How do you feel about possessed/corrupted villains?

Guest Dreamyboi

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Well if he was in any way smart, he would have had mad orgies all the time and ensured that his blood was spread to every last citizen of his empire to make his revival pretty much a guarantee.

Well, mad orgies certainly didn't help Lima keep the Zofian bloodline going. But more offspring wouldn't hurt. 

some of them were okay but for the most part i'm not a fan of it. i think the problem was most prominent in fates though. why can't someone just be evil? the game would have been so much better that way instead of what they did with garon. i don't like lyon either and i think he would have been better if he had just lost it instead of being possessed by a demon king and that being his only reason. i might be missing something with lyon though since i've never actually finished a run where i went ephraim's route since i dropped the run where i went ephraim's route after beating the ephraim exclusive maps. on the other hand i think it was done a little bit better with julius because he was still just an evil piece of shit and they didn't just try to make it like the villain is possessed and isn't actually evil just for the sole purpose of having the villain not actually be evil. i liked hardin too because of how he ended up becoming possessed and because he was a more interesting character before and afterwards than garon or lyon. i think a lot of the time having a villain be possessed just takes away from the character when they could instead have the villain have real reasons to do what they're doing if they really want to make a villain who isn't truly evil.

6 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Well, mad orgies certainly didn't help Lima keep the Zofian bloodline going. But more offspring wouldn't hurt. 

That's because Lima lacked the strength of Duma to keep his people in line. Loptyr doesn't care what the people think. He'll just shoot a dragon at their face and they'll do what he says, because they can't even look at him funny without getting their attack halved. Though seriously speaking, if Lima really got around that much, then there's probably dozens of royal bastards around the place that just aren't accepted as his children. Celica's probably best marrying Alm, because he's the only person in half the continent she can be absolutely certain isn't his brother.

On 3/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, Jotari said:

Celica's probably best marrying Alm, because he's the only person in half the continent she can be absolutely certain isn't his brother.

Iceland Silesse invented an app for this long before Jugdralian Count 1738 (which is Archanean 606/Valentian 403- the year Gaiden ends). Well for determining whether two dating people are cousins, but it should work for half-siblings as well. Unfortunately Jugdral enacted the ESTVAT continental invisibility and flight system by that point and enacted a strict non-interaction policy with the savages on the surface below. So Celica never got to use it.

On possessions and corruptions, Valter being corrupted by a cursed lance hurts him in my eyes. He was fine being bad to the bone as is, serial killers don't need magical objects to go that way. Eirika!Lyon was a pity magnet who isn't that great, but the more subtle possession of Eph!Lyon is good. Nergal is an unsympathetic husk of a human being, so is Gharnef. Ashnard's corruption was for five seconds at the end of PoR, and mind you he maintained control over himself when he underwent it, it was less corruption and just a power boost, because Ashnard was already mad and is that strong to not turn into a brainless beast even touching the Medallion. 

And I don't like the idea that Grima!Robin is Grima possessing a good Robin. Lucina-future Robin should have chosen of their own volition to become Grima free of any corruption. Makes it more chilling that way and makes Robin more their own agent.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Iceland Silesse invented an app for this long before Jugdralian Count 1738 (which is Archanean 606/Valentian 403- the year Gaiden ends). Well for determining whether two dating people are cousins, but it should work for half-siblings as well. Unfortunately Jugdral enacted the ESTVAT continental invisibility and flight system by that point and enacted a strict non-interaction policy with the savages on the surface below. So Celica never got to use it.

On possessions and corruptions, Valter being corrupted by a cursed lance hurts him in my eyes. He was fine being bad to the bone as is, serial killers don't need magical objects to go that way. Eirika!Lyon was a pity magnet who isn't that great, but the more subtle possession of Eph!Lyon is good. Nergal is an unsympathetic husk of a human being, so is Gharnef. Ashnard's corruption was for five seconds at the end of PoR, and mind you he maintained control over himself when he underwent it, it was less corruption and just a power boost, because Ashnard was already mad and is that strong to not turn into a brainless beast even touching the Medallion. 

And I don't like the idea that Grima!Robin is Grima possessing a good Robin. Lucina-future Robin should have chosen of their own volition to become Grima free of any corruption. Makes it more chilling that way and makes Robin more their own agent.

Is there any evidence to suggest the original Robin was an unwilling host? I always took it that he was conflicted but ultimately decided to betray Chrom. Grim even says the only thing that differenciates the two were their choices (remember, due to the mind wipe, Future!Grima and Present!Grima are very different people).