all. I was thinking it might be like a crutch in case the player didn't train Marth.