Valentia Accordion Translation Project Thread

Well shit. That's gotta suck. And what a horrible lover and sister. Dude, if you wanted to leave her, do that, but you plotted to kill her? I have no sympathy for those two and am glad that Nuibaba exacted vengeance. And Nuibaba's obsession to maintain her youth makes perfect sense since she was actually betrayed by her lover and sister just cause they were tired of her scarred face.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My curiosity is piqued.

How the heck did Nuibaba manage to become a witch?

And what exactly does the term "witch" mean? As we learn it ingame, a witch is a woman who offered her soul to Duma in exchange for power, becoming a shell of a person. So why is Nuibaba called a "witch"? Is it a loose term now? Or is it supposed to refer to any woman who can use dark magic and is simply most commonly used to describe the Duma-puppets? Or something else??

Rhetorical questions. Musings.

May I cast a second vote? Or third depending on how you count. If so: the witch class.

45 minutes ago, Sock said:

My curiosity is piqued.

And what exactly does the term "witch" mean? As we learn it ingame, a witch is a woman who offered her soul to Duma in exchange for power, becoming a shell of a person. So why is Nuibaba called a "witch"? Is it a loose term now? Or is it supposed to refer to any woman who can use dark magic and is simply most commonly used to describe the Duma-puppets? Or something else??

May I cast a second vote? Or third depending on how you count. If so: the witch class.

duma witches probably are the most common and more of a fast-track to witchdom. It may not eve just be use of dark magic as it is continual usage of dark/forbidden magic.

I'm more surprised that the pact with Medusa was not the explicit thing that made her a witch, unless Medusa just gets there slowly.

1 hour ago, Sock said:

My curiosity is piqued.

Sure, no worries. : ) I'll add the witch class to the tally. Hopefully it'll reveal something.

1 hour ago, r_n said:

duma witches probably are the most common and more of a fast-track to witchdom. It may not eve just be use of dark magic as it is continual usage of dark/forbidden magic.

I'm more surprised that the pact with Medusa was not the explicit thing that made her a witch, unless Medusa just gets there slowly.

Yes, the feeling I got is something like that. The book was vague and just said "eventually became a witch" so through whatever means... xD They leave that up to us to figure out. Or perhaps the long life was there already from the pact but then had to sacrifice someone while obsessed with selfish desires such as beauty and power... or something. Let's see!

Thanks for all the people involved in the rips and translations. You're amazing

Silque and Kliff, please. I'm curious as to whether or not they used the novel as a source for their relationship

Wow, that description brought Nuibaba's character up a few pegs. It would've been nice for them to have snuck at least a few tidbits of that into the game, even though I do understand why it may not have been possible.

I look forward to seeing what useful bits of information was snuck into Duma and Grima's descriptions. 

Nuibaba went from "generic evil wizard" to "evil wizard that actually has a backstory". God damn, this is great. There's so much to Echoes that we haven't known about until now. Keep up the good work! Looking forward to Duma and Grima's profiles. And as one of the 10 people who likes Faye, i'd like to see what's on her profile as well.

I wanna see the story of the creation! I wanna see it say how Foreus had performed terrible inhumane torturous experiments on baby Grima, developing a grudge on humanity. And despite being sealed, Grima has always sensed what was happening outside, aware of the ongoing war. And how Grima escaped the seal and watched humanity for thousands of years and realized how humans suck.

The scaling on the two timelines looks odd here. Marth embarks in year 604 (coinciding with 399) but it must have been late in the year since he start for him to slay Camus, and yet Ezekiel shows up very close to the start of the year...

5 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

The scaling on the two timelines looks odd here. Marth embarks in year 604 (coinciding with 399) but it must have been late in the year since he start for him to slay Camus, and yet Ezekiel shows up very close to the start of the year...

Marth doesn't fight and defeat Camus until Chapter 20 of Shadow Dragon. Meaning that some time had to have passed before Marth confronted him.

47 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Marth doesn't fight and defeat Camus until Chapter 20 of Shadow Dragon. Meaning that some time had to have passed before Marth confronted him.

That's what I'm talking about: on the timeline it looks like it happened very close to the start of the year as indicated by the year 399/604 marks. The scaling is not very concise about how far into the year these things occur...

1 minute ago, X-Naut said:

That's what I'm talking about: on the timeline it looks like it happened very close to the start of the year as indicated by the year 399/604 marks. The scaling is not very concise about how far into the year these things occur...

You know what, I'll just associate it with a lack of space simply. 

I'm curious about how sealing works, because it seems as if the victim is treated as dead, despite the fact that Mila does talk to Alm and Celica during the endgame. Does it mean that the thing being sealed is in a half-dead state, being neither fully dead nor really alive, or does it mean that the thing sealed is really dead, but can still communicate with the beings of the world, and can be revived later? I ask this because Grima was sealed twice, came back both times, and appears to be able to talk to both Validar and Robin despite not being revived yet. Similarly, Duma's line about "never disturb our slumber" can be interpreted several different ways

Anyways, this timeline answered my questions about the Sluice gate (which I thought was a clever if pointless broken bridge in the original game, and I wondered what the heck it's function was supposed to be in the world itself), as well as how a man as corrupt as Desaix managed to gain so much power, as well as how Rigel got involved in the war years later (although that one was hinted at in the game itself). 

A question about the timeline; does it end at the same time the game does, or are there some events that transcribe after the game is over? The timeline seems to be moving at both a fast and slow pace, so I see either being possible, and I'm interested in seeing what Alm and Celica did in the first years of their reign and to finally see if their visit to Thabes labyrinth is canon or not.

This thread is made of spoilers, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

I'm curious about how sealing works, because it seems as if the victim is treated as dead, despite the fact that Mila does talk to Alm and Celica during the endgame. Does it mean that the thing being sealed is in a half-dead state, being neither fully dead nor really alive, or does it mean that the thing sealed is really dead, but can still communicate with the beings of the world, and can be revived later? I ask this because Grima was sealed twice, came back both times, and appears to be able to talk to both Validar and Robin despite not being revived yet. Similarly, Duma's line about "never disturb our slumber" can be interpreted several different ways

Duma and Mila did die in the end, but the case in dragons is that they generally have a lot of lifespan, particularly the Earth Dragons, they are put to a deep sleep. Medeus was said to have been "slain" twice, but he revives in both occasions with the final one being his final death.

Mila and Duma's remains ultimately became the Mila Tree and Demon's Ingle, so its safe to say that they have died for good.

2 hours ago, Hawkwing said:

It seems to depend on the situation.

It's not really clear whether Mila's sealing was lethal or not, but it's been shown in Awakening that dragon spirits can commune from beyond the grave. That said, Mila did seal the Falchion upon being slain, presumably by petrifying herself. In any case it matters not: if the Falchion didn't kill Mila, then having her petrified corpse shattered down to a head did.

Given that Grima's past sealing left behind a fossilized skeleton in Plegia, Grima definitely got killed. If anything, the sealing prevents him from coming back to life for a period of time.

11 minutes ago, X-Naut said:

Given that Grima's past sealing left behind a fossilized skeleton in Plegia, Grima definitely got killed. If anything, the sealing prevents him from coming back to life for a period of time.

That's because what is put to sleep/sealed is Grima's spirit. His body is destroyed, but so long as the spirit remains, once his life force and power grows strong enough, he would just recreate his body easily.

15 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

Timeline Part 7 of 8

I think most of this info is in the game.

I have also finished translating Part 8, but I need to edit it. There's some...er, interesting-ish info XD

"Snowfall in even random places" hm? I don't remember any snow until you cross the sluice gate, which is over in Rigel.