Why was Mila degenerating?

I can buy why Duma kept degenerating, he most likely stayed until dragon form cause of his love for strength. But Mila is very clearly shown to be in her Manakete form, possibly even holding her dragonstone in the cutscene where she fights Rudolf. But taking a human form is supposed to keep a dragon from going insane. So why was she degenerating?

Actually, there's questions on whether Mila and Duma actually took Manakete forms. Manakete form isn't actually the ability to take human form. It's the case of sealing your dragon powers into a stone, hence why it is called a Dragonstone. But Mila and Duma may never have. Instead, Mila and Duma are able to assume human form, but never had sealed their dragon powers away. In fact, the very fact that both Rigel and Valentia has their blessings on it is a sign that they never stopped using their dragon power. So the more they kept using it over and over, their minds degenerated more and more from that power.

Even if she had taken Manakete form, her and Duma's fates were kind of sealed. The Dragonstone solution only works in addition to the Seal of Seals being complete, and when it's not like it was at the time of Echoes, all a Dragonstone does is delay the degeneration, not serve as a means to prevent it.

TLDR, had FE3 happened when FE1 did, FE15 never would have happened.

Of note, this degeneration still being a threat without the sheild being complete carries over to FE13, however it is not a crucial plot point there unlike 3, just shown to still be a thing from Tiki still basically comatosing herself and draining her power, only to use it in emergencies, and Nah is implied to be actively degenerating by Anankos in Fates' Hidden Truths

Edited by MCProductions

21 minutes ago, MCProductions said:

Even if she had taken Manakete form, her and Duma's fates were kind of sealed. The Dragonstone solution only works in addition to the Seal of Seals being complete, and when it's not like it was at the time of Echoes, all a Dragonstone does is delay the degeneration, not serve as a means to prevent it.

Actually, that was in regards to Tiki only. Not to every dragon in general. Tiki was too young or too power, or both, that it required the completed Shield of Seals to hold back Tiki's degeneration. Along with the higher calling of keeping the Earth Dragons asleep.

23 minutes ago, MCProductions said:

Of note, this degeneration still being a threat without the sheild being complete carries over to FE13, however it is not a crucial plot point there unlike 3, just shown to still be a thing from Tiki still basically comatosing herself and draining her power, only to use it in emergencies, and Nah is implied to be actively degenerating by Anankos in Fates' Hidden Truths

Nah already shows that she has destructive urges in her support with Female Robin.

But Tiki doesn't need the Shield of Seals cause apparently they found a way for Tiki to seal her own power through a ritual, and the same ritual is used to regain some of it. 

From what I could guess, for more powerful dragons taking human form only delays degeneration instead of fully preventing it. Anankos took human form and had a Dragonstone and that didn't stop him from degenerating, so Mila and Duma probably work on a similar principle.

9 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

From what I could guess, for more powerful dragons taking human form only delays degeneration instead of fully preventing it. Anankos took human form and had a Dragonstone and that didn't stop him from degenerating, so Mila and Duma probably work on a similar principle.

I recommend not using Fates' logic that is already rather weak to begin with. Instead of taking Manakete forms, the First Dragons save for Anankos and the Rainbow Sage ended up taking Astral forms. 

8 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Huh, I don't think I ever caught that... What exactly did he say?

She isn't actively degenerating. 

Severa: That sounds familiar. A friend of ours can turn into a dragon as well. She said sometimes she gets an incredible urge to rampage a bit. Is that what you mean?

It was just a case of her sometimes getting the urge to wreck havoc. This is presumably not just because she's a dragon, but also because she's half dragon. Her urges may be harder to control. It's also mentioned in Nah's support conversation with Female Robin.

22 minutes ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. I just want to know the original quote so I can decide for myself.

