Who are your favorite characters in the franchise?

Guest Dreamyboi

Guest Dreamyboi

Exactly what the title says, who are your favorite characters and why?

They can be from any game in the series and there can be multiple.

I'd ask for least favorites but I don't want this to turn into a predictable Fateswakening hate circle.

Julia

Spoiler

I like how she changes from a very weak girl to someone with the courage and will to face someone who she cares for deeply. She's also a very good unit. Also gotta love her final line where she says she isn't scared anymore. Always seemed so powerful to me.

Finn

Spoiler

The most loyal knight in the series and his devotion to his lord Quan /Ethlyn and Leaf is very admirable and it makes the events that happen in FE4/5 all the more tragic. It's one thing to say you're loyal, it's another when you're willing to starve just so your lord and daughter can survive. There's also that line that mentions he hasn't smiled or laughed in years and that one makes me always feel so bad for the guy.

Tine

Spoiler

She's the most well developed character in gen 2. Seeing her change from a girl who was abused by her aunt to someone who stands up to her is always a joy to see. She also has a great romance conversation with Seliph that shows how much she has grown.

Adult Tiki

Spoiler

She's a non-loli dragon that has lived for a very long time and struggles with that fact and I'm a sucker for characters like that. Of course that's not all there is to her. Her wisdom and dedication to mankind are also things I like about her character.

Jill

Spoiler

A character that was taught to be a racist but slowly trough out her journey realizes that everything she was taught was wrong. What's worse is that while she realizes all of this she's fighting the country that taught her these things...resulting in some difficult confrontations for her. Even more bonus points for her still believing in her country in the sequel but still willing to abandon it when she realizes the people in power are going too far again.

Edited by Hekselka

Bastian, L'arachel, Owain, his daughter Ophelia, Mitama, Arthur, Sain, Athena. 

Just love over-the-top colourful personalities in general. 

Edited by Vince777

Archanea: Marth, Caeda, Minerva (pretty standard...)

Valentia: Celica, Saber, Sonia

Jugdral: Lewyn, Finn, Eldigan, Lachesis, Leif, Altenna

Elibe: Roy, Zephiel, Guinevere, Lyn, Nino, Jaffar

Magvel: Ephraim, L'Arachel, Lyon

Tellius: Ike, Elincia, Micaiah, Jill, Nephenee, Pelleas

Ylisse: Maribelle, Cherche, Gerome

Fatesworld: Leo, Oboro, Camilla

It was tough but I limited it to 3 per world except worlds with more than 1 appearance (except Fates bc they aren't true sequels and Archanea bc those are the only ones I would describe as favourites).

I've got a lot of favourites, but I'll just pick three.

1. Luthier.

I can relate to him in a way. The way he's always wanting the best for Delthea, and wanting her to be loved by all is something I resonate with, as I wish the same for my siblings. Plus, I like his character as a whole. Find him quite attractive, too!

2. Gaius

A thief with sticky fingers. Literally. I find Gaius charming as a whole, and love how he doesn't ask for thanks or gratitude, as displayed in the Summer Scramble Supports with the MU. He pulls his own weight for the Shepherds, while being extremely modest about it. Plus he's attractive, so that's a bonus.

3. Finn

His undying loyalty is extremely admirable. Hekselka's explanation summarises how I feel towards Finn, all in all.

I love a lot of characters but the one that has remained my favourite is Kent. 

I really like his design in his game, and I love the way he is in general. He's really serious, but then he comes across people like Farina, who he doesn't handle too badly but not amazingly, leading to my favourite support conversation. 

To be fair, I've always loved the loyal knight type, and he was my first of the FE series. It could have easily been Seth or Geoffrey, who also have great designs and have the loyal knight thing going for them. Kent has to build the respect a more than the former, though, since Seth is already renowned as the Silver Knight, and he's calmer than the latter, who gives into his emotions a bit more. 

Annoyingly, whenever I say this, people always say that Sain is better. Maybe for them, but I prefer Kent for who he is, even if others may find him boring -.- 

Edited by Cute Chao

My favorite charather is locked at August from Thracia 776

He's the best, most confrontational of the Tactican type charathers.  He exposes FE4 Gen 2 Lewyn/Forseti awful behaviour by contrast.  

