Giving the Archanean characters some personality.

The Roger The Paladin

Let's play a game within a game, and write a story within a story.

A common complaint I've seen about FE 1/3/11/12 is the lack of development of characters.
If that's a problem for you, we're going to fix it.

I propose that anyone who is interested in this game/challenge takes up an Iron Man of their chosen Archanea game.
From there we take notes of what happens (who kills bosses, who damages/defeats what enemies, what enemies kill your characters/supports that occur if FE12/conversations if FE 11)
When finished, we write it into a cohesive story. Or you could do it chapter by chapter. Whatever works. Building characters you're using in the story as it progresses (thoughts, backgrounds etc). Use what we know about them, head cannon, and anything you can come up with that fits canon and your playthrough.

I say "we", but given I'm mid-run of New Mystery, I'd have to restart so... really, at this point it's "you" until I've freed myself up again.
Good luck, and may your death count not be too high.

38 minutes ago, bremmelgod said:

Really seems like a really interesting idea. Can totally help to improve one's writing.

I thought it'd be a good way to turn the complaint that characters in those couple games generally have a lack of background and personality except for the more important ones. By doing things this way, I thought we could turn that into a positive (it's harder to do it with a game like the GBA games that already have character building). Maybe help players become more invested in the characters they usually wouldn't.

Interesting point of view. If I restart FE 12 I'll write down made up texts regarding conversations and battles of those characters without enough development.

Can be used in many games as well, never tought about this, at all.

Thanks for the great idea!

Edited by bremmelgod

3 minutes ago, bremmelgod said:

Interesting point of view. If I restart FE 12 I'll write down made up texts regarding conversations and battles of those characters without enough development.

Can be used in many games as well, never tought about this, at all.

Thanks for the great idea!

No problem. I was thinking of doing my own (when I get to it) into a bit of a short story with "books" and "chapters" in the vein of "Le Morte D'Arthur" (where the books are what you'd usually consider a chapter, and the "chapters" indicate a change of perspective. This way I could use the changes of perspective to frame parts of the story while making them the focus for a bit. Get into their thoughts, throw in bits of backstory to explain some of them. Minor little things that add a touch of depth.

Mind you, that's just my plan. I imagine everyone has a way of writing. Some of us, will doubtlessly focus on what happens between battles more than during, others will thrive on working with the battlefield, and others still will find there needs to be a balance. I can't say what I'll find because I'm yet to begin. The task is an adventure in itself.

4 hours ago, Mad-manakete said:

Let's play a game within a game, and write a story within a story.

A common complaint I've seen about FE 1/3/11/12 is the lack of development of characters.
If that's a problem for you, we're going to fix it.

I propose that anyone who is interested in this game/challenge takes up an Iron Man of their chosen Archanea game.
From there we take notes of what happens (who kills bosses, who damages/defeats what enemies, what enemies kill your characters/supports that occur if FE12/conversations if FE 11)
When finished, we write it into a cohesive story. Or you could do it chapter by chapter. Whatever works. Building characters you're using in the story as it progresses (thoughts, backgrounds etc). Use what we know about them, head cannon, and anything you can come up with that fits canon and your playthrough.

I say "we", but given I'm mid-run of New Mystery, I'd have to restart so... really, at this point it's "you" until I've freed myself up again.
Good luck, and may your death count not be too high.

Currently in college, left all my gaming consoles and portable devices at home to focus on studies, but I'll do this~ sooner or later...

Cain: Suprisingly good cook.

Abel: Awful cook.

Gordin: Is worried that he's not contributing much.

Merric: Wonders if he's only useful because of Excalubur, instead of him being actually good.

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2018 at 1:08 AM, Corrobin said:

Gordin: Is worried that he's not contributing much.

Merric: Wonders if he's only useful because of Excalubur, instead of him being actually good.

You know, I can completely see Gordin worrying about his contribution (given the prologue in FE11 had him as a hostage). Probably doesn't hurt the poor guy consistently turns out underwhelming when I do actually try to use him. The archer curse, you know.

Merric I can also see worrying about his usefulness, given he's given a pretty damn powerful tome from the outset. This becomes even more the case in Mystery of the Emblem Book 2 where his availability and bases hold him back, but instant Excalibur access and a chapter worth of wyverns soon after he's recruited help keep him viable.

As for Cain and Abel, I just can't help but think of Oscar and Sully respectively in those cases. I'll assume you've seen relevant supports demonstrating why.