Do you like Kurthnaga's character?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like him?

• Yes
    • Indifferent
    • No

Welcome to my third character analysis! I've already done a Tauroneo and Micaiah character analysis and this time we'll be taking a look at Kurthnaga, who is easily my favourite dragon in the series, bar none and my third favourite character in all of Fire Emblem!

Path of Radiance

When Ike's ship crashes to the Goldoan shore, he gets out and angers a bunch of dragons. The dragons are about to kill him but fortunately, Kurthnaga, prince of the dragon tribes, stops them and promises to help move the ship. This shows Kurthnaga's empathetic nature. Also, Ike talked to Kurthnaga as if he were a simple commoner which shocked him but due to his humbleness it was of no problem to him. Also, we see that Kurthnaga is very much into diplomacy as he promises to convince his father to reprimand Kilvas. 

Spoiler

Red Dragon Laguz
This is Goldoan territory. Outsiders are not permitted.

Ike
No, wait, you don't understand! Our ship has run aground. There's nothing we can do! We're stuck here!

Red Dragon
Then return to your ship. What happens to beorc is none of our affair.

Ike
That's ridiculous! You're a complete--

Red Dragon Laguz
You have been warned. You will not be warned a second time. Hey!

Kurthnaga
Cease this at once! What do you think you're doing?

Red Dragon Laguz
My...My lord prince.

Kurthnaga
Man of the beorc. My countrymen were discourteous. I ask that you forgive them.

Ike
Who are you?

Kurthnaga: I am Kurthnaga, prince of Goldoa.

Ike
The prince? Now we're getting somewhere. Thanks to some Kilvas pirates, our ship's run aground. Can you lend us any help?

Kurthnaga

Ike
What is it? You can't help us, can you?

Kurthnaga
I am not used to being addressed in such a direct manner. I was...taken off guard. My apologies.

Ike
No, I didn't--If anyone should apologize here, it's me. My father had a great deal to say about my lack of etiquette. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you.

Kurthnaga
Please, pay it no mind. I am more concerned with the misfortune your journey has met.Of late, the ravens have grown ever more barbarous, and this cannot stand. My father will lodge a formal protest with Kilvas, I assure you. In the meantime, we shall help you with your ship. Gareth, direct the others to push their ship free.

Kurthnaga also provided Ike with supplies on top of freeing his ship which shows his generosity. Furthermore, Kurthnaga would like to offer a whole feast but he can't because his father prefers isolation. This shows us that Kurthnaga's character conflict is respecting his father's decree VS his own generous nature. Basically he has to strike a balance which he does in this scene.  

Spoiler

Kurthnaga
We have moved your ship safely and without harm to you or your vessel.

Kurthnaga
My subjects tell me your ship was indeed lodged against a reef. However, there was no structural damage to your ship. You need not interrupt your journey.

Ike
That's good news. Thank you.

Kurthnaga
Is there anything else you require? If you need food or fresh water, we can replenish your supplies.

Ike
That would be most appreciated. We are beginning to run low on water. As for food, anyfruit, meat, fish...anything fresh would be wonderful

Kurthnaga
It shall be done. Gareth, will you see to it?

Gareth
Yes, at once.

Ike
I know that Goldoa does not engage in trade with other nations, but will you accept gold in payment?

Kurthnaga
Do not worry about payment.

Ike
But you've done so much for us when you could have left us to die out there. We must repay you somehow.

Kurthnaga
Sweet courtesy is ever the herald of hospitality. Will this suffice to explain my actions?

Ike
Hospitality? Isn't that for guests?

Kurthnaga
As you know, Goldoa prefers isolation. We rarely see foreigners, especially beorc, and even more rarely do we treat with them. Chance has brought us together, and I am grateful for this opportunity. In fact, I wish we could feast a while and converse. However, my father would never allow it.

Ike
You can't expect us to accept so generous a gift--

Kurthnaga
But I do. I insist that you consider it a personal gift from Goldoa's prince. However, I have made you uncomfortable, so if you feel you must decline...

Ike
No, of course not. We will be happy to accept your gift. We appreciate it.

Kurthnaga
I'm so pleased you understand.

Titania
Ike! Captain Nasir wants to depart as soon as possible.

Ike
Understood.

Ike
Well then, I beg your leave. Prince Kurthnaga, I won't forget your kindness. Thank you!

Kurthnaga
It was my pleasure. Take care.

Kurthnaga
Farewell, beorc! May your journey be safe!

Kurthnaga's complaints were brought forward by his father in the Laguz Royals meeting which shows just how much clout Kurthnaga has as this is a very important meeting and influences the geopolitics of Tellius. 

Spoiler

Dheginhansea
I would remind you of the beorc ship you attacked in Phoenicisian waters...and left stranded in Goldoan territory.

Naesala
Oh...that.

Tibarn
Naesala, you lying crow! You've been sneaking about in my territory again, have you?

Dheginhansea
I heard from my own son, Kurthnaga, that a beorc resembling Princess Crimea was on board that ship.

Kurthnaga
It is true.

Also, Kurthnaga had a profound impact on Ike's character development in Path of Radiance as seeing his courtesy convinced Ike that the Goldoan Dragons are honorable but was conflicted how both dragons and the bird tribes be both laguz because before meeting these two tribes, Ike had only known the Gallian beast tribes so he naively assumed all Laguz are good. Basically Ike's perspective on good vs evil evolves after his meeting with Kurthnaga and realizes he can't equate the actions of a few with an entire species. 

Spoiler

Elincia
My lord Ike, is something amiss?

Ike
First, those ravens attack us, and then a band of Goldoan dragons rescues us.
I can't understand how they are all considered laguz. Is that strange?

Elincia
No, I see what you're saying...Just as there are both good and evil beorc, there must be good and evil laguz as well. But they are so distinct in appearance...It is tempting to assume each race is, as a whole, intrinsically good or evil.

Ike
Aye, that it is. The beast tribes of Gallia and the dragons of Goldoa seem so honorable...and the birds of Kilvas and Phoenicis seem so cruel. It seems so easy to reduce them all to good or evil.

Elincia
I'm sure it can't be as simple as that...

Ike
Look at us beorc: Daeins are evil, and Crimeans are not. It's as simple as that.Well, wait...There were those prejudiced fools we met in port. They weren't all that honorable. Maybe you're right.

Nasir
Much of what seems good and evil is simply a matter of perspective, Ike. Many conditions affect our judgment. Drawing a definitive line is nigh impossible.

Radiant Dawn

Part 1

Kurthnaga comes to Daein to meet up with Almedha, his long lost sister but ends up getting captured by the Begnion occupation forces. While in prison, he once again shows us his empathetic nature by giving olvi grass to stop Micaiah's bleeding. So basically in his first appearance in both games, he has the honour of helping out the protagonist when they are in a bind. Also Aimee points out that Kurthnaga is a quiet person which confirms he's very introverted, much like Micaiah. It's no question why I like both these characters when they share many similarities. 