That is the original quote. Severa says that to Anankos in response to when he explains his degeneration. However, if you mean the support dialogue with Female Robin, here:

C Support
Avatar: HEY! Nah! What in blazes do you think you're doing?!
Nah: Oh, hey, Avatar. What's the trouble?
Avatar: What's the TROUBLE? You Turning into a dragon and crashing through the countryside!
Nah: Oh. That. ...Sorry.
Avatar: Sorry isn't good enough!
Nah: Look, it's just something I have to do.
Avatar: And why, pray tell, is that?
Nah: Every now and then, I get this incredible urge to just... run amok. It's like a really horrible itch that HAS to be scratched. So I turn into a dragon and rampage for a bit. It's genetic or ...something.
Avatar: What about the people who get hurt on these little strolls of destruction?!
Nah: Oh, gosh, I would never do that! Never! I always go somewhere nice and quiet where there's no one around. Then I just sort of unleash myself on trees and bushes and stuff. My record is thirty giant firs in a single rampage! Pretty impressive, huh?
Avatar: Well, I... suppose that is impressive. But are you sure it's safe?
Nah: Er, like I might hurt myself on a sharp branch or something?
Avatar: Something like that. ...Listen, Nah. You think I could watch the next time you do this?
Nah: Oh, sure. That would be no problem. In fact, it'd make it more fun!
Avatar: Er, fun? Maybe this isn't such a good idea after all...
-

B Support
Nah: *Yawn* What a great rampage... I'm going to sleep well tonight!
Avatar: I don't think I've ever seen anything so terrifying in all my life... Dragons are ferocious beasts when they want to be!
Nah: I bet you're afraid I'm going to smoosh somebody around here into jelly, huh?
Avatar: Huh? Oh, n-no. Of course not. I'm sure it's quite safe...
Nah: Liar, liar, pantaloons aflame! Just remember, I only rampage if there's no one around. It's perfectly safe.
Avatar: I'm sure you're right. Who could you hurt in such an isolated spot?
Nah: Exactly! I'm not an idiot, you know. I've been doing this for a while.
Avatar: ...Still, it makes me wonder why you have such urges in the first place. I assumed it was something instinctual in your species... But there's no record of your mother ever doing it. In fact, I've never heard of any manakete engaging in such behavior!
Nah: Beats me. Hmm... The other manaketes have always been true-bloods, right? As far as I know, I'm the only half-human manakete that's ever lived.
Avatar: You think it's something from your human side that compels you?
Nah: Hey, I dunno. I just work here. All I know is that I have to do it, whether we like it or not!
Avatar: Well, if you don't mind, I'm going to keep coming on these little trips of yours.
Nah: Hey, it's your funeral. Kidding! I'm kidding. ...Ha ha?
-

A Support
Nah: Hee hee! Oh, gods, that was fun! That was the best rampage EVER!
Avatar: Here, Nah. Have some water.
Nah: Thanks!
Avatar: Gracious, you certainly took it up another notch today. It's a good thing we're in such an isolated spot here.
Nah: Gods, yeah. Can you imagine me running amok in the middle of town?!
Avatar: A grim thought indeed. But listen, I have a theory about why you need to rampage. I think they're a way for your dragon side to get some exercise.
Nah: Hmm, yeah. Could be. Is exercise something you humans do a lot?
Avatar: Most of us, yes. It's a great way to get rid of stress and blow off steam. And the healers say regular exercise is the key to good health.
Nah: Do you uproot trees?
Avatar: Er, no, not usually. In fact, almost never.
Nah: Oh. That's too bad. Uprooting trees is my favorite bit. Oh, so the other day in a village I saw a lady screaming at her husband. She was chasing him around the square with this huge rolling pin. Then she went in the house, threw his stuff out the window, and stomped on it. Was that exercise? 'Cause it sure looked like a good workout.
Avatar: Er, no. That's something different. Although I wager she was blowing off steam...
Nah: Hmm. Well, it seems that my exercise needs to be destructive. I can't stop until I've splintered some trees or torn up a swathe of undergrowth.
Avatar: It's a good thing we have plenty of forest to spare.
Nah: Oh, and I feel much better running amok if you're here with me.
Avatar: Because I can make sure that you don't destroy anything important?
Nah: Because forests are dark and scary and have lots of ghosts. But when you're around, I'm not scared one little bit!
Avatar: Heh. Sometimes I forget there's a little girl inside that monstrous beast.
Nah: So you ARE going to keep coming out with me for my exercises, aren't you?
Avatar: Of course. I've grown quite fond of them, and of you... You're like the little sister I never had... and I guess the big monster I never had, too!
Nah: YAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nah is regarded as the first half-Manakete in the world they are in. So this is why Nah's case is much more different than any other Manaketes.

