Fire emblem in ready player one?

PB&J

(Hope i'm posting this in the right thread) So I don't know if this is true because it's from wiki or if a lot of people heard of this but apparently it is said that Marth, ike, and corrin are gonna be seen in ready player one along with other Nintendo characters in it. Me personalty I don't think i'm gonna see it but if this is true how does it make you feel?

Normally, I don't put too much faith in movies based on games, there weren't any who actually made any sucess or pleased the fans, I guess it's because they are just too much different things, but who knows? Maybe this time it can work. In any case, I wait for it to launch before saying anything.

Edited by DarkSoul

I read the book... and this kind of rumor makes no sense.

The main conceit of Ready Player One was that the virtual reality was made up of things from 1980 culture,. I think the main video games featured  in the novel IIRC were the text adventure Zork, Pac-man,  The Tempest and Ultima 1.

The virtual reality technology in the novel DOES support modern games (from its 2011 perspective) but relatively few people (in-universe) played them, because essentially the person who made the virtual reailty made all the main hub worlds etc into his 1980-85 playground (and that's where the competetion and scanvenger hunts that drive the novel take place)

The novel's breadth of pop culture expanded slightly further forward in time for anime/live action shows, but the range of video games it had a serious focus on was quite specific.

I have heard that some more modern things are being put in (eg overwatch), but I think those are going to be few and far between, not to mention being only able to get cameo roles, since all the videogames that affect the plot should already be set in stone.

I think that the only Nintendo charathers to have any business in this movie are the ones with Arcade Roots, since the kind of period approiate games used in the books are even pre-NES. The book almost exclusively used (early)arcade, Apple computer, and things like Atari, to define its setting.

Fire Emblem in particular faces the problems of Nintendo licensing (and while Spielberg is quite cabable of putting up money compable to what Disney did for Wreck it Ralph's cameo). There is also the utter inapproiateness of Fire Emblem to the setting. (The Famicom games had a low import history, and given the prefernce for the American home computer market and arcade (eg midway wiliams) hard to justify Fire Emblem over eg, Pool of Radiance / Rebelstar (themselves 2 and 4 years later than the median video game in the book compared to FE1's 6 year too late)  Fire Emblem is also problematic as a medivel-fantasy derived series, since Ultima fills that niche heavily in the novel already( novel's final battlefiled, and virtual/avatar identity of the dead proggramer who's will puts the plot into action are direct homages)

Yes, I think that the movie adaptation of the book will try to reach a wider appeal, and therefore use more "recognizable" charathers, but I don't think it would go that far.... especially as (in my personal interpretation) the older style games kind of played into the anti-corporate theme of the book relative to things that have mainstream international appeal....

Edited by Reality

4 minutes ago, Reality said:

I read the book... and this kind of rumor makes no sense.

The main conceit of Ready Player One was that the virtual reality was made up of things from 1980 culture,. I think the main video games featured  in the novel IIRC were the text adventure Zork, Pac-man,  The Tempest and Ultima 1.

The virtual reality technology in the novel DOES support modern games (from its 2011 perspective) but relatively few people (in-universe) played them, because essentially the person who made the virtual reailty made all the main hub worlds etc into his 1980-85 playground (and that's where the competetion and scanvenger hunts that drive the novel take place)

The novel's breadth of pop culture expanded slightly further forward in time for anime/live action shows, but the range of video games it had a serious focus on was quite specific.

I have heard that some more modern things are being put in (eg overwatch), but I think those are going to be few and far between, not to mention being only able to get cameo roles, since all the videogames that affect the plot should already be set in stone.

I think that the only Nintendo charathers to have any business in this movie are the ones with Arcade Roots, since the kind of period approiate games used in the books are even pre-NES. The book almost exclusively used (early)arcade, Apple computer, and things like Atari, to define its setting.

Fire Emblem in particular faces the problems of Nintendo licensing (and while Spielberg is quite cabable of putting up money compable to what Disney did for Wreck it Ralph's cameo). There is also the utter inapproiateness of Fire Emblem to the setting. (The Famicom games had a low import history, and given the prefernce for the American home computer market and arcade (eg midway wiliams) hard to justify Fire Emblem over eg, Pool of Radiance / Rebelstar (themselves 2 and 4 years later than the median video game in the book)  Fire Emblem is also problematic as a medivel-fantasy derived series, since Ultima fills that niche heavily in the novel already( novel's final battlefiled, and virtual/avatar identity of the dead proggramer who's will puts the plot into action are direct homages)

Yes, I think that the movie adaptation of the book will try to reach a wider appeal, and therefore use more "recognizable" charathers, but I don't think it would go that far.... especially as (in my personal interpretation) the older style games kind of played into the anti-corporate theme of the book relative to things that have mainstream international appeal....

Well just to say I don't think they were looking at it at a Fire emblem popularity view but rather smash. How Marth and Ike were pretty popular it does make scene.  It does say Mario kart in the trailer but I don't think it matters. It also goes into further details saying how falcon will be in the race and luigi but all this is from wiki so whatever, not like not like i'm gonna be in line to see it. I wanted to read the book at one point tho. 

• 2 months later...

according to the Ready Player One movie wiki, there were a few references to Nintendo games/products, a few of which I do remember (Aech mentioning Mario Kart to Parzival, a GameBoy located somewhere in Wade's hideout van, etc). In the Book, however, there weren't a lot of Ninty references.