Spoiler

???:
“Um…”

Aimee:
“So you can talk. You’ve been so quiet over there, I assumed you didn’t speak our language.”

???:
“…If you wish, you may use this salve on your wound. It’s an infusion of olivi grass.”

Aimee:
“Olivi grass? Hm, I’ve never heard of it. Are you sure it’s safe?”

???:
“It’s unquestionably safe… and effective.”

Micaiah:
“Thank you most kindly. I’ll try it.”

Aimee:
“Well, aren’t you the trusting one? Are you honestly comfortable applying a strange medicine to your wound?”

Micaiah:
“I am. I know it will work. Thank you for sharing your medicine.”

???:
“You’re welcome!”

The game basically hammers the similarities between them even further in a base conversation. Kurthnaga has secrets, desires privacy, is kind/gentle and loves to feel the wind. Hmm I wonder who else is like that. Anyway this base conversation reveals to us that Kurthnaga loves nature and is very inquisitive when it comes to making observations. He'd make a great explorer or even a scientist.

Spoiler

Kurth (*)

Micaiah: What are you doing out here, Kurth?
Kurth: Hello, Micaiah. Pay me no mind. I’m just watching the desert. How the wind changes the sandscape…The ebb and flow of the dunes, like giant swells in the ocean. I find it mesmerizing.
Micaiah: Is this your first time in the desert?
Kurth: Yes. My homeland is ringed with mountains. Everything about Daein looks new and curious to my eyes.
Micaiah: I see.
Kurth: …You have not asked.
Micaiah: I’m sorry?
Kurth: You have not asked me who I am or where I am from. Not just you, Micaiah, but the others as well. No one seeks to know who I am.
Micaiah: You seem to not want to talk about yourself. Am I right?
Kurth: Yes… Quite right.
Micaiah: That’s why no one asks. People can tell when someone wants privacy. Many of us desire privacy too. Kurth, you are not our enemy. I know that much. You’re kind and gentle. That is all I need to know.
Kurth: Thank you…

Finally we see that Kurthaga wanted to communicate with Almedha hence he gives her a sending stone. After seeing so many similarities between Kurthnaga and Micaiah, we finally see that the two have differing worldviews. Kurthnaga uses quotation marks to describe the liberation army which goes to show he does not believe in the use of force as a valid means of liberating a country. From this conversation it is quite clear that Kurthnaga is a pacifist and influenced by the teachings of Deghinsea. While similar in temperament, it makes sense why their political views are so different, Micaiah is raised up in a militaristic country so despite her gentle nature, it makes sense that she's no pacifist. Also, this base conversation showcases his intelligent and shrewd mind. He managed to predict what Micaiah was about to say before she even said it and read her feelings like a book. Kurthnaga may not have the mind reading abilities that Micaiah has but his sharpness allows him to do just that. Despite not approving of Micaiah's actions, he gives her the renewal scroll showing us how compassionate he is. Once again we see Kurthnaga balancing his pacifist mindset with his empathetic mindset. Also this base conversation is proof that Micaiah is not a Mary Sue, not even in part one. Mary Sues make other characters act out of character just to make the Mary Sue look good. If Micaiah were a true Mary Sue, Kurthnaga would have changed his beliefs on the spot and supported Micaiah with zero hesitation which wouldn't have been difficult to write considering how similar the two are and the fact Kurthnaga sees Begnion's oppression first hand. Finally, we see that Kurthnaga's character flaw is that he gets scared near a battlefield. I can relate to that as someone who is living in a land without war and can get frightened if I'm too close to fireworks, let alone an explosion.  

Spoiler
Kurth (***)

Kurth: So, you’re staying, then?
Almedha: I appreciate your concern. However, I–
Kurth: You can’t leave Prince Pelleas’s side. Is that not so?
Almedha: That’s right.
Kurth: Then take this, at least.
Almedha: A sending stone?
Kurth: Do you remember how to use one?
Almedha: Of course I remember how to use one. But it’s such a precious gift… Are you sure about this? Thank you, Kurth.
???: Kurth! Where are you?
Almedha: I must go now.
Kurth: Please, remain safe.
Almedha: You as well.
Kurth: …
Micaiah: Kurth?
Kurth: Micaiah. How nice to see you.
Micaiah: Kurth, I’m leaving for Terin. I know this is sudden. To tell the truth, I’m surprised too.
Kurth: I see. You are off to perform your first duties as a general of this “Liberation Army.”
Micaiah: Yes.
Kurth: I abhor violence. I do not think you should fight.
Micaiah: Kurth, I’m not fighting because I enj–
Kurth: I know. I know you wish there were another way. And I understand that you feel this is what you must do to save your country.
Micaiah: …
Kurth: Here, take this.
Micaiah: What is it?
Kurth: May it serve to protect you. Micaiah, I must leave you now. I am going home to my own country.
Micaiah: What? So suddenly?
Kurth: I’m sorry, Micaiah. Being so close to battle frightens me, to tell the truth. Thank you for rescuing me. And thank you for the short time we spent together. I enjoyed it immensely.
Micaiah: Will I ever see you again?
Kurth: Who knows? Why don’t we… Yes. Let us leave it up to the goddess.
Micaiah: I suppose we must.

Obtained renewal

Part 3

Almedha messages Kurthnaga and asks him to save his son. Kurthnaga now has to make a difficult choice much like Rajaion did long ago. He shows that he can be very deceptive considering his explanation for being out late in the night makes sense given that he loves to look at nature and he didn't lie either because he was also doing that in the cutscene

Spoiler

Almedha:
“Please… Please save him. Please save my son. Come save my Pelleas, I beg of you…”

After Battle (Daein Library)

Pelleas:
“I’ve found it! This is it! A way to break the blood pact! Thank the goddess… I will be able to save my people after all.”

After Battle (Goldoa Lakeside)

Ena:
“Prince Kurth? What are you doing out so late? Looking for something?”

Kurthnaga:
“Oh, hello, Ena. No, I was just looking at the moon. Its reflection on the lake is quite lovely, isn’t it?”

Ena:
“Yes, quite.”

