Saizo and Kaze's official art sneaks into new merchandise

VincentASM

So this was pointed out to me.

clearfile.jpg

A new selection of clear files, based on the theme of sibling and comrade bonds, will be releasing in Japan during Late May.

In the middle of the bottom row are Saizo and Kaze, which fit the theme to a T. But it took me a while to realise that this is the first time we've seen their official artwork.

Hopefully this means Mr. Kozaki is still on track for drawing everyone's artwork for the promised FE Fates official artbook ^^

I'm so happy to see the artwork for these two because I absolutely love Saizo and Kaze. I'm really excited to see how everyone else's art will turn out for the book!

Edited by ashlyn

I hope we get more OA soon. Hopefully we'll get an artbook by the end of the year because I actually like Kozaki's art.

I never actually looked at the official art of anyone from Awakening, Fates, or SoV that wasn't plastered on a game cover since SF I don't think has it in a gallery. I'd be open to it though. I'm fine with official artwork for mainline games (despite whatever gripes I may have towards FEH artwork).

I'd like to see full body versions of Super Ninja Bros., but this will do for now. Saizo's pose from what we can see reminds me a bit of Chrom's official artwork pose though (although shuriken instead of a sword make it different); and Kozaki later reused Chrom's pose for a Rare Blade in XC2 apparently. Is he using it again? Well there are only so many ways you can realistically contort the human form.

20 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I never actually looked at the official art of anyone from Awakening, Fates, or SoV that wasn't plastered on a game cover since SF I don't think has it in a gallery. I'd be open to it though. I'm fine with official artwork for mainline games (despite whatever gripes I may have towards FEH artwork).

There's a gallery over here! I may have forgotten to link it from the main gallery section though...

For the record, I'm missing the artwork of Jakob and Leo+Takumi's retainers because they aren't easily available.

3 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

There's a gallery over here! I may have forgotten to link it from the main gallery section though...

Thank you!

The full body artwork available feels a little.... stubby? Like it was compacted it a bit too much or something. Leo is bad case of what I mean. The females seem to largely escape this issue, particularly Azura (who needs more underwear), with more dynamic poses. Some facial expressions are also a bit dull or just off in some way to me. Felicia escapes this, Hinoka does, Elise too, but Xander, Takumi, Sakura and Camilla do have this problem.

Still, I won't cast a judgement on all the artwork from just these handfuls of character. I'll have to see the whole museum first, whenever the paintings needed to finish Gallerie Moirae arrive.

Neato! I'm a Kaze fan so I'm pleased to see this. ^^ I like how their poses mirror each other. It shows how they're twins and kinda opposites. Kaze's forehead looks a bit too big though.

Edited by Anacybele

21 hours ago, VincentASM said:

So this was pointed out to me.

clearfile.jpg

A new selection of clear files, based on the theme of sibling and comrade bonds, will be releasing in Japan during Late May.

In the middle of the bottom row are Saizo and Kaze, which fit the theme to a T. But it took me a while to realise that this is the first time we've seen their official artwork.

Hopefully this means Mr. Kozaki is still on track for drawing everyone's artwork for the promised FE Fates official artbook ^^

Promised Art book?

I need a full Anthony ref for cosplay reasons

3 minutes ago, Hero_Lucina said:

Promised Art book?

Yeah, check the bottom of this article.

Basically, Yusuke Kozaki was asked about the artbook and he said he'll try and get it out by the end of this year (as in draw the necessary art for the book).

2 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Yeah, check the bottom of this article.

Basically, Yusuke Kozaki was asked about the artbook and he said he'll try and get it out by the end of this year (as in draw the necessary art for the book).

you'd think finalized, stock artwork of everyone would be part of the design process, I'm pretty surprised it wouldn't already be drawn

Just seems like the thing actually holding up a book would be all the things that go into a book: compiling design work, extraneous series information, gather other works (like how awakening had all the prepaid card stuff) and, uhhh, you know...designing the book. Layouts and stuff.

e: Oh and the script. If its anything like awakening's they'll have all the supports transcripted. Like half the book will be supports if they do that

Edited by r_n

1 hour ago, r_n said:

you'd think finalized, stock artwork of everyone would be part of the design process, I'm pretty surprised it wouldn't already be drawn

Just seems like the thing actually holding up a book would be all the things that go into a book: compiling design work, extraneous series information, gather other works (like how awakening had all the prepaid card stuff) and, uhhh, you know...designing the book. Layouts and stuff.

e: Oh and the script. If its anything like awakening's they'll have all the supports transcripted. Like half the book will be supports if they do that

There is concept art for every (key) character, but I was strictly referring to the official artwork that's used for media purposes.

