Little Things You Miss From the NES Version? (Part 2)

4 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

No one else is interested in the class balance, I guess?

As in, Gaiden balanced the classes better, or Echoes did?

I can see the reasoning for either game, so do you care to explain?

15 minutes ago, Hawkwing said:

As in, Gaiden balanced the classes better, or Echoes did?

I can see the reasoning for either game, so do you care to explain?

Here are some the reasons I posted earlier.

On 3/23/2018 at 7:33 PM, Emperor Hardin said:

Off the top of my head:

* Dread Fighters not having the ability to halve all magic damage, thus making them less OP.

* Speed Ring giving 5 movement thus giving Baron/General characters something to do.

* Warp having unlimited range.

* Gradivus and Sol not having their damage decreased while their weight was increased.

* Astra being a Lance, SOV had enough OP swords already.

* Most Characters having low strength and defense, thus giving a little bit of reason for Barons/Generals.

4 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I... fail to see how improving the lords is a bad thing. Heck, EVERYONE got improved growth rates in the new game. If anything, a lot of units are more viable now that they were in the original gaiden. Also, of course a single unit could solo a game. They're the only ones gaining the experience, and they're hogging all the equipment and healing items.

Well, I did say a lot of those complaints applied only to me, right?  

But anyways, the difference here is that soloing the game isn't just possible.  It is also, far and away, the fastest way of playing the game; even on the highest difficulty.  That, IMO, is never a good sign.  Granted, Dark Dragon, Mystery of the Emblem, Genealogy, and Awakening were like that as well...but it kind of stinks that Echoes became that way when Gaiden was not.  

And yes, everyone got improved growths.  But Celica's buffs were absolutely absurd compared to what most other people got; and Alm was already OP enough, even in Gaiden.  Combine that with instant access to an effectively bottomless supply of healing items, and the ability to access every accessory in your Convoy, and you've got units that are broken even by Fire Emblem standards.

Granted, though, everyone play's Fire Emblem differently, and I happen to enjoy the "use everyone, bench no-one" approach. I also find the "one-man army/solo runs" to be more entertaining in theory than in practice.

Indeed.  Unfortunately, I'm a bit...OCD, when it comes to my video games.  So I have a very hard time taking anything but the most efficient route through my video games.  Stuff like that is why I made my Fire Emblem 4 Genealogy LP an AAAA Ranked Run, instead of just playing it straight.  Otherwise, 95% of the LP would have been "Sigurd and Celice crush this map all by themselves...again..." :P: 

Emperor Hardin said:

Off the top of my head:

* Dread Fighters not having the ability to halve all magic damage, thus making them less OP.

* Speed Ring giving 5 movement thus giving Baron/General characters something to do.

* Warp having unlimited range.

* Gradivus and Sol not having their damage decreased while their weight was increased.

* Astra being a Lance, SOV had enough OP swords already.

* Most Characters having low strength and defense, thus giving a little bit of reason for Barons/Generals.

You know what?  Thinking of it now, you're right.  They DID take out a lot of the OTHER fun stuff from Gaiden...which is probably why the general OPness of Celica an Alm sticks out that much more.  

Edited by FionordeQuester

For the most part, I think Shadows of Valentia made amazing improvements on all areas from the original. My biggest complaint with the game, however, is the changes made to chapter 5.

In the original, chapter 5 had the player placed is maps with very unique scenarios. One map had the player chasing an enemy unit before it hit a switch and turned the entire map to a swamp. Another map had strong enemy units be teleported from an inaccessible location while a mogul would continuously multiply and then attack the player. However, in the remake, the developers chose to remove a majority of these maps, which is a shame.

I do miss being able to actually walk around the towns in the style of other RPGs. I get why they did it - fully modelling a town in the same fashion as a dungeon would take considerably more time and effort, but I feel like something is lost by everything being still backgrounds with NPCs on top of them. Even something as simple as the castle in Fates, where you just ran around as your unit sprite, would have been preferable, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Cirosan said:

I do miss being able to actually walk around the towns in the style of other RPGs. I get why they did it - fully modelling a town in the same fashion as a dungeon would take considerably more time and effort, but I feel like something is lost by everything being still backgrounds with NPCs on top of them. Even something as simple as the castle in Fates, where you just ran around as your unit sprite, would have been preferable, in my opinion.

It wouldn't really take that much more time considering how much they modelled of the villages already.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:43 PM, Jotari said:

It might not look like it, but all of the village enviroments are rendered in full 3D, even without many depth tricks. It's only the characters that are sprites. You can even interact with some of the boxes and stuff since they're identical to the ones in dungeons.

The map enviroments are also fully rendered and explorable (though because the dungeon exploring code has nothing when it comes to vertical height boundries, you can walk ontop of walls as if they're not there, still follow slopes and stuff though). There's a full playlist of them exploring places like the Damn and Outpost etc as well as the villages.