Kurthnaga:
“…”

When the Daein army has pretty much collapsed, Kurthnaga shows up in the moment of truth and makes a pretty badass entrance showing us the power of the Goldoan dragons and why their power is feared. His power was so immense that the entire Laguz Alliance is forced to fall back. There are plenty of powerful dragons in the series but other than Deghinsea and the dragon gods, Kurthnaga might be the most powerful because while armies lead by various lords like Marth and Roy have fought plenty of dragons, none of their armies were forced to fall back at the sight of just one dragon and I reckon Ike's army is a lot stronger. Just look at Tibarn, an extremely brave and powerful guy who went toe to toe with Zelgius, yet even he started freaking out at the sight of Kurthnaga and we all know how powerful Zelgius is. Being able to casually destroy a massive fortress is no small feat because defensive buildings take a lot of time to construct and are very valuable for defensive warfare and a pain to lay siege to but if you have Kurthnaga on your side, he can just casually wipe out a fortress that was able to fit 10000 soldiers. That's totally broken. Seriously, who needs a lot of military equipment, strategies/tactics, charisma, dedication and time when you can just wipe out armies and their infrastructure with ease? Also, Kurthnaga's entrance hypes up Deghinsea because unlike his son, Deghinsea is a lot older, bigger and has actual combat experience so when you confront him in the endgame, the player can feel the dread of having to fight none other than the legendary King of Dragons. 

Spoiler

Ulki:
“It’s flying toward us… The flapping sounds heavier than a wyvern… It sounds huge.”

Tibarn:
“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me… All units, get down! NOW!”

(Movie plays – A Black Dragon wrecks a castle)

(Image of Elincia and Ena in front of a Black Dragon)

Ena:
“All of you are ordered to throw down your weapons and cease fighting! Do this for your own welfare.”

Ike:
“Ena! Elincia! What’s going on here?”

Ranulf:
“It’s a black dragon of Goldoa…”

Ike:
“Tibarn, what’s going on?”

Tibarn:
“Why are you asking me? All I know is that I’m not ready to step up to a black dragon. Did you see that blast?”

Ike:
“Point taken. All units, retreat! Platoon commanders, gather your men!”

Spoiler

Ike:
“That black dragon is Prince Kurthnaga? Sheesh, I thought the lions got big…”

Tibarn:
“Ah, it’s the son, is it? I thought maybe the dragon king had shrunk a bit in his old age.”

Kurthnaga's initial intentions with the use of force was to stop the fighting so that the two sides can have a ceasefire followed by peace talks. So we see that Kurthnaga is sticking to Deghinsea's pacifist ideals but unlike his father, Kurthnaga is now starting to embrace the use of force for the greater good. Basically we see Kurthnaga's beliefs evolve from someone who didn't believe in the use of force at all to someone who believes it can be justified when it can stop additional bloodshed. 

Spoiler

Ena:
“The prince hopes to avoid the complete destruction of Daein and its people. We would like to ask you to implement a cease-fire and hold a peace talk.”

When Micaiah spills the beans to Kurthnaga, she requests Almedha to give more information on the blood pact but if Pelleas dies Almedha refuses to do so as she's depressed. Kurthnaga shows us his charisma by convincing the sullen and stubborn Almedha to stop keeping secrets and to calm down.  

Spoiler

(If Pelleas is dead)

Micaiah:
“Queen Almedha! Queen Almedha… What do you know about the blood pact? You know some thing, don’t you? I saw the look on your face… You noticed something even before Pelleas told us about the pact. If there’s something you know that we don’t, please tell us!”

Almedha:
“Heh heh…hmph…”

Micaiah:
“L-Lady Almedha?”

Almedha:
“Haven’t… Haven’t you done enough already? It’s done, finished. Nothing matters anymore…There’s nothing we can do. My Pelleas… My Pelleas is…”

Kurthnaga:
“Almedha! Get ahold of yourself!”

Almedha:
“Kurth?”

Kurthnaga:
“I can’t pretend that I know what you’re going through, but, for Pelleas’s sake, you must control yourself. Remember that your son made his final sacrifice in order to protect the people of Daein! Honor his memory now and help us.”

Almedha:
“…Sniff… You’re right, Kurth. I’ll try.”

Once again Kurthnaga shows us his intelligence when he figures out that Pelleas doesn't have to die to break the blood pact and instead they can track down the Senator instead because it takes two people to make a contract. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga:
“I do understand, Almedha… more than you realize. Everyone, as you’ve heard, there are two conditions to breaking the blood pact: the destruction of the physical document and the death of the pact-maker. However, it takes two parties to make a pact.”

Anyhow from this point on, Kurthnaga is no longer the peaceful arbitrator we once knew him as. He has decided to fight on Daein's side for the sake of his sister and nephew. His meeting with Almedha ended up developing both their characters because Kurthnaga is no longer the pacifist that we once knew and Almedha has become an apologetic individual even though before she was quite proud and arrogant. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga:
“Of course, my dear sister. That is why I came when you called me. I shall protect Daein for you and for Pelleas. So please. Put your mind at ease.”

Almedha:
“Oh, Kurth, thank you! I’m so sorry for everything I put you and Father through… I’m so sorry…”

The Daein army no longer has the defensive positions of castle Nox and even with those, they were hopelessly outmatched but with Kurtnaga and Nailah supporting the Daein army, the Daein army can still fight on even when Micaiah leaves the battlefield which goes to show just how powerful Kurthnaga is which is further compounded by the fact that Nailah, the other powerhouse keeping Daein afloat, hypes him up without bringing up her own power level. Nailah, like Tibarn, is pretty cocky, so it goes to show that Kurthnaga was more essential to the Daein Army's survival than Nailah herself. 

Spoiler

Micaiah:
“Thank you both. It means a lot to me. But are you sure? After all, this seems like a hopeless battle.”

Nailah:
“It’s too soon for you to give up hope. You have the dragon prince of Goldoa on your side. That counts for something.”

Micaiah:
“Kurth is the prince of Goldoa? So, he is a laguz…”

Nailah:
“Not just a laguz. He is a black dragon. The black dragons are the strongest of all the laguz tribes. We have a chance.”

Despite Kurthnaga's resolve, his nonviolent nature still shows on the battlefield where he shows a lot of hesitation and is clearly an emotional train-wreck but despite that, his power keeps the Daein Army from collapsing.

Spoiler

Ike vs Kurthnaga

Ike: Prince Kurthnaga!
Kurthnaga: It’s so hot… I’m burning up! My body, it’s on fire!
Ike: Can you hear me? I guess not. Kurth, what’s happening to you?
Kurthnaga: I don’t want to fight… I… I don’t want to take any more lives…

Others vs Kurthnaga

Kurthnaga: Don’t come near me! I can barely… I don’t want to do this! Get away!

Part 4

Despite not having any experience with how armies function, Kurthnaga was thoughtful enough to suggest giving the sending stones to the herons so that all three armies can communicate. 

Spoiler

Ena:
“May I have a moment before we leave? Prince Kurth has requested that I pass these out to the herons.”

(Image of the sending stones)

After going through the ordeal of fighting a battle, Kurthnaga is traumatized and unable to participate in the next two battles. As a matter of fact, he's so scared of blood that he can't talk to Ike until he puts down his bloodied sword. So while Kurthnaga makes an effort to become braver in part three, it resulted in him becoming even more frightened. 

