Valentia Accordion Translation Project Thread

2 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Duma and Mila are banished, Naga gives them a Falchion for when they degenerate (can be used by humans with divine dragon blood)

It doesn't expressly say "in case of degeneration" here, nothing like that is mentioned.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

Chapter 19
The ruler of the divine dragons was merciful, so before Duma departed, she gave him one of her own fangs, the Kingsfang.
(Official)

Chapter 20
Falchion was the name given to the blade carved from the Kingsfang. It was a sword of beginnings, an incarnation of the ruler herself.
(Official)

Sounds like more a symbolic gift of goodwill and coincidentally ultimate power to me. That Duma could have used it on Mila but didn't as Chapter 30 suggests and states, would indicate it was given with no hint of degeneration, since Mila could not have degenerated at this point.

That the Kingsfang Falchion retroactively needs dragon blood seems to be putting pressure on the Anri Falchion to be dragon blood-locked as well, adding in the Exalted Falchion is dragon blood-locked. Anri's Falchion doesn't need a db lock, it is its own thing, but there is lore pressure on it now. The issue here is that Naga died after making that Falchion and still needed time to reincarnate by the time of Anri. How could Anri have gotten the blood?

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That the Kingsfang Falchion retroactively needs dragon blood seems to be putting pressure on the Anri Falchion to be dragon blood-locked as well, adding in the Exalted Falchion is dragon blood-locked. Anri's Falchion doesn't need a db lock, it is its own thing, but there is lore pressure on it now. The issue here is that Naga died after making that Falchion and still needed time to reincarnate by the time of Anri. How could Anri have gotten the blood?

I think they kinda dug a hole for themselves there, yeah.

For what it's worth, Tiki in Awakening mentions Marth's ancestor from 1000 years ago, who can't be Anri, since he existed 100 years ago. So this mysterious ancestor may have forged a pact.

Some people believe the ancestor to be Sigurd (which makes sense since he has dragon blood), although I personally wonder if it's Ike (but this is probably a massive stretch).

EDIT

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. "Hero" is gender-neutral here, so Zofia is probably a woman and the same person as Zofia I.

Edited by VincentASM

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It doesn't expressly say "in case of degeneration" here, nothing like that is mentioned.

The book doesn't mention it, but Mila ingame does.

Mila: See well Falchion, which you now hold. It was carved from the fang of Naga, ruler of dragons, to sever the gods. For Naga knew there was but a creeping madness waiting at eternity’s end. It is a ruin all dragons share. And the only end is one of total destruction. Thus it was that Naga bestowed Falchion upon Duma. She did so to prepare for the day our madness would drive the land to ruin, that the people might have a means to destroy us. That Falchion might become the fangs they lack…and the hope they deserve.

Apparently Archanea's Falchion can only be used by Anri's (or his brother's) descendants, so maybe its locked to the blood of the first person who used it instead of a divine dragon's blood.

Edited by Lightchao42

8 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Some people believe the ancestor to be Sigurd (which makes sense since he has dragon blood), although I personally wonder if it's Ike (but this is probably a massive stretch).

Back in the day, before I knew my Archanean lore, I actually heard and believed this theory. Since Ike is a blue-haired commoner like Anri, and Falchion, since again I didn't really know Naga forged it, had infinite uses, like Ike's trusty Ragnell. So Falchion = Ragnell, and both are golden blades. Although even I, someone who does not hate Ike like some do, would find Ike as the progenitor of Marth, and presumably Chrom, and Lucina, a bit too much. Obviously Marth would NOT have taken after Anri then in his mannerisms, unless Ike learned to behave himself aboard. Aimee must have followed him to Archanea and began her own line of Anna-like daughters.

5 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

The book doesn't mention it, but Mila ingame does.

Well my mistake then. Fortunately there is a window between ~-1000 and -740 for Mila and Duma to have an awareness of degeneration, but not get caught up in the infighting. I guess the Dragon Tribes were already consider sharp euthanasia of the mad during that timespan.

