Two Strategy Questions

jameslove001

I have two questions, one of which is for fun and the other is about your experience. First, the fun question:

A lot of people have suggested working on a good "triad" for the arena and to plug in a bonus unit as you see fit. Who is your triad? What is your all purpose team?

The second question is, especially for those of you making videos to help others, who are the 5-10 characters that we, your viewers, (or that you see in these videos) that everyone should have on deck?

4 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

A lot of people have suggested working on a good "triad" for the arena and to plug in a bonus unit as you see fit. Who is your triad? What is your all purpose team?

The simplest and easiest team to build right off the bat is BH!Lyn, Ursula, and Olivia since they are all free. Change their Weapon to Brave Bow, Blárblade, and Ruby Sword and that should take you to Tier 18 or Tier 19 with some merges and handle most PvE modes. Ideally, BH!Lyn should run Firesweep Bow instead, but Brave Bow is far more common, so Brave Bow will do until you can get Firesweep Bow.

You can also run a Triangle Adept dragon team if Enemy Phase combat is more your play style, but it is a little harder to obtain as Fae, Nowi, and Roy are in the 4* and 5* pool so you may not get them until you already have a decent team set up.

My Arena core consists of:
BH!Lyn [5*+10, +Atk, -Res, Firesweep Bow, Reposition, Aether, Swift Sparrow, Sacae's Blessing, Hone Cavalry, Close Def, Summoner Support]
Reinhardt [5*+10, +Atk, -HP, Dire Thunder, Reposition, Moonbow, Death Blow, Wings of Mercy, Hone Cavalry, Heavy Blade]
Olivia [5*+5, +Atk, -HP, Ruby Sword/Wo Dao [Res], Dance, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte, Hone Attack, Distant Def]

I throw them at everything. If it does not work, then I use other units. The only time I remember having real difficulty was during Berkut's Grand Hero Battle on Infernal, so I stepped outside of my comfort zone entirely and used double Hectors with Wings of Mercy shenanigans.

The second question is, especially for those of you making videos to help others, who are the 5-10 characters that we, your viewers, (or that you see in these videos) that everyone should have on deck?

I am not a video maker, but based on what I have seen, the best videos utilize free units and units form the 3* pool that most players can obtain easily, so availability is not really a problem. As long as you keep at least one copy of each Grand Hero Battle and Tempest Trial unit and free reward units, you will be fine.

Edited by XRay

That's three questions.

My Arena core is

+10 Mystery Tiki [+Spd, -HP] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Atk Smoke 3)
+10 Nowi [+Atk, -Res] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Distant Def 3)
+10 Fae [+Atk, -Def] (Lightning Breath+ [Def], Reposition, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Dragons, Atk Ploy 3)

I have two all-purpose teams that I use for most of the game's content. The first is my Arena core with the addition of one of the following:

+10 Ninian [+Spd, -Res] (Lightning Breath+ [Spd], Dance, Aether, Triangle Adept 3, Wings of Mercy 3, Fortify Dragons, Squad Ace D 3)
+10 Myrrh [+Atk, -Spd] (Great Flame, Reposition, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Hone Dragons, Iote's Shield)
+10 Bride Cordelia [+Spd, -Res] (Firesweep Bow+, Reposition, Luna, Life and Death 3, Cancel Affinity 3, Breath of Life 3)

The other is my armor team, which is generally a pick of 4 of the following:

+0 Zephiel [=] (Eckesachs, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Ward Armor)
+10 Gwendolyn [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Lance+, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Ward Armor)
+10 Sheena [+Atk, -Spd] (Killer Axe+, Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Ward Armor)
+10 Amelia [+Spd, -HP] (Slaying Axe+ [Spd], Swap, Bonfire, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Armor March 3)
+10 Hardin [+Atk, -Spd] (Gradivus, Swap, Aether, Steady Breath, Bold Fighter 3, Ward Armor, Quick Riposte 3)
+10 Grima [+Atk, -HP] (Expiration, Swap, Aether / Ignis, Steady Breath, Bold Fighter 3 / Vengeful Fighter 3, Ward Armor)

For characters that I think everyone should have in their box at least somewhat built, I'm going to limit it to characters that aren't 5-star exclusive or were available for free at 5-star rarity (less common substitutes in parentheses). These are my personal recommendations:

• Olivia
  • Nowi
  • Brave Ike
  • Nino
  • Black Knight
  • Xander
  • Camus
  • Reinhardt
  • Cecilia
  • Brave Lyn
  • Cordelia

EDIT: I forgot Cordelia was available as a 4-star pull.