Spoiler

Ike:
“Ena, are you all right? Why didn’t you transform?”

Ena:
“I didn’t want Prince Kurthnaga to be frightened, so I tried to hold them off in this shape. He hates blood…”

Ike:
“This can’t go on. I’m going to talk to him.”

Inside the tent

Ike:
“Hey, Prince Kurthnaga!”

Kurthnaga:
“…Eyuhhh…ugh… Stay away!”

Ike:
“What’s wrong? Don’t you remember me?”

Kurthnaga:
“…Aughhh…that smell… The blood…on your sword…”

Ike:
“What, this? No problem. I’ll go drop it over there. Hey, look… No sword. Are you OK now?”

Kurthnaga:
“Y-yes.”

In Kurthnaga's conversation with Ike, we learn that he's interested in reading books which makes sense because he's very intelligent and a deep thinker. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga:
“No, it was nothing at all. Actually, it was quite an experience… I had only read of beorc in books, so meeting one was a rare privilege. I wasn’t really myself, so I hope I didn’t say or do anything rude. It’s embarrassing when I think about it now. I’m sorry.”

Finally, we see some more development from Kurthnaga when he feels better after the conversation with Ike. Kurthnaga is quite the secretive introvert but he finally realizes that talking to people about his own problems is better than leaving them concealed. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga:
“Actually, it makes me feel a little better just talking about it.”

Endgame

Kurthnaga has to come to terms with the fact he'll be fighting his own father and the rest of his tribe even though before endgame he was too frightened to even be near a battle. He has once again gained the resolve he temporarily gained at the end of part three but this time it is permanent and far greater than before. Meanwhile, he also learns more about his father and ends up respecting him even more which makes it even more painful to confront his father but commits himself regardless. Also, unlike Sanaki, who wasn't able to accept that Sephiran was on Ashera's side until he revealed his plans, Kurthnaga doesn't try to make excuses about his father and interrogates Nasir about why his father has joined Ashera even before Nasir reveals to him the purpose of his visit. This goes to show he isn't naive and can see the unfortunate reality with clarity without emotions clouding his judgement. He can put the pieces together by himself without it having to be spelled out. 

Spoiler

Yune:
“Good job, everyone! All three teams got here, and a little faster than I thought you would. While you were traveling, I went around recruiting more help, including King Caineghis here. Unfortunately, it looks like Ashera had the same idea. By the time I made my way to Goldoa, there was no one there.”

Kurthnaga:
“Wh-what do you mean? Where were they?”

Tibarn:
“If you’re saying what I think you’re saying, then we could have a very big problem. Lots of very big problems.”

Yune:
“I don’t know for sure, Tibarn. There aren’t a whole lot of dragons altogether, but… It looks like every one of them joined Ashera.”

Kurthnaga:
“How…how could this be?”

Yune:
“I haven’t seen them anywhere else on Tellius, so they must already be inside the tower. Let’s camp for the night before walking into Ashera’s own home.”

Spoiler

Nasir: Prince Kurthnaga. I am glad to see that you are safe. And Lady Almedha, as well. It has been a long time. We haven’t seen each other in over ninety years, I believe.
Almedha: Nasir… You returned to Goldoa?
Nasir: Yes.
Kurthnaga: Nasir, I need to know something. Why has Goldoa sided with Goddess Ashera!? What is Father thinking? The laguz and beorc have joined together to save the petrified. Why hasn’t Goldoa joined the effort?
Nasir
: As you wish. Lady Almedha… Are you aware of the fact that everything that’s happening is due to your decision to leave Goldoa?
Almedha: …What?
Kurthnaga: Explain, Nasir.
Nasir: King Dheginsea forbade the dragon tribe to use our transformation for the purpose of war. Almedha, you left because you did not agree with this policy, did you not?
Almedha: That’s right.
Nasir: Shortly after you left Goldoa, you met Ashnard in Daein and were united with him. However, your union begat a chain of tragedies. Did you know that the red dragon platoon which went in search of you was captured and turned into Feral Ones by King Ashnard?
Almedha: I-I had no idea.
Nasir: Ashnard needed Goldoa to get involved in his war. That’s why he did everything in his power to provoke King Dheginsea. Most of you have never fought in a war, but even more than other laguz, the dragon tribe loses control once they taste battle.
Kurthnaga: Oh…
Nasir: Near the end of the war, we found out that Prince Rajaion could not be saved. I thought the king would surely go on a rampage. At the time, we had no idea that Lady Almedha was still alive. The king thought he’d lost not only dragon soldiers but also his children.
Ena: …
Nasir: If the war had ended any later… Had Ike not killed Ashnard… Goldoa would have joined the war. And we would have started killing. We would have destroyed the Daein army, its coconspirators, everyone. We would not have stopped until the continent was ashes. Then the spirit of chaos would have spread across Tellius, awakening the goddess and destroying the dragon tribe. That was the danger we faced in the Mad King’s War.
Kurthnaga: …
Ena: But Ashnard was defeated. And Rajaion regained his sanity thanks to the songs of the heron clan.
Almedha: …Sniff… Bwuah… Sniff…
Nasir: We escaped annihilation once. We took Prince Rajaion’s body back to Goldoa. And the king did not shed a tear, nor fly into a rage. He endured his loss by himself. He endured for the sake of his last child, and for the sake of his people. Goldoa remained neutral.
Kurthnaga: Father…
Nasir: But now… All that effort has been wasted. The war between the Laguz Alliance and Begnion has spread through Daein and Crimea. And to top it all off, Goldoa can no longer stay neutral because of what Prince Kurthnaga has done!
Kurthnaga: You’re saying this is my fault…!? That I’ve started a war that my father tried to avoid?
Almedha: No, Kurthnaga! This was my fault. You fought because of me.
Ena: This was not Prince Kurth’s fault! Besides, the goddess Yune was not awakened by chaos sweeping across Tellius. She was awakened by the galdr of release!
Nasir: By a galdr!? Are you certain?
Ena: Yes. That was what Sir Ike said.
Nasir: That’s…very strange. Nevertheless, the end result remains the same. Goddess Ashera has rendered her judgment. The laguz and beorc must follow her decision.
Ena: What…!? Nasir!
Nasir: I’ve come here as a favor to the king. Prince Kurthnaga, you have to return to us. At once.
Kurthnaga: If we just accept Ashera’s judgment, we’ll all be turned to stone! That’s the end of history as we know it! Do you expect me to just lie down and accept that? How can I? What you’re asking is insanity! I won’t do it.
Nasir: And you, Ena?
Ena: I feel the same as Prince Kurth.
Nasir: Then I have nothing more to say to you. However, I hope to avoid fighting my own people if at all possible.
Ena: Nasir…
Almedha: …What will you do on the battlefield, Kurth? Will you face your father as an enemy?
Kurthnaga: …I will do whatever I have to.

