How Remakes on the Switch Could Be Handled

Vere

Sorry if this is a repeated question. Tried looking through multiple forums and only found one outdated topic.

Early this year, I started replaying Blazing Blade, and kinda got into some of the lore connecting it with Binding Blade (especially because Rebecca is one of my favorite units). I've never played Binding Blade (don''t feel like playing a rom either), but since Echoes was remade, and with the 3DS no longer being a focus for Nintendo, I started thinking about the possibility of Binding Blade being remade. Someone else here seems to have had a similar idea, but I also started thinking about the Switch's hardware capabilities (of which I know nothing of lol) and wondered if it would be possible to include a "mega remake" of both Binding and Blazing Blade, where you'd start off with Blazing, and the decisions you made directly affecting Binding (i.e. who supported who, who died, who lived, etc).

My first (and favorite) game is Awakening. I really liked the class system, the MU, and the children giving more incentive to pair units (something that unfortunately made it somewhat hard to play older FEs). With the idea of this "mega remake", and with Binding Blade having children from Blazing Blade characters, I thought it would be a cool idea incorporating the marriage mechanics and class system from Awakening and Fates, and incorporating it into this "mega remake", as the children units had a reason to be in the game (*cough* Fates *cough*). For example, if Rebecca married Lowen, Wolt could inherit Lowen's Cavalier class as a secondary class. If Lyn married Rath, Sue could inherit the Lord or Mercenary class from Lyn. (Maybe Roy could get some kind of perfomer class from Ninian lol). While I haven't played Binding Blade, I don't think it'd hurt if more children characters were made to accommodate this system.

While my example is about the Elibe games, I'm posting this in the General forum, as this type of remake could also be made for the Tellius games and similar series (there's one more series that I can't think of atm...). As mentioned previously, I don't know if this is possible hardware/software wise, but if it was, is this something that would interest others?

Yeah, the idea's not new. People need to really think more about this, because when you do I think we'll find it's probably a pretty bad idea.

• Both games have a sizable cast (FE6 especially) with very little overlap. It's not like Tellius where you could theoretically transition over with the same characters and a few new ones.
  • There are some links in the cast, but only a few. Most of these ideas with inheritance and such would be from a small portion of FE7's cast. Only Eliwood, Hector, Rebecca, Rath, and Nino have canon offspring that is not yet born (like Igrene) and have no canon spouse (like Pent/Louise, Karla/Bartre, and Canas).
  • The plots have nothing to do with one another. You'd play through one story then transition to a completely different story, the only similarity being that it happens on the same continent.
  • Each game would have to be condensed if it were sold all as one package. This isn't even about storage issues, having all those maps, chapters, supports, etc. would feel way too bloated for a single game, so in the end you'd just get worse versions of both games.

They weren't made to be together, and I think it's best they keep it that way. While Tellius doesn't have all the same problems, I'd still feel the same. I would rather have full, separate remakes of both games.

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Yeah, the idea's not new. People need to really think more about this, because when you do I think we'll find it's probably a pretty bad idea.

• Both games have a sizable cast (FE6 especially) with very little overlap. It's not like Tellius where you could theoretically transition over with the same characters and a few new ones.
  • There are some links in the cast, but only a few. Most of these ideas with inheritance and such would be from a small portion of FE7's cast. Only Eliwood, Hector, Rebecca, Rath, and Nino have canon offspring that is not yet born (like Igrene) and have no canon spouse (like Pent/Louise, Karla/Bartre, and Canas).
  • The plots have nothing to do with one another. You'd play through one story then transition to a completely different story, the only similarity being that it happens on the same continent.
  • Each game would have to be condensed if it were sold all as one package. This isn't even about storage issues, having all those maps, chapters, supports, etc. would feel way too bloated for a single game, so in the end you'd just get worse versions of both games.

They weren't made to be together, and I think it's best they keep it that way. While Tellius doesn't have all the same problems, I'd still feel the same. I would rather have full, separate remakes of both games.

