Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age coming to PS4 and Steam September 4th, 2018 in NA and EU

Announced earlier today but I couldn't find a thread around here

Press release taken from Gematsu:

About

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age tells a captivating tale of a hunted hero and is the long-awaited role-playing game from series creator Yuji Horii, character designer Akira Toriyama, and series composer Koichi Sugiyama. As the eleventh mainline entry in the critically acclaimed series, Dragon Quest XI is a completely standalone experience that features entirely new characters, a beautifully detailed world, finely tuned turn-based combat, and an immersive story that will appeal to longtime fans and franchise newcomers alike. After its release in Japan, Dragon Quest XI won multiple gaming awards and received critical praise, including PlayStation’s Platinum Prize and a perfect 40/40 score from Famitsu (Japanese publication).

New Features

In addition to delivering over 100 hours of content, the western release of Dragon Quest XI will also feature several upgrades and enhancements that were not included in the Japanese release, including:

• English voice-overs
  • Draconian Quest, a hard mode that offers additional challenges for more experienced players.
  • Overhauled menus and user interface, with graphical enhancements and more intuitive navigation.
  • Camera Mode, allowing players to take in views of the beautiful landscape, character renders and ferocious monsters in detail.
  • A new dash function and many other system enhancements such as improved character and camera movement

First look at the Western version, has minor spoilers from the beginning of the game:

About the Switch and 3DS versions:

Square Enix said that it will not be localizing the 3DS version, but that the Switch version will be released in the west further down the line.

“We are also developing the Switch version for Europe and North America,” reads Square Enix’s statement, “but development is expected to take a long time from a technological standpoint as well, so we still have a long way to go until its release.”

While Square Enix did not announce a release date for the Switch version, it did confirm that it will not release in 2018, and could end up launching “much later.”

So either the Switch version is cancelled or Japanese developers are incredibly incompetent when it comes to the Unreal Engine 4 since it shouldn't take 2 years to port over.

This also confirms that the rumors circulating about a February Nintendo Direct featuring "slimes" was about Shin Megami Tensei V instead of Dragon Quest XI.

About time ! Come to papa my new DQ !

Good grief though, what is wrong with their release ? They often screw up, just what is happening with the studio ?

Fucking finally. The gap between Japanese and western releases feels more like the gap between an obscure game with like, 2 translators stuck in a room. 

Not the granddaddy of JRPGs. Square keeps trying to make DQ a hit outside of Japan, but they also keep treating the west like an afterthought. 

Though I suppose I shouldn't bite the hand that feeds, since the game's getting some swanky upgrades and VA. 

Edited by Slumber

• 2 weeks later...

I could play it on something other than the Switch, but I really really want this on the Switch.

I’m going to hold out as long as possible for the Switch version although I’m also really eager to play this game, so...

So happy about this ! It's a shame that Dragon Quest doesn't get much love in the West, though this might change things. Though I'm a bit upset that we are not receiving the 3DS version as well. RPGs are usually better to play in bed.

7 hours ago, Eurydice said:

So happy about this ! It's a shame that Dragon Quest doesn't get much love in the West, though this might change things.

It really is! One of my fave series, and the only games to really produce an emotional response in me. The only time I ever cried over a game was over a DQ game. 

10 hours ago, Slumber said:

That's a selling point to a lot of people. 

But it is weird for me cause I keep seeing Dragon Balls characters in DQ. For example, that guy in the trailer is very similar to Android 18! 

On 4/17/2018 at 9:50 PM, Magical CC said:

Never a fan of DQ because of the Dragon Balls artwork.

I actually really strongly dislike Akira Toriyama's art but it's somehow okay in the actual games. The monsters are even cute!