Granted, Kurthnaga hoped that his father could be talked out of fighting on Ashera's side but his hope wasn't inherently wrong because after being defeated in the fight, Deghinsea ended up agreeing that Ashera must be stopped. Deghinsea was just being stubborn and his defeat humbled him enough to listen to reason. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga:
“Father, no! Why must we fight? There must be a way to talk this through.”

Kurthnaga is willing to accept punishment for his actions in part 3 which goes to show his selflessness as well as regret for breaking Goldoa's neutrality. Yet of course, he can't allow the innocent to get punished for the crimes of a few. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga talks to Nasir

(Kurthnaga can attack Nasir, but Nasir will not attack Kurthnaga)

Kurthnaga: Nasir! You must talk to my father! Convince him to stand down!
Nasir: … We have committed two crimes. We ignored the will of our king, and in so doing let war rise once more. We must atone for our sins.
Kurthnaga: … I am willing to accept my own punishment. But is it right that the innocent — women and children who have never lifted a weapon — are also turned to stone?
Nasir: You can’t change my mind. I have made a solemn vow that I will never again betray my king.

After being made king of the dragon tribes and after a history lesson by Gareth and Nasir, Kurthnaga becomes firm in his convictions and has no regrets at this point. He has also increased in his respect for his father despite seeing the flaws in his father's line of thinking. Furthermore, this base conversation once again shows us that Kurthnaga is good at second guessing what someone will say before they even say it. This is intellectually very impressive considering how this is the first time he's listening to this history lesson and how convoluted and hard to accept this story is. To this day I have a hard time wrapping around my head at the lore this game throws at you let alone being able to make sudden deductions the first time reading the script. 

Spoiler

Gareth: I am about to tell you a very old story–a story you should know, as the new king of Goldoa. This is one of the oldest and most heavily guarded secrets in all of Tellius. You’ll find no trace of it in any histories or sagas.
Micaiah: If it’s that important, maybe we should go somewhere else. Other people might hear us.
Gareth: Hmm. What do you think, Nasir?
Nasir: I called upon Lady Micaiah because I felt that she should know the story as well. No… I think now is the time to let everyone know. Would that be all right, Your Majesty?
Kurthnaga: There will be no secrets from now on. Tell us everything.
Gareth: As you wish, Your Majesty. In the dawn of this age, after the goddesses began their long slumber, the kingdom of Begnion was established. In those early days, laguz and beorc lived side by side in harmony and peace. Yes, that kingdom would become the Begnion Empire. The hero Altina was chosen to be the kingdom’s first queen. Lehran supported her as an advisor…and as a husband.
Micaiah: What!?
Nasir: Despite their differences, Lehran and Altina loved each other very deeply.
Kurthnaga: The people accepted a marriage between a laguz and a beorc?
Nasir: That was what King Dheginsea said. This was before the people thought of such differences. They saw only a queen and her husband.
Gareth: At this time, King Dheginsea also created his own kingdom far from other laguz tribes and beorc nations. He believed that the dragon tribe was too powerful to interact equally with other tribes and peoples. That kingdom became Goldoa.
Nasir: Begnion had been established for four years when King Dheginsea received news that Altina had become pregnant. The news brought great joy. You see, the news was also quite surprising. There had been other unions between beorc and laguz, but until Altina’s pregnancy, no children had ever been conceived. Indeed, hers was the first child ever to be born of beorc and laguz.
Gareth: As close friends of both Altina and Lehran, both King Dheginsea and Soan rejoiced at the news. The child would be the first to carry the joined blood of both laguz and beorc. The king said that the baby would become a symbol of peace between the two peoples.
Nasir: But joy over the child’s birth did not last. Soon after the child was born, Lehran lost all the powers of the laguz. He could not transform any longer, nor could he sing galdrar.
Gareth: It became apparent that the child of such a union neutralizes the laguz parent’s powers. To make matters worse, the child bears only the characteristics of a beorc.
Nasir: Lehran felt he was no longer a true laguz, and felt he could no longer act as a bridge between the goddess and the people of Tellius. He lost hope, and also his mind…at least temporarily. He attempted suicide several times, which is an unthinkable taboo for anyone who has sworn to serve the goddess.
Gareth: King Dheginsea fell into despair. If people caught wind of this news, he believed it would create a deep rift between the two peoples. The king was especially concerned about the reaction from the laguz. They might interpret the birth as a herald of their eventual end. Some might even attempt to harm the child.
Kurthnaga: Lehran needed to hear the voice of the goddess then more than ever before… But he could no longer sing the galdr of release. Is that what happened?
Nasir: Just so. Lehran was forced to make a very difficult decision to protect the peace between beorc and laguz. He decided to retreat into seclusion and consider the problem. Once he regained his sanity, he announced his decision.
Gareth: Lehran was forced to ask the unthinkable of his wife, his aides, and close friends For the sake of Begnion, you must tell the people that I died in an accident. Tell them the birth was merely a false rumor.
Nasir: Lehran left the medallion to his tribe, moving to Goldoa under King Dheginsea’s protection. He simply disappeared from history after that.
Gareth: After Lehran had left and life returned to normal, Altina eventually welcomed a beorc husband. She raised the child she’d had with Lehran as though it were an ordinary beorc child, born of her new husband. Since then, marriages between laguz and beorc have been forbidden. It became known as a crime against the goddess.
Nasir: Even so, the taboo was broken several times over the next few decades. Usually no child was conceived, but when there was, it was swiftly covered up. The parents soon learned what it meant to bear a child who possessed both laguz and beorc blood. After they learned of the consequences, none of these parents ever rejected the edict forbidding it.
Gareth: The child was to be raised by the beorc parent, and raised as a beorc child. That should have been enough to hide everything, end of story.
Nasir: It was several generations later that the certain descendents began to manifest physical marks which indicated their ancestors’ sins. Fortunately, this mark looked very similar to the marks on those protected by spirits. They could pass as students of the dark arts for at least a few years. Unfortunately, the Branded lived much longer than beorc.
Gareth: Most Branded chose to hide, living outside of ordinary society, and they disappeared into the shadows of history. Rumors had already begun to spread across Begnion, however. The Branded were shunned and cast out wherever they lived. Where the laguz held power, they persecuted the Branded and executed them in honor killings.
Micaiah: That’s horrible!
Gareth: It was King Dheginsea’s opinion that these were crimes that he had to carry on his conscience. From the beginning, he realized that he and the others in power had made a mistake. They understood that they should have revealed everything about Altina and Lehran’s child. The people should have been told the truth. But since they’d kept the truth from everyone, the Branded were marked as unclean, persecuted wherever they traveled.
Nasir: Here is the family tree for Lehran and Altina’s bloodline. Only King Dheginsea knew the truth. Until now.
Kurthnaga: Father… You’ve had to endure this burden alone for so long.
Gareth: It was the same in Lady Almedha’s case. When she lost her powers after giving birth to the Mad King’s son, King Dheginsea had no choice but to hide the truth from everyone. So he chose to hide Almedha from everyone. Better to deny her existence than be forced to explain long-hidden secrets.
Nasir: In the process, he’d lost someone even more dear to him. Prince Rajaion. He deeply regretted his decision when he learned of the prince’s death. The only choice left for King Dheginsea was to remain stubbornly neutral in all wars on the continent. He hoped–in vain–to keep the goddess from waking up before the thousand years had elapsed.
Kurthnaga: I’m such a fool… I had no idea what Father went through. All I did was deny what he fought for.
Micaiah: Kurth…
Gareth: Your Majesty. You are the king now. You know that it is a sin to fight against the goddess, and yet you’ve chosen to move forward.
Nasir: King Dheginsea left everything to you. You must succeed. Do not be afraid of what lies beyond. Forge ahead.
Kurthnaga: I understand. I shall be true to my convictions. I have no more doubts.

