FE 4/5 - Potential Weapon Redesigns

Ae†her

I'm a big fan of weapon designs in Fire Emblem games, and generally I like to see a bit of practicality in the design of them.  Sometimes it's better to do over the top weapon designs (Siegfried, Omega Yato, Fujin Yumi) just because the story is not that serious in the FE games, and it just appeals the gameplay aspect better to the players, most of whom don't care about practicality of the cool and shiny holy weapons.

In games like Genealogy and Thracia though, where the story is a bit more serious than other FE games (not just in terms of the plot, but in the themes present), I figured it might be nice if IS were to ever do weapon redesigns for potentially an Echoes of both games. Most of you probably don't care about practicality that much, but I don't think you have to be super conservative with weapon redesigns, sometimes just adding a little bit of simplicity can make a sword actually more appealing than the over the top design.

For example, if we look at the original Tyrfing

Spoiler

Image result for tyrfing

Also I'll just put this in here as well for the folks that don't know what the different parts of a sword are specifically called.

Image result for the parts of a sword

We can see it has some cliches of a typical fantasy sword design. Over the top obsession with an evil/holy crossguard with a gigantic gem in the middle, weird blade curve, and strange grip overall. 
If we look at the Awakening redesign of the Tyrfing they pretty much sacrificed the theme of the sword for an over-the-top clean, but highly impractical design.

Spoiler

Image result for tyrfing

The only thing I can say I like about this design over the original one is that it has very small and interesting details in the crossguard, and the crossguard actually ends up looking cool, and the red crystal inside looks less like an eye, and more like an actually fancy jewel, which is helpful in distinguishing the theme of this sword from that of Mystletainn's. 

At the end I think if they kept the crossguard of the Awakening Tyrfing, and took the pommel and grip design of the original Tyrfing, and replaced the blade with a more practical one such as that of a silver sword, then they have themselves a really great redesigned Tyrfing. It's simple, distinct, sill has that divine ring to it, and ends up looking more powerful than the original one itself because of how much more practical it looks, while still remaining the big sword it is.

If you guys prefer to keep them exactly as they were just for the sake of respect of the original designs I'd understand that as well though.

Guest Dreamyboi

I think your redesign ideas were pretty good actually, though I'd personally make some little tweaks to the Awakening design to make it more practical and leave the classic design alone.

Awakening's weapon design for old weapons WAS pretty hit and miss, Armads looks like a motherfucking PICKAXE.

Edited by Dreamyboi

16 hours ago, omegaxis1 said:

One thing I would prefer is that Tyrfing doesn't have to look too closely to Falchion. There's actually a theory where people think that Tyrfing and Falchion are the same weapon in fact.

I think that's infact what they were going for in terms of Tyrfing's design because they probably wanted to take Marth's protagonist formula, and apply it to Sigurd. That's why he probably also has blue hair similar to Marth. 

17 hours ago, Dreamyboi said:

I think your redesign ideas were pretty good actually, though I'd personally make some little tweaks to the Awakening design to make it more practical and leave the classic design alone.

Awakening's weapon design for old weapons WAS pretty hit and miss, Armads looks like a motherfucking PICKAXE.

Some of Awakening's redesigns captured one or two of the best qualities of the old weapon designs and emphasized them. Such as the Mystletainn's Black and Gold color pattern, or the relationship of Gae Bolg and Gungnir. Some weapons they completely butchered though like Armads (though to be fair the smaller size is more practical). 

I don't think they should leave the classic design for all weapons though because there are some really cool qualities to them. Take for example the eye looking thingy in Mystletainn's crossguard. It looks kind of evil, which makes perfect sense because it's referred to as the Demon Sword.

1 hour ago, Ae†her said:

I think that's infact what they were going for in terms of Tyrfing's design because they probably wanted to take Marth's protagonist formula, and apply it to Sigurd. That's why he probably also has blue hair similar to Marth. 

Well, given by what Tiki says to Robin in their B support, it seems like Sigurd may in fact be Marth's ancestor.

