Valentia Accordion Translation Project Thread

42 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Also, the best case scenario with Forneus modelling the death masks off his wife is some weird thing about placing her on a pedestal, likely after her (probably untimely) death. Best case. Did he just shoot miles ahead of Orson?

Depends, did he ever ask a death mask to call him "darling", and perhaps fondle one? Maybe he, Orson, and Nergal can form a club?

I just changed my avi, but now I'm feeling like changing to Forneus

Spoiler

latest?cb=20080705004816

But it will be but a passing fad, so I won't. Yesterday I was head falling over heels for Nuibaba, today it's Forneus, who will it be tomorrow?

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Kirokan said:

So here is The Creation's profile. It doesn't actually say much, or anything --but that may be because they left that to the Secret lore that VincentASM is in the process of translating more of.

Duma is next on the tally. I'll try to do his concept art along with it (as well as Nuibaba as it mentions she wears a death mask, wonder if it's related to the above)

QCHO5aT.jpg

Wait what? Fafnirs? I do not recall seeing those.

Specifically stating it was sealed in its room and guarded by fafnirs (the fire dragons, i assume?) is odd

Like I said before, the entire dungeon is in dissaray & falling apart..but I'll put that aside, maybe the seals were just stronger. But, presumably Forneus died as he was writing his notes judging from it ending "abruptly". And none of his notes mention controlling dragons, for that matter. And he specifically wanted to kill it, not seal it away..in fact sealing it away would probably take more effort? I figured Grima just killed him basically instantly.

Maybe those 2 mysterious people, the one in flames and the winged one, weren't the first exalt & naga, then. Well, one of them could be Naga I suppose...if anyone could reign in feral dragons it'd probably be her. But maybe the notes were from before Celica & Alm came and these 2 journeyd into the dungeon to seal everything away?

e: Or the people writing all this just flubbed on what they wanted. fire emblem can be a bit inconsistent in the best of times.

Edited by r_n

Hmm the text indeed says Fafnirs! ( 邪竜ファフナー ) the katakana lined up with the enemy of the same name.

I'll review the paragraph in case of grammar errors I may have made.

What was around in the game itself?

EDIT: Looked at it again, the most I can change it would be "guarded by countless monsters including the wicked Fafnir." Are there any down there at all?

Also the wording may sound like the room was guarded by it, but I think they mean the Labyrinth as a whole.

Edited by Kirokan

5 minutes ago, Kirokan said:

Hmm the text indeed says Fafnirs! ( 邪竜ファフナー ) the katakana lined up with the enemy of the same name.

I'll review the paragraph in case of grammar errors I may have made.

What was around in the game itself?

iirc, there are 2 Fire dragons. One guarding the second half of the dungeon and another guarding some springs on the 8th floor

I'm not sure Fafnirs appear anywhere in the dungeon, where as those 2 are I think the onl fire dragons in the entire game. Maybe someone goofed? Warriors calls the "promoted" fire dragons Fafnirs, so some wires might have gotten crossed

2 minutes ago, r_n said:

iirc, there are 2 Fire dragons. One guarding the second half of the dungeon and another guarding some springs on the 8th floor

I'm not sure Fafnirs appear anywhere in the dungeon, where as those 2 are I think the onl fire dragons in the entire game. Maybe someone goofed? Warriors calls the "promoted" fire dragons Fafnirs, so some wires might have gotten crossed

These books have made mistakes before, so it may indeed be a mistake on the book side. I'll add a translation note that the book likely made an error and they meant those two fire dragons. Or perhaps I can change it directly in the translation ("guarded by countless monsters which included dragons")

Which approach do you all think is better?

1 minute ago, Kirokan said:

These books have made mistakes before, so it may indeed be a mistake on the book side. I'll add a translation note that the book likely made an error and they meant those two fire dragons. Or perhaps I can change it directly in the translation ("guarded by countless monsters which included dragons")

Which approach do you all think is better?