Either that, or Naga was clairvoyant and saw degeneration would come long before it began, allowing for Mila and Duma to be exiled pre -1000 AC. She has all sorts of amazing magical powers after all.

4 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

I think they kinda dug a hole for themselves there, yeah.

For what it's worth, Tiki in Awakening mentions Marth's ancestor from 1000 years ago, who can't be Anri, since he existed 100 years ago. So this mysterious ancestor may have forged a pact.

EDIT

Sorry, I forgot to mention it. "Hero" is gender-neutral here, so Zofia is probably a woman and the same person as Zofia I.

I doubt it's Ike since I think from Priam's paralogue tellius is considered from another world. Sigurd would make some sense considering we know Jurgdal takes place in FE1/2/3/13's timeline many years in the past.

Barring retcons as they actually try to piece together a series bible, of course. Wouldn't be the first time. The awakening artbook posits that Grima may have been an earth dragon but I believe Forneus' records indicate it was made with divine dragon's blood, for example. Though you could also read it literally as theorized by scholars in-universe unknowing of Grima's origins, but, well, sometimes a retcon is just a retcon. FE writers even at the best of times can be pretty, ah, loose with their stories in a single game much less across other content. look forward to extensive ridiculous retcons in the fates artbook

Oh speaking of Forneus, Duma specifically leveling a siege against Thabes makes me wonder if that's where Forneus got his blood samples.

Yeah, I know Ike being Marth's ancestor is unlikely. Still, I am very suspicious of the possibility.

Indeed, Priam says that Tellius is from another world, but don't forget he also says Ike crossed over to Marth's world. Ike crossing over also explains why he went missing after the events of Radiant Dawn.

In addition, Chrom and Lucina can both use Aether, which Ike originally used. Unfortunately, Marth doesn't use Aether, but he does have Astra, Luna and Sol in his strongest incarnation.

But perhaps the biggest clue is that the developers admitted to basing Chrom off Ike. Then again, they also said that Ike is loosely based off Hector. So by that "argument", all three of them are related XD

Which I guess isn't impossible.

Duma's fear of the humans in Thabes was correct. Because this confirms that Grima had been created thousands of years before the degeneration existed. Grima existed in solitude, surrounded by corpses. 

Also, if Grima has been inside there, does this mean Grima may actually have been cause for Gharnef's madness? 

Because it's stated in Shadow Dragon that Gharnef's power is drawn from the apparatus in Thabes:

Malledus:
“Sire, we’ve pinpointed where Gharnef is keeping the magical apparatus that gives him his power.”

Marth:
“Where?”

Malledus:
“The Tower of Thabes atop this very temple.”

Marth:
“Then we don’t need to fight Gharnef…If we find those apparatus.”

Malledus:
“Gharnef’s power- a great deal of power- will be sealed forever.”

So was Gharnef's power drawn from Grima himself through Thabes? 

Did Grima manipulate Gharnef to start the war and revive Medeus? Was he possibly the one that actually told Loptyr to make blood pacts with humans to escape degeneration? Was Grima himself the one that actually caused the degeneration in the first place? 

Has Grima been the ultimate mastermind of the entire Fire EMblem series?!

LOL XD I'm not being fully serious here, but I think it's become rather interesting that Grima has existed for a VERY long time now.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

But perhaps the biggest clue is that the developers admitted to basing Chrom off Ike. Then again, they also said that Ike is loosely based off Hector. So by that "argument", all three of them are related XD

Which I guess isn't impossible.

Hmm...

Seliph, son of Sigurd, is actually the Hero of Renais, who wielded a sword and lance, presumably on a horse.

Ephraim is the hero of Valentian yore Rigel.

Alm is Roland of Lycia (okay the hair doesn't match color perfectly), whose wife is Celica.

Lilina, descendant of Roland and his wife like Roy, and also descendant of Hector and Lyn, is Elena wife of Greil.

Ike, the son of Elena, is Anri.

Marth, descendant of Anri of Altea, is ancestor of Chrom and Lucina.

Lucina left for her own time at the end of Awakening, and found a land untouched by Grima's darkness there where she became the ancestor of Corrin and Azura.