Edited by Ice Dragon

My core three would be Cain, Felicia, and Sheena. I've saved tons of feathers for them and have no issue foddering 5* units for them. In roles:

• Cain: Well-rounded melee who can take on anything, including blue dragons.
  • Felicia: Mage killer, and her insane Spd gives her a chance to attack even most DC units (unless they have absurd attack or QR).
  • Sheena: Hardy tank, she struggles on the player phase, but baits almost anything and fully recovers through Aether counter

You might find that your core trio just happens to include units that the game gives you a million of. Brave Lucina is one of my highest scorers, not because I particularly care about her, but because I've had phenomenal luck.

Regarding on-hand units, it's not a unit specific thing, but more of a role thing. Think of what you encounter as enemies, especially the ones who give you a hard time. Every unit has a weakness, and even a common 4* unit with minimal investment can take out a decked 5*+10 if you're using them properly. At the very least, you'll want to think about having a unit of each weapon type, and going beyond that, units with different stat spreads that can handle a category of threats.

3 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

Who is your triad? What is your all purpose team?

My favorite Arena core is:

• +Atk/-Def Caeda (Talys's Heart): Wing Sword (Eff), Reposition, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Fortify Fliers, Def Ploy 3
    Checks mages and dragons, obliterates green armors, sustains herself with Aether, provides buff support to Corrin, and buff/debuff support to Myrrh (+6 Def to Myrrh and -5 Def to the enemy makes it very hard to break through Great Flame).
  • +Spd/-Res Corrin (Novice Vacationer): Blárblade+, Reposition, Aether, Swift Sparrow 2, Desperation 3, Goad Fliers, Squad Ace E 3
    Dedicated nuke for anything red.
  • +Atk/-Spd Myrrh (Great Dragon): Great Flame, Reposition, Aether, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Goad Fliers, Iote's Shield
    Handles blue things.

They're usually used with Alfonse, when he's in the bonus rotation, though I do take any excuse to use them when he isn't.

I don't really have a fixed all-purpose team, and usually just throw stuff together as I need it. Caeda, Tana, Azura (Celebratory Spirit), and Elise (Budding Flower) do tend to get thrown together a lot, though; they're pretty effective and usually satisfy quests for new chapters/paralogues.

3 hours ago, jameslove001 said:

For following free clears, you definitely want:

• Olivia
  • Wrys
  • Fjorm
  • Ike (Vanguard Legend)
  • Black Knight

Outside of that, it varies a lot. I've personally gotten a lot of use out of Narcian (killing lances, baiting just about everything else) and 5* Felicia (the Plate, even non-refined, is a very strong weapon). Donnel and comes in handy every now and again too.

16 minutes ago, LordFrigid said:

Outside of that, it varies a lot. I've personally gotten a lot of use out of Narcian (killing lances, baiting just about everything else) and 5* Felicia (the Plate, even non-refined, is a very strong weapon). Donnel and comes in handy every now and again too.

Gem weapon with breaker skills is definitely one of the best ways to get through AA. Feed a 3* Sully to Donny and he'll take on 5*+10 Zelgius with all the fixin's

As much as I like to think Catria is a fundamental part of my core arena team...

The usual suspects for Arena are:

+10 Beruka +Spd / -Res (Slaying Axe+ [Def], Reposition, Ignis, Fortress Def 3, Guard 3, Panic Ploy, Iote's Shield)

+10 Camilla +Atk / -Def (Carrot Axe+ [Res], Reposition, Iceberg, Distant Counter, Quick Riposte 3, Def Ploy, Atk Ploy)

+4 NY!Azura Neutral (Hagoita+ [Spd], Sing, Moonbow, Fury 3, Wings of Mercy 3,  Goad Fliers, Drive Def 2)

Beruka to tank melee fighters. Camilla to tank magic. And Azura to sing in support of her Nohrian allies. Perhaps Ward Fliers would be better for Azura in this case, but it's still 5* exclusive to Minerva, and I'm not willing to sacrifice her. She's part of my OG flier emblem team, after all.

For my all purpose team see above, but take out Azura and add these two:

+1 Catria +HP / -Res (Firesweep Lance+, Reposition, Luna, Swift Sparrow 2, Hit and Run, Goad Fliers, Atk Smoke 3)

+1 Minerva +Atk / -Spd (Hauteclere [Wo Dao refine], Reposition, Moonbow, Life and Death 3, Hit and Run, Ward Fliers, Heavy Blade 3)

Catria's pretty nice at taking out the enemy and getting away, or weakening them enough to easily take out. And Minerva also makes a pretty great attacker.

F!Morgan did steal Catria's place in my main team, for a while. She made a pretty nice enemy phase magic tank, too, even with her disadvantageous IVs, but I already have camilla for that, even if it's nice to have a mage.