51 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

That is the original quote. Severa says that to Anankos in response to when he explains his degeneration. However, if you mean the support dialogue with Female Robin, here:

I meant the quote about Anankos implying Nah is degenerating in Hidden Truths in Fates, not the supports (not sure why the Awakening supports even came into the picture because I specifically quoted the part about Hidden Truths). Unless you're implying said quote does not exist and MCProductions just remembered wrong, which is possible.

Edited by SatsumaFSoysoy

1 minute ago, SatsumaFSoysoy said:

I meant the quote about Anankos implying Nah is degenerating in Hidden Truths in Fates, not the supports (not sure why the Awakening supports even came into the picture because I specifically quoted the part about Hidden Truths). Unless you're implying said quote does not exist and MCProductions just remembered wrong, which is possible.

Here it is then:

Anankos: Yes. It's the tale of the dragon that helped to build this kingdom. This dragon loved humans with all of his heart. So he gave them knowledge and longevity. He even chose to live among them. He was especially close with a long line of great kings, whom he spent much time with. But hundreds of years ago, the dragon realized something terrible. His ancient animal instincts were beginning to invade his thoughts. Though he adored his kingdom, he also felt an intense desire to destroy it. Each day, those feelings grew stronger, and his control over them began to wane.

Severa: That sounds familiar. A friend of ours can turn into a dragon as well. She said sometimes she gets an incredible urge to rampage a bit. Is that what you mean?

Anankos: Hmm, perhaps it was something very similar to that. But as the dragon had tremendous power, those urges were also tremendous. He knew someday those urges would drive him mad, and the thought terrorized him. That is why he left an ancient and powerful song with the Vallite king of the time.

I figured it was because Mila's power was unsealed as opposed to the majority of it being sealed in an external source.

14 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Dragons in Archanea are different then Fates Dragons. To use an obvious example, Medeus, the Shadow Dragon, stayed sane.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I find it hard to believe that Nah of all people would be hit by degeneration. 

If Bantu, who was already an insanely old dragon during Marth's time wasn't only fine then, but thousands of years later, as mentioned by Nowi, I don't see how a kid half-dragon would be degenerating. Seems like dragon stones more or less halt completely. 

Which would likely mean that Mila and Duma never sealed their powers. As mentioned, both of them constantly exerting physical influence across the continent is likely meant to imply that they're always using their full powers. 

Which really only leads to me wondering "What the hell, Naga". You were paranoid about even setting foot on Jugdral or letting Holsety stay there because you didn't want to sully human land that had remained largely untouched by dragonkind, and the second most powerful clan of dragons was more or less exterminated in a war over dragons sealing their powers away. You lead the side that was saying "let's seal our powers away to stop degeneration and so we can live peacefully with humans". 

Why the hell did Duma and Mila just get to hang out as full dragons all the time, clearly degenerating for God knows how long, when they're RIGHT next door to the continent where you and your dragon buddies like to hang out? Did Naga never take two seconds to go deal with these ticking timebombs beyond lending a second Falchion?

It seems directly contradictory to how Naga acted in Jugdral. 

"A potential dark dragon is using humans to commit atrocities. Let's lend our blood so these humans can fight back and channel our powers without us needing to be there, because we can't drag another civilization into our affairs." 

To "Two divine dragons are full-on degenerating. Here's my tooth, hopefully somebody who can use it will stop by. If not... Well, sucks to be anyone on that hunk of land! Later! There's another dark dragon problem happening in my neck of the woods, I can't be bothered to stop two of my clan, who are far and away the most powerful dragon clan, from wrecking havoc."

4 hours ago, Slumber said:

If Bantu, who was already an insanely old dragon during Marth's time wasn't only fine then, but thousands of years later, as mentioned by Nowi, I don't see how a kid half-dragon would be degenerating. Seems like dragon stones more or less halt completely. 

