What are things you're sick of seeing in FE?

Guest Dreamyboi

29 minutes ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

bows how they were handled in Echoes

Wait, really? You didn't like how bows were handled in Echoes? I'm curious as to why you feel this way.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait, really? You didn't like how bows were handled in Echoes? I'm curious as to why you feel this way.

Yeah same here I love how bows were handled in echoes. Didn't love bow knights thought quite as much due to 1-5 range and stupidly high move 

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

1 hour ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

You're comparing a fair weight system (no buffer) to one that isn't even close to fair. :facepalm:

I don't see what was so good about Con as a determining factor in AS - compared to no buffer and Strength as a buffer it was obviously unfair.

How is it inherently unfair?

Edited by Jotari

Guest Dreamyboi
7 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I agree. Especially after SoV. I like the story and feel it mostly succeeds, but the complaint that the themes of classicism are undermined by the reveal that both protagonists are actually royalty is very legitimate. 

I would enjoy another protagonist that isn't a big deal at first.

Wouldn't be a problem if the writers didn't try to slap a needless classism theme into a story that didn't need it, the way it was explored is so by the numbers it's like they did it just because they could.

Guest Dreamyboi
8 hours ago, Hawkwing said:
  • People complaining about every little thing in the series.
  • Whenever the games have permadeath but aren't designed with it in mind.
  • The games never telling you how many support points someone has with another unit.
  • The games never telling you a units growth rates directly. Especially since they could display this information in another slide/page in some games.
  • It was a neat twist that the most powerful dragon in the world looked like a little girl the first time around, but did they really need to play this trope straight every other time?
  • They go through the effort of creating male and female variations of classes, but then make every enemy unit a male. C'mon, you went through the trouble of modeling two different versions of the same class, so why don't you use them?!
  • Most of the series final bosses are dragons. I actually don't mind this in concept, I just wish the fights were more interesting and unique (and that there are more dragon fights elsewhere in the game).
  • You have to play half the series via emulator.

Especially that last one. You'd think they'd have started making virtual console versions of the older titles on the Nintendo Switch, the can't be happy with people emulating their games. Then again they ARE busy with Fire Emblem Switch soooo

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 4:54 PM, Dreamyboi said:

Finally; someone else has pointed this out. 

Anyway, some things I'm sick and tired of seeing in FE:

1. 10-year-old looking female playable manaketes (that usually are divine dragons). It's repetitive, boring, and weird. How about a young adult male wyvern manakete? It could be interesting, especially any support conversations he might have with wyvern riders in the lord's army. 
  2. Massive two-handed swords being used with one hand. It is theoretically possible, even with something the size of a zweihander, but it would be very tiring, very quickly.
  3. Young prince lords with bland personalities. Marth, Alm, Roy, etc. Lets have something different. 

5 hours ago, Jotari said:

How is it inherently unfair?

Easy. Low con units are stuck using worse weapons to avoid being punished for their lack of Con. Their attacking potential gets gimped either way, except one way also winds up with an evade penalty on top of that. Strategy and thinking goes down the tubes when you have cases of "this unit is so impaired by this weapon they can't use it". It's why dark magic generally was considered trash (at least in pre-Awakening games). It was too heavy, too inaccurate, and in the cases where it could be good, it weighs you down to an extent that it's not worth it. 

8 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

Easy. Low con units are stuck using worse weapons to avoid being punished for their lack of Con. Their attacking potential gets gimped either way, except one way also winds up with an evade penalty on top of that. Strategy and thinking goes down the tubes when you have cases of "this unit is so impaired by this weapon they can't use it". It's why dark magic generally was considered trash (at least in pre-Awakening games). It was too heavy, too inaccurate, and in the cases where it could be good, it weighs you down to an extent that it's not worth it. 

That's like saying low skill units are gimped because they miss attacks, so skill should be removed as a stat. Con is a stat, nothing more. Some units will have good con, some unit will have bad con. Units with bad con should have hightened stats in other areas, while units with good con should have lowered stats in other areas. It's no more inherently unfair than one unit having good strength while another unit has good speed.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That's like saying low skill units are gimped because they miss attacks, so skill should be removed as a stat. Con is a stat, nothing more. Some units will have good con, some unit will have bad con. Units with bad con should have hightened stats in other areas, while units with good con should have lowered stats in other areas. It's no more inherently unfair than one unit having good strength while another unit has good speed.

I don't see the comparison, considering that skill can grow, whereas Con is pretty much a static stat.

6 minutes ago, Levant Mir Celestia said:

I don't see the comparison, considering that skill can grow, whereas Con is pretty much a static stat.

And that is something I disagree with

13 hours ago, Jotari said:

When it comes down to it, regardless of how it actually was implemented, Constitution and Weapon Weight are just another additional parameters that make a unit stronger or weaker, and thus more distinct from other units of their class. It's just like skill or luck. You can have one mercenary that excels at speed and skill, but is bad in consitution, or you can have one that has great constution but falls down in terms of skill and speed. It's literally just another stat, one that encourages the use of multiple weapons. My only issue is that it should have a growth rate like it originally did in Thracia so a unit isn't theoretically doomed to always have speed loss.