+1 F!Morgan +Def / -Res (Blárserpent+ [Res],  Reposition, Iceberg, Mirror Stance 2, Guard 3, Goad Fliers, Distant Def)

Edited by Frenzify

My current Arena core is A!Tiki (5*+10 +Def/-Spd), Est (5*+10 +Spd/-Def), and Cecilia (4*+10 +Spd/-Def). Reinhardt has also spent a lot of time on the team (he's 5*+4 +Atk/-HP), but Est has largely taken his place, since she's fully merged and thus gives more points. I also sometimes drop Cecilia in favor of a Legendary Hero, since blessings give a pretty big boost to the Arena score.

I do not have an all-purpose team, and instead assemble teams tailored to meet the specific challenges they're going to face.

I feel like it would be better if the question were directed more generally. I'm not a video creator, and some creators aren't making videos for everyone, but are rather just doing the videos for whoever wants to watch and/or has the same units. The more popular creators typically will come up with strategies involving free or common units.

You should definitely have Sharena, Anna, and Alfonse fully built and promoted to 5*. Fjorm and VL Ike should be fully trained. There's no reason not to have those all up and ready on hand. I'd also expect most people to have BK as well, since, even if you're F2P, the BK starter pack is worth buying.

It's reasonable to expect that most people have Brave Lyn, since there was the CYL freebie and she's the strongest one of the group. She's also commonly on banners.

Reinhardt is one of the strongest units in the game and is available as a 4*. Olivia is a free dancer. Cecilia is free, and so is Xander.

My arena core is Fjorm (a jack of all trades unit who can fit multiple roles), Ike (Distant counter swordlords FTW!), and Dierdre (an 'anti-meta' unit)

It's also a good idea to support two of the units in your arena core (Ike and Fjorm, in my case), as they will get the boost regularly. It won't boost your overall score, but it will make the goal of getting a deathless run much easier!

My core three is a  

• +6 Ryoma (+Spd/-Def) (Fury 3, Vantage, Aether, Heavy Blade Seal)
  • +10 Nino (+Spd/-Def) (Fury 3, Desperation 3, Glimmer, DD 3 Seal)
  • +0 Ephraim (+Res/-HP) (Atk+3 - For Now, Swordbreaker 3/ Lancebreaker 3, Hone Spd 3, Hone Res 3 Seal)

Sometimes I replace Ephraim with my +1 Camus (Fury 3, Quick Riposte 3, Spd+3 Seal)

Some times I might bring my PA!Azura, and if I'm lucky I can get my +Atk/-Def Alm in there too.

The 4th unit will always be a seasonal unit, and can be any color since I'm balanced already with R,G, and B units.

It's not a very great team though because it lacks counters, but I try to make it work. As a defense team I will get either a few defenses or several defenses.

My core three depends on the current popular unit in Arena  (as in Bonus units):

but mainly its: Claire, B!Ike, Gunnhtra (Saizo)

but this weak i used my other one: Deirdra, Micaiah and Lukas

It really depends for me what i like to use.

as for PVE content i use whatever i feel using, but i allways do GHB and BHB with Anna, Alfonse and Sharena in a Team. I like the challenge it puts you in on Infernal mode with those 3 and it really makes you scratch your head and built around them. Its very fun for me instead of going easy mode with Horse emblem or my +10 merges

Not really sure if I have a core. My Arena teams are often built around whichever bonus unit I go with. However, one unit that finds her way onto the team more often than not these days is Eirika. One of my first swords she was sidelined after a while due to being -ATK. At some point I got enough to get her to 4*+10 +ATK/-HP, but even then I didn't use her much until a couple months ago. But since then she has become a staple. And this week she has made the jump to 5*+5.

Since I can't actually watch defense wins I am not sure why she seems to work so well on Defense. It is entirely possible she isn't contributing much other than buffs. I just don't know. I just know that teams with her on it have never had an issue scoring multiple defense wins every weak. Maybe her peaceful nature and preference to solve conflict without violence convinces people to surrender peacefully to her team?

My current arena core:

Laslow (+10)
+Atk -Res

• Armoursmasher+ (Attack Refine)
  • Fury 3
  • Swordbreaker 3
  • Drive Speed 2
  • Reposition
  • Aether
  • Seal: Heavy Blade 3

Female Corrin (+10)
+Atk -Res

• Lightning Breath+ (Defense Refine)
  • Steady Breath
  • Quick Riposte 3
  • Drive Speed 2
  • Reposition
  • Aether
  • Seal: Close Def 3

Brave Ike (+10)
+Atk -Res

• Urvan
  • Distant Counter
  • Quick Riposte 3
  • Drive Speed 2
  • Rally Def/Res
  • Aether
  • Seal: Distant Def 3

Pretty much covers all the bases.

---

I think your other question already has a lot of good answers!  :):  I don't have anything to add to that.

Edited by Infinite Dreams