Which would likely mean that Mila and Duma never sealed their powers. As mentioned, both of them constantly exerting physical influence across the continent is likely meant to imply that they're always using their full powers. 

Which really only leads to me wondering "What the hell, Naga". You were paranoid about even setting foot on Jugdral or letting Holsety stay there because you didn't want to sully human land that had remained largely untouched by dragonkind, and the second most powerful clan of dragons was more or less exterminated in a war over dragons sealing their powers away. You lead the side that was saying "let's seal our powers away to stop degeneration and so we can live peacefully with humans". 

Why the hell did Duma and Mila just get to hang out as full dragons all the time, clearly degenerating for God knows how long, when they're RIGHT next door to the continent where you and your dragon buddies like to hang out? Did Naga never take two seconds to go deal with these ticking timebombs beyond lending a second Falchion?

"A potential dark dragon is using humans to commit atrocities. Let's lend our blood so these humans can fight back and channel our powers without us needing to be there, because we can't drag another civilization into our affairs." 

To "Two divine dragons are full-on degenerating. Here's my tooth, hopefully somebody who can use it will stop by. If not... Well, sucks to be anyone on that hunk of land! Later! There's another dark dragon problem happening in my neck of the woods, I can't be bothered to stop two of my clan, who are far and away the most powerful dragon clan, from wrecking havoc."

This is why I theorize that Naga may have some form of clairvoyance. Before degeneration even occurred, Mila says that Naga knew that dragons would fall to ruin and madness. She gave Duma Falchion knowing that one day a human would use it to put an end to him and his sister. In fact, somehow there's even a prophecy as said by Rudolf that two born with the Brand would save Valentia. 

Also, the case could be made that even by knowing the future, there's no guarantee you can even stop it. For example, Claud in FE4 explains that he already knows the fate of the army in Belhalla, but he says it is impossible to avoid no matter what. Also, the Valkyrie Staff and quintessence serve less as a life force or soul thread and more of a cosmic force, as those that are not destined to die can be revived by the Valkyrie Staff. But those that are, like Lewyn for example, cannot be revived with the staff. Though Lewyn is revived by Forseti, but the FE4 opening scene that shows a Forseti reviving Lewyn using the Valkyrie Staff is likely to explain it with gameplay mechanics.

So some cases of destiny of future events simply cannot be altered despite knowing it. 

Not sure if we're still on the topic of why Mila was degenerating, but...maybe it's because she kept using her power to raise crops?  Perhaps, the more dragons exert themselves, the quicker they degenerate?  And that's why Mila was in the same sorry state as Duma?

Just spitballing ideas, here.

Edited by FionordeQuester

On 3/26/2018 at 10:17 AM, Slumber said:

Well Duma and Mila were fine for most of their history. It's only recently they started acting up. For a long time they had the whole divine accord and peace. And Naga really doesn't know where or why the degeneration is happening. It could be directly linked to the land of Archanea for all she knows (and that might even be true given Mila and Duma degenerate later, if they're not manaketes). It might also just be down to a difference of opinion over time. Mila and Duma's actions and the human's dependency could very well be the reason she chose not to let dragons interfer with Jugdral. According to the timeline, the Miracle of Darna happened only a few decades before Naga died.

On the main subect, the fact that Gotoh is worried about Tiki means that Dragonstones aren't 100% effective, there are diminishing circumstances. Tiki's young age and power seem to be what puts her at more risk. Duma and Mila are obviously much older than Tiki, but they could be just as powerful as her. Which means even as manaketes they risk degeneration. However, because they are manaketes' they didn't degenrate thousands of years ago like all the earth dragons and ice dragons etc. If this is the explanation, then it means Tiki will eventually one day go insane, if she lives long enough. :(:

Edited by Jotari

39 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Well Duma and Mila were fine for most of their history. It's only recently they started acting up. For a long time they had the whole divine accord and peace. And Naga really doesn't know where or why the degeneration is happening. It could be directly linked to the land of Archanea for all she knows (and that might even be true given Mila and Duma degenerate later, if they're not manaketes). It might also just be down to a difference of opinion over time. Mila and Duma's actions and the human's dependency could very well be the reason she chose not to let dragons interfer with Jugdral. According to the timeline, the Miracle of Darna happened only a few decades before Naga died.