Male Corrin is Baldur, Crusader and founder of Chalphy.

There! Perfect time loop that unifies the series! Now everything makes sense for once. Until FE16 is finally revealed.

Except for TMS, Heroes, and Warriors. But I'm burnt from this mental exercise. Odin can be the ancestor of Rowan and Lianna, the Askr royals by Eirika, and TMS can be explained as a Archanea/Ylisse timespace crunch that happens after Lucina leaves, thus having the real Marth as its Marth. 

45 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

LOL XD I'm not being fully serious here, but I think it's become rather interesting that Grima has existed for a VERY long time now.

The thing is, if Thabes was left in ruin after this Duma-Naga incident, then why did Naga later seemingly choose to die there after sacrifice her final fangs?

But this is what happens when you try to connect a timeline from 1994-1996 with one from two decades later.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The thing is, if Thabes was left in ruin after this Duma-Naga incident, then why did Naga later seemingly choose to die there after sacrifice her final fangs?

But this is what happens when you try to connect a timeline from 1994-1996 with one from two decades later.

In the first place, she died there because reasons that Kaga never explained. But now, my presumption is that Naga went there to die because that was where the first civilization of humans she had helped forge. 

3 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Timeline part 1 of 8

Because it's only one page, there isn't a lot of new info.

We do learn a bit more about the pirate nation, as well as when the worship of Duma and Mila began. Also, the sage that developed the calendar system wasn't Halcyon, as I originally guessed.

Huh, very interesting. You know, I always attributed the case of this taking place even before the golden age of dragons, constantly thinking back thousands of years. But centuries is still plenty of time as well. 

Timeline part 1 of 8

Because it's only one page, there isn't a lot of new info.

We do learn a bit more about the pirate nation, as well as when the worship of Duma and Mila began. Also, the sage that developed the calendar system wasn't Halcyon, as I originally guessed.

Wait, the timeline is eight parts long? How much information does it have? It doesn't seem like it should be that long.

And now we can synch the Valentian timeline with Archanea's! 606 is the Archanean year that aligns with Valentia 402. 606 - ~3000 = ~ -2394! This is the Archanean year of Mila and Duma's arrival and long before the dragon degeneration began in -1000 AC. It also means Naga is really really old, but Tiki as of Awakening shouldn't surprise us that she could live that long.  The Golden Age of Dragonkind began in ~-4000 AC.

It also says "The gods' strength began to wane." at year 1 VC (or close to it)/205 AC. Degeneration took forever to happen for Mila and Duma, long after it began elsewhere, despite them using their power so much. But who is to say degeneration wasn't slow elsewhere? We never get to see the process happen in real time, only the end results and hear of the arguing over the issue when degeneration first becomes apparent.

And Berber? That is the name of the majority of North African ethnicity outside of Egypt (some Arabs live in North Africa, and the Berbers have for centuries been Arabized culturally). I coincidentally used the name for desert Valentians in my fanfict history.

Way to be a downer though on saying their sea god didn't exist. Yet it clarifies things about religion by getting rid of the idea of lesser "pagan-ish" gods existing in FE, which you're always left wondering about what they are doing in the FE world when everything big is happening and why we never see them. However, we still have room for less intelligent and human-like Telliusian Spirits to exist in Archanea. But! I guess Medusa existing leaves room for the "pagan-ish" deities existing after all.

As for human civilization, the "small pockets" which would continually disappear, do they mean human societies independent of the gods? Or was making scaleless Manaketes learn how to be civilized an arduous process that took up to three thousand years for Mila and Duma?

Also, use of the phrase "Exalted Falchion" to describe the weapon Duma carried, I'd guess this is meant to say just a full power Falchion, and not of course the curvy dragon tooth Chrom would poke Grima with later.

It is never said when Naga made the Anri Falchion by the way, the Archanean timeline only says it and the Binding Shield were sealed in the Fane of Raman in -500. Perhaps Naga died not in the sacrifice of making the blade and shield as I thought, but of old age or something else?

