Thoughts on overclasses?

Unnecessary is how I would describe them. The idea of them was cool, but you really don't need them I beat Thabes just fine without them, and plus it's a lot of grinding to get them anyways. I also dislike how they remove the personal character endings to battles like Leon blowing a kiss.

But yeah, I'm just rather luke warm to them. 

1 minute ago, Azz said:

Unnecessary is how I would describe them. The idea of them was cool, but you really don't need them I beat Thabes just fine without them, and plus it's a lot of grinding to get them anyways. I also dislike how they remove the personal character endings to battles like Leon blowing a kiss.

But yeah, I'm just rather luke warm to them. 

Would have been a great opportunity for an Apotheosis map... 

I don't own the overclasses, but I never felt inspired to get them. I got the impression that I'd only get use of them in the main story if I heavily grinded, as my units were still a while off before reaching the level needed to change into an overclass. Maybe for Thabes, but I don't expect it to be. I also heard that they remove personal win animations and as someone who loves small character details, that makes me care less about them then the grinding requirement.

Don't hate them or anything, seeing as they're completely optional DLC. They're just kind of there. Not worth loving or hating.

Nice to look at, but annoying to actually get to. I didn't buy them but the fact that you need to grind just to be able to promote to them is kind of stupid in my book. If you are going to be spending money to get OP classes you should be able to use said OP classes without having to go through such an annoying extra step. It doesn't help that grinding in SoV is especially slow.

almost all of them make no sense, there was also the aforementioned generic textures and animations, I much prefer delthia as a priestess than an enchantress, valbar looks horrible as a spartan, and I hate celica's rigan class, the only ones that I actually kindof liked was the skalld, exemplar, and alm's conquer class, I am indifferent to the harbinger (falcon).

While what I'm going to say is just echoing other complaints, the fact characters lose personalized victories (including Alm's Shield throw if you fight Duma again. WTF?), colour schemes and everything else bugs me. The overclasses all feel so generic. I wouldn't have had a problem if they gave them unique textures like with ALL the regular classes. I actually kept a seperate file where I didn't overclass anyone because of these issues.

That said, some of the designs are nice.

Spartan's oldschool Pavise was something Baron should have had to begin with. 4 move is still very painful.

Coolest overclass is Guru because Lemegeton allows the player's sages to essentially become Cantors.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

I really like them, especially Alm and Celica's, though I wish Celica got Pact to make her class feel more special. Aura is just kind of eh...I'd rather use Excalibur or Ragnarok (even though fire will probably kill anything anyway). Could at least given her Arrow too if free Ragnarok is considered too broken (which is also a moot point since they trvialize everything anyway). Agree that there's nowhere to really use them. Kind of wish you could just class change right into them from the start of the game, just to utilize them in some meaningful way other than Thabes for the thousandth time.

Edited by Jotari

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You don't even need them to get the best stats. Maximum stats are character based, not class based, and because for whatever reason they decided to keep the dread fighter loop, you can make an entire army out of dread fighters and sisters and then reclass the boys into whatever you want them to be. Hell, you can get a full team of dread fighters (accompanied by sisters who don't need good stats) ready for reclassing into broken non-DFs by the time you get to the cave by Nuibaba. And this is without grinding, mind you. This is just going through everything in a straight line and only using the random encounters available to you the first time you make your way in and out of each dungeon.

Edited by Alastor15243

• 2 weeks later...

They're interesting but blatantly out of place in many, many ways.

I'm firmly against the dlc tier of classes idea itself, though. Whether they're worthless or amazing, that will always suck.

... I think they're just really badass, and I'd be interested if IS implemented a 4 tier class system into the main story of the game, but it couldn't be as OP as the Echoes ones.

A neat idea with some problems.

1. Characters lose any individuality (color palettes, victory animations)

2. Require a lot of grinding due to Level 20 being necessary.

3. Some add too little. Celica doesn't really need Aura.

At least some of them have interesting abilities. But they are entirely wasted because they require to be level 20 promoted, at which point you would be way too powerful for anything in the game. So there is really no opportunity to creatively use these abilities.

I really don't get why they decided to make uber glasses instead of merely alternate classes. The way they implemented them makes them entirely pointless. They don't even serve as a fancy version of paid cheat codes because you still need to grind like crazy to even get there, at which point you will have all the power that you could possibly need.

Edited by BrightBow

It's great! However it's not too useful to most, I prefer to have them but I do get the distaste. Biggest issue is with spell lists though, why would you ever reset them? That's so dumb. 

11 hours ago, Kazuya said:

It's great! However it's not too useful to most, I prefer to have them but I do get the distaste. Biggest issue is with spell lists though, why would you ever reset them? That's so dumb. 

That's probably a coding error. Well, error might not be the right term, but if I'm to guess, the Overclasses weren't coded to literally be fourth tier classes, because characters were coded to have their internal level cap at 60. So the Overclasses simply reduced the character level by 20 whenever you promote, which resulted in the loss of any spells gained in those levels. Not an elegant solution, but probably easier than breaking the level cap. Not sure why they didn't just edit the lost spells into the spell list of the new class though, so you can pick them all up again at level 2. Maybe they just didn't realize it was a byproduct, which is actually pretty pisspoor testing as it should be immediately obvious to any one seriously playing the game.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some overclasses without buying DLC maps and I just want to say for anybody buying overclass DLC without DLC maps, Don't. Unless you've grinded your characters on normal maps to lvl 20 in their upgraded class, it will be hell to try and sit there grinding for hours.

• 5 weeks later...

I think that they are cool to look at, but overall pretty useless. I don't like how generic they are, but again they look pretty cool regardless. I also don't like that you have to reach level 20 to promote. The experience gain toward the end is incredibly slow even in the experience DLC maps. Some of the classes do have some cool new abilities, but it is not enough to make them all worthwhile. They also are not even necessary to beat the main game. Of course, hard mode Thabes would be a whole lot easier with them, but it is possible without.