On the main subect, the fact that Gotoh is worried about Tiki means that Dragonstones aren't 100% effective, there are diminishing circumstances. Tiki's young age and power seem to be what puts her at more risk. Duma and Mila are obviously much older than Tiki, but they could be just as powerful as her. Which means even as manaketes they risk degeneration. However, because they are manaketes' they didn't degenrate thousands of years ago like all the earth dragons and ice dragons etc. If this is the explanation, then it means Tiki will eventually one day go insane, if she lives long enough. :(:

Some theorize that the degeneration may be a result of the Ending Winter of Elibe, as there was a magical drought and thus the Archanean dragons that relied on magic that acted basically as their oxygen decreased, so it made them grow made and insane. I'm not subscribed to that theory since Elibe Dragons grew weaker from the Ending Winter and couldn't maintain their form, but the Archanean dragons can but they have too much power and it drives them insane. The theory also describes that Archanea is the world that is beyond the Dragon's Gate. 

But if there is any connection, the only thing I can surmise is that Elibe and Archanea were once in balance in magical energies. However, when the Ending Winter occurred, it caused the balance of magical power to shift. Elibe lost much of it's power, while Archanea gained it. This caused the Archanean dragons to have too much power and now they are growing too powerful to handle themselves, thus becoming mindless beasts. 

I wouldn't say that Mila and Duma are as strong as Tiki. Tiki clearly seems to be implied to be just as, if not even more powerful than Naga herself. I mean, even by Awakening, Tiki still never uses her full power as she mentioned that she's only drawn out some of her powers through the ritual, meaning that alongside the dragonstone, the energy has been sealed elsewhere. Future Past 3 definitely shows how powerful Tiki is since she takes Naga's place and performs the Awakening, meaning that she's that strong now that she no longer has her powers sealed. 

I believe that the dragon powers is the source of the degeneration. You keep using it, you risk losing yourself. This would explain why Gotoh, Xane, and even Bantu at the end of New Mystery, discarded their Dragonstones. They lose the ability to become dragons, but in exchange, they never have to worry about degeneration. So if Tiki turned into a dragon, she risks the same risk as other dragons, who would soon be overwhelmed by the power. 

5 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Some theorize that the degeneration may be a result of the Ending Winter of Elibe, as there was a magical drought and thus the Archanean dragons that relied on magic that acted basically as their oxygen decreased, so it made them grow made and insane. I'm not subscribed to that theory since Elibe Dragons grew weaker from the Ending Winter and couldn't maintain their form, but the Archanean dragons can but they have too much power and it drives them insane. The theory also describes that Archanea is the world that is beyond the Dragon's Gate. 

But if there is any connection, the only thing I can surmise is that Elibe and Archanea were once in balance in magical energies. However, when the Ending Winter occurred, it caused the balance of magical power to shift. Elibe lost much of it's power, while Archanea gained it. This caused the Archanean dragons to have too much power and now they are growing too powerful to handle themselves, thus becoming mindless beasts. 

I wouldn't say that Mila and Duma are as strong as Tiki. Tiki clearly seems to be implied to be just as, if not even more powerful than Naga herself. I mean, even by Awakening, Tiki still never uses her full power as she mentioned that she's only drawn out some of her powers through the ritual, meaning that alongside the dragonstone, the energy has been sealed elsewhere. Future Past 3 definitely shows how powerful Tiki is since she takes Naga's place and performs the Awakening, meaning that she's that strong now that she no longer has her powers sealed. 

I believe that the dragon powers is the source of the degeneration. You keep using it, you risk losing yourself. This would explain why Gotoh, Xane, and even Bantu at the end of New Mystery, discarded their Dragonstones. They lose the ability to become dragons, but in exchange, they never have to worry about degeneration. So if Tiki turned into a dragon, she risks the same risk as other dragons, who would soon be overwhelmed by the power. 