If you leave it as the direct change, it will probably cause confusion for people who were reading it on their own. And if the book ever comes West, then they'll probably not catch it either. Might be better to leave it as is but have a translation note

The pieces are all coming together now. 

Grima's existence may in fact have been known by the other Dragons. Think about it. If dragons got into Forneus's workshop, they must have seen the things in there. Not only that, but rememeber that this was a period when all dragons lived together in harmony. The Earth Dragons may in fact have been there. Loptyr may in fact have learned about the Thanatophagus from coming inside there and used that research for his cult later on to create the Deadlords.

Not only that, but this event may be the very reason why there is a seal that looks like the Shield of Seals on the door with a Fire Dragon guarding it. And why Duma ultimately feared the humans of Thabes if there was a madman that actually created a dragon like that. That's why he might have had Thabes be destroyed. 

Fafnir are summoned from one of the sigils in the battle against The Creation. ...Along with a crap load of other enemy types.

But other than that... Not sure why Fafnir in particular are mentioned. Dragons gathering to dragons?

6 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

And why Duma ultimately feared the humans of Thabes if there was a madman that actually created a dragon like that. That's why he might have had Thabes be destroyed. 

Now I'm questioning Naga's sanity...

Edited by Sock

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

The pieces are all coming together now. 

Grima's existence may in fact have been known by the other Dragons. Think about it. If dragons got into Forneus's workshop, they must have seen the things in there. Not only that, but rememeber that this was a period when all dragons lived together in harmony. The Earth Dragons may in fact have been there. Loptyr may in fact have learned about the Thanatophagus from coming inside there and used that research for his cult later on to create the Deadlords.

Not only that, but this event may be the very reason why there is a seal that looks like the Shield of Seals on the door with a Fire Dragon guarding it. And why Duma ultimately feared the humans of Thabes if there was a madman that actually created a dragon like that. That's why he might have had Thabes be destroyed. 

Here's an idea to follow on this (also man i totally forgot about the seal on the door! i should have refreshed myself): Naga, even if she didnt come in person, decides to bestow power on a hero (that guy in the azura flames) to assist in sealing it away alongside some other manaketes.

Basically, the origin of the rite of awakening was here and she reused its purpose hundreds of years later for the first exalt.

2 minutes ago, r_n said:

Here's an idea to follow on this (also man i totally forgot about the seal on the door! i should have refreshed myself): Naga, even if she didnt come in person, decides to bestow power on a hero (that guy in the azura flames) to assist in sealing it away alongside some other manaketes.

Basically, the origin of the rite of awakening was here and she reused its purpose hundreds of years later for the first exalt.

Eh not sure on that one. The Awakening ritual is something that was created in the time of the First Exalt. Perhaps it is at this point that Falchion's power had weakened and no longer able to fight Grima, so she blessed the power to realize its true power once more.

4 minutes ago, Sock said:

Now I'm questioning Naga's sanity...

Duma judged all of the people of Thabes for the actions of one man, and caused so many humans to be slaughtered. 

Edited by omegaxis1

8 minutes ago, r_n said:

If you leave it as the direct change, it will probably cause confusion for people who were reading it on their own. And if the book ever comes West, then they'll probably not catch it either. Might be better to leave it as is but have a translation note

That is more toward what I was thinking.

1 minute ago, Sock said:

Fafnir are summoned from one of the sigils in the battle against The Creation. ...Along with a crap load of other enemy types.

But other than that... Not sure why Fafnir in particular are mentioned. Dragons gathering to dragons?

I believe that was the point they were making, as they describe Fafnir with the same title as The Creation ("Fell Dragon") hence the "fittingly." Though that does not reflect in the translation as I'd have to write "Fell Dragon Fafnirs" or "Fell Fafnirs" which makes things more confusing. xD

1 minute ago, omegaxis1 said:

Eh not sure on that one. The Awakening ritual is something that was created in the time of the First Exalt. Perhaps it is at this point that Falchion's power had weakened and no longer able to fight Grima, so she blessed the power to realize its true power once more.

hmmmm

I'll admit I'm still married to the idea, so how about this: if this was at the dragon's peak (or near it), then Naga might have been stronger herself. She could just bestow power (or general power, not even specifically the sealing power needed for awakening), whereas later on it specifically needs the full shebang: falchion, shield of seals with all 5 gemstones, exalt blood, atop mount prism. 

