Teach me how to game

Junkhead

So I've talked about this a bit, few times here and there. Basically, I have a hard time just sitting down and getting to play a game- sometimes even starting them, so let alone actually finishing them.

I have a lot on my Steam games list, as well as real hard copies of them. 

Someone suggested that I needn't force myself to, but it's not like I'm forcing myself to do a chore or something I don't actually want to. If anything, I've been meaning to pick this habit up, as it's not something I struggle with (game addiction, I guess). Surprisingly, I've actually picked up the first Soul Reaver game. Played it consistently, and got it down in around a week. And now, recently, I'm having a blast with Outlast 2. Only played twice, at a friend's house, but I barely even broke focus. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I usually find something I can relax while playing

which is why I loved Stardew Valley 

That game happens to be on my Wishlist...does seem quite appealing to me.

Outlast. Relaxing. Let's go with that.

I've noticed a similar issue with myself lately. I used to be able to sit down and play a game for hours but recently it seems like I can't play for more than an hour or two at a time. I'm just not excited to play anymore.

But I've had some personal things going on so I think that's why. Hopefully I can get back into it soon.

aint nothing wrong with fragmenting into a couple of hours a day

or taking a day off and just playing for a couple of five hour sessions

its about finding a groove and something that works for you. there's no universal answer here

I've had the same problem for...

...Years, honestly. It's kind of depressing. There's so much I want to do but never get around to because, even when I have time, I rarely have the motivation to use it. Once in a while something does catch on and I get through it pretty quick (like you with Soul Reaver, sounds like), but most of the time... it just doesn't work out.

It's fine not to play games much, of course, and there's no need to force yourself. But if you want to play more, I'm going to suggest something else: you do need to force yourself.

Not for long. Don't make yourself keep playing if you really don't want to. But if you have time, make yourself pick something up, and keep at it for at least 15-30 minutes. If you're like me, you'll find it a lot easier (and more enjoyable) to keep going once you've gotten started. It's a momentum thing.

...Of course, I say this as someone who still struggles to do much besides waste time on the internet (that's how I found this topic). But forcing myself seems to help when I actually get myself to do it, at least (and keeping active helps with my depression, so that's a good thing).

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, Soul~! said:

So I've talked about this a bit, few times here and there. Basically, I have a hard time just sitting down and getting to play a game- sometimes even starting them, so let alone actually finishing them.

I have a lot on my Steam games list, as well as real hard copies of them. 

Someone suggested that I needn't force myself to, but it's not like I'm forcing myself to do a chore or something I don't actually want to. If anything, I've been meaning to pick this habit up, as it's not something I struggle with (game addiction, I guess). Surprisingly, I've actually picked up the first Soul Reaver game. Played it consistently, and got it down in around a week. And now, recently, I'm having a blast with Outlast 2. Only played twice, at a friend's house, but I barely even broke focus. 

It sounds like you have an addiction to buying games.  I have had this problem from time to time, where I get carried away and buy stuff I don't use because I anticipate that I''ll enjoy it.  Just find a game you really enjoy, and play that.  I played through Chrono Trigger while suffering through Hurricane Irma, and that was a lot of fun.  IMO I mostly play older games because they're easy to pick up and don't take long to beat.  My attention span is short, though I did beat Breath of the Wild.