I'd rather only have to buy the two games once (and that's precisely why I don't think they'll be combined, IS didn't combine Shadow Dragon and New Mystery and they actually were designed to be played together).

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I'd rather only have to buy the two games once (and that's precisely why I don't think they'll be combined, IS didn't combine Shadow Dragon and New Mystery and they actually were designed to be played together).

Who said anything about buying a game twice?

3 hours ago, Florete said:

Who said anything about buying a game twice?

IE: If Blazing Blade and Binding Blade were remade as two seperate titles, I'd have to buy two games, but if they were released together, I'd only have to buy one game.

I suppose it would depend how its done, maybe.

I'm reminded a bit in the way a series like SRW handled remakes that pulled the same thing. GBA games Original Generations and Original Generations 2 were remade into a single PS2 game. And then they also had a bunch more stuff added in. Far as I know, it did quite well. Of course, whether that was actually the case would mean examining it further, but for now I'm just bringing it up to say there's precedent, even if not from the same series.

Oh yeah, same thing happened with the Compact 2 trilogy for the Wonderswan. All three game were also remade into a single PS2 game. And despite being big as it is (imagine a FE game with over 90 chapters), they still added even more stuff in. Just saying...

6 hours ago, Jotari said:

IE: If Blazing Blade and Binding Blade were remade as two seperate titles, I'd have to buy two games, but if they were released together, I'd only have to buy one game.

Or you could just buy one of them if it's that big of a deal. Even if they were remade together, the amount of content would probably amount to what one game would be, so you'd get the same thing in the end.

Is this actually a serious point you're making?

21 minutes ago, Florete said:

Or you could just buy one of them if it's that big of a deal. Even if they were remade together, the amount of content would probably amount to what one game would be, so you'd get the same thing in the end.

Is this actually a serious point you're making?

That I would rather spend 40 euro for two games instead of 80 euro for two games, yes, that is a serious point. Do you disagree?

9 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That I would rather spend 40 euro for two games instead of 80 euro for two games, yes, that is a serious point. Do you disagree?

I imagine that if FE6 or FE7 were remade each on its own, they'd have more added content and higher production values to justify the price tag. If they were remade together in a single release, they'd probably be just updated versions of the originals with little extra content.

It's also not safe to assume that the separate remakes will be priced equally than the dual remake.

18 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That would be awesome if it were at all realistic.

9 hours ago, Jave said:

I imagine that if FE6 or FE7 were remade each on its own, they'd have more added content and higher production values to justify the price tag. If they were remade together in a single release, they'd probably be just updated versions of the originals with little extra content.

It's also not safe to assume that the separate remakes will be priced equally than the dual remake.

What's technically possible isn't an issue. Both the games can be fitted on to one cartridge with all the extra bells and whistles and it'd take just as much man power to release it as one title or two. The only difference is if it was released as two titles, we'd get the first one a year or so earlier. The only thing really stopping IS from doing it is that there's no real incentive to since they know two seperate titles will sell more than one title.

13 hours ago, Slumber said:

IS sold one game in three separate packages, no way they'd sell two as one. 

Except they've already done it before: FE3 Book 1 was just a remake of FE1, whilst Book 2 was a completely new game. 

2 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Except they've already done it before: FE3 Book 1 was just a remake of FE1, whilst Book 2 was a completely new game. 

That was 25 years ago. 

5 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

That doesn't mean that they couldn't do it today.

Yes, it doesn't mean they can't, but as I said,

8 hours ago, Jotari said:

What's technically possible isn't an issue. Both the games can be fitted on to one cartridge with all the extra bells and whistles and it'd take just as much man power to release it as one title or two. The only difference is if it was released as two titles, we'd get the first one a year or so earlier. The only thing really stopping IS from doing it is that there's no real incentive to since they know two seperate titles will sell more than one title.

they probably won't. The fact that they didn't release the actual remake of FE3 as one game, is proof enough of that.