Tiki is said to be strong enough to destroy the world, so her untapped potential is probably Grima levels, but I wouldn't at all underestimate the power of Mila and Duma. Mila can control the weather and revive the dead, the latter of which she manages to do even after she's sealed (or possibly dead, seems she's at the same status as Awakening Naga).

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Tiki is said to be strong enough to destroy the world, so her untapped potential is probably Grima levels, but I wouldn't at all underestimate the power of Mila and Duma. Mila can control the weather and revive the dead, the latter of which she manages to do even after she's sealed (or possibly dead, seems she's at the same status as Awakening Naga).

I do not recall Mila controlling weather. Though I am aware that she is no doubt very powerful, since she's the only entity that we know is able to perform so many full revivals. Those revival springs are supplied by her power after all. And she is dead. Though Duma says that him and Mila will sleep, they are definitely dead now, since Mila's body was clearly destroyed with just her head remaining, and Duma's body is clearly degrading, so him being beaten is him dying as well. Their remains is what creates Mila's Tree and Demon's Ingle by Awakening. 

8 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I do not recall Mila controlling weather. Though I am aware that she is no doubt very powerful, since she's the only entity that we know is able to perform so many full revivals. Those revival springs are supplied by her power after all. And she is dead. Though Duma says that him and Mila will sleep, they are definitely dead now, since Mila's body was clearly destroyed with just her head remaining, and Duma's body is clearly degrading, so him being beaten is him dying as well. Their remains is what creates Mila's Tree and Demon's Ingle by Awakening. 

I mean, it's not specifically said that she controls the weather. But there is a drout without her and how else would she be blessing the crops to grow? The only alternative is if she was giving her power to every individual seed in Sofia, which isn't really lesser of a feet. So yeah, regardless of how powerful they are compared to Tiki, they are immensely powerful to the extent that the logic holds, immense power = risk of degeneration. Unless the risk of Tiki degenerating is based entirely on her age,  which for some reason I just don't find likely (if the court is willing to receive Awakening content as evidence, then I'd put forth the, probably not mad, but definitely very young Nowi).

Edited by Jotari

Just now, Jotari said:

I mean, it's not specifically said that she controls the weather. But there is a drout without her and how else would she be blessing the crops to grow? The only alternative is if she was giving her power to every individual seed in Sofia, which isn't really lesser of a feet. So yeah, regardless of how powerful they are compared to Tiki, they are immensely powerful to the extent that the logic holds, immense power = risk of degeneration. Unless the risk of Tiki degenerating is based entirely on her age,  which for some reason I just don't find likely (if the court is willing to receive Awakening content as evidence, then I'd put forth the, probably not made, but definitely very young Nowi).

How? If she can bring people back to life, what's stopping her from using her powers to accelerate the production and growth of crops from seeds and such? 

Warriors Tiki mentions to Navarre that due to her age, she is too immature to use her powers, and it would take another one to two thousand years before she can. Nah also mentions that Manaketes maturity also grow in proportion to their physical age. Meaning that Tiki back then and Nowi in Awakening, act like kids because they are still kids for dragons, and thus they have the maturity of kids. So Tiki's risk is that she's too young as a dragon and too immature. And if she has as much power as Naga herself, then she would definitely degenerate without the right precautions. 

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

How? If she can bring people back to life, what's stopping her from using her powers to accelerate the production and growth of crops from seeds and such? 

Warriors Tiki mentions to Navarre that due to her age, she is too immature to use her powers, and it would take another one to two thousand years before she can. Nah also mentions that Manaketes maturity also grow in proportion to their physical age. Meaning that Tiki back then and Nowi in Awakening, act like kids because they are still kids for dragons, and thus they have the maturity of kids. So Tiki's risk is that she's too young as a dragon and too immature. And if she has as much power as Naga herself, then she would definitely degenerate without the right precautions. 

Well yeah, I said she could be fueling the life of every seen directly. Which is probably a greater feet than controlling the weather. Though given that there's a drout without her, I'm inclined  to think she was using the simpler method of just making it rain and sunny when needed.