Essentially, they don't want to release an artbook until most of the characters have official artwork. Otherwise it wouldn't feel complete.

Edited by VincentASM

2 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

There is concept art for every (key) character, but I was strictly referring to the official artwork that's used for media purposes.

Essentially, they don't want to release an artbook until most of the characters have official artwork. Otherwise it wouldn't feel complete.

Do we know that's the actual reason though? It still seems odd that there wouldn't be official, finalized art for everyone.

1 minute ago, r_n said:

Do we know that's the actual reason though? It still seems odd that there wouldn't be official, finalized art for everyone.

Nope, but you can read in between the lines.

Notice how they are very slowly revealing the official artworks. This suggests they are being drawn even now.

Heck, not long after Fates came out, we had a video showing Yusuke Kozaki drawing Felicia from scratch.

If the artwork already exists, there is no reason to purposely delay their release nor the release of an artbook. Logically you want to release these things ASAP while the game is still fresh. Not after a whole game (Echoes) and spin off (Warriors) is released.

You also need to remember it takes time and effort to draw so much artwork. Plus it sounds like Mr. Kozaki is a very busy man. He doesn't just draw for Fire Emblem.

So it's not hard to imagine he simply hasn't had time to draw everyone. I'd wager Awakening was when the stars aligned or at the least not a scenario we can always bank on.

This wouldn't be the first time we got a delay between some form of official art for all chars in game. Sacred Stones anyone? And I think in that case there is a clear stylistic difference between those who got it early and those who got it delayed. Compare for instance:

Spoiler

Joshua.jpgIsmaire.jpgMarisa.jpg

Joshua came early, and his mother and fellow Myrm are much different in the colors, lighter.

Kozaki might not have such a disparity when he gets to the rest of Fates's cast though.

1 hour ago, dmurr said:

Wait, do we have more information about the artbook now? Where did this come from?

latest?cb=20161027144014

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/fireemblem/images/6/68/(Odin_Niles).jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161027144014

I am not 100% sure, but I think it's from a magazine.

Either way, reverse image searching the image tells me it was uploaded around October 2016, so it's definitely not new.

For reference, we already know that Niles, Odin, Hinata and Oboro have artwork from the Drama CDs. Jakob also has artwork from the OST, I think.

21 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I am not 100% sure, but I think it's from a magazine.

Either way, reverse image searching the image tells me it was uploaded around October 2016, so it's definitely not new.

For reference, we already know that Niles, Odin, Hinata and Oboro have artwork from the Drama CDs. Jakob also has artwork from the OST, I think.

Ohh, neat. I didn't know that. Thank you! Got excited thinking that there was news on the book I didn't know about yet.

On 01/04/2018 at 1:50 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

This wouldn't be the first time we got a delay between some form of official art for all chars in game. Sacred Stones anyone? And I think in that case there is a clear stylistic difference between those who got it early and those who got it delayed. Compare for instance:

Reveal hidden contents

Joshua.jpgIsmaire.jpgMarisa.jpg

Joshua came early, and his mother and fellow Myrm are much different in the colors, lighter.

Kozaki might not have such a disparity when he gets to the rest of Fates's cast though.

at least in FE PoR you can see character design from FE6, FE7 and FE8 (if GBA linked)...or was it in RD?

1 minute ago, link16hit said:

at least in FE PoR you can see character design from FE6, FE7 and FE8 (if GBA linked)...or was it in RD?

PoR. And I do recall loving that feature back in the day and just looking at everyone. 

I'm not sure what they thinking giving only Ephraim, Eirika, Joshua, L'Arachel, Saleh, Seth, Myrrh, Ross, Amelia, Ewan and most strangely Tethys of all people official artwork for SS originally. Maybe they didn't have the budget to do more right away? SS was a side project compared to PoR.