Settings you want from a future FE game?

Faellin

What type of setting do you want to see in a future FE game? By this I mean atmosphere, and overall feel of a nation / game. Even if its limited to just one nation. I just feel the traditional medival European design has been done to death and would love to see the series branch out into more themes. I feel Fates did a great job of this with hoshido, being the first actual japanese culture in the series (Well that was actually seen in game)

Personally I would love to see a full on arabian theme for a nation. Closest we got was Jehanna in sacred stones. But I feel the concept could be expanded on in alot of ways.

I resent the idea that Japan was "already done" with Hoshido, because there was little Japanese culture to speak of. The kitsune fought like any beast rather than using their magic and illusions in battle. The one Hoshidan food we ever have mentioned in Hoshido is roasted potatoes - potatoes are not a notable japanese crop, and neither is the practice of roasting food. The Hoshidan government is a kingdom - a concept that is foreign to the Japanese.  Samurai and ninjas were in the game, but they're also in like fifty percent of Japanese games I care about so I was expecting them to dig deeper than that.  So if we absolutely have to do something else, I say do Japan right this time.

Otherwise, I think Fire Emblem settings need to stay right where they are. They've only just started making sensible, medieval armor. Have you seen the generic portraits for Norhian enemies? Best armor designs in the series. 

-Arabian would be good like Plegia that started it so I'd like more!

-Japan again before people say "Fates did it already" it never went deep in it at all compare to how they did with Nohr so I say in the future another go!

-Greek although some games has this theme it never felt that "Greek" so more on the mythos, classes and culture.

But honestly (as of now until Naga knows when new game info comes...) I expect it to be full medival again with the usual different culture character/s thrown in.

I remember liking the Arabian themed designs of games like Suikoden tierkreis and other stuff in which the setting was used so i'm all for a setting like that. It also helps that an Arabian themed setting is also not a huge departure from what they usually do. Of course they do need to change desert chapters because having a lot of those would be a giant pain.

I would like a more modern setting, maybe something WW1-esque. I love that aesthetic in Valkyria Chronicles and recently playing through FF XV has made me think more about fantasy worlds that have progressed through time to have cars and the like, but magic is still a part of their every day society.

Honestly, a nordic theme could be rather interesting. Although I'd imagine it would be difficult to craft.

38 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'd love to see a Greco-Roman or Celtic kingdom in a future game.

@Von Ithipathachai Bro, FE1 and 3 are supposed to be themed after Greco-Roman stuff. FE4 is HEAVILY themed after celtic stuff.

8 minutes ago, Modamy said:

I would like a more modern setting, maybe something WW1-esque.

I honestly am not sure if that would fit Fire Emblem or not. I imagine that fitting more with an advanced wars title or something honestly. Still an interesting idea though.

1 minute ago, CatManThree said:

Honestly, a nordic theme could be rather interesting. Although I'd imagine it would be difficult to craft.

@Von Ithipathachai Bro, FE1 and 3 are supposed to be themed after Greco-Roman stuff. FE4 is HEAVILY themed after celtic stuff.

Really?  Aside from Marth's getup, FE1 hardly looks Greco-Roman to me, FE3 even less so.

Likewise, FE4 doesn't look very Celtic to me, even if they use a lot of Gaelic names.

Though, perhaps in either case what I have in mind might be a little more ancient.

• 2 weeks later...

A true medieval Europe setting. FE has not fully explored such a setting, as it always presents a more fairy tale like version than a historically accurate version. It would mean a darker game. It could include kingdoms with politics, fancy wigs and hats with local lords wearing them, a church abusing its power, even witchhunts. The war of the game could be inspired by real life conflicts, with the lord being a heir to the throne. No good kingdom, evil empire, just financially driven empires. Rebelios could be a thing, that are inspired by the French revolution. There would be two options for I.S. if they decide to go with this. Make it a human conflict. Or go with a more fantasy like. Dark magic is forbidden by the church and thus the witchhunts. Light magic is exclusive to priests, anima magic to scholars. Dragons would be there and posiible dark magic could come from a devil like dragon. Light magic used from the church from the divine dragons. But that us just fanfic, no way IS would go fot it.