I wonder how long a dragon can live for. Tiki is ~1100 in SD, and would you say she looks like 5-8? Fast forward 2000 years and she looks ~18? So if we used a rough estimate of 1000 for a dragon = 5 in human aging. Then assuming a 60-80-100 human years lifespan, a dragon should be able to live up to 12000-16000-20000 years.

Lastly for this analytical post, the Divine Accord seems to me to provide the naming of this artbook. The Divine Accord- the creation of Valentia as it is known, of two halves each with a god. 

And I'm slow to this, but clearly the renaming of the continent prior to Awakening was a compromise. Valentia + Alm = Valm. Sadly somebody was forgotten when they didn't choose to rename it Valmica. 

I think the sea god thing might be meant as a cute nod to FE1's development. Originally there were several dragons, with Medeus being "Gaia" and a water dragon (repurposed for ice dragons in FE3, I think) god named Neptune. And obviously that never existsed, ergo...

As for "Exalted Falchion" I think it might just be the fancy title used sword any time its at full power. Echoes Marth's amiibo calls his "Exalted Falchion" for example.

Before I go to sleep, here's timeline part 2 of 8.

I love how Duma and Mila had to give people the Falchion to defeat a bunch of pirates : P

EDIT

Oh, that's a good idea about the Sea Dragons. Although I assumed it was referring to the Seabound Shrine or something.

Also, Exalted Falchion is a synonym for Divine Blade Falchion, which is the Falchion's full name in all of the Marth games.

Edited by VincentASM

6 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Before I go to sleep, here's timeline part 2 of 8.

I love how Duma and Mila had to give people the Falchion to defeat a bunch of pirates : P

EDIT

Oh, that's a good idea about the Sea Dragons. Although I assumed it was referring to the Seabound Shrine or something.

Also, Exalted Falchion is a synonym for Divine Blade Falchion, which is the Falchion's full name in all of the Marth games.

As comical and unthreatening as the pirates are in the game, I'm guessing a full nation's worth of these people who have full control on the sea were pretty dangerous.

I like how the threw in the desire thing. Like it's fine, it fits with how duma operates on Berkut for example, but it's still seeming like something where they went "hhhhh okay maybe the duma faithful are a bit too evil" and wanted to explain how someone like Jedah & Nuibaba rose to the top. It is interesting to see degeneration not just be "rabid beast" like I assumed, losing self-control & inhibitinos makes more sense before you become a horrifying singleminded zombie.

2 minutes ago, r_n said:

As comical and unthreatening as the pirates are in the game, I'm guessing a full nation's worth of these people who have full control on the sea were pretty dangerous.

I like how the threw in the desire thing. Like it's fine, it fits with how duma operates on Berkut for example, but it's still seeming like something where they went "hhhhh okay maybe the duma faithful are a bit too evil" and wanted to explain how someone like Jedah & Nuibaba rose to the top. It is interesting to see degeneration not just be "rabid beast" like I assumed, losing self-control & inhibitinos makes more sense before you become a horrifying singleminded zombie.

Yeah, I imagine it was comparable to, say, the viking invasion of England. Plus Mila and Duma's power was starting to wane, to the point they had to rely on blood pacts.

1 minute ago, VincentASM said:

Yeah, I imagine it was comparable to, say, the viking invasion of England. Plus Mila and Duma's power was starting to wane, to the point they had to rely on blood pacts.

I'm glad they've kept blood pacts going since...what...FE4? I think it was mentioned in game at that point

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It is never said when Naga made the Anri Falchion by the way, the Archanean timeline only says it and the Binding Shield were sealed in the Fane of Raman in -500. Perhaps Naga died not in the sacrifice of making the blade and shield as I thought, but of old age or something else?

Well, in New Mystery, Xane says this:

Naga took pity on you humans, with no way of protecting yourselves, so she created it from one of her fangs. Then, together with the shield, she sealed it in the fane, and had the remainin' dragon houses watch over humanity. She put the newly born Tiki to sleep and thus ended her 5,000-year life. 'Cause of all this, Gotoh's tryin' his best to carry out Naga's order. 