In a talk conversation between Kurthnaga and Lehran, we learn that Kurthnaga was always fond of him even as an infant. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga: You're Lehran...

Lehran: Prince Kurthnaga... How you've grown.

Kurthnaga: You know who I am?

Lehran: I resided in Goldoa for more than seven hundred years.

Kurthnaga: I... I had no idea.

Lehran: That's because I was kept in hiding. But I did meet you several times,
    when you were just an infant.

Kurthnaga: I remember a...a mysterious man with black wings. Was that you? I
    always thought it was a dream...

Lehran: ...

Kurthnaga: I was always so fascinated by that man and his songs... I remember
    him well, and fondly.

An interesting observation I was able to pick up was that Kurthnaga's political ideology is a mixture of Lehran and Deghinsea. Basically Lehran is an internationalist and Deghinsea is an isolationist. Kurthnaga's actions throughout PoR and RD put him somewhere in the middle which makes me think that Kurthnaga was also influenced by Lehran in his infancy. 

Spoiler

Unknown:
“We must save them. Even now, as we speak, countless laguz slaves endure Begnion chains. They suffer terribly.”

Dheginsea:
“We have done all that we will do.”

Unknown:
“Admonitions and censures change nothing! Now is the time for the dragon tribes to use their strength to save the oppressed laguz!”

Dheginsea:
“Goldoa does not interfere with the outside world. As king of dragons, I will not allow my people to fan the flames of war. Conflict on the scale you describe will wake the goddess and call down her judgment upon us all. This is the path to destruction. A thousand years… That is how long we swore to the goddess that there would be no war. Have you forgotten our covenant?”

Unknown:
“Of course not. Yet…there are laguz who are treated as less than livestock. I cannot believe that this is what the goddess wants.”

Dheginsea:
“Goldoa will not move. This decree stands from the time our nations were formed. The goddess has not yet slept one hundred and fifty years. Would you see the laguz and beorc destroyed? Would you see all of Tellius awash in blood? No, unless destruction comes to seek us at our door, Goldoa will not move, for the sake of future generations.”

Unknown:
“Tell me, do you care nothing for the laguz who suffer in the current generation? Do you think it would comfort them to know that you condone their misery?”

Dheginsea:
“All things require sacrifice.”

Lastly, note that Ashera hypes Kurthnaga for being the strongest non divine being alive. This means Kurthnaga is stronger than Ike. Take that Ike fans. 

Spoiler

Kurthnaga vs Ashera

Ashera: Ah, son of the dragon king… You may be the greatest among the enfleshed, but you are no match for me.
Kurth: Goddess Ashera, please listen to me. We know that we are clearly imperfect, but you, unnaturally created of pure order… Might that not be considered an imperfection?
Ashera: No, I am perfect. Free of emotion, I have no doubts. Therefore I commit no errors.

Epilogue

Being true to his character, his ending has him maintain peace and arbitrate conflict. Quite a fitting end which stays true to both his character while respecting his father's legacy. 

Spoiler

Young Dragon Prince – Kurthnaga

Kurthnaga spents his days arbitrating conflicts between nations, guarding the peace so many had died for.

Edited by Icelerate

4 hours ago, SavageVolug said:

A very solid analysis of Kurthnaga. Sometimes I wish we could have played the game from Kurthnaga's perspective as he's a great character and I feel he could have made a great protagonist.

Thanks. I agree, I think his character arc is solid enough for a lord to follow and be a compelling FE protagonist. If Radiant Dawn had a sequel in the far future, I can see Kurthnaga being one of the few characters to be alive. 

4 hours ago, Rose482 said:

Kurthnaga was always one of those characters that i really liked, but felt like no one ever talked about him, so i'm really glad you made this <3

Agreed. People always talk about the character development of Soren, Elincia, Sanaki, Pelleas, Skrimir and Jill but always seem to overlook my boy Kurthnaga. 

3 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I've always loved Kurthnaga and I think, a lot like Nailah, he's pretty overlooked in the grand scheme of things. I wish he wasn't because he was a very well developed character even with the little that we ended up actually seeing of him.

He most certainly made great use of all the screen time he was given. Speaking of Nailah, where do you think her power level stands at? I think she's on par with Tibarn but inferior to Kurthnaga. Not talking about in game stats because that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to story portrayal. 

29 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

He most certainly made great use of all the screen time he was given. Speaking of Nailah, where do you think her power level stands at? I think she's on par with Tibarn but inferior to Kurthnaga. Not talking about in game stats because that doesn't necessarily mean anything when it comes to story portrayal. 

I don't think any of the royals delude themselves into thinking they're on black dragon level. Kurthnaga made Ike gtfo. The only thing the other royals may have on Kurth is experience in warfare... and trickery in Naesala's case. In a straight fight he'd destroy them. But I believe most of the royal laguz are about on par with one another, though their skills may lay in different areas.

Caineghis is strongest, Tibarn fastest, Naesala trickiest, and Nailah the most well rounded. I also think there's something to say for Lehran saying she could talk him out of his mindset when he believed no one else could.

On 26/03/2018 at 9:20 PM, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I don't think any of the royals delude themselves into thinking they're on black dragon level. Kurthnaga made Ike gtfo. The only thing the other royals may have on Kurth is experience in warfare... and trickery in Naesala's case. In a straight fight he'd destroy them. But I believe most of the royal laguz are about on par with one another, though their skills may lay in different areas.

Caineghis is strongest, Tibarn fastest, Naesala trickiest, and Nailah the most well rounded. I also think there's something to say for Lehran saying she could talk him out of his mindset when he believed no one else could.