Most of my other favorite charathers are mostly for gameplay personality.

Guest Dreamyboi
25 minutes ago, Reality said:

My favorite charather is locked at August from Thracia 776

He's the best, most confrontational of the Tactican type charathers.  He exposes FE4 Gen 2 Lewyn/Forseti awful behaviour by contrast.  

Most of my other favorite charathers are mostly for gameplay personality.

Gameplay personality?

Edited by Dreamyboi

6 minutes ago, Dreamyboi said:

What did Lewyn do?

I think I include it in my thoughts on the old FE4 story criticism thread.

Most it comes from this Chapter 19 conversation and what August says after you beat the final boss. - The crux of my problem is that - when August first joins Leif, he views him as a figurehead, and is simply convenient because he can be used to rally an army due to the legend's about his survival which the likes of  (August) himself spread.  August goes on to imply that Lewyn has the same relationship with Seliph. In fact, Lewyn is even August's superior. However, over the course of FE5, August's relationship with Leif actually evolves, and he recognizes that Leif's own innate qualities helped him to accomplish his tasks, and not just "the social engineering / plans that August laid in place. The ultimate victory over Trabant and the Blume is ultimately something that August could never have predicted Lewyn would manage to do. Because of this, Leif is able to be a real hero, instead of one that is "made".

Meanwhile, in FE4 - Lewyn never has a similiar moment of ephiphany, and in fact, like the early game August, basically assumes treats Seliph like a figurehead that he created from the begining to the end - Not even filling him in on details like whetehr it's possible to fight Julius/ Book of Naga existing. Seliph's ability to attract people to him, his heroism, succesfully libearting the first few countries, are all (in my opinion) undermined by having Lewyn as a strategist under these conditions. If the "child of light" is not a prophetic figure, but just a propaganda campaing, then the ultimate respnsbility for saving the country cannot lie with the actual lord, but must lie with Lewyn instead. Honestly my problem with Gen 2 Lewyn is basically the same as other people have with Kris in FE12 - It's impossible for me not to see him stealing credit (narrative wise) for what Seliph does. 

Chapter 19-

August:
“Yes. Ah, Lord Celice’s father was your uncle. Lord Sigurd… He was called a villain just a decade ago, but now he’s quite popular. He recognized the schemes of the Emperor before anyone else, and died fighting to protect the world. Bards spread his story far and wide, and now he’s become a legendary hero. And his son, Lord Celice, is fighting to fulfill his father’s wishes… The people are overjoyed. They wouldn’t hesitate to give their lives to his cause. It’s the perfect scenario.”

Leaf:
“…What are you trying to say?”

August:
“What I’m saying is that Lord Celice didn’t earn his fame on his own. The times require a hero, and someone is setting him up to be one. Heroes aren’t born, Lord Leaf. They are made.”

Leaf:
“Does that mean I was made by you?”

August:
“Think what you will.
…But I will say this. Count Dorias lost his arm to protect you in the past. And now he has lost his life to save yours. Why did this happen? Why are you being kept alive to that extent? Why are you being called a hero at all? Think about that, Lord Leaf…”

Final Map Convo-

Leaf:
“No… It’s all thanks to you, August. You were the one who led me, and taught me to be a strong leader. Without you, I would have been completely lost. Thank you, August… I’m glad I was able to meet you. You have my eternal gratitude.”

August:
“Well, well… Perhaps now is the time to tell you. I offered to become your advisor because I was ordered to do so by…one of my superiors. Frankly, at first I didn’t think we would be able to liberate Northern Thracia. However, after seeing you keep trying and never giving up…I began to feel hope, and I found myself believing in you. My words in the past may have been insulting… Forgive me, Lord Leaf.”

I've always had a soft spot for the original lolli dragon Tiki. Not sure why, I can't really make much comment on her personality outside of Awakening (where I liked her, but she was crimminally under utilized in the story) and it's not like I have a weakness for lollis in general, just her. Might come down to something as shallow as her fantastic gameplay utility, which I feel like the other dragons in the series just don't match.

4 hours ago, Reality said:

I think I include it in my thoughts on the old FE4 story criticism thread.