I dunno if she actually died of old age per se. Bantu is a Fire Dragon, and already looked like an old man in the Archanea series, yet is implied to still be alive by Awakening, which is 2000 years later. 

Naga's death I feel might be attributed due to the dragon war with the Earth Dragons, which I believe may have caused Naga to sustain heavy injuries that weakened her physically. Not to mention, aside from creating Falchion, she also went to Jugdral and created the Book of Naga tome that contained her power and will. If the war took a toll on her physically, this tome hurt her magically, and thus crippled her life force and caused her to die later on.

All of this is so cool.

So in exchange for locking Falchion to Rigel and thus Alm, they semi-lock Ragnarok to Zofia/Celica. I like this. Maybe the Forest Village was founded by a descendant of the heroine Zofia? That could explain Delthea. We'll have to see if they say something about this.

If it weren't for Pirates promoting in most games to Berserkers with really high attack and crit, I wouldn't mind seeing some of these pirates so strong you need legendary heroes to defeat them.

Now we know how Jedah came to power, Duma picked him as his brain cells began dying off. He probably was doing his god's bidding then, his god's bidding in his madness that is. Although Jedah if he was inherently corrupt, was probably doing double duty desiring whatever he wanted, including abuse of his god for personal benefit.

The Sluice Gate notes are interesting. Even with dragon god power it took 100 years to make, amazing, and explicable by the fact it runs right through the middle of a continent.

That Rigel benefitted more than Zofia from the Gate is understandable. Rigel is lacking in food as in, any improvement would keep people from starving, while Zofia would possibly more have to worry about the obesity rate going up than hunger (not that the former was an actual issue in the pre-contemporary world outside of the richest of people).

I like the Archanean parallel timeline part- aligns the different calendars neatly, saves me from having to do the minor math. And the lore additions here are splendidly unexpected.

Neat that the Macedonian Vikings (my favorite sports team by the way) are possibly where the big piracy issue came from. Now if only all those pirates could fly wyverns, that'd be a good fight in SoV. And it'd be silly if they suddenly rode Pegasus and could Triangle Attack us.

And I guess when the founder of the Kingdom of Archanea raided the Fane of Raman he stole the Regalia in addition to the Fire Emblem? How'd he miss the Falchion though? It is good to have the origins of the Regalia known though. Dragon-crafted implements, presumably without a blood component, and with less canonical power.

Not sure what they mean when they say the Fane might have a Valentian connection. Maybe some of the treasures of it, many if not all presumably of the Divine Dragons, once belonged to Mila and Duma? Could the Gradivus have been Duma's toothpick?

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

I dunno if she actually died of old age per se. Bantu is a Fire Dragon, and already looked like an old man in the Archanea series, yet is implied to still be alive by Awakening, which is 2000 years later. 

Naga's death I feel might be attributed due to the dragon war with the Earth Dragons, which I believe may have caused Naga to sustain heavy injuries that weakened her physically. Not to mention, aside from creating Falchion, she also went to Jugdral and created the Book of Naga tome that contained her power and will. If the war took a toll on her physically, this tome hurt her magically, and thus crippled her life force and caused her to die later on.

Thanks for the enlightening correction. 5000 years old if ~1000 = ~5 would put Naga at ~25 at death, with premature aging due to war wounds and stress, I could see like 45 at most. I can see Nagi/Awakening 

Then again, that 5000 number comes from long before Awakening was ever conceived of, which might have to expand the lifespan of dragons owing to Tiki reappearing and the decision to make it 2000 years after Mystery. I think they could have cut a thousand off that and set the First Exalt 600-500 years after Marth and then Chrom 400-500 years after that, but it doesn't really matter much.

34 minutes ago, r_n said:

I'm glad they've kept blood pacts going since...what...FE4? I think it was mentioned in game at that point

You'd be correct. Genealogy's Crusaders and their Holy Weapons were the original dragon blood pact weapons. They fell out of favor after Thracia 776 due to the end of all games being in one world with Elibe, but then Awakening brings the concept back and it's now alive again. The question is whether the next brand new FE will make use of them, or use its own magic logic in its own world.