I personally think Deghinsea>Caineghis>Tibarn/Nailah>Naesala. How come you think Tibarn is faster than Naesala? In both games, Naesala has the higher speed stat and in RD a better speed growth as well as speed cap. Sure gameplay and story are not always integrated as in the case of Kurthnaga but Naesala is portrayed to be someone who is good at fleeing. I think Lehran meant Nailah can bring forth a compelling argument delivered in an assertive manner more so than anyone else. 

Since you're the only one who commented on all three of my character analysis threads, you get the honor of deciding which character I should do next. I was leaning towards doing one on Pelleas but Deghinsea is my next favourite character. Pelleas is a more controversial character and has a lot of character development that I can talk about so he seems to be a more interesting choice to me. 

Edited by Icelerate

10 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I personally think Deghinsea>Caineghis>Tibarn/Nailah>Naesala. How come you think Tibarn is faster than Naesala? In both games, Naesala has the higher speed stat and in RD a better speed growth as well as speed cap. Sure gameplay and story are not always integrated as in the case of Kurthnaga but Naesala is portrayed to be someone who is good at fleeing. I think Lehran meant Nailah can bring forth a compelling argument delivered in an assertive manner more so than anyone else. 

Since you're the only one who commented on all three of my character analysis threads, you get the honor of deciding which character I should do next. I was leaning towards doing one on Pelleas but Deghinsea is my next favourite character. Pelleas is a more controversial character and has a lot of character development that I can talk about so he seems to be a more interesting choice to me. 

I think Caineghis would have issues fighting either Tibarn or Nailah. He's incredibly strong sure, but they're both smaller and faster, making them much much harder to hit. Not to mention both are experienced fighters just like him. So I'd still put them at equals.

As for game stats I don't really count caps and growths when looking at characters vs each other. If Kurth had entered with his stats I really don't see him leveling a fort. Anyway I put Tibarn as faster because Naesala says Tibarn can beat him and he is faster than Nailah and Caineghis. Naesala may be faster in terms of growth but he's never shown it in my games xD To me, Naesala's main strength comes from how tricky he is. He's the most likely to pull stunts and he's the most successful at actually carrying them out.

Spoiler

Nailah: Who would've guessed that a madman on the other side of the desert would somehow threaten Hatari?
Sephiran: Hatari. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see it. The wolf tribe has survived all this time in the far corner of the world. Only the goddess could have known that.
Nailah: Perhaps even she didn't know it. Your goddess isn't perfect, you know. Does an imperfect goddess have the right to judge imperfect beings?
Sephiran: I see your point. Does the creator retain the right to destroy her creations when they are no longer what she envisioned? I imagine we could discuss this sometime... if only we had more time. I believe you alone might be able to sway my opinion on this, Lady Nailah, Queen of Wolves.
Nailah: You have too many opinions. I'm done talking.

Lehran literally says he believes her alone can sway his opinion of his convictions. If that doesn't speak to her intelligence and way with words, I don't know what does. (Though to be fair I adore Nailah xD)

That's a great honor and you certainly didn't have to do that!

Since you just did Kurth, I would hold off and do his father after the next one. Between the two, I'd go with Pelleas.

If you ever do a Nailah one please be sure to tag me! She needs more love! Mist too!

I always liked Kurt.  It was interesting to see the big castle destorying dragon actually be a sissy. The game didn't skirt around his cowardice either. His inability to act really can get Michaia killed and when it happens Kurth voices his awareness that he could have prevented that. With Kurth overcoming his fears he has a nice, if underplayed arc.

7 hours ago, Silver-Haired Maiden said:

I think Caineghis would have issues fighting either Tibarn or Nailah. He's incredibly strong sure, but they're both smaller and faster, making them much much harder to hit. Not to mention both are experienced fighters just like him. So I'd still put them at equals.

As for game stats I don't really count caps and growths when looking at characters vs each other. If Kurth had entered with his stats I really don't see him leveling a fort. Anyway I put Tibarn as faster because Naesala says Tibarn can beat him and he is faster than Nailah and Caineghis. Naesala may be faster in terms of growth but he's never shown it in my games xD To me, Naesala's main strength comes from how tricky he is. He's the most likely to pull stunts and he's the most successful at actually carrying them out.

Reveal hidden contents

Nailah: Who would've guessed that a madman on the other side of the desert would somehow threaten Hatari?
Sephiran: Hatari. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see it. The wolf tribe has survived all this time in the far corner of the world. Only the goddess could have known that.
Nailah: Perhaps even she didn't know it. Your goddess isn't perfect, you know. Does an imperfect goddess have the right to judge imperfect beings?
Sephiran: I see your point. Does the creator retain the right to destroy her creations when they are no longer what she envisioned? I imagine we could discuss this sometime... if only we had more time. I believe you alone might be able to sway my opinion on this, Lady Nailah, Queen of Wolves.
Nailah: You have too many opinions. I'm done talking.

Lehran literally says he believes her alone can sway his opinion of his convictions. If that doesn't speak to her intelligence and way with words, I don't know what does. (Though to be fair I adore Nailah xD)

That's a great honor and you certainly didn't have to do that!

Since you just did Kurth, I would hold off and do his father after the next one. Between the two, I'd go with Pelleas.

If you ever do a Nailah one please be sure to tag me! She needs more love! Mist too!

Well Nailah is another overlooked character but I don't have that big of an interest in analyzing her character at the moment. I think you should join in the fun and analyse characters like me to show that Radiant Dawn has a strong cast of characters. Nailah would be a good start. 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, Icelerate said:

Thanks. I agree, I think his character arc is solid enough for a lord to follow and be a compelling FE protagonist. If Radiant Dawn had a sequel in the far future, I can see Kurthnaga being one of the few characters to be alive.

Lehran and Ashunera do discuss in their brief moment together at the end war is happening again 1200 years later. The question is what "later" means here. Does later mean post-Ashera and Yune debacle, in which case Kurthnaga may have died of old age? Or does it mean 1200 since Ashunera broke in two? Which given that happened in -155 TC, would mean ~1045 TC is when Ashunera would return, which exactly 400 years from the outbreak of the Mad King's War, and thus Kurthnaga barring unforeseen circumstances should still be King of Goldoa and probably not even in middle age yet.

Overall, great character writeup, I do like Kurthnaga myself. Our second shotakete, the first being Nils, and a rather fleshed out side character on top of that, using two tiny appearances in PoR and only a moderate amount of screentime in RD to accomplish this. Pacifist for good reasons, kind, at the same time powerful beneath the surface, no matter how much he does not want to use that power. His Ike conversation in RD was touching, and he makes a good brother to Almedha. I just wish he had more playtime (why not 4-4?).