Most it comes from this Chapter 19 conversation and what August says after you beat the final boss. - The crux of my problem is that - when August first joins Leif, he views him as a figurehead, and is simply convenient because he can be used to rally an army due to the legend's about his survival which the likes of  (August) himself spread.  August goes on to imply that Lewyn has the same relationship with Seliph. In fact, Lewyn is even August's superior. However, over the course of FE5, August's relationship with Leif actually evolves, and he recognizes that Leif's own innate qualities helped him to accomplish his tasks, and not just "the social engineering / plans that August laid in place. The ultimate victory over Trabant and the Blume is ultimately something that August could never have predicted Lewyn would manage to do. Because of this, Leif is able to be a real hero, instead of one that is "made".

Meanwhile, in FE4 - Lewyn never has a similiar moment of ephiphany, and in fact, like the early game August, basically assumes treats Seliph like a figurehead that he created from the begining to the end - Not even filling him in on details like whetehr it's possible to fight Julius/ Book of Naga existing. Seliph's ability to attract people to him, his heroism, succesfully libearting the first few countries, are all (in my opinion) undermined by having Lewyn as a strategist under these conditions. If the "child of light" is not a prophetic figure, but just a propaganda campaing, then the ultimate respnsbility for saving the country cannot lie with the actual lord, but must lie with Lewyn instead. Honestly my problem with Gen 2 Lewyn is basically the same as other people have with Kris in FE12 - It's impossible for me not to see him stealing credit (narrative wise) for what Seliph does. 

Reveal hidden contents

Chapter 19-

August:
“Yes. Ah, Lord Celice’s father was your uncle. Lord Sigurd… He was called a villain just a decade ago, but now he’s quite popular. He recognized the schemes of the Emperor before anyone else, and died fighting to protect the world. Bards spread his story far and wide, and now he’s become a legendary hero. And his son, Lord Celice, is fighting to fulfill his father’s wishes… The people are overjoyed. They wouldn’t hesitate to give their lives to his cause. It’s the perfect scenario.”

Leaf:
“…What are you trying to say?”

August:
“What I’m saying is that Lord Celice didn’t earn his fame on his own. The times require a hero, and someone is setting him up to be one. Heroes aren’t born, Lord Leaf. They are made.”

Leaf:
“Does that mean I was made by you?”

August:
“Think what you will.
…But I will say this. Count Dorias lost his arm to protect you in the past. And now he has lost his life to save yours. Why did this happen? Why are you being kept alive to that extent? Why are you being called a hero at all? Think about that, Lord Leaf…”

Final Map Convo-

Leaf:
“No… It’s all thanks to you, August. You were the one who led me, and taught me to be a strong leader. Without you, I would have been completely lost. Thank you, August… I’m glad I was able to meet you. You have my eternal gratitude.”

August:
“Well, well… Perhaps now is the time to tell you. I offered to become your advisor because I was ordered to do so by…one of my superiors. Frankly, at first I didn’t think we would be able to liberate Northern Thracia. However, after seeing you keep trying and never giving up…I began to feel hope, and I found myself believing in you. My words in the past may have been insulting… Forgive me, Lord Leaf.”

Bearin mind, Gen 2 Lewyn isn't actually a human. He's an ancient dragon god stealing his body. With that in mind, I'm kind of okay with him being all aloof and manipulative. He might love humans, but we're still something he sees as needing protection more so than being equals.

Edited by Jotari

My favourite characters of the franchise are Sigurd and Caeldori.
Sigurd is for me the ideal lord,  he is a realistic lord who is fighting for his country and family. He is a really reliable person and fullfills the last whish of his father. After all is his trust in his friends his end, but he dies as a true hero.
Caeldori is in my opinion the pearl of the newer games, she is hard working and has the feeling to be in the shadow of Subaki, she also is realistic and knows that true perfection is just a illusion.Aside of her main trait is Caeldori really kindful and cares a lot about the army and her friends.
In this glorious franchise are far more noteworthy characters in my point of view, but I think these both are my top two and it should not become too much.

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

I've always had a soft spot for the original lolli dragon Tiki. Not sure why, I can't really make much comment on her personality outside of Awakening (where I liked her, but she was crimminally under utilized in the story) and it's not like I have a weakness for lollis in general, just her. Might come down to something as shallow as her fantastic gameplay utility, which I feel like the other dragons in the series just don't match.