Sorry for posting and commenting so much and not being an actual translator or contributing anything truly meaningful. I just really love world building and loved the Tellius Recollections every step of the way when they were translated here, maybe because I'm studying History academically.

53 minutes ago, r_n said:

On that note, I have a feeling the blood pacts in Radiant Dawn (as in the paper version) may have been a prototype.

Likewise, Tellius's Branded have similar properties to those who have a Brand. The only major difference is the extended lifespan, which may not apply to blood-bonded people since the blood is probably diluted.

I mean, I'm sure they thought about this when they decided to reuse the word "Brand".

Finally, this is sadly not canon, but the Goldoan dragons were originally developing dragonstones for combat. So it seems like Tellius was an origin for many things.

Edited by VincentASM

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I guess when the founder of the Kingdom of Archanea raided the Fane of Raman he stole the Regalia in addition to the Fire Emblem? How'd he miss the Falchion though? It is good to have the origins of the Regalia known though. Dragon-crafted implements, presumably without a blood component, and with less canonical power.

Not sure what they mean when they say the Fane might have a Valentian connection. Maybe some of the treasures of it, many if not all presumably of the Divine Dragons, once belonged to Mila and Duma? Could the Gradivus have been Duma's toothpick?

I don't think the regalia are dragon-crafted, they're just mighty artifacts kept in the Fane. Nothing in the blurb claims they're made, just stored there alongside Falchion.

On that note, I have a feeling the blood pacts in Radiant Dawn (as in the paper version) may have been a prototype.

I prefer to call those blood contracts rather than pacts since I attribute blood pacts in Fire Emblem to be the dragon human blood bond. And those blood contracts really doesn't make sense for any kind of prototype.

1 minute ago, r_n said:

I don't think the regalia are dragon-crafted, they're just mighty artifacts kept in the Fane. Nothing in the blurb claims they're made, just stored there alongside Falchion.

I dunno. They could be draconic in origin. These are very powerful weapons after all that are clearly somehow functioning to Awakening.

I prefer to call those blood contracts rather than pacts since I attribute blood pacts in Fire Emblem to be the dragon human blood bond. And those blood contracts really doesn't make sense for any kind of prototype.

I dunno. They could be draconic in origin. These are very powerful weapons after all that are clearly somehow functioning to Awakening.

They "function" in Awakening but you can't actually get them normally. They're renown-locked or available in the regalia DLC

But yes there's nothing proving they aren't dragon-made, but considering how they're just considered strong weapons I think they may just be that. 

1 minute ago, r_n said:

They "function" in Awakening but you can't actually get them normally. They're renown-locked or available in the regalia DLC

But yes there's nothing proving they aren't dragon-made, but considering how they're just considered strong weapons I think they may just be that. 

It has to be draconic one way or another. 

1) Made by a dragon and has a dragonstone, thus it functions similarly to the Jugdral Holy Weapons without the blood pact like Anri's Falchion, Aura, and Excalibur does. Gradivus' artwork seems to show that it resembles Gungnir and Gae Bolg rather closely.

2) Made by humans in Thabes from the knowledge and power given to them by dragons. 

It has to be draconic one way or another. 

1) Made by a dragon and has a dragonstone, thus it functions similarly to the Jugdral Holy Weapons without the blood pact like Anri's Falchion, Aura, and Excalibur does. Gradivus' artwork seems to show that it resembles Gungnir and Gae Bolg rather closely.

2) Made by humans in Thabes from the knowledge and power given to them by dragons. 

Well I mean everything is technically draconic if we go with #2 considering the dragons brought things like iron & fire (& by extension: the forge). Including all alcohol

It just seems if the 3 weapons were made by dragons, it'd have been mentioned in the 7 games they appear in or either artbook? But they just sort of exist without comment, just strong weapons that make their wielders feared. The closest thing we have to an origin is you can make them at any forge in Echoes out of blessed items but that's all quasi-canon.

But I guess to return to my original point, actual origins of the weapons aren't listed on the timeline, merely that the regalia were stored there.