@Jotarito be fair that was only in one game. In the GBA series they removed the growth rate for CON 

id be fine with CON if it could grow. Otherwise just use strength for physical units and magic for magical units for determining speed lose from weight.

Edited by DisobeyedCargo

I feel patricide may be a bit overused as a plot element. Granted I still have a number of games in the series to play.

11 hours ago, Tuvy said:

Am I the only person who likes these? Yes? Okay...

Nope. I actually enjoyed SoV’s maps for the most part. (Though I have to say the swamps were somewhat less).

I especially liked Nuiba’s abode as it required a different strategy to clear than other maps

Edited by Arcphoenix

1. Avatar characters.  

2. Children.  Unless it is like Genealogy where they are a major part/focus of the story, forget it.  Another thing that detracts from the story and world greatly just like avatars.

3. Sexualization of prebuscent characters.  No more Nowi, or marrying Elises and all that.  Eww.

4. No more extremely pandering fanservice such as Camilla's opening cut scene.  Yeah love those angles and close up of her T&A, and the best is the strong incestous tones in how she says come to big sister or whatever.  Oh yeah no petting, or the whole thing inviting someone into your room and touching their face or whatever.  

5. Speaking of incest.  That has been a long time theme of the series, however not a fan. 

6. All the shallow DLC content.  If they want to create a well constructed DLC Expansion of something fine, but most are small empty additions that are very money grubby.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yes, they have a huge range, but at cost of accuracy.

I never trained an archer or made a villager become one because they did not hit for shit.

Leon was decent but Python was unusable regarding stats for me.

Overall I found bows terrible in Echoes.

FE10 handled archers regarding class stats and bow range the best for me. Maybe the 30% loss for using a longbow from three range was too much punishment. It was the only game besides FE6 where bows were really good.

You can call this as an unpopular opinion if you want.

Some other things I don't want to see returning:

- constitution for weapon weight (Fates did it best imo)

Edited by Hecatia Lapislazuli

• Villains that are blatantly villains. It's mostly their appearance that bothers me, but their actions and dialogue aren't much better. Not every villain needs to be sympathetic, but it'd be nice if you stopped giving them off-color skin, black sclera, and making them disregard all appearances in front of their peers because they need to execute that PoW with no trial right NOW.
  • Female myrmidons who join later than their male counterparts, at a lower level, with nothing to offer over their male counterpart. Any non-Est character in a similar situation fits this role, but Marisa always stands out as the biggest offender. Especially considering the dialogue tries to set up Marisa as an established mercenary, but she joins ludicrously under-leveled, after you've gotten another myrm a billion years ago who joined with better stats than her.
  • Making every character support every other character. I appreciate how much effort this takes, but the writing just suffers as a result. I definitely want more than we had in SoV, but I don't want every conversation watered down/spread to thin. It also makes a lot of character development seem trivial. Yarne supports Severa and gets over his fear! Oh, but now he's supporting Brady and being a big coward again?
  • Being an archer with no benefits. SoV had super overpowered archers, Fates gave them thief utility, so this complaint has mostly been addressed. I just don't want to see anymore Wil, Wolt or Neimi situations. If you're gonna be locked to a player-phase only weapon(not in SoV), some benefit should come with that.
  • Player praise. I actually enjoy the concept of avatar characters, I just don't like how the rest of the cast interacts with them. I have many, many other complaints about avatars, but I just want it done better, not removed altogether.

I can forgive most of these sins though. My least favorite FE game is still an FE game, and I still love it.

-Fog of war
-Loli Manaketes
-Flat villians
-Dragons as the final boss
-Weapon weight

On 28.3.2018 at 10:54 PM, Dreamyboi said:

Lack of Politics (I think it'd be great if the conflict weren't as simple as just "Evil Nation vs Good Nation", use some imagination)

-It was time, that this becomes metioned.

6 hours ago, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

I never trained an archer or made a villager become one because they did not hit for shit.

I never had that problem. I mean, Python did suck but Archers were pretty good. Killer Bows are one of the best weapons in the game because of Hunter's Volley. Archer!Kliff is probably one of the best Archers in the series.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I never had that problem. I mean, Python did suck but Archers were pretty good. Killer Bows are one of the best weapons in the game because of Hunter's Volley. Archer!Kliff is probably one of the best Archers in the series.

Eh I do go with Archer Tobin as Kliff makes a good Mage but I digress

the way that Echoes handled archers was great. They need to keep it In

2 hours ago, Cornguy said:

Female myrmidons who join later than their male counterparts, at a lower level, with nothing to offer over their male counterpart. Any non-Est character in a similar situation fits this role, but Marisa always stands out as the biggest offender. Especially considering the dialogue tries to set up Marisa as an established mercenary, but she joins ludicrously under-leveled, after you've gotten another myrm a billion years ago who joined with better stats than her.

