Who's your favorite FE Antagonist?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

Who are your favorite Fire Emblem antagonists? I'm asking because I've noticed Fire Emblem has an antagonist problem and I'd like to just ask who you guys/gals/others think are the best ones based on what you've played.

My personal favorite would be Fernand because once you hear what the man has been through via DLC because fucking why not his actions are much more understandable and you can actually feel bad for him, unlike Berkut who's only sympathetic trait was a throwaway line about a "might makes right" upbringing and a couple post-Alm freakouts.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fanbase.

My personal favorite is Lyon, with Walhart being a close second. Lyon's downfall into darkness is handled well though i do prefer the Ephraim route version where Lyon is fully acting on his own will as opposed to just being possessed. As for Walhart, it comes from mostly from his design though he does have some funny quotes in the DLC maps. But also, Walhart wasn't really evil. The whole thing about him is that he had a good goal but the execution of said goal was wrong.

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The fanbase.

Seconded.

Narcian every time. Dude's a miracle. Second place is Valter because he makes for a very interesting study of insanity, considering he was already kind of off-kilter before he picked up the Cursed Lance and that basically intensified it.

Guest Dreamyboi
6 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

Seconded.

Narcian every time. Dude's a miracle. Second place is Valter because he makes for a very interesting study of insanity, considering he was already kind of off-kilter before he picked up the Cursed Lance and that basically intensified it.

"Thirded" I guess, it's a trainwreck

Anything about Narcian in particular?

Edited by Dreamyboi

Black Knight/Zelgius, no contest. He's so mysterious and kinda badass in PoR, and then he gets a whole lot better in RD where he gets some character development and more explanation for his actions. Also his identity as Zelgius. He's such a well done and well written villain! Also, his BK armor looks cool and his red armor is even cooler imo.

16 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

Anything about Narcian in particular?

His Heroes quotes, for one - I laughed so hard the first time I heard "My talents are legion, my abilities unparalleled" because he just says it so darn hilariously serious, plus "Captivated by my style and grace? HA! Of course you are!" is great too. Then there's how he just about loses his mind during the start of Chapter 4 when Clarine drops probably the best roast in all Fire Emblem on him, his SR and SR+ art…really, the guy makes me wish for a Re:Elibe more than pretty much anyone else in the game because I wanna see him with full VA and varied portraits(plus I can use him if they bring Creature Campaign back).

Just now, Anacybele said:

Black Knight/Zelgius, no contest. He's so mysterious and kinda badass in PoR, and then he gets a whole lot better in RD where he gets some character development and more explanation for his actions. Also his identity as Zelgius. He's such a well done and well written villain! Also, his BK armor looks cool and his red armor is even cooler imo.

He would have ranked higher for me if it weren't for the fact that he goes on about how what matters is one's own strength, not relying on crutches, but goes around with magic impenetrable armor and a legendary sword blessed by Tellius' gods. Don't get me wrong, he's still epic, heck, I use the Black Knight armor for my Mii Fighter in Smash, but I personally don't really count that contradiction as a point in his favor.

1 minute ago, SoulWeaver said:

He would have ranked higher for me if it weren't for the fact that he goes on about how what matters is one's own strength, not relying on crutches, but goes around with magic impenetrable armor and a legendary sword blessed by Tellius' gods. Don't get me wrong, he's still epic, heck, I use the Black Knight armor for my Mii Fighter in Smash, but I personally don't really count that contradiction as a point in his favor.

Yeah, true, but at least he no longer has the armor blessing in RD and still tried to make things fair by offering Ragnell to Greil and all. So he's not simply abusing his "crutches."

Arvis. He has admirable ideals and if Lewyn etc is anything to go by he actually was a very good leader and if it weren't for those pesky loptyr cultists he might have been able to bring about a golden age in the empire.

Edited by Hekselka

Hmm for years my favourite hasn't changed and it's Lyon. I adore him and he's such a tragic character. A close second  though is The Black Kight/Zelgius since his designs are epic and he would probably be my all time favourite if I actually played his games and didn't have such a strong bias for fe8. Arvis deserves a mention since I love his design and recently I replayed fe4.

1 hour ago, Hekselka said:

Arvis. He has admirable ideals and if Lewyn etc is anything to go by he actually was a very good leader and if it weren't for those pesky loptyr cultists he might have been able to bring about a golden age in the empire.

I would also say Arvis, so I agree completely.  There is also his tremendously tragic back story, his favoring of Azel despite not being a full blood brother, and the pain and misery he must have had before his eventual fall.  

I mean Arvis is everything you want in a villain.  

Zelgius and Sephiran, I can't even begin to call them evil because their actions despite being wrong was kind of understandable. The reason behind that was so poignant that I felt so sorry for them. Especially in the second run where Sephiran's true motives are revealed.

Others would be Lyon and Berkut.

5 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:

"Fourthed". Also, myself.

When it comes to actually evil characters, I'd have to pick Ashnard. He is proof that "cartoonishly evil" can work if it's done right. And I enjoy a villain who can't be redeemed morally under any circumstance. It makes it easier to kill them. He's also probably the hardest boss in the franchise, especially on higher difficulties.

If we're talking just antagonists in general, I'll go with Idoun. Her backstory and character just makes me feel sorry for the girl. She is also the only villain I can actually feel sorry for, tbh. The others (especially Sephiran and Zelgius) all have done reprehensible things that make it really hard to feel any kind of sympathy, despite their motives being "good".

Edited by DragonFlames

Hmm. Well of course the fanbase is the biggest villain and fun ruiner but...

I've always liked Sephiran, I like how he is so mysterious and how he plays a much bigger role than you might think. Honorable mention to the Assasins from FE12.