I'd add that, while it is to provide testimony against Naesala, his appearance in the Laguz Kings meeting in PoR would I personally inferred to hint  that Dheg was consciously trying to inculcate him as heir with some firsthand observations of proper Goldoan politics and diplomacy. Given his other two children have flown the coop into tragedy, Dheg was probably very attentive to setting Kurth on the right path.

Now I'd love to do an in-depth character writeup myself, for Skirmir, the unsung true protagonist of Part 3 Laguz Alliance, but I don't have the time to do that right now.

Thanks for the write up. I had always liked the compassion he showed to others but he has quite a character arc to go along with it. He is definitely a solid foil for his isolationist father.

On 01/04/2018 at 1:26 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lehran and Ashunera do discuss in their brief moment together at the end war is happening again 1200 years later. The question is what "later" means here. Does later mean post-Ashera and Yune debacle, in which case Kurthnaga may have died of old age? Or does it mean 1200 since Ashunera broke in two? Which given that happened in -155 TC, would mean ~1045 TC is when Ashunera would return, which exactly 400 years from the outbreak of the Mad King's War, and thus Kurthnaga barring unforeseen circumstances should still be King of Goldoa and probably not even in middle age yet.

Overall, great character writeup, I do like Kurthnaga myself. Our second shotakete, the first being Nils, and a rather fleshed out side character on top of that, using two tiny appearances in PoR and only a moderate amount of screentime in RD to accomplish this. Pacifist for good reasons, kind, at the same time powerful beneath the surface, no matter how much he does not want to use that power. His Ike conversation in RD was touching, and he makes a good brother to Almedha. I just wish he had more playtime (why not 4-4?).

I'd add that, while it is to provide testimony against Naesala, his appearance in the Laguz Kings meeting in PoR would I personally inferred to hint  that Dheg was consciously trying to inculcate him as heir with some firsthand observations of proper Goldoan politics and diplomacy. Given his other two children have flown the coop into tragedy, Dheg was probably very attentive to setting Kurth on the right path.

Now I'd love to do an in-depth character writeup myself, for Skirmir, the unsung true protagonist of Part 3 Laguz Alliance, but I don't have the time to do that right now.

I don't really know. I read that the 1200 years later is after the first war between the two goddesses but there's not hard proof either way. Since Sephiran hasn't aged a bit, I think Kurthnaga would still be alive unless herons live a lot longer than dragons. 

I agree, he should have been playable in 4-4 since the Ike conversation was a defining moment for him to overcome his fear of blood. He should also come with better base stats to represent the fact he's a power house. 

I never thought of it that way, I guess that's something I can save for my Deghinsea character analysis later on. I wonder why Skrimir wasn't present in the meeting. Wouldn't Caineghis want to instil diplomacy and politics in the young potential heir to the Gallian throne? 

Yeah Skrimir had a nice character arc and I'd like to see more respect being given to him. Radiant Dawn did a fantastic job of developing characters in positions of authority IMO.  Steadily filling this section with a large number of character analysis will hopefully improve the quality of threads on this forum and inspire further critical thinking. 

• 4 weeks later...

I wished we saw more of Kurthnaga's relation with Ena. They seem close enough and Ena confirms that their bond is strong enough to communicate telepathically through sending stones. They could have presented a sort of sibling bond between the dragons since Ena is Kurth's sister in law. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2018 at 12:18 AM, Icelerate said:

Lastly, note that Ashera hypes Kurthnaga for being the strongest non divine being alive. This means Kurthnaga is stronger than Ike. Take that Ike fans. 

Hide contents

Kurthnaga vs Ashera

Ashera: Ah, son of the dragon king… You may be the greatest among the enfleshed, but you are no match for me.
Kurth: Goddess Ashera, please listen to me. We know that we are clearly imperfect, but you, unnaturally created of pure order… Might that not be considered an imperfection?
Ashera: No, I am perfect. Free of emotion, I have no doubts. Therefore I commit no errors.

^ I was completely unaware of this conversation x.x ...Mostly due to me never engaging Ashera with anyone not named Ike.

...This was an enjoyable read. I really love in depth analysis, Especially about Tellius characters. This also just opened my eyes to the fact; how Lord-like is Kurth in actuality. Pacifist, but willing to do anything for his family and country. Characters like Kurth are the reason I desperately want a Tellius remastered version. It saddens me how over-looked Kurth and Sephiran are.

P.S. Kurth can make Tibarn tremble, there is no way Ike could compare. XD...All the Laguz royals could actually destroy Ike one on one. 

5 hours ago, Skyla said:

^ I was completely unaware of this conversation x.x ...Mostly due to me never engaging Ashera with anyone not named Ike.

...This was an enjoyable read. I really love in depth analysis, Especially about Tellius characters. This also just opened my eyes to the fact; how Lord-like is Kurth in actuality. Pacifist, but willing to do anything for his family and country. Characters like Kurth are the reason I desperately want a Tellius remastered version. It saddens me how over-looked Kurth and Sephiran are.

P.S. Kurth can make Tibarn tremble, there is no way Ike could compare. XD...All the Laguz royals could actually destroy Ike one on one. 

Yeah there's no reason to ever attack her with Kurthnaga. I like reading boss quotes posted on SF. It improves my view on the story and characters whenever I do it. RD has the best boss quotes by far IMO. 

Please feel free to check out my Micaiah and Tauroneo analysis as well. 

I think Ike is stronger than Tibarn. It was stated in the extended script of RD that the Hawk King and Zelgius were on par in strength. That makes Ike stronger than Naesala as well. 

Spoiler

Ike:
“…Is it to do with General Zelgius?”

Ranulf:
“Yeah… When you cross into Begnion and if you meet him… No, it would be better if you didn’t meet him…”

Ike:
“He’s a man able to match the Hawk King’s strength. He wouldn’t have turned to stone. I’m pretty sure we’ll see him…”

Spoiler

Ike
The crow king himself is cooperating with Daein?

Janaff
Yep. And compared to the other crows, the king is in a class by himself. Obviously, he's no match for our king, but... Anyway, you should move carefully. 

In the epilogue, Ike wanted to test his strength against Caineghis of all people who is stronger than all beast laguz, so I think at this point, Ike is stronger than Nailah since he doesn't choose to challenge her. It implies he's on Caineghis' level because I doubt the writers would have a matured grown up Ike challenge someone far stronger than him. 

Spoiler

Caineghis:
“Ah, Ike. Your work out there was superb.”

Ike:
“Hey, you aren’t quite over the hill yet yourself. You know, I always wanted to go one-on-one with you, just once.”

Caineghis:
“Hah, I would have expected you’d had your fill of fighting.”

Ike:
“I’ve had enough kill-or-be-killed to last me a lifetime. But something simpler, some way of testing our respective strengths…”

Caineghis:
“You mean controlled matches, with all the little rules they have. In a peaceful world, we need such things. Especially we laguz. Without a fight now and then, we go a bit strange in the head.”