I had mentioned this, but on a grander scale:

On 3/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, Levant Mir Celestia said:

units that are outclassed by units you got earlier (I'm sick of all the Marisas, Wendys, and Sophias of FE; Binding Blade was especially bad about this)

Though I do think Marisa is a really egregious case of this. She can potentially join seven chapters after Joshua did.

4 hours ago, DisobeyedCargo said:

Eh I do go with Archer Tobin as Kliff makes a good Mage but I digress

the way that Echoes handled archers was great. They need to keep it In

Black Knight Kliff is best Kliff

I also enjoy Archers in Echoes, but I think Bow Knights having excellent movement ON TOP of insane range was a bit overkill, honestly.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:31 AM, Hecatia Lapislazuli said:

FE10 handled archers regarding class stats and bow range the best for me. Maybe the 30% loss for using a longbow from three range was too much punishment. It was the only game besides FE6 where bows were really good.

I have yet to play SoV, but frankly, I don't think RD did bows that much good... Marksmen get innate 3 range, but you probably won't have one until late in the game. Longbows were just bad. Crossbows were too niche. The Double Bow, good as it is, is irrelevant until the very end of the game.

Anyway...

Hybrid classes. I don't mind them for the most part, but it seems they ran out of ideas come Fates, since there's too many of them, and most of them are lackluster (Malig Knight is practically invalidated by Wyvern Lord, Oni Chieftain is laughable, Basara is invalidated by the alternate options, Grandmaster is a footlocked Dark Knight. That last one is especially disappointing since it's a DLC class). Anyway, the main problem they run into is that units that can actually do well with both magic and physical weapons are extremely uncommon. Is there any reason to take the hybrid class option when chances are the unit would be much better off focusing on whichever stat they were using before promotion???

See this female character that's supposed to be a main character? Yeah, she doesn't actually matter to the story, enjoy as we deep-throat the generic badass male lord who we assure you, is really the main character, and not that potentially interesting character you liked. Oh, and the fanbase will eat this guy up because he's a badass manly man which is all anyone cares about, and think you're crazy for getting sick of us doing this!

Please give us a solo female lord for once IS. No actually the main character male lord paired with them.

5 hours ago, Ether said:

See this female character that's supposed to be a main character? Yeah, she doesn't actually matter to the story, enjoy as we deep-throat the generic badass male lord who we assure you, is really the main character, and not that potentially interesting character you liked. Oh, and the fanbase will eat this guy up because he's a badass manly man which is all anyone cares about, and think you're crazy for getting sick of us doing this!

In addition to that bolded part, while the male Lord gets all the praise Lord, the female Lord gets all the criticism despite female Lords having this thing called actual flaws and getting punished for it.

Seriously for as much as people will rant about Ike, Ephraim, Alm, etc, being perfect Lords (and i say this as an Alm fan), they'll turn a blind eye to the female Lords (Celica, Eirika, Micaiah) who actually have flaws and get punished for it, even though that makes the female Lords better written. Then there's Lyn who isn't perfect but also doesn't really have much flaws and instead just gets forgotten by the plot.

Yeah, Intelligent Systems has a huge bias towards male Lords. Unless it's Heroes and Warriors where the male and female Lords both get equal treatment (i'm talking about the OCs) but the plot doesn't matter in those games.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

In addition to that bolded part, while the male Lord gets all the praise Lord, the female Lord gets all the criticism despite female Lords having this thing called actual flaws and getting punished for it.

Seriously for as much as people will rant about Ike, Ephraim, Alm, etc, being perfect Lords (and i say this as an Alm fan), they'll turn a blind eye to the female Lords (Celica, Eirika, Micaiah) who actually have flaws and get punished for it, even though that makes the female Lords better written. Then there's Lyn who isn't perfect but also doesn't really have much flaws and instead just gets forgotten by the plot.

Yeah, Intelligent Systems has a huge bias towards male Lords. Unless it's Heroes and Warriors where the male and female Lords both get equal treatment (i'm talking about the OCs) but the plot doesn't matter in those games.

I think the fanbase is the reason. IS simply makes games that please the fanbase. Perfect female characters in general get criticized more than perfect male characters, hence the term Mary Sue being coined long before Gary Stu. Furthermore, Eirika, Celica and Micaiah get a lot more flack for their flaws than Sigurd, Leif and Hector, etc. so imperfect female characters get criticized more than imperfect male characters. I don't blame IS for anything, you reap what you sow. 

While I can't speak for everyone out there, I think usually when it comes to female lords and their flaws it usually feels somewhat forced into the narrative. Like I have yet to play radiant dawn so I can't speak for micaiah but when it comes to celica and erika a lot of the time when their punished for their flaws it damsels them to some degree and it makes them look like complete idiots or just insultingly naive. Idk it just feels unnecessary and forced a lot of the time and then their male counterpart has to save them woopdiedoo!