Guest Dreamyboi
5 hours ago, Lewyn said:

I would also say Arvis, so I agree completely.  There is also his tremendously tragic back story, his favoring of Azel despite not being a full blood brother, and the pain and misery he must have had before his eventual fall.  

I mean Arvis is everything you want in a villain.  

I just keep hearing great things about him, can't wait to play FE4 after I scrape everything else off my mile long to do list.

I'm firmly in camp Alvis. Though I have a massive appreciation for Lehran too. Someone mentioned Walhart and I must agree that I really like his character, but I'm not sure I can comfortably say I like him as a villain. As he has piss all screentime during the actual main story (and the arc in general was just woeful). Most of what I like comes from his tenure as a playable characters in the supports and scamble conversations (plus Richard Epcar's beautiful voice acting).

I adore Berkut, he was a joy to watch, and listen to, during my playthrough of SoV. Yes, he was an ass, yes, he did a naughty thing near the end, but I'm a sucker for those who get a bit of redemption right at the end.

...But it's mainly because he's voiced by Ian Sinclair who has a special place in my heart for his phenomenal performance as Ryner Lute.

Honourable mentions to Gharnef (thank you Warriors), Grima (thank you Heroes) and Emperor Hardin.

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, true, but at least he no longer has the armor blessing in RD and still tried to make things fair by offering Ragnell to Greil and all. So he's not simply abusing his "crutches."

The dropping of the armor blessing was what kept him up high in my list of villains, if they hadn't fixed that I would have absolutely hated his hypocrisy. I have mixed feelings about the fight with Greil - yeah, he tried to make things fair, but then Greil said screw it and threw Ragnell away, so the Black Knight promptly…didn't swap his armor out or trade Alondite for a regular blade to stay even with Urvan, which while still a powerful weapon is ultimately just an axe. I just have issues with those kinds of contradictions, especially in people with the 'by your own sweat and blood' mantra. RD BK is definitely higher on my list than PoR BK.

18 minutes ago, SoulWeaver said:

The dropping of the armor blessing was what kept him up high in my list of villains, if they hadn't fixed that I would have absolutely hated his hypocrisy. I have mixed feelings about the fight with Greil - yeah, he tried to make things fair, but then Greil said screw it and threw Ragnell away, so the Black Knight promptly…didn't swap his armor out or trade Alondite for a regular blade to stay even with Urvan, which while still a powerful weapon is ultimately just an axe. I just have issues with those kinds of contradictions, especially in people with the 'by your own sweat and blood' mantra. RD BK is definitely higher on my list than PoR BK.

Oh yeah, RD BK is higher on my list than PoR too. I'm not sure BK had any other blade to use at the time though. His armor though... He'd have shown who he really was right then, so I'm not sure that would've messed up some plans.

Arvis and Nergal.

Arvis is somewhat of a one of a kind villain. He was a well intended villain in a time where those were more rare but he's also a well intended villain who's plan works and who makes good on his pretty speeches, making the world a better place after his victory. It all comes crashing done later but his empire was supposedly pretty great before Manfroy ruined it.

And Nergal is a villain with a real personal connections to the heroes. He doesn't stay in his castle the entire time and doesn't treat the heroes with disinterest when he appears. 

Grima for me. Even before his backstory in Echoes, and more of his personality shown in Heroes, I just loved how Grima had been presented at first in Awakening. Like, everything about him was just depicting him as this terrifying being, a monstrous Eldritch Abomination that came out of nowhere and actually succeeded in ending the world. 

Seriously, how many villains have actually succeeded? Ashera came really damn close, but she was stopped by the heroes. Not Grima though. He actually ENDED the heroes meant to stop him. In fact, the Awakening children tried to stop him by trying to complete the Awakening. But they failed to retrieve one of the Gemstones. The Awakening is incomplete, and Grima actually got a little serious, and the attack resulted in the safe haven that was Ylisstol to end up being set ablaze with only the Awakening children surviving. 

And when we see Lucina face Grima in that flashback, she was TERRIFIED of him. And then he appeared in the present timeline and Lucina lost pretty much all hope. 

Yes, I admit that the endgame and some aspects, Grima was rather disappointing. However, the way he had been presented and then how powerful he was depicted, it was just amazing. 

And the backstory he had gotten and more personality development in Heroes, I just grew to love him all the more. Plus, I admit that them trying to actually fit Grima better into the lore of Fire Emblem since Awakening altered so many things is a big plus in my book. 

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Oh yeah, RD BK is higher on my list than PoR too. I'm not sure BK had any other blade to use at the time though. His armor though... He'd have shown who he really was right then, so I'm not sure that would've messed up some plans.

Now I'm imagining Zelguis stripped down to his shorts to make things fair, but keeping just the helmet on to hide his identity XD

One of the most annoying things about the magic armour, is that it's not even needed for the Black Knight fight. Mist is the only other character there and she's hardly going to be able to damage him anyway. There's no really good gameplay reason as to have it. Except maybe to stop you cheesing the fight with a hammer (like you can in Radiant Dawn), but that could easily be giving him Full Guard.

Edited by Jotari

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Now I'm imagining Zelguis stripped down to his shorts to make things fair, but keeping just the helmet on to hide his identity XD

One of the most annoying things about the magic armour, is that it's not even needed for the Black Knight fight. Mist is the only other character there and she's hardly going to be able to damage him anyway. There's no really good gameplay reason as to have it. Except maybe to stop you cheesing the fight with a hammer (like you can in Radiant Dawn), but that could easily be giving him Full Guard.

lol that'd be hilarious. XD

Yeah, true. I think that blessing was there just for a story thing or something.