Bearin mind, Gen 2 Lewyn isn't actually a human. He's an ancient dragon god stealing his body. With that in mind, I'm kind of okay with him being all aloof and manipulative. He might love humans, but we're still something he sees as needing protection more so than being equals.

I kind of like Holsety/Lewyn because of this. It's one of the first times we see a full-fledged dragon interacting with the cast in a meaningful capacity(Tiki's way too young in FE1-3 to really get an idea on dragons). And the way Holsety acts is pretty in-line with a dragon that loves humanity, but still subconsciously sees them as kind of "beneath" him, and thus tries to take the reins and steer them towards success, rather than leave them on their own and have them fail. 

But as an advisor and as a character, I do agree August does better.

Anyway, to the topic at hand... 

Homer, Canas... You put purple hair on a mage and I'll probably like them a whole lot. I even like using Hugh, mostly because I hate using Lugh and Lilina's too much of a wild card. Lewyn, too, so I guess to go along with Homer, I just tend to like party boy bards.

Miledy's really cool. I like her character and she's a beast in FE6. Boyd I like, too. He comes off as a more socially adjusted Ike, even if he's kind of an idiot(Though he's not an exaggerated idiot like Bartre, or even more extreme, Vaike). I like that he also becomes somewhat of a gentle giant after starting off as the hot-headed rival.

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

I kind of like Holsety/Lewyn because of this. It's one of the first times we see a full-fledged dragon interacting with the cast in a meaningful capacity(Tiki's way too young in FE1-3 to really get an idea on dragons). And the way Holsety acts is pretty in-line with a dragon that loves humanity, but still subconsciously sees them as kind of "beneath" him, and thus tries to take the reins and steer them towards success, rather than leave them on their own and have them fail. 

Well we probably get as much interaction with Gotoh between the two games that he appears in, but your comment has just kind of made me realise he doesn't feel all that inhuman. Xane I think kind of comes across as a trickster god with his pranks and non serious nature, yet still important exposition rolls. But Gotoh just feels like a wise old wizard guy. A human wise old wizard guy (there's also Bantu but he's a side character so nobody cares about him :cry:).

Just now, Jotari said:

Well we probably get as much interaction with Gotoh between the two games that he appears in, but your comment has just kind of made me realise he doesn't feel all that inhuman. Xane I think kind of comes across as a trickster god with his pranks and non serious nature, yet still important exposition rolls. But Gotoh just feels like a wise old wizard guy. A human wise old wizard guy (there's also Bantu but he's a side character so nobody cares about him :cry:).

I honestly forget Gotoh is a dragon(I just did). Xane also doesn't feel... Genuine? I guess? Hard to explain, but I don't think he's a great representation of how dragons are. 

Olivia's pretty close to a dream girl for me; she's a beautiful, sexy, and cute belly dancer, and I'm an absolute sucker for demure, gentle, submissive girls. I even married her to Robin.

Sumia may not be shy like Olivia, but she's got major waifu points as well.

Cordelia might just be the prettiest girl in Awakening if not the series, though Azura gives her strong competition. I love that she can get Armsthrift, makes her one of my favorite units. I wish she could get together with Chrom, though I'd feel sorry for poor Sumia.

Lissa, Elise, and Sakura are adorable imoutos.

Nino in Heroes is adorably smol and does her best. She looks like Saria from Zelda! She has a lot of the imouto appeal going on too.

Chrom resonates strongly with me. His "only sane man"  portrayal in the Xenologue chapters is also highly entertaining.

Frederick's a badass.

Stahl's generally a nice guy.

Four per each FE game I played:

Sacred Stones: Forde, Joshua, Lyon, Cormag

Awakening: Chrom, Virion, Frederick, Inigo/Laslow

Fates: Takumi, Oboro, Shiro, Kaden

Echoes: Python, Forsyth, Conrad, Tobin

Some of these characters I like because I find them to be well-written with interesting backstories (Joshua, Forde, Virion, Cormag, Conrad, and Oboro), some I like for having fun personalities that resonate with me (Frederick, Inigo/Laslow, Shiro, Kaden, and Tobin), and the rest I like because of their relatable characteristics (Takumi, Chrom, Lyon, Python, and Forsyth).