16 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Well, given by what Tiki says to Robin in their B support, it seems like Sigurd may in fact be Marth's ancestor.

I guess Chrom has a similar attitude to Sigurd, but for Tiki to say Robin is sweet and kind like Marth I find a little bit of an overstatement in it. Robin usually just goes with Chrom, and advises him with rational decisions along the way. 

However, Sigurd being an Ancestor of Marth sounds pretty cool, but I feel like the continents have changed too much in name, and other things. The series still insists on connections between the different FE Timelines/ Worlds where there's a blue haired protagonist, and Alm. I'm not even sure how to rationalize it. Maybe if there was some kind of world divergence effect where the world of Fire Emblem gets some random transformations that turn the names of continents different, and everything different while what isn't changed helps draw connections to the past world.

That being said I still want Tyrfing to look like Falchion just because I like the idea of this lineage. However, the blade geometry of the Falchion has always been bad, so I'd still like the Silver Sword blade, with the detailed and nicely shaped crossguard from the Awakening Redesign of the Tyrfing.

8 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

I guess Chrom has a similar attitude to Sigurd, but for Tiki to say Robin is sweet and kind like Marth I find a little bit of an overstatement in it. Robin usually just goes with Chrom, and advises him with rational decisions along the way. 

Actually, I analyzed a lot of Marth's characteristics, his personality, and such (which made me love him so much), that I realized that I actually do get why Tiki does feel that Robin bears a strong resemblance to Marth. Like Marth, Robin cares deeply for his comrades, and Robin clearly displays signs of wanting to be the kind of tactician that wants to protect his comrades and avoid getting any casualty, such as his support with Severa. Plus the kind of person where he tries to get along with others and endures hardships, generally seeing a bigger picture than others, it really does make me see why Tiki would feel this familiarity with Marth in Robin. She also feels this with Lucina, and this definitely makes a lot of sense as well. Lucina didn't know how Marth actually was, but she the hardships and trials that she has gone through, she also understood many of the things that Marth has come to learn. 

However, neither Robin and Lucina have yet reached the level that Marth has in the end, nor has any Fire Emblem lord for that matter. When it comes to the heart, Marth truly stands at the top, and deserves to be called the Hero-King, which I also interpret to mean as "King of Heroes". 

13 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

However, Sigurd being an Ancestor of Marth sounds pretty cool, but I feel like the continents have changed too much in name, and other things. The series still insists on connections between the different FE Timelines/ Worlds where there's a blue haired protagonist, and Alm. I'm not even sure how to rationalize it. Maybe if there was some kind of world divergence effect where the world of Fire Emblem gets some random transformations that turn the names of continents different, and everything different while what isn't changed helps draw connections to the past world.

I have this joke theory where Echoes retcon of Mila and Duma being Divine Dragons is actually happening because Naga messed with time in Awakening. This caused a distortion through the space-time continuum that made it so that events and reality has been altered. 

Also, not every Lord has been a blue haired protag. Eliwood and Roy have red hair. Lyn has green hair. Ephraim and Eirika has more of an aqua blue hair, but I guess that still counts. Leif has brown hair, although he is a bit of a sub-protagonist, but still, he was the Lord in FE5, so this one counts. And Micaiah has silver hair. 

And I think that it's wholly believable that Seliph and by extension Sigurd can be Marth's ancestor. The Jugdral series takes place a thousand years before Marth's time. Nothing there is impossible for someone to be Seliph's descendant to go to Jugdral in those times and soon became the parent or ancestor of Anri and his brother, which ultimately led to Marth. 

18 minutes ago, Ae†her said:

That being said I still want Tyrfing to look like Falchion just because I like the idea of this lineage. However, the blade geometry of the Falchion has always been bad, so I'd still like the Silver Sword blade, with the detailed and nicely shaped crossguard from the Awakening Redesign of the Tyrfing.

I really don't, mostly because we now have confirmation that there is two Falchions in existence. I do not need another weapon to have to look like Falchion too.