I really do think the azure flames are meant to evoke the awakening ritual in some fashion, but I just don't have enough context. I was joking about it earlier but I do wonder if this will ever come back up again in FE Switch somehow. It's a very specific detail that seems unattached to what we know, even within the book.

9 minutes ago, r_n said:

hmmmm

I'll admit I'm still married to the idea, so how about this: if this was at the dragon's peak (or near it), then Naga might have been stronger herself. She could just bestow power (or general power, not even specifically the sealing power needed for awakening), whereas later on it specifically needs the full shebang: falchion, shield of seals with all 5 gemstones, exalt blood, atop mount prism. 

I really do think the azure flames are meant to evoke the awakening ritual in some fashion, but I just don't have enough context. I was joking about it earlier but I do wonder if this will ever come back up again in FE Switch somehow. It's a very specific detail that seems unattached to what we know, even within the book.

The hero comes from the west though, and Naga isn't really involved with Valentian matters.

By the way, some things I wanted to point out.

The timing of the mysterious pair's visit appears to be after Thabes was destroyed, hence the ruins. Also, if they have dragonstones, it would be after the dragons' crisis started. 

The dragonstones seem like a pretty significant detail too. It means they may not be Duma and Mila since those two never knew about dragonstones. Also, it points to dragonkin within the party.

On the other hand, when the narrator talks about dragonstones, they use a term only used by Kaga during Holy War. It refers to the jewels on Regalia type weapons like Falchion. So it is possible the party might not be Manaketes.

That said, I am not sure if that was the connection they were going for. Very, very few fans know about the dragon jewels. Rather, I imagine the narrator doesn't know what a dragonstone is and called it a dragon jewel.

Edited by VincentASM

3 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

Duma judged all of the people of Thabes for the actions of one man, and caused so many humans to be slaughtered. 

That's extreme, true enough. And I assume that's why Naga punished Duma.

But, in punishing Duma it seems like Naga wasn't going to do anything about Forneus the Demon Alchemist nor Grima the Abomination.

Was Naga just going to leave things be? Good grief. ...But, well, maybe Naga was planning some sort of intervention but Duma acted before Naga could. *shrug* My everything just collapsed on itself.

1 minute ago, Sock said:

That's extreme, true enough. And I assume that's why Naga punished Duma.

But, in punishing Duma it seems like Naga wasn't going to do anything about Forneus the Demon Alchemist nor Grima the Abomination.

Was Naga just going to leave things be? Good grief. ...But, well, maybe Naga was planning some sort of intervention but Duma acted before Naga could. *shrug* My everything just collapsed on itself.

What could Naga do? Forneus was dead already by then. Grima was there, but he was possibly too dangerous and they had no idea what would happen. Better to seal Grima away so that he could do no harm. And leaving dragons behind to serve as the guardians of the place was another thing. She did all they could, but in the end, Alm and Celica broke Grima out unintentionally.

9 minutes ago, VincentASM said:

By the way, some things I wanted to point out.

The timing of the mysterious pair's visit appears to be after Thabes was destroyed, hence the ruins. Also, if they have dragonstones, it would be after the dragons' crisis started. 

The dragonstones seem like a pretty significant detail too. It means they may not be Duma and Mila since those two never knew about dragonstones. Also, it points to dragonkin within the party.

On the other hand, when the narrator talks about dragonstones, they use a term only used by Kaga during Holy War. It refers to the jewels on Regalia type weapons like Falchion. So it is possible the party might not be Manaketes.

That said, I am not sure if that was the connection they were going for. Very, very few fans know about the dragon jewels. Rather, I imagine the narrator doesn't know what a dragonstone is and called it a dragon jewel.

oh wow, that's a deep cut

so mysterious

1 hour ago, Kirokan said:

So here is The Creation's profile. It doesn't actually say much, or anything --but that may be because they left that to the Secret lore that VincentASM is in the process of translating more of.