I would enjoy an Arabian, Ancient Chinese, Gothic, or streampunk take, as well as more Japanese and European inspired games.

Being Latino I'm biased but I think it would be cool to see a game inspired by the Spanish conquest of the Americas. Or at least a nation in a game based on the Aztecs or Mayans.

37 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

I would enjoy an Arabian, Ancient Chinese, Gothic, or streampunk take, as well as more Japanese and European inspired games.

Being Latino I'm biased but I think it would be cool to see a game inspired by the Spanish conquest of the Americas. Or at least a nation in a game based on the Aztecs or Mayans.

I'd love to see this too, though I'm not sure what kind of classes the Aztec-eqsue side would have.

1 hour ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

I'd love to see this too, though I'm not sure what kind of classes the Aztec-eqsue side would have.

It would be easy to adapt mercenaries, soldiers, and fighters just with an Aztec aesthetic. There could be a focus on dark magic and introduce water/earth magic as part of anima. For their mounts they could go a little wild and have jaguar riders (fast and powerful but low defense cavaliers) and feathered snake riders (fliers).

1 hour ago, Book Bro said:

It would be easy to adapt mercenaries, soldiers, and fighters just with an Aztec aesthetic. There could be a focus on dark magic and introduce water/earth magic as part of anima. For their mounts they could go a little wild and have jaguar riders (fast and powerful but low defense cavaliers) and feathered snake riders (fliers).

I thought that maybe Mercenaries would be better for the European kingdom and the Aztec kingdom would get Myrmidons.

Since the Aztec kingdom doesn't necessarily have to adhere exactly to real-world history, they could get Wyvern Riders/some other equivalent and have some type of flightless dragon for their ground cavalry.  Meanwhile, the European kingdom's mounts would be horse-based Cavaliers and Pegasus Riders.

The Aztec kingdom could also get a shape-shifter class that transforms into a jaguar, while the European kingdom would get regular Manaketes.

I'd like to see the FE world actually have different cultures for each kingdom that shows up. Even if not all of them are fleshed out it makes that world feel more like an actual world. It is what I will give credit to Fates for. The main two kingdoms do feel actually distinct from one another instead of Medieval Kingdom 1 - 4. They just need to expand that into the other kingdoms and give us some actual world building for them. If them being too radically different would be a problem then just base them all of more then just the same couple of European countries. Europe is huge and there is a lot more that can be done with their culture then what IS does.

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion, and this has been coming to mind as of late, I want to see Fire Emblem to have a setting in the style of the Viking Era, I just want to see how it would be handled by IS 

• 1 month later...

Isn't there already a topic for this (If the next game had a new cultural "theme" what should it be?) or is there a particular difference between this one and that one?

In any case, it would be nice to see a Celtic Kingdom in the next game. In addition to a Celtic aesthetic potentially looking really cool, there are other reasons why such a kingdom could be really great:

Perhaps this kingdom could use druids instead of mages, but, in addition to "Elder magic (dark magic)", the druids utilize various nature-based spells? Celtic Mythology is full of that kind of magic; including voluntary shapeshifting, involuntary shapeshifting, utilizing the forest itself in a major battle (think that scene in the second Lord of the Rings movie; only enchantment, rather than talking trees), etc. On a related note, given the voluntary shapeshifting, perhaps this could be a kingdom where humans and the game's equivalent of laguz or manaketes live together in peaceful cooperation. 

Celtic Mythology is also full of magic swords, which means 1-2 range swords that fire sword beams could return through such a kingdom.

Since it's FE, perhaps this kingdom reveres a red dragon, and one of its opposing kingdoms reveres a white dragon? I wonder how many people will understand this one if you don't, let me know and I'll explain it. 

One type of armour popular throughout European history, and started by the Ancient Celts, that has never appeared in FE as far as I'm aware is mail, and this has likely been due to limitations in art style and graphics among other things. Including mail for the first time in an FE game by using a Celtic Kingdom could be really cool.