Duma is next on the tally. I'll try to do his concept art along with it (as well as Nuibaba as it mentions she wears a death mask, wonder if it's related to the above)

QCHO5aT.jpg

The image isn't showing up

Silly thing: check out the Archanean years on pages 3 and 4 of the timeline. 588->590->589 Whoops.

Also...some of the years aren't matched properly to the Valentia years...which is causing me distress... mfjfdsgjrnbsjrnwa don't get me started

This is interesting, I've always had an interest in the thanatophages since learning of them so it's nice to read more about them. It also explains Grima's ability to influence them as Forneus created them and they could be controlled by him, and Grima seems to be a more eloborate form of thanatophage but with divine dragon blood and Forneus's own blood.

4 hours ago, Sock said:

Silly thing: check out the Archanean years on pages 3 and 4 of the timeline. 588->590->589 Whoops.

Also...some of the years aren't matched properly to the Valentia years...which is causing me distress... mfjfdsgjrnbsjrnwa don't get me started

What the. Ahaha, the year going backwards is a mistake in the book.

Yeah, the years not overlapping confused me. At least it got better near the end.

@Kirokan

Here is the rest of the Thabes stuff. Nothing ground-breaking, but it's nice to have everything together.

A Mage's Account

While at Forneus's workshop, I watched him study a moving corpse.
It was too much for me; I fled in fear.
The man was insane.

I ponder if his research trespassed the grace of the gods.
If he were left unattended, would he bring calamity to this city?

Oftentimes, one can hear a terrifying voice from behind the sealed door.
Like a baby, but like a monster...

Although Forneus committed a great sin, he must have
been trying to create a god.
I think his insanity started ever since he lost his
beloved wife.

The Senate's Account

In Thabes, lived an alchemist named Forneus, proclaimed for his genius.
At the beginning, he was marveled. In time, he would be feared by all.
In the deepest part of Thabes, Forneus's workshop can be found.

Two matters consumed Forneus, and he spent his life in their pursuit.
The first was how to mobilise the dead and control them as his army.
The second was the creation of a singular, perfect being.

At one time or another, there were rumours of people mysteriously
disappearing near the vicinity of Forneus's workshop.
We senators urged Forneus to come forth for discussion,
and we repeatedly sent missives, but he refused to respond.

Eventually, soldiers were dispatched to Forneus.
They were strong soldiers who ranked among the best in Thabes.
Not one of them returned.

Finally, the Thabes Council chose to seal Forneus’s workshop
with him inside it, deep within the underground; the path
to the workshop was permanently sealed with the Sage's Shield.

The seal they used was made to last until the city crumbled to sand.
That way, none shall disturb the demon alchemist Forneus.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

A Mage's Account

So Forneus apparently wasn't alone in Thabes Tower. Makes sense that it was, well, a tower, so of course there could be other workers besides him. They probably left as soon as the gist of Forneus's experiments came to light (or some of them disappeared...).

That, or said mage was an embassy who realized what Forneus was doing pretty quickly and high-tailed it out of there as soon as (s)he could. Both explanations work.

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

Finally, the Thabes Council chose to seal Forneus’s workshop
with him inside it, deep within the underground; the path
to the workshop was permanently sealed with the Sage's Shield.

The seal they used was made to last until the city crumbled to sand.
That way, none shall disturb the demon alchemist Forneus.

So they permanently sealed Forneu's workshop, but only if the building was still standing. I'm not certain if that was a lack of foresight, or they were expecting the building to be well-maintained by the local populace, telling them it would prevent a calamity.

Apparently Duma didn't get the memo, or thought the seal wouldn't last forever, and that it could backfire by allowing Grima to grow in power with all that time to itself, and decided that destroying Grima was the only way to be sure. Naga had other plans, apparently, and